Saints 1 Norwich 0 - For Once We Score A Late Winner!

St Chalet

Only the second game of the season that I haven't seen so won't comment, albeit it sounded dull on the radio. However can we all celebrate the fact that we had six academy graduates in our starting line up and still progressed. Surely that is a big positive, and we have rested senior players ahead of a gruelling three games in six days starting Sunday

Ssssssh !!

Awful first half, one of the worst I've ever seen. Once we put Redmond and Romeu on Norwich barely got out of their half and it was only a matter of time before we scored. Thankfully it was just before the final whistle because I really didn't want to watch another 30 minutes.

Quick player summary:

Lewis - had nothing to do

Martina - awful. Slowed down play, couldn't cross, made more wrong decisions in one game than Cedric does all season.

Yoshida - decent, but relatively untroubled. A couple of bad passes, but that's par for the course

Stephens - solid enough, didn't do much wrong but had little defending to do

McQueen - got forward well, excellent cross for the goal but many other crosses were cut out by the first man

Reed - didn't do much. Game largely passed him by

Claise - A few nice passes and interceptions mixed in with some slack passes which gave away the ball

JWP - standard sideways and backwards passes. He did put in a shift though.

Sims - tried his hardest. Broke through the lines a few times with nice dribbles, had a couple of powderpuff shots.

Rodriguez - ran around a bit

Long - looked frustrated stuck out on the left, would have caused more problems if people spotted his runs

Romeu - drove us forward for the final 20 minutes

Redmond - ran at players, forced them back, looked threatening. Did well in the build up to the goal.

OK, I was there...

It was cold!

We were not good but infinitely superior to Norwich who were awful

Martina was awful

McQueen, Stephens, Maya were good, Clasie ok, Oriel and Redmond added forward impetus when they came on

No booing any stage...apart from decisions!

Very few left early, less than a norma;l league game I'd say

Some of you feckers who do all the moaning should take in a game once in a couple of seasons perhaps...thought the crowd, sparse though it was, tried to lift the team in the second half as we struggled to get going and stayed with the team...supporting it's called!

Nicely put and about how I saw it. I'd put sims in the good category too, despite going missing here and there. If you had a very good category I'd pop McQueen in that, great performance.

Not as pathetic as we are at the moment.

All we ask is for a decent performance. As someone who's watches and investes £700 + into the club every year, I think I'm entitled to moan if the team are continually performing as they are.

That's the crux of it. If anything, being unsatisfied despite getting a win just emphasises how unhappy many people are at the style of football being employed. It doesn't make someone less of a fan to express dissatisfaction at largely dull performances.

It was a teamful of strangers who looked like they had never played together before. Lots of short passes going astray.

There was a moment when that song popped into my head tonight (Strangers in the night).

That was turgid to say the very least, if Shane had put that in with his hand in full view of the ref, he would have still given it just to avoid another 30 mins of turgidness in the cold!

The cheer when it went in wasn't so much celebrating the goal, but the fact that we would all be going home sooner than than it was looking seconds before.

We are missing a spark, someone to ignite a game, Pelle could drive you up the wall then un pick a lock, Mane was random and unpredictable. Currently we look to have a team of ordinary players, maybe heavy rotation has become a hinderance more than a well meaning tactic. But even with what many would consider to be the 1st team what spark there is, is a weak one, which is possibly why VVD always looks to be considered "too good for us" to many onlookers.

Maybe as someone commented on Solent as we drove home "this season has to be considered as a transitional season" and when you look at the amount of players we have sold over the past few summers, perhaps we have to view it as such.

Just as an aside I heard the stupidest comment being made in the gents as I exited, "I would prefer us to be knocked out of the League cup for a good run in the FA Cup"................ WTF????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought all the fruit loops only lived on here shielded by their keyboards.

Is it really that surprising? After some of the turgid rubbish I've had to endure this year I really couldn't have cared less about this game. Can't say I've felt like that much since the takeover.

To be honest I wasn't massively enthusiastic but I'm always going to turn up whatever game it is. As far as I'm concerned it's Saints, and whatever our form or position it's infinitely preferable to being sat indoors.

