Mamadou Sakho - thoughts?

Dusic

The wages will definitely be a sticking point. He's on around 100k at Liverpool. We won't want to be giving him anywhere near that. I think he's holding out to see if a bigger club comes in for him, if they don't we might be in luck. If they do and they do it last minute, we could be in trouble as far as a replacement goes. Only my opinion though.

You would not accept the Fonte deal if you have not got this one over the line or close too.

I expect the only sticking point was the fee rather than the wages as these are discussed upfront with the agent.

Maybe the sticking point is Weds game. Would Klopp want to take the chance on him scoring or helping us keep a clean sheet at Anfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wages will definitely be a sticking point. He's on around 100k at Liverpool. We won't want to be giving him anywhere near that. I think he's holding out to see if a bigger club comes in for him, if they don't we might be in luck. If they do and they do it last minute, we could be in trouble as far as a replacement goes. Only my opinion though.

You will find the agent knows what we are willing to offer and they negotiate around it once a fee is settled.

If we say £55k and they want £120k then it would of been dead in the water ages ago.

Fifa might have helped us if we are after this bloke since they are allowing Matip to play again and push Sahko even further down the pecking order ?

He cant go any further as Klopp said he will never play again.

What does worry me is he is 2 months away from match fitness.

He cant go any further as Klopp said he will never play again.

What does worry me is he is 2 months away from match fitness.

With all that higenamine (why the **** would a player need this if they did the right fitness work?) you'd think he would be in great shape. Banned substance or not, I wonder why we are considering going near a player that has had problems at Liverpool? If we sign him you have to ask questions about our due diligence process. This would be a huge investment for a club our size. We took a risk on JRod and Austin fitness and it has not worked. Are we going to now start taking risks on players with potential personal issues too?

- Would be making a step down to join Saints, we usually target players on the up but admittedly would have no chance of signing him he if was regularly playing for Liverpool

Bertrand, Romeu and Davis don't fit that description, that's over a quarter of the first team.

I would go to Porto & offer £10m for Bruno Martins Indi. He's on loan to Stoke & now is the time to gazump them. He's had an excellent season & is only 24/25.

Sakho has a history I would rather not Saints get involved in.

He also knows VVD already, from the Dutch national team. I don't think they've played together yet though. Martins Indi said he misses the warm sun and living by the ocean, but if nobody in Spain or Portugal wants him, I think he'd be a great catch.

Nothing to see here. Clearly this is someone we've scouted for ages and profiled at length as we do with all our signings. We know exactly who we are bring in to replace outgoing players well before they leave so I'm sure Sakho would have been a target even if he was in Liverpools first team, the fact he's fallen out with Klopp and been banned for doping is just a coincidence.

You are obviously joking

Player choosing to join Southampton or accept other offer, has preference for England

Considering Liverpool have made their stance on Mamadou Sakho clear (they want to sell him), not a lot has happened regarding the French defender.

Sidelined by Jürgen Klopp following failed substance tests and late arrival for flights during the summer, the former Paris Saint-Germain captain hasn’t made an appearance this year for the Reds, and a January exit was strongly touted.

However, Liverpool’s demands of £23m have put off more than one suitor, with many wanting loans rather than full transfers, most likely due to the fact the defender hasn’t played for a while.

Despite this, Le10 Sport in France are reporting the player has two offers in front of him, one from the Premier League, Southampton more specifically, and one from Spartak Moscow in Russia.

According to the French website, Sakho is currently trying to make up his mind between the two, even if he does have a preference for a stay in England.

Spartak’s offer is said to be more financially attractive, yet, with Southampton having sold José Fonte to West Ham after the Portuguese defender handed in a transfer request, the prospect of being a first-team player in the Premier League does have its advantages.

France manager Didier Deschamps has never hidden the fact that if the player started appearing regularly for a side, he would reconsider calling him up to one of his future squads, something Sakho will undoubtedly be desperate for.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/liverpool-defender-toying-southampton-russia-offers/

£23m now?! Getting larger by the day!

