Maya Yoshida

Heisenberg

From the fringes to the main man.....

Delighted hes getting his chance after 5 years of patience and professionalism.

Big SFC feature on Yoshi here >> http://tinyurl.com/z3ukjch

Leicester cover SAINTS.jpg

He must be loving life.....

2013/14 played 1,100 minutes

2014/15 played 1,700 minutes

2015/16 played 1,500 minutes

2016/17 played so far 1,600 minutes + captain midweek

I'm a fan.

His reputation for the odd dodgy backpass is well-founded...but IMO based on a little rustiness given lack of playing time.

Proper professional who could do a good job for us during the remainder of the season if needed.

He's a decent pro, but I don't think I'll be the only one who is sat here a little dumbfounded and miffed if he's our main CB come the end of the transfer window. In a season whereby we don't score goals, let's not weaken our defence.

Nail on the head. Decent, likeable player but no disguising that Fonte's departure has weakened us.

He's a decent pro, but I don't think I'll be the only one who is sat here a little dumbfounded and miffed if he's our main CB come the end of the transfer window. In a season whereby we don't score goals, let's not weaken our defence.

Very much agree. I think Yoshida has always been a great option as first backup CB who will come in and do a pretty solid job for a few games at a time. But I don't buy that he has suddenly massively improved and is now ready to do the kind of job Fonte has done for us.

If we don't replace Jose properly, we will be significantly weakened at the back.

I don't think Yoshida over Fonte is weakening us. Fonte is declining and the more game time Yoshida gets the better he plays. Yoshida is the better option right now and Fonte is only going to decline further

I don't think Yoshida over Fonte is weakening us. Fonte is declining and the more game time Yoshida gets the better he plays. Yoshida is the better option right now and Fonte is only going to decline further

of course we are weaker.

Yoshida or VvD getting injured/suspended will mean gardos or Stephen playing

Yoshida would never have been 1st choice last season. But then, we were a lot better last season

Love the made-up assertions that Fonte is declining and Yoshida is now better than Fonte.

I have one slight problem with Yoshida, apart from the odd mistake, but then John Stones does more and he cost £50m

Is he ambitious enough? If I was made to play second fiddle for the best part of 4 years, I think that I would have tried to move on to somewhere else where I was number 1.

Butthurt fans pretending they're not upset/annoyed.

The footballing equivalent of "I broke up with her not the other way round"

Haha weve all had that friend....

I love her, she is stunning

Gets dumped

"Shes an ugly lesbian anyway"

Fonte is an ugly lesbian

Yoshida is a good honest pro, but he has been a back up since he came here and has shown nothing to suggest he is any more than that. A player who can slot in to the back four and provide cover for the odd game here and there.

Certainly not someone who we should be building a defence around.

He's not as good as Fonte, and even if Fonte's star was waining, then the policy should be to replace him with someone as good as him in his pomp, as opposed to promoting a squad player who couldn't force his way past him or his fellow centre halves (Jos H not withstanding).

Haha weve all had that friend....

I love her, she is stunning

Gets dumped

"Shes an ugly lesbian anyway"

Fonte is an ugly lesbian

what I dont get is.

Yoshida is better than fonte

Cedric better than clyne

Bertrand better than shaw

Romeu better than Vic

Remond 'fine' as a replacement for mane (as when he signed)

Koeman was not that good anyway

why are we so shyt this season?

I have one slight problem with Yoshida, apart from the odd mistake, but then John Stones does more and he cost £50m

Is he ambitious enough? If I was made to play second fiddle for the best part of 4 years, I think that I would have tried to move on to somewhere else where I was number 1.

If they leave, they are deserters to be booed, if they stay they are not ambitious, I admire Yoshida for staying, he deseves his chance and he will do a good job

I think most accept it is probably the right time for Fonte to go if that's what he wants. But even if Fonte was declining, if we are not going to weaken compared with last season, we need to find a player capable of playing at fonte's peak not a declining version. Do you honestly think Yoshida can do that consistently?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

what I dont get is.

Yoshida is better than fonte

Cedric better than clyne

Bertrand better than shaw

Romeu better than Vic

Remond 'fine' as a replacement for mane (as when he signed)

Koeman was not that good anyway

why are we so shyt this season?

