Leciester Build-up Thread

SuperSAINT

Here's some quotes from the Leicester fans

Can't be right.

Southampton has the global exclusive rights on the "the opposition are bang out of form so that means they'll beat us" rule. This is crazy to suggest other fans could even think that.

So much of the moaning about Puel's rotation is based on mad numbers. He believes that for some of our players, the way to get the most out of them is to start them once a week. So in a period where we're playing two games a week, there are essentially four or five positions which shift. If you calculate rotations based on number of changes in each individual match over the prior game, that looks like a huge amount of rotation. But if you looked at just the teams picked for the premier league, there's far more consistency. Rotating back to the same-ish team time and again allows plenty of opportunity for players to learn each other's skills. Meanwhile, a broader squad is built with playing experience. I'm hopeful we see a great game tomorrow... (though we'll miss Davis. he's a rockstar).

Here's some quotes from the Leicester fans

"No crap bus parking possession conceding tactics.

we know we are going to hoof like ****ing nobs

Don't expect anything different in this away game, defeat, more confusing tactics, more frustration

we're dreadful when we set up to keep it tight. Which is most games these days, unfortunately. Surely the penny will drop before long?"

Were they moaning about these same tactics when they won them the league?

They must have a similar share of block-headed know-nothings as we do.

Reed was talking in his interview the other week that whilst we're comfortable this year Leicester are in a relegation battle, ironically they could go above us with a win on Sunday and he'll have egg on his face once again. Given up trying to predict our scores so will just say I hope we smash them on Sunday and get the feel good factor back again, its been a chore going to watch us recently.

Predicting Saints goals these days is a simple binary choice.

We score

We don't score

Getting boring

So much of the moaning about Puel's rotation is based on mad numbers. He believes that for some of our players, the way to get the most out of them is to start them once a week. So in a period where we're playing two games a week, there are essentially four or five positions which shift. If you calculate rotations based on number of changes in each individual match over the prior game, that looks like a huge amount of rotation. But if you looked at just the teams picked for the premier league, there's far more consistency. Rotating back to the same-ish team time and again allows plenty of opportunity for players to learn each other's skills. Meanwhile, a broader squad is built with playing experience. I'm hopeful we see a great game tomorrow... (though we'll miss Davis. he's a rockstar).

Sunday 12:00 GMT so 07:00 EST :)

Can't say I'm looking forward to the game much - I want to but the boring rubbish served up cold by Puel is just ******* driving me mad. Leicester will be parking the bus and trying to get something on the break - once they score we'll be stuffed. 0-0 if we're lucky otherwise 0-2 or 1-2. Yes it's a wholly negative view - seemed only a short time ago I went to a game thinking we could beat anyone on our day - now it's the complete opposite.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the game much - I want to but the boring rubbish served up cold by Puel is just ******* driving me mad. Leicester will be parking the bus and trying to get something on the break - once they score we'll be stuffed. 0-0 if we're lucky otherwise 0-2 or 1-2. Yes it's a wholly negative view - seemed only a short time ago I went to a game thinking we could beat anyone on our day - now it's the complete opposite.

I think a lot of us would agree with just about every word of that. The whole matchday experience right now (the dull football on offer and even duller crowd support) is no fun whatsoever. But, no doubt, I'll keep on going...

When was this?

All I can remember over the past few seasons is you happily predicting defeat after defeat and then going very quiet when we won. And a quick check of your posting history backs this up.

When was this?

All I can remember over the past few seasons is you happily predicting defeat after defeat and then going very quiet when we won. And a quick check of your posting history backs this up.

*Drops mike and walks off

I think a lot of us would agree with just about every word of that. The whole matchday experience right now (the dull football on offer and even duller crowd support) is no fun whatsoever. But, no doubt, I'll keep on going...

A lot of us won't. Merson predicts an exciting game.

To clarify won't be agree with the post not keep going on.

Edited by whelk

I really can't understand people like you. Whinge whinge ****ing whinge. Football is about entertainment, and you have said quite categorically that you find it dull. Why on earth then do you keep on going if you find it dull? Do you really have nothing else less dull to do?

Play the same team that beat Norwich. Get some consistency and confidence going. Never going to happen is it? The rotation lunacy will continue. Southampton nil. Christ it's a desperate negative way to approach a game of football. I have a lot in common with Puel. Sooner he buggers off the better. Poisonous.

What's lunacy is wanting to keep the same team that started V Norwich.

Play the same team that beat Norwich. Get some consistency and confidence going. Never going to happen is it? The rotation lunacy will continue. Southampton nil. Christ it's a desperate negative way to approach a game of football. I have a lot in common with Puel. Sooner he buggers off the better. Poisonous.

Same team that beat Norwich?? You've been out in the Brisbane sun too long.

I really can't understand people like you. Whinge whinge ****ing whinge. Football is about entertainment, and you have said quite categorically that you find it dull. Why on earth then do you keep on going if you find it dull? Do you really have nothing else less dull to do?

