• Højbjerg
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Redmond
    • Tadić
    • Rodriguez
    • Stephens
    • Clasie
    • Long

Said in the build up thread I'd hope we'd smash them and get the feel good factor back and that's exactly what we got. Fair play to JWP today, took his goal very well, likewise with J-Rod. Fair play to Tadic showing us that perhaps he does know how to take a penalty! Hopefully VVD is ok, the fact that he tried to carry on suggests it may not be too serious. Maybe it will convince us to spend that Fonte money instead of chancing it.

Only downside for me was not football related, but the low sun and mist meant I couldn't really see what was happening at the Chapel end from the Northam.

Not according to what the lino was indicating. Was just odd all round.

I think he gave offside against Yoshida who was deemed to be interfering with play because his challenge on Morgan caused the own goal. Whether he was actually offside or not I have no idea.

I think he gave offside against Yoshida who was deemed to be interfering with play because his challenge on Morgan caused the own goal. Whether he was actually offside or not I have no idea.

Well yeah, but he didn't actually flag for it until,after the ref came over to talk to him about it, which suggests that he didn't actually see any offside (the replay shows he was dead level). So what exactly did the ref say to him? If he wanted to manufacture a reason to disallow the goal, why not just blow for a phantom foul, like they do all the time anyway?

Would that be the same "whining t**ts" who said we should get rid of Puel