Awful first half, one of the worst I've ever seen. Once we put Redmond and Romeu on Norwich barely got out of their half and it was only a matter of time before we scored. Thankfully it was just before the final whistle because I really didn't want to watch another 30 minutes.

Quick player summary:

Lewis - had nothing to do

Martina - awful. Slowed down play, couldn't cross, made more wrong decisions in one game than Cedric does all season.

Yoshida - decent, but relatively untroubled. A couple of bad passes, but that's par for the course

Stephens - solid enough, didn't do much wrong but had little defending to do

McQueen - got forward well, excellent cross for the goal but many other crosses were cut out by the first man

Reed - didn't do much. Game largely passed him by

Claise - A few nice passes and interceptions mixed in with some slack passes which gave away the ball

JWP - standard sideways and backwards passes. He did put in a shift though.

Sims - tried his hardest. Broke through the lines a few times with nice dribbles, had a couple of powderpuff shots.

Rodriguez - ran around a bit

Long - looked frustrated stuck out on the left, would have caused more problems if people spotted his runs

Romeu - drove us forward for the final 20 minutes

Redmond - ran at players, forced them back, looked threatening. Did well in the build up to the goal.

What an absolutely spot on post. Exactly as I saw it. I thought Stephens looked very cool but I'd like to see him perform under more pressure.

I've never seen a goal celebrated with such relief. All of us couldn't face any more of that.

I was chucked out of my normal Kingsland seat so had an Itchen seat behind the dugout. The most interesting view was watching Puel, he was as frustrated by our turgid display as the fans. I get the impression he wants a lot more from the players or just more players.

Clearly need to do something as JROD and Long certainly don't have goals in them at the moment.

I expect free beer from the club at the Arse game for turning out for that game.... desperate.

But hey a win is a win so on we go. We've had worse seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A really dire, dour match in freezing conditions. Norwich were truly awful, but we didn't deign to put them under the sort of pressure that would have made them crack. Too much sidewards and backwards passing as usual, one of the worst candidates being Martina, whose first thought whenever he gets the ball is to ignore the potential to run it past players or take it up the wing. I suppose that having such a weak defence on paper with only Yoshida as first choice option in the absence of Fonte, we should be grateful that Norwich didn't manage to force a single save from our rookie goalkeeper. The midfield just about did OK, but there was no threat in the final third and to at least have the option of that, we needed the likes of Bertrand and Cedric out wide with pace. McQueen was solid on the left, but did not have the movement from Long or Rodriguez for much of the game.

Just as it seemed that the match would go to extra time and penalties, Puel made the changes that tipped the balance finally and firmly in our favour, by bringing on Romeu and Redmond for Reed and Rodriguez. Romeu added more backbone to the midfield and Redmond added some quick feet and guile up front. The effect was almost an instant improvement as we moved the ball around with greater purpose and pace and there were real chances that began to be carved out. As we failed to convert them, it began to seem as if we wouldn't take advantage of our superiority, but for once, Lady Luck smiled on us right at the death in extra time, the perfect time to kill the match. McQueen's persistence and a great cross found Long, who had his initial shot parried out, but was able to bundle it over the line to break Norwich hearts.

With the absence of key players and the need to have half an eye on the weekend match, we were forced to field really quite a weak team, but thankfully there was still enough on the bench to get us over the line.

At half time, Claridge on 5 Live summed it up perfectly - the system doesn't suit the players.

It should not have taken as long as it did for us to score. In fact this match should never have been played at all.

Now. Important game Sunday - simply have to grab the three points against Leicester.

What I would ask is what players would suit this system?

To be honest I wasn't massively enthusiastic but I'm always going to turn up whatever game it is. As far as I'm concerned it's Saints, and whatever our form or position it's infinitely preferable to being sat indoors.

I was playing football myself. I expect I would have listened on the radio had I not been but I do find myself not minding too much if I happen to miss a game these days. It's a sad state of affairs.

even the solent commentators said we play sleep inducing football, we got a slice of luck at the end but tbh our performance didn't deserve the win.

Yes we did - in the second half we were vastly better than them - but it was a mind-numbing game. Sims my MoM on the grounds that he tried to make things happen although not always successfully. MacQueen also worthy of mention.