Could be a deadline day deal this one...

Never believe a price in the media! I think we will get him on loan on the last day of the window with a permanent deal agreed for the seasons end if things work out and we will be paying less than 20 million with nothing like the full amount upfront. The lack of interest put's us in a strong position and i suspect Liverpool will be keen to stay on good terms with us given there need of a left back and our apparent surplus!

With Klopps weird obsession with not playing Sakho it gives all the power to the buyer, he's definitely going somewhere and I agree with others that he will go on loan next week, probably for a decent fee, and if impresses then a permanent in the summer.

Southampton & Spartak Moscow remain in contact for Mamadou Sakho

Premier League side Southampton remain in the running for the signing of Liverpool central defender Mamadou Sakho.

The Saints have initiated discussions with LFC, but are looking for a loan deal with an option to buy, whereas Liverpool would prefer to sell the player outright.

There is also a considerable issue of Sakho’s wages. However, the Frenchman desperately wants to make a change this month for the sake of the survival of his career and Claude Puel’s men are well-positioned going into the final hours of the window.

Russian side Spartak Moscow remain in regular contact, and would like to take the player, but he prefers to remain in England.

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2017/southampton-lokomotiv-moscow-remain-in-contact-for-mamadou-sakho/

I think it's difficult to not play someone, at all, for half a season and then expect another club to cough up twenty million. Klopp has effed up his valuation through his own actions.

Quite so. Klopp has not only taken Sakho out of the shop window, he's locked him in the storeroom, yet still slaps a Harrod's price tag on.

• 1 month later...

As this has come up again, it is either sloppy reporting or one of those slow burners like Gabiadini, where it took ages of rumour but still finally happened. What is happening with Caceres,though? We have yet to play him which either suggests Puel doesn't rate him, he isn't yet fit or Puel would prefer to see the current pairing get more game time. Is the Sakho rumour simply putting him back into the shop window, and his agent is trying to earn his corn, or are we really continuing to harbour a real interest? Will there be a Caceres/Sakho auction this summer where we play one club off against the other?

What is happening with Caceres,though? We have yet to play him which either suggests Puel doesn't rate him, he isn't yet fit or Puel would prefer to see the current pairing get more game time. Is the Sakho rumour simply putting him back into the shop window, and his agent is trying to earn his corn, or are we really continuing to harbour a real interest? Will there be a Caceres/Sakho auction this summer where we play one club off against the other?

We've only played 4 games since Caceres signed and he was still getting fit for a couple of those. We have a load of games during April so we will see rotation again and he will get game time. I guess what happens in the summer depends more on him than us as he will be a free agent after his contract with us finishes at the end of the season.

If we do sell VVD we will need 2 CB's otherwise we are 1 injury away from being in this position again next year. A combination of Sakho / Ake / Carceres (granted this is based on previous reputation and I haven't actually seen him play) would do for me, suspect it may be the first 2.

Realistically everyone is resigned to loosing VVD either this or next summer and Ake coming the other way would certainly soften the blow. £40/45m + Ake, would put us in a strong position to fill the required gaps (2nd CB (Sakho), CM/AM (Sigurdsson)) and that's without considering any other possible/linked sales (Tadic, Bertrand, Cedric).

A massive summer ahead, Les!

We've only played 4 games since Caceres signed and he was still getting fit for a couple of those. We have a load of games during April so we will see rotation again and he will get game time. I guess what happens in the summer depends more on him than us as he will be a free agent after his contract with us finishes at the end of the season.

Maybe Caceres will play Saturday, Maya has a long trip back from Japan tonight, not much recovery time.

I'm reasonably confident that Caceres will leave at the end of the season and VVD will stay for one more year. We'll have four pretty decent centre backs in VVD, Stephens, Samuri Yoshi and Gardos. Adding Michael Keane into the mix would be an awesome move. Just don't really see Sakho being our type of player. Too inconsistent (but admit we've taken those before and they've turned out OK)