Fonte as greedy as the rest

mattyd

weird move, i think this shows there are bigger problems at our club....a move to a "bigger" club would make sense, think him and Puel fell out or something......i wish him well, shame it ended like this, but still reserves respect for his service.

Are we really that disappointed?

We got him cheap, got the best years out of him and sold him well in the twilight of his career.

We just sold him for what purchase VVD for.. Let's say we just made room for the next great purchase.

Unless of course Les comes out and tells us how much depth we have in our back 4 and we don't need anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although it's hard to argue that West Ham are a bigger club than us, they have their own problems right now and their league standing is similar to ours. Fair enough if he left simply because he wanted a different environment and a new challenege but do it in the summer for christs sake Jose! Our lack of activity in the transfer window leaves me worried that we'll somehow end up concluding January with an even worse team than we did coming into it astonishingly. This can only be considered good business if that money comes back to the club to improve the team. It has left a bit of a bitter taste for me.

Having said all that, his service for the club can't be forgotton. I won't be booing him on his return to St Mary's. I'll applaud at the end of the game but only if we win! :lol:

Edited by Disco Stu

Was he greedy when he moved to us from Palace for a pay rise?

that thinking is a bit binary, at that time he was building his career and saw that Southampton was a good opportunity for him both for wages and potential career progression, he was right. Now he is in the twilight of his football career on very good wages, players like him have a decision to make, stay and see you career out at your club and hope that your loyalty is rewarded with a further job at the end, go for a last contract hike but with a danger of not being good enough to play every game and finish at a club that you have no real connection with or drop down a division in football and wages and play more regularly and have another good run with a different club.

I have no problems with him wanting a new challenge, good luck to him, but I suspect that money has been a motivation in this as well. I don't like the problems that he has meant to have caused.

Fook him. He let himself down and has been unprofessional, and lets get this "good servant of the club" into perspect. He was paid more in a week than most people earn in a year, so lets not get too dewy eyed about him. I'll happily boo him on his return not that it will make a jot of difference to his performance, but it will make me feel better and its all part of the pantomime called football.

Players come, players go. Players do what is right for them and nobody else. It always has been this way at every club. No point in getting upset about it. I'm sure the club has a long term plan that will be only temporarily disrupted by one player thinking he deserves more.

we must have recruited the biggest bunch of greedy bastards in the league. Seeing as we have lost so many of them

Again you are wrong. Most of the players have left for better football and most on here understand that (we might not like it), has many taken a sidewards step just for more cash.

He wanted one big last payday before he retired. On this season's form there is in my view little to choose between Jose and Yoshi and it is arguable who would be first choice. The club gains a decent fee that they would not otherwise get and if the stories are to believed (I am not sure whether I do) a disruptive influence is moved on. Everybody wins. Having said that Jose has been a good servant and has earned the respect of all Saints fans. Players come and go and as much as I would like Terry Paine, Mick Channon, Matt Le Tiss and so on to still be playing for us it does not happen that way. Good luck to you Jose and thanks for everything.

He chose to leave a club where he forged his reputation, enjoyed success and became the living, breathing leading by example captain of our rise from L1. Despite being offered a deal which, according to what I read in the paper this morning, was probably similar to the one he's agreed at WHU he has opted to walk.........frustrations with the managers rotation policy cited - all this in the context of the sentimental and supportive message from VVD suggests, as some have suspected, it is not a happy camp......and once AGAIN we see a player leave under bitter circumstances.

Compare all this to the spirit, mood, excitement and supportive atmosphere of our return to the prem - a huge contrast!

How sad.

It's a job at the end of the day. It's not like he's a local lad. He's from Portugal. The sooner you accept the players come and go the better.

This is exactly why fans that refuse to criticise certain players are barking up the wrong tree. On here and not606 certain posters will fall to bits if their favourite player gets criticised. They need to realise the players are off in a flash when another club is willing to give them a pay rise.

Back the club, not the player

Fonte for eight million is good business. He's five years older than Yoshida and Yoshida has looked better this season. Gardos looked promising before all the injuries and Stephens might be good in the future. I'm happy with the business done by the club here. 8 million for a declining 33 year old centre half is good business from us

I feel a bit sorry for the lad, he's been played by Mendes big time! I reckon it panned out a bit like this:

- Wins the Euro's.

- Mendes taps him up & says "let me be your agent and I'll get you a big money move to Man Utd.

- Fonte starts making noises about wanting to leave.

- Club say they won't sell due to the sheer volume of games coming up. Mendes gets Fonte to act up about it in the background. Puel turns round and thinks "what a [swearword]".

- Window closes, Puel decides he doesn't want him, club say don't play him in Europe so he's not cup-tied come January.

- January arrives, Fonte takes to social media to try and leave, bridge burnt once and for all.

- Saints make it through to the league cup semi final. Fonte is not included.

- Man Utd aren't interested any more, only West Brom and West Ham are.

- Saints win first leg of semi final and are one game from Wembley.

- Fonte signs for West Ham saying he "wants to win trophies", despite them being out of both cups.

Had he accepted that he would not be sold until next summer he could have knuckled down, captained his side at the San Siro, captained his side in a semi final and possibly captained his side at Wembley. Having achieved all that he could have left in the summer for more money.

As a wise man once said - "FAIL"!

Don't people realise, surely so many players have left now and fallen out with club that we should now worry about what's going on with les reed and clubs ambitions.

No you're right everyone of the players, that left, were desperate to stay none of them wanted to leave and none of them wanted the extra cash they left because of horrible Les being a meanie and nasty old Kat refusing to bank roll champions league football and instead spending the clubs money on some more shoes......

Fonte has unfortunately been acting the big I am since winning the euros. Tried to get the club to pay him more than they think a 33 year old cb is worth, then when we stood firm he reckoned he could get a big money move somewhere big. The big move didn't happen as all the big prem clubs value him the same as we do, by then he had already burned his bridges here so had to take what he could get. Sad wayfor someone who could have been a club legend to leave but greed is a funny thing, i wont boo him when he comes back but i certainly wont treat him like a returning hero.

I feel a bit sorry for the lad, he's been played by Mendes big time! I reckon it panned out a bit like this:

- Wins the Euro's.

- Mendes taps him up & says "let me be your agent and I'll get you a big money move to Man Utd.

- Fonte starts making noises about wanting to leave.

- Club say they won't sell due to the sheer volume of games coming up. Mendes gets Fonte to act up about it in the background. Puel turns round and thinks "what a [swearword]".

- Window closes, Puel decides he doesn't want him, club say don't play him in Europe so he's not cup-tied come January.

- January arrives, Fonte takes to social media to try and leave, bridge burnt once and for all.

- Saints make it through to the league cup semi final. Fonte is not included.

- Man Utd aren't interested any more, only West Brom and West Ham are.

- Saints win first leg of semi final and are one game from Wembley.

- Fonte signs for West Ham saying he "wants to win trophies", despite them being out of both cups.

Had he accepted that he would not be sold until next summer he could have knuckled down, captained his side at the San Siro, captained his side in a semi final and possibly captained his side at Wembley. Having achieved all that he could have left in the summer for more money.

As a wise man once said - "FAIL"!

I believe Mendes has been Fonte's agent since Summer 2015 now anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid to say that José had a rather inflated opinion of his abilities. He was OK with us, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. He wasn't getting better. He did well at the Euros but that rather belied the fact that he is so damned slow that he does tug people back an awful lot.