Club won't be replacing Fonte, gardos to get his chance

Mr X

Doesn't actually say that - very misleading thread title....

"It's a long time with a lot injuries for Gardos," said Puel of the Romanian. "But he came back for the U23s before (Wednesday's 1-0 defeat of Norwich) with a good level and we will see if we just have Jack (Stephens) and Florin (Gardos) or you might see another player (now Fonte has left).

"Florin comes back in at an interesting level. We know he's had different injuries and we will see in the reflection to see if Florin can participate with the squad at a good level. We will see this.

Potentially he will be given a chance, however it says he's weighing it up.

I would expect we're working pretty tirelessly to try and get someone, however we won't panic by and will go into Feb as we are unless we can find a deal that is worthwhile.

Claude Puel saying "you might see another player" means Les Reed is lying ??????

How on earth do you reach that twisted conclusion ?

you can clearly see with the drip feeding of these comments from the club, talking ip Yoshida in the match day program and the talk of gardos being back, that the fans are being primed for no Fonte replacement coming in

Anybody that went to Sheffield United in the league cup will rightly be worried by thought of Gardos playing for us.

I can't follow so many fans saying that they would rather have Yoshida than Fonte. He may be a bit of a cock, he maybe slightly slower than last season but if I was picking the team and had the choice between Fonte and Maya , Yoshida would always be on the bench.

Or.... he was clever/devious enough to not specify if Fonte's replacement (as one of our regular centre backs) would come from within the wider squad or via a new signing. His words can be interpreted either way.

Pretty sure he said "sign a replacement" which I think is unambiguous.

We will sign a replacement.

I must be a footballing genius cos I predicted this on the UI earlier in the week.

Ideal opportunity for Les to pocket £8m and rub his hands at the bank balance.

According to this no immediate plans to replace fonte http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10736902/claude-puel-happy-with-southamptons-defence-despite-jose-fonte-sale

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

you can clearly see with the drip feeding of these comments from the club, talking ip Yoshida in the match day program and the talk of gardos being back, that the fans are being primed for no Fonte replacement coming in

WAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAH!!! MUMMY I WEE'D MY BED!! WAAAAAAAAH!!

Anybody that went to Sheffield United in the league cup will rightly be worried by thought of Gardos playing for us.

I can't follow so many fans saying that they would rather have Yoshida than Fonte. He may be a bit of a cock, he maybe slightly slower than last season but if I was picking the team and had the choice between Fonte and Maya , Yoshida would always be on the bench.

judging Gardos on the same game that prompted my famous Mane thread is a mistake imo!

So why shouldn't "the club" have views to air? Or are you another of these "supporters" who claim they love the club then promptly accuse them of constantly lying.

judging Gardos on the same game that prompted my famous Mane thread is a mistake imo!

Fair play- you are of course right he shouldn't be judged on that one performance. However the thought of him playing premier league football after nearly 2 years out, based on what I've seen of him, doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'd have thought 8-12 games in the U23's or out on loan somewhere playing regularly, then bring him back .As we've seen with JRod trying to regain, form,fitness and confidence in the first team is very difficult.

Edited by AK
Typo

Pretty sure he said "sign a replacement" which I think is unambiguous.

We will sign a replacement.

This is how the Telegraph reported Reed:

73b05e0291f228e29ccc9c983d954a90.jpg

So, he didn't use the word "sign", but I can see why that might be the most logical conclusion from what Reed said (even though 'replacing from within' is still a valid interpretation)

Edit: that said, Reed's last sentence there, about it not happening if at the end if the window, tends to suggest that the 'replacement' would be a signing, so, on reflection I think Reed may have been economical with the truth here...

Edited by trousers

Yoshida being first choice is a one way ticket to relegation. The guy has had 3 years with our coaching and is still a ticking time bomb in every game. We needed another CB anyway, and to hear rumours we won't be replacing is very worrying. Gardos hasn't played in two years, and even when he did play for us he looked wooden - so to rely on him as back up is naive.

This is how the Telegraph reported Reed:

73b05e0291f228e29ccc9c983d954a90.jpg

So, he didn't use the word "sign", but I can see why that might be the most logical conclusion from what Reed said (even though 'replacing from within' is still a valid interpretation)

Edit: that said, Reed's last sentence there, about it not happening if at the end if the window, tends to suggest that the 'replacement' would be a signing, so, on reflection I think Reed may have been economical with the truth here...

Fine, but to me that is semantics, and if Reed is going to treat me/us like ****ing morons, then I am not sure it will go down too well. If we replace from within, I really have no problem with that, that is, if they can do the job.

if Austin replaced Pelle

then ? will replace VVD not Fonte

What striker did we lose last january then?

Don't understand everyones reaction to this. If we signed Gardos today for £7million quid, everyone would be saying "let's see what he can do". Yet because he's been out injured for a while after looking decent and settling in well, he's being written off.

Gardos was pretty ordinary in the U23s against Arsenal. An international at that level should look outstanding but I was surprised that he was playing at the same level as everybody else.

He played against Crawley in the Checkatrade Trophy too, as I recollect

Wasn't put under too much pressure and have to bear in mind he is rusty after a lengthy absence but he certainly didn't look up to the rigours of Prem football on that display.

All very worrying!!

Claude Puel saying "you might see another player" means Les Reed is lying ??????

How on earth do you reach that twisted conclusion ?

Easily really, Reed promised we wouldn't sell Fonte unless we had his replacement signed up!! Quick as a flash fook all from Reed!!

What striker did we lose last january then?

Don't understand everyones reaction to this. If we signed Gardos today for £7million quid, everyone would be saying "let's see what he can do". Yet because he's been out injured for a while after looking decent and settling in well, he's being written off.

Apart from he hadn't looked "decent" the times he has played for us he looked very suspect & gave the ball away a lot in dangerous areas also looked very slow

Apart from he hadn't looked "decent" the times he has played for us he looked very suspect & gave the ball away a lot in dangerous areas also looked very slow

Exactly. He was third choice behind Yoshi even when fit. He had one good half away at Man U but his performance away at Sheff United still gives me nightmares...awful!

The other point which I think makes fans rightly sceptical is that JRod was out for a similar length of time and he hasn't yet looked anything like being back to his best. We could afford to carry Jay a bit in some of his comeback games but you can't carry a centre back and, whilst Jay was brilliant pre injury, the jury was still out on Gardos.

Edited by James