Well "people like me" have barely missed a match since I started going just after 1970. That's why I said above "no doubt, I'll keep on going".

I also said it was "dull", the football and the crowd support "right now", I know very few that would disagree. it's been dull in the past (I've still gone) and it will be better again sometime in the future, that's football for ya. But right now I find it dull.

Have a look back at my previous posts, you'll see I don't wet the bed when we sell every summer and I've defended Puel's right to prove himself from the start, but that doesn't change the fact I don't find the football on offer right now entertaining.

I've followed this club all over the country and around Europe and this season some of it has been very, very "dull". In my opinion, of course.

You are seriously proposing to leave out VVD, Bertrand, Cedric and Romeo? HMmmmmmmmmmm.........

Both clubs are having a disappointing season. Both desperate for three points to gain a bit of confidence and both 'almost' beginning to look over their soldier.

This game in a way could be a nervy tight game and the loser could be looking at a very difficult end to the season.

I would be happy with any from of a win, a lucky win would be acceptable. Hope luck is on our side.

This is such an important game, we should be better than Leicester but it doesn't work like that! Puel just sucks the life out of supporters he has to be one the dullest mangers in our history serving up such boring football that makes you lose the will to live

I've said the above because I will probably get proved wrong.... Here's hoping!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This is such an important game, we should be better than Leicester but it doesn't work like that! Puel just sucks the life out of supporters he has to be one the dullest mangers in our history serving up such boring football that makes you lose the will to live

I've said the above because I will probably get proved wrong.... Here's hoping!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wasn't really old enough to appreciate what went on when we had Branfoot in charge (my first full season was the season after he left). Genuine question for anyone who knows but how long was the discontent for Branfoot simmering before it became an outright mutiny amongst fans?

Wasn't really old enough to appreciate what went on when we had Branfoot in charge (my first full season was the season after he left). Genuine question for anyone who knows but how long was the discontent for Branfoot simmering before it became an outright mutiny amongst fans?

a while. It is far, far more fierce than it will ever be today. Didn't help when branflake dropped Le Tissier for 5 games

But the football was dire, we sold our best players (bar Le Tiss) and replaced them with crap whilst spinning it that they were better. Speedie and Dixon springs to mind

Speedie and Dixon springs to mind

Did you have to mention them. The thought still makes me wince.

Anyway, I shall be there tomorrow but without the usual pre-match anaesthesia. It would really be nice to see us score a couple of goals or more. One day, surely, some of the chances will start going in, Long score, JWP from open play, Hoj and Romeu with tonkers, Bertrand with a screamer from the wing, Tadic from a shot first time from more than 5 yards.. We can all dream.

Match day is always the best day of the week - although the ingredients are certainly there for an afternoon of thinking about how could my feet are/what's the queue like for the bogs/are the trains running on time rather than being absorbed by the attacking, free flowing football on display. Could be a yawnfest. Or maybe they'll shock us all. The beauty of the unknown.

No Davis, time to play Tadic as the No10, Redmond out right, McQueen on the left in front of Ryan. You know it makes sense Claude.

Scousers got beat at home today, their defence is dodgy, with the same team on WEdnesday please we can make a good fist of both games.

a while. It is far, far more fierce than it will ever be today. Didn't help when branflake dropped Le Tissier for 5 games

But the football was dire, we sold our best players (bar Le Tiss) and replaced them with crap whilst spinning it that they were better. Speedie and Dixon springs to mind

Incredibly Branfoot managed Saints for two and a half years, sacked mid season in January I seem to recall. That was a truly vile spell for Saints. The majority of the Dell crowd had him sussed after about two matches, and the tactics were bizarre, including MLT at left back. Puel has less charisma but a better CV / dress sense.

Dislike of Branfoot was there for most of the 2 1/2 years that he was in charge. It just kept on growing during that time. In comparison the current situation is frustration with Puel's tactics, and the inability of the club to sort out the issues that seem to be there. Nothing like as bad. Put it this way, no one has published a fanzine with Puel's picture on and the caption 'Hope you die soon'. Which was in incredibly poor taste, but a reflection of how bad things had got. I seem to remember the celebrations in the city the day that they finally sacked him.

Incredibly Branfoot managed Saints for two and a half years, sacked mid season in January I seem to recall. That was a truly vile spell for Saints. The majority of the Dell crowd had him sussed after about two matches, and the tactics were bizarre, including MLT at left back. Puel has less charisma but a better CV / dress sense.

I have been watching Saints for around 60 years.....had a ST since the mid 70's. Current situation is very frustrating, but the Branfoot era was horrendous. The only time that I seriously thought about giving up....but I decided to stick with because I realised that I would still be there after he had gone...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was at secondary school at the time. Everyone was celebrating when he was given the boot it seems

one of the teachers was a senior steward at the dell. Even he said he was bemused how the club stuck by him for so long

Kerry Dixon and David Speedie would score more than alan shearer...........can imagine Les Reed saying shyte like that