A replacement central defender?

SaintJackoInHurworth

Suicide not to replace Fonte this window but since we didn't replace anyone who left in the summer it would not surprise me. Any half decent centre backs available for loan till end of season? Arsenal, Chelsea and United all have loads of CB's. Cheeky loan for one of them?

Getting more desperate some one like Micah Richards?! Better than Gardos/Stephens and just as calamitous as Yoshida?

We did replace everyone who left, just those replacements have yet to live up to them.

Micah Richards was a f*cking disaster at Villa as a centre back and a right back. Would rather Stephens than him. Maybe not Gardos as he hasn't played first team football for 2 years, but still would steer clear of Richards.

Seriously, Micah Richards? That just screams of someone wanting anyone, just anyone, please just sign someone, i don't care who...!

Seriously though. I'd be seriously annoyed if we try to get by without replacing Fonte, no matter how it's spun by the club that will be seen as a lowering the quality of the squad. If there aren't any good enough replacements out there or are affordable to us then don't let fonte go. Simple.

I agree fully mate.... but does Reed? Pages and pages and pages of posts during the summer saying we need a new striker, we need an attacking midfielder, we need a decent backup GK - we could all see it clearly, but does Les? Clearly not

My expectations for the season are being reviewed (lowered) every fortnight - you need to adjust or you’ll be constantly disappointed with SFC.

May - Top 6 again, good cup(s) run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

June - Top 8, good cup run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

July - Top 10, good cup(s) run and Europe quarter final + exciting football

Aug – Top 11, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32 + defend well

Sept - Top 12, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Oct - Top 13, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Nov - Top 14, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Dec - Top 15, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Jan - Top 16, decent EFL cup run

Mine is now a hope: not be relegated

So we will rebuild in the championship then? Total suicide if we don't replace Donte. The board seem to be sleepwalking to relegation if a cb and striker aren't brought in this window

We've had a horrendous league run including an unfair xmas schedule & we're still 8 points and a better goal difference clear of the relegation places. Complete hyperbole to act as if we are in a relegation fight.

It's not complete suicide not to replace Fonte immediately & we're likely only selling because he's more of a problem for the club than an asset as this stand. If we can't get the right player Yoshida has shown himself perfectly capable this season whilst Stephens is highly rated by the club.

I would like us to bring in a quality defender and a quality striker. However those sort of players aren't exactly commonly available in January. The sort of defender who may be available(like Richards) earns derision from posters.

I certainly don't want us panic buying.

I think we were linked with Simon Kjaer before but nothing came of it.

On the subject of whether to replace Fonte or not, I too think it would be foolish to rely on VVD/Yoshida, and only the untried Stephens, and unsure of Gardos as back up.

Really feel like Fabian Schar would be a great fit

Of the names mentioned Schar stood out for me. He was highly regarded as an up and coming prospect at Basle, and linked with Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Now he's had a year or so in a stronger league he may be ready for a step up to the Premiership.Not sure if we'd prise him away in January though.

Hoffenheim seem to be a bit of a German equivalent of Saints bringing young players through, and giving 'imports' such as Schar their chance in a stronger lead. Perhaps we should look to them to replace Celtic as our main 'feeder club'.

Seriously though. I'd be seriously annoyed if we try to get by without replacing Fonte, no matter how it's spun by the club that will be seen as a lowering the quality of the squad. If there aren't any good enough replacements out there or are affordable to us then don't let fonte go. Simple.

This x 1000.

am i a lunatic to think we might sell Fonte tonight and announce his replacement immediately, having lined him (I presume male) up? yep, thought so

NO not a lunatic, but point is we should of have somebody lined up to come in straight away, as we should of had someone to come in at the beginning of jan to replace charlie the club is a shambles at the moment from top to bottom just like when your trying to sell your house life becomes a bit of a shambles until you get that buyer in the door, hope I'm wrong and the club make a couple of decent signings soon to prove me wrong but won't hold my breath

Seriously, Micah Richards? That just screams of someone wanting anyone, just anyone, please just sign someone, i don't care who...!

Get ready to be seriously annoyed.

Will be interested to see how Les spins it. We are being warmed up to the fact that we won't get a replacement I think. CP saying we can rely on Stephens and Gardos, Maya being made captain on Wednesday.