Boufal is the replacement for Mane

I Agree he needs a decent run in one position to see if he has what it takes to judge him without a fair run is manifestly unfair

Complain about players wanting to leave.

Complain about players wanting to stay.

What the f*ck.

No one wants him ffs.

:lol: exactly! It's like JWP and the 'what a great lad, saints loyal' brigade. If he was any ****ing good he'd have gone years ago, much like every single decent young player we've ever produced except MLT.

Complain about players wanting to leave.

Complain about players wanting to stay.

What the f*ck.

I don't complain about players leaving, I'm fairly ambivalent about it. Pragmatic. I don't complain about players staying, I'm ambivalent about that too. I just think it strange when someone is happy to sit on the bench most of the time for 4 years. But that's just me. If I was a professional football player, I would be wanting to play every week, and if I was on the bench most the time, I would probably leave.

I can't understand people thinking Yosh is good enough to be our first choice CB. After 3 1/2 years of our coaching he's still a ticking time bomb every game. He just about gets away with being back up, but even then has a dodgey back pass or a penalty in him. A potential relegation battle looms and for Yosh to be first choice is worrying.

Clean sheet. We don't need Fonte.

Don't need the baggage of Fonte at all. Straight away when Fonte has been sold we've put in a huge performance. Dominant from start to finish, could have been more, clean sheet.

Lots of you got your knickers in a twist above. Playing CB for Portugal who consistently parked the bus with two banks of four and William Carvalho sitting incredibly deep as an anchor man in midfield is very different to playing for us in the PL. Portugal never exposed their cb's in the euro's in the knock out stages. Tournament football is very different to league football. Portugal set up not to get beat after the group stages. When they had to win games in a points based system in the group they were wide open.

Yoshida is massively under rated regardless by many. Real solid centre back with no weaknesses. The only thing he lacks is a raking accurate long pass , but that's something that I see as a bonus for a CB and not a necessity. First and foremost they just need to be solid. He will improve, and be more consistent, knowing he's going to get a long run in the side now.

Another bonus is Van Dijk gets the captaincy. That could keep him happier and it means the captain is now consistent. I feel it must have been rubbing some of the players up the wrong way that Jose Want OUt Fonte was getting the armband when he was in the side

Edited by FriendlySaint

Yoshida's main fault was that he always needs half a dozen games to get up to speed. Hopefully now that he has had the game time he'll be fine.

Still has a dodgy pass in him though which is a worry

he is brave, honest, loyal and not at all flash - should be a Saints fan's hero?

TBF so does VVD.

Why is it made up. Most people can see that with their own eyes

So can I.

Lets be clear: I've never thought that Yoshida is a bad player. Unlike the dopey weathervanes here, I was among the most vocal in defending him when he got plenty of flak. But I also know his limitations -and however much people claim he's kicked on this season (in large part an euphemism for admitting he got it wrong) and that he's not as good as Fonte.

Edited by shurlock

Clean sheet. We don't need Fonte.

Don't need the baggage of Fonte at all. Straight away when Fonte has been sold we've put in a huge performance. Dominant from start to finish, could have been more, clean sheet.

Lots of you got your knickers in a twist above. Playing CB for Portugal who consistently parked the bus with two banks of four and William Carvalho sitting incredibly deep as an anchor man in midfield is very different to playing for us in the PL. Portugal never exposed their cb's in the euro's in the knock out stages. Tournament football is very different to league football. Portugal set up not to get beat after the group stages. When they had to win games in a points based system in the group they were wide open.

Yoshida is massively under rated regardless by many. Real solid centre backs with no weaknesses. The only think he lacks is a raking accurate long pass , but that's something that I see as a bonus for a CB and not a necessecity. First and foremost they just need to be solid. He will improve, and be more consistent, knowing he's going to get a long run in the side now.

Another bonus is Van Dijk gets the captaincy. That could keep him happier and it means the captain is now consistent. I feel it must have been rubbing some of the players up the wrong way thr Jose Want OUt Fonte was getting the armband when he was in the side

Good performance today, but it's one game against a woefully out of fom team, let's not get carried away!

Yoshi is a good centre back, no arguments from me on that. But he's still not as good as Fonte at his peak and we still need to sign another quality centre back if we want to maintain our league position of the last couple of seasons.

I agree Fonte factor had become unsettling so he probably had to go, but he does need replacing.