Best & worst memory of Fonte in a Saints shirt

SKD

With his departure seemingly imminent, what's your best memory of Fonte, in a saints shirt over the past 7 years...?

Best

I'll never forget that goal away at Brighton. Roasting hot day and spilling onto the Withdeans running track after a late winner. Made especially sweeter by the hostility between the 2 clubs that year :D

Worst

Hard to think of many? I'd probably have to say this season. A real shame the way he's supposedly fallen out with the club and acted the way he has in the dressing room. I would have thought it would have been a real honor for him to lead us out at the San Siro.

Nevertheless, a great servant and all the best. Hopefully see him back here in a management capacity (assuming that's the route he takes, and is any good at it!) in the future... Fonte / Davis / Jaidi dream team?

With his departure seemingly imminent, what's your best memory of Fonte, in a saints shirt over the past 7 years...?

Best

I'll never forget that goal away at Brighton. Roasting hot day and spilling onto the Withdeans running track after a late winner. Made especially sweeter by the hostility between the 2 clubs that year :D

Worst

Hard to think of many? I'd probably have to say this season. A real shame the way he's supposedly fallen out with the club and acted the way he has in the dressing room. I would have thought it would have been a real honor for him to lead us out at the San Siro.

Nevertheless, a great servant and all the best. Hopefully see him back here in a management capacity (assuming that's the route he takes, and is any good at it!) in the future... Fonte / Davis / Jaidi dream team?

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see Jose back here after this. I guess you never know though!

Best moment for me was his diving header against Coventry in the promotion game. It was at that exact moment that I knew for sure we were going up.

Worst moment was probably a couple of weeks ago when he handed in a transfer request!

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see Jose back here after this. I guess you never know though!

Best moment for me was his diving header against Coventry in the promotion game. It was at that exact moment that I knew for sure we were going up.

Worst moment was probably a couple of weeks ago when he handed in a transfer request!

Probably see him back on 4th February when we play West Ham!!

Worst moment for me came in an interview when he had signed a new contract with us (think it was the 2015 one) - when asked why he had extended his stay with us he shrugged and looked smug as you like, saying "well, this is for the fans. They love me" - not just been since the Euros that he has had an ego on him! Some others include the short back passes vs United, Villa, Norwich and others that have lead to goals since our return to the Prem (the exact kind of passes that Yoshida gets crucified for, but get forgotten when Fonte does them), or any time he goes in too heavily on players in the box leaving you to wonder how he hasn't given away even more penalties, and of course, engineering a move away this summer and then pretending he wanted to stay all along the day after the window closed and no one came in for him.

Great for us in the lower leagues, especially great memories of the goals against Brighton and Coventry, and a reliable in the Prem but not without his faults by any means. £8m is great business and looking forward to seeing who replaces him.

Brilliant servant for us. Time to go though the way he's been acting this year.

Unfortunately this the very real risk we take when we don't let our stars leave the moment their heads are turned. Granted, some pros will just get on with it and knuckle down, but the majority get in a strop and unsettle the team.

I'm not saying we should sell the moment we get an offer but just pointing out the other side of "if only we had kept Mane....etc etc etc...".

A bad moment was the first season back in the Premier League, second game (?) against Wigan(?) Fonte receives a back pass and rather than playing a safe ball back to the keeper, tries a clever turn on the opposing striker, is tackled cleanly, and the opposing striker pulls away with pace and scores. I recall thinking, "Welcome to the Premier League." To be fair, he soon learned what he could and could not do.

Bad: Wigan's second, A

ugust 2012 (Kone). Appalling error when we were pushing for an equaliser late on to get back in the game. This was the time when he was prone to errors like this quite regularly, much like Yoshida is supposed to be now. The days when many on here thought he was rubbish and would gladly have seen him sold (the days that many seem to have forgotten about now).

Good: Many good games, especially in the last 3 seasons.

Best - he started a one particular season badly, he looked like his legs had gone, off the pace and badly out of form, but he came back through like the professional he is, I had my doubts that he would come up short in the Premier league when we came up, I thought the pace would find him out yet he stepped up again and rightly and eventually was recognised for his national side.

Worst - the wrong debacle this season, it's undermined his legacy, one look at Kelvins testimonial should of told him this is what happens to our talismen and whoever is to blame and Fonte has to take his share, it's a sad day.

He will be good for West Ham, but he's not one of them and never will be and I can't believe when this all started that is where he wanted to go.

A great servant who made sure all the newcomers knew what Southampton was all about and that team spirit was everything, sadly that has been less evident of late.

Sad day, but I thank him and wish well.

BEST The magnificent central defensive partnerships he formed with Lovren, Alderweireld and van Dijk, making him probably the most consistent and least error-prone centre back in the Premier League over the last 3 years and the rock on which our team's success was built.

WORST The way his reputation has been tarnished by ITK 'leaks' from the club about him being 'Billy Big ********" . Is that an old South London expression?

Best - his part of the climb from L1, and seeing both the team and him reach new levels.

Worst - agree with Nordic, this season has gone a bit sour, amidst various rumblings of the 'Billy Big B ... ' , and rumoured falling out with various parties.

Will also miss his song, okay a bit tiresome after 7 years, but at least it was different.

Best - hard to beat the Brighton goal at the withdean, he was incredible that season.

Worst - the Reading game where we lost first place, couldn't cope at all with le fondre

Yeh agreed on the Reading game- Jason Roberts tore him a new one.

Best: Brighton goal at Withdean followed by raising the JPT.

Worst: The penalty for shirt pulling conceded late on at Arsenal this season. Or maybe the penalty for shirt pulling conceded late on at Arsenal in 2013. Red card against Sunderland last season in the 1-1 wasn't great either. Assist for Van Persie. Seeing his name on the subs' bench for the Europa League games this season was a disappointment too. Not many lows tbh, though the value of my signed Fonte Matchworn only yellow away shirt probably just went through the floor. He still should already be on the banner.

Edited by The9