I was playing football myself. I expect I would have listened on the radio had I not been but I do find myself not minding too much if I happen to miss a game these days. It's a sad state of affairs.

Fair enough. Enjoy it while you can, I'm only 40 and my knee is knackered to the point where I can't even manage to stroll around in a game of 5 a side these days. Something which I find far more frustrating than any Saints performance.

There was a moment when that song popped into my head tonight (Strangers in the night).

That was turgid to say the very least, if Shane had put that in with his hand in full view of the ref, he would have still given it just to avoid another 30 mins of turgidness in the cold!

The cheer when it went in wasn't so much celebrating the goal, but the fact that we would all be going home sooner than than it was looking seconds before.

We are missing a spark, someone to ignite a game, Pelle could drive you up the wall then un pick a lock, Mane was random and unpredictable. Currently we look to have a team of ordinary players, maybe heavy rotation has become a hinderance more than a well meaning tactic. But even with what many would consider to be the 1st team what spark there is, is a weak one, which is possibly why VVD always looks to be considered "too good for us" to many onlookers.

Maybe as someone commented on Solent as we drove home "this season has to be considered as a transitional season" and when you look at the amount of players we have sold over the past few summers, perhaps we have to view it as such.

Just as an aside I heard the stupidest comment being made in the gents as I exited, "I would prefer us to be knocked out of the League cup for a good run in the FA Cup"................ WTF????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought all the fruit loops only lived on here shielded by their keyboards.

Wasn't that the truth :(

Still in 2 cups by end of Jan , long time since we could say that.

Beat the team that beat Koemans Everton at Goodison earlier in the season. So pleased about that.

Performances don't count for nothing in the cup, the only thing that matters is reaching the next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair points from most of the guys who were there but some silly comments from a few who weren't !

Positives for me were that McQ, Stephens, Sims and Lewis got some game time and didn't let themselves down !

Poor as a spectacle but overall satisfactory as we progress to the next round !

Well Shlong did his very best to head it straight at the goalkeeper who was so surprised at his generosity that he threw it straight back to him to eventually kick it over the line from 4 1/2 inches.....

I think both managers had a coin toss before the match, with the understanding that the loser of the toss would throw it in time added on if it was still a draw at 90 minutes.

The most disappointing player for me was JWP. Now I know it is easy to jump on his back, but today was a perfect opportunity to show what he has in his locker, to dominate the midfield, to create chances. He should be a creator, but no, nothing save for good delivery of dead balls. Not only should he be creative, he should be scoring goals. I guess he should be doing what Lallana did. I really do want him to be a success, but those genius sparks are few and far between and today would have been a perfect time for him.

If, as we are being lead to believe, Puel is here for the long term, then is this season not just about him seeing what we have, and what he needs for the coming seasons, at least he is playing the kids. its not pretty, but would love to see a manager that has come here to really work on a project, staying up is the priority, i would give him a couple of seasons. we arent one of the big six and constantly changing the gaffer is stupid. give him time....

For those who were there tonight, how many cracks were papered over tonight?

The major downside was exactly as it has been all season !

Complete inability to take our chances ! We had 20 shots with 10 on target which were mostly powderpuff efforts so the main crack is not being papered over, it is there for all to see !

General play is normally better than the opposition but our ratio of goals to chances created is abysmal !

Would love to sign an experienced striker in this window but somehow I doubt that it will happen !

For those who were there tonight, how many cracks were papered over tonight?

A win is better than a loss, but that's about all I can take from that game.

Didn't really have a clear view of the goal, but we generally showed as much confident attacking swagger as we have all season, ie none.

Worst moment for me was in the first half when Long, JayRod and McQueen all stood around the left wing area passing the ball to each other with no idea what to do. The closest person in the box at that time was Clasie. Not really ideally setup for a cross.

One day we might actually try and release one of our attackers when they make a run. Until then, we'll just pass sideways or back, nice and safe. Yawn.

Saw an interesting statistic on the TV this morning. Team with the most crosses in the PL, Saints with 560. Next was Man Utd with 519. Didn't see the game this morning (just as well by the sound of it) but watching the Burnley game at the weekend, every time a cross came in, no player attacked it, they just waited for the ball to come to them with the obvious outcome. So frustrating. This is one of the big reasons no goals are being scored. Where is the hunger?

