Jose Fonte Appreciation Thread

St Chalet

Ok, the story didn't end well. The Saintsweb decision to not add him to the banner, Erik Black, bad assed Les Reed, that extra year and dodgy ankles - who knows!

But....

Thank you Jose Fonte for giving me some of my greatest memories as a Saints fan. JPT, a couple of promotions, European campaigns and landing a few bloody noses on the big boys.

The fairytale didn't end happily, but thank you and all the best.

Thank you Jose for seven brilliant years. You are worth many times the likes of Les Reed, Puel, Eric Black and the other corporate hangers on running your hard work and that of the promotion teams down the drain. Let's hope the board see sense soon and the fans have something to look forward to again.

As fate would have it.. Jose will be making a quick return to St. Mary's in the claret and blue of West Ham. I for one will give him a great reception.

He has served us incredibly well from dropping down a league from Palace to join "the project" in League 1 - from promotions, to Wembley and back to the Premier League. He has contributed as much as anyone to our 7 years of consecutively higher finishes and, at the same time, he would never have achieved his personal success of representing his country without Southampton Fooball Club, let alone win the European Championships.

We have a lot to be thankful for to Jose.. just as he has a lot to be thankful for to our Club.

Good luck to Jose he has been a great servant to us.

Agree wholeheartedly. Jose has been a great servant to this club. I would think that West Ham will be very happy at getting Jose in. No doubt he will sort out their defence just as he did with Portugal after he was drafted in during the Euros. Good luck to him. One of our greats in my opinion.

Thank you Jose for seven brilliant years. You are worth many times the likes of Les Reed, Puel, Eric Black and the other corporate hangers on running your hard work and that of the promotion teams down the drain. Let's hope the board see sense soon and the fans have something to look forward to again.

I think that is unfair, whilst I realise that Les Reed divides opinion nobody can deny that he has made a major contribution over all the years that Jose has been here. The upward surge of SFC during his tenure has been exceptional and he has to take his fair share of the credit, he is director of football after all !

You can say what you like about Puel and Black as they have achieved nothing so far but you cannot rewrite history IMHO !

Anyway, good luck to Jose and thanks for the memories !

Loved Jose. Loved the fact he dropped down to league 1. Admittedly he probably got a pay rise to do so, even back then.

However, he has been immense and a mainstay of our defence. Leyton Orient away sticks in my mind. We took thousands up there, won 0-2 I think with Barnard notching, but it was Jose who ran that game. In the same way VVD does sometimes in the Prem, those league 1/Championship games Jose bossed them.

I distinctly remember telling my mate at the Orient away game that Jose was playing wearing slippers.

Awesome, all the best Jose Fonte Baby!!

Has been a truly excellent player for us, the common thread in the most solid defences that I can remember as a Saints fan.

Despite the usual bad mouthing of any player who chooses to leave us, he's still a fine player who will do a good job at West Ham I'm sure.

But we move on and I have faith the club are not stupid enough to think we have adequate replacements for him already and have something lined up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Brilliant for us and a leader all the way from L1 to our top 6 finish last season - let's just forget the last 6 months!

Best moment was his goal at Brighton - epic scenes. I also think one of his best achievements was how he overcame the dip in form in the NPC and calls for him to be replaced upon promotion, to turn into one of the best CB's in the league. Shows how determined the guy is and was. Will always go down as one of the best CB's we've ever had.

I think there is more to his departure than the club is letting on. Unfortunately we will probably never know the full truth.

I'll remember his time here fondly. He is up there with Lambert for me. He gave 100% every single time he stepped out on that pitch.

I missed his Brighton goal but that goal against Coventry was a big one. It settled the nerves around the stadium and gave us a cushion.

Thank you Jose and good luck but I hope you have a shocking return to St. Mary's!