I don't mind not bringing anyone in. This season has 1 game left, maybe 2 if we beat Liverpool. Other than that, we have to scrape 12 to 16 points together.

What would be annoying is being told that Fonte would only go if there was a replacement. If there was no intention of keeping to that, much better to not say it in the first place.

My short term options:

- Chambers in on loan

- Move bertrand to centre back (he played for a period there for us previously)

- Michael Keane (Burnley)

- Pontus-Jannson (Leeds)

Bertrand is an interesting option.

Keane - no chance.

Leeds bloke - would they even consider selling whilst in contention for the play offs ?

Suicide not to replace Fonte this window but since we didn't replace anyone who left in the summer it would not surprise me. Any half decent centre backs available for loan till end of season? Arsenal, Chelsea and United all have loads of CB's. Cheeky loan for one of them?

Getting more desperate some one like Micah Richards?! Better than Gardos/Stephens and just as calamitous as Yoshida?

Having watched Richards at Villa, I'd rather have Ralph Krueger at CB thanks.

Having watched Richards at Villa, I'd rather have Ralph Krueger at CB thanks.

Problem is the thought of Yoshida for the rest of the season is just as scary! I admit he's improved but he still switches off way too much and you're sat waiting for him to make a clanger.

If VVD gets injured or suspended then we are in serious trouble

I think Yoshida is a decent premier league defender and can certainly do a job there until the end of the season. The problem is if Van Dijk gets injured or suspended then we are in serious trouble. Stephens is pretty much untested and Gardos is almost a write off. If we lose Fonte and do not replace him then Les Reed should have serious questions to answer.

My short term options:

- Move bertrand to centre back (he played for a period there for us previously)

)

I think this/see how Yoshida goes is probably a good option with the emergence of McQueen and Targett due to come back.

A back four of McQueen, Bertrand, Van Dijk, Cedric seems pretty good to me. He's hardly the shortest left back around and has the experience I think to change position.

We need to replace, we are 9 points from bottom and we're on an awful run of form in the league, we also need to replace Pelle. How we haven't been active in this window is beyond me. I'm sure we have been but it's worrying that there seems to be no news apart from Fonte leaving and possibly VVD. If we keep the squad as is then I will be very worried. Only takes another injury or 2 and we're goosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFS some of you morons (thanks VFTT) will believe any old sheeite is fact if it's posted on any form of social media. No-one apart from the club and Fonte really knows what has happened and what will result. Wait and see! Sorry it's only football, some people need to get a sense of perspective

FFS some of you morons (thanks VFTT) will believe any old sheeite is fact if it's posted on any form of social media. No-one apart from the club and Fonte really knows what has happened and what will result. Wait and see! Sorry it's only football, some people need to get a sense of perspective

How have you decided that we've just read stuff on social media and taken it as gospel? Is it because you've looked at the available evidence and reached that conclusion on your own? Because that's exactly what we've done. Looked at the evidence, the facts available and reached our own conclusion about events.

Problem is the thought of Yoshida for the rest of the season is just as scary! I admit he's improved but he still switches off way too much and you're sat waiting for him to make a clanger.

If VVD gets injured or suspended then we are in serious trouble

You haven't watched many games in the last 2-3 months if you think that Yoshida is either "switching off" or about to "make a clanger". He has largely been faultless and at least as good as Fonte before his exit. We certainly need a CB replacement though.

You haven't watched many games in the last 2-3 months if you think that Yoshida is either "switching off" or about to "make a clanger". He has largely been faultless and at least as good as Fonte before his exit. We certainly need a CB replacement though.

Yoshida never switches off. Concentration is his strong point.

Mental if we end this transfer window with not signing a CB

Totally, and if VVD is out for a long time then get two, doesnt matter if they are loan players or a signing and a loan. The truth of the matter is we have Yoshida then after that we are literally hanging on a wing and a prayer. You only need compare Stephens v Liverpool then Stephens v Arsenal to see that.

Mental if we end this transfer window with not signing a CB

I cannot agree with you more.

The thought of Gardos (out for 2 years and hardly top drawer before then) and a young Jack Stephens being lumped together if Yoshida is unavailable, fills me with dread.

Jack Stephens did Ok against a non firing Liverpool attack when we were set up to defend.

However in games where we adopt a more offensive strategy or we go a goal down he will be more exposed. He doesn't have great pace but at least he is quicker than Gardos