Back from the game - I think the cheers for Long's goal were more because we didn't have to sit through another half an hour in the bitter cold watching that turgid crap than for the winning goal itself! Honestly it was a dull game, but we were in total control of it. I've never felt so calm about our defending, especially as the back 4 worried me pre-match. Norwich offered nothing; they came for penalties and we struggled to break them down. Thank God for the winning goal. Even the wife (Norwich fan sitting silently to my left in the Chapel) was relieved when Long scored.

Ratings as I saw it:

Lewis 6 - never will a keeper have less to do. This was not a test for him.

Martina 6 - poor in attacking sense until the last 15 minutes when he started to care a bit.

Stephens 6 - looked composed at centre back, though was not tested.

Yoshida 6 - again had little to do. Distribution was OK.

McQueen 7 - our most promising attacking outlet.

Clasie 6 - needs to dictate a game more.

Reed 7 - thought he was composed before he was replaced.

JWP 6 - tried a few things, but tried too hard at times.

Sims 7 - tried hard to make things happen, looked lively. My MOTM just...

JRod 5 - bad day with little service. Looked frustrated at times.

Long 7 - was really trying all game, never gave up. Looked better in the middle.

Subs: Redmond 7 - looked bright when he came on, we picked up in attack when he was on.

Romeu 7 - bossed the midfield when he came on. Showed more offensively than Reed.

The ref wasn't flashing about the cards which was good. One thing to note negatively about our performance besides the misplaced passes was that for all our possession, which we had a lot of, there was no cutting edge. We're missing an attacking midfielder to link midfield with attack. Maybe the formation needs tweaking...

Still in 2 cups by end of Jan , long time since we could say that.

Beat the team that beat Koemans Everton at Goodison earlier in the season. So pleased about that.

Performances don't count for nothing in the cup, the only thing that matters is reaching the next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizarre.

You need your bumps feeling if you try to spin this as a satisfactory state of affairs.

Or you are trolling.

But then he did see it...and goes regularly...and is accurate in those statements. Positive is under 'P' in the dictionary - look it up?

Its not the accuracy of his statements that is at issue, its everything he has left out.

And attendance or not does not validate or invalidate statements about how sh*t, dull and toothless we are currently.

Spin is under "S" in the same book.

Two or three comments. McQueen, head and shoulders the best player on the park, although too many crosses didn't beat the first man.

Reed, no idea what fans have been bleating on about. Slow, short (obviously, but in the smallest midfield in history it does matter) and very limited on the ball. Needs time out on loan, not the odd game here and there.

Classie, passenger, again.

Why one earth we played three exactly the same midfielders is beyond me. They pass square, then drop off. We went no where all night.

That's the crux of it. If anything, being unsatisfied despite getting a win just emphasises how unhappy many people are at the style of football being employed. It doesn't make someone less of a fan to express dissatisfaction at largely dull performances.

It does make someone less of a fan to say they couldn't have cared less about this game.

Edited by whelk

Two or three comments. McQueen, head and shoulders the best player on the park, although too many crosses didn't beat the first man.

Reed, no idea what fans have been bleating on about. Slow, short (obviously, but in the smallest midfield in history it does matter) and very limited on the ball. Needs time out on loan, not the odd game here and there.

Why one earth we played three exactly the same midfielders is beyond me. They pass square, then drop off. We went no where all night.

Agree that midfield combo should never be used again. Redmond is much needed and when he was on we created so much more.

Lay off Martina he ran more than anyone and numerous overlaps was not played in by the sideways mini midfield of Sims, JWP Clasie and Reed. Sims was awful first half I would have subbed him. Better second when Norwich tired, we passed them to death..

But how can we keep missing open goals?? Redmond, Sims, Long with an earlier header all culpable! Not Puels fault unless we don't do shooting practice!

And when the ground is only half full, PLEASE kick toward the Northam second half!

Agree about the limitations of last nights midfield, but I think you've missed the main culprit having criticised Reed and Clasie.

Lay off Martina he ran more than anyone and numerous overlaps was not played in by the sideways mini midfield of Sims, JWP Clasie and Reed. Sims was awful first half I would have subbed him. Better second when Norwich tired, we passed them to death..

But how can we keep missing open goals?? Redmond, Sims, Long with an earlier header all culpable! Not Puels fault unless we don't do shooting practice!

And when the ground is only half full, PLEASE kick toward the Northam second half!

I disagree on Martina, I though he was gash. No surprise he wasn't getting the ball as the game progressed. But yes, Sims was terrible first half.

Yeah, people who don't give a balanced opinion can be quite annoying, can't they...? ;)

Especially when they only go to see a game when Saints play pre season friendlies in Austria. I (most of the time) just bypass his whinging as I know there will be nothing and I mean absolutely nothing positive about SFC.

Still in the cup and that is what matters most. Form can improve but once you are out of the cup that's it.

Regardless of the team's performances we are still in the hunt for one of our best cup years. A draw at Pool gives us a final and a home tie against Arse should be a good game - they won't be too keen on coming here, we've had some good results against them in recent years and the players will be up for it.

I don't believe we are a bad team, just need that striker + box to box mid to unlock the rest of the players.

It was a **** game but when one side isn't interested in playing its never going to be a great game.

Biggest issues were Long and Jrod doing the mannequin challenge up front. They're supposed to be our best strikers yet they either don't make enough movement upfront or can't time a run to stay onside. Its going to be a long second half of the season if we are relying on them and not getting in another option up front.

The other problem was picking the most un-dynamic midfield options we have it has to be JWP/Clasie and Hoj/Davis playing playing Clasie and JWP together is a recipe for a ****e sandwich.

Positives are we are through ( and in the cups that's all that really matters) and the performances of McQueen and Sims.

I don't get a chance to get to many games, and last night was the only one I've managed this season so far.

What a game to pick! It was brilliant................as a demonstration of what a really boring match looks like.

All joking aside, happy/relieved to get the win. Norwich didn't seem to want it, and were there for the taking. We looked really poor IMO. Totally devoid of ideas or creative spark. Whether that's because the players aren't on the ball, or because they've been told to stay regimented and play it safe, I don't know. All I do know is that last night, most of them looked properly miserable. Something's definitely off the boil with the team, and I'm no bedwetter. I've remained upbeat about the season, but actually watching first hand last night just showed how frustrating we are to behold. Somebody! Anybody! Please, please try and shoot! I don't know if it's a confidence thing, or what. But it is dire to watch. Still, a win, is a win, and a fair few players did put in a shift.

Lewis - had nothing to do, so couldn't put a foot wrong!

Martina - OK in parts, but slows the attack down so badly. None of the decent crosses we've seen him do in the past.

Stephens - Composed, looked decent when called upon, but wasn't really tested.

Yoshida - Likewise. A couple of missed passes, but looked cool and had a pop at Lewis (who I'm guessing wasn't instructing the wall concisely) when we were defending a freekick in a captain-sort of way.

McQueen - Best player for us. Worked his socks off, gave his all. My only grievance was the quality of his crossing and shooting. He didn't look left-footed (he may not be?) Otherwise, decent performance.

Clasie - OK, nothing amazing. Couple of sloppy passes, closed down quickly and aggressively though. Useful.

Reed - Not his best came. Ineffective, lucky not to get booked.

JWP - Incisive runs, long-range diagonal balls, some killer through-balls and was unlucky not to score 3 or 4 times*

Sims - Did well. Lots of energy, ran the ball to the box plenty of times, looked up, and found nobody to pass to. Norwich had everyone defending, and our forwards weren't doing much to make room. Inevitably lost the ball. Felt for him.

Long - Completely ineffective on the left. Better when moved into the centre, but didn't really do much. Ball played to his feet all the time, which, with all due respect, is not something he's good at. Didn't do much, fortunate he got the goal.

JRod - Didn't offer much. Fed scraps at times, but didn't do much to try and make the best of them. Pea-roller shot in the first half about all he did. Gutted, I was hoping he'd make the difference.

Romeu and Redmond - Big difference when they came on. Romeu actually tries to pass through the opposition, rather than just around them. Redmond didn't seem to do much himself, but the team definitely pressed a lot more when he came on.

If we'd have played Newcastle last night, we'd have been spanked silly.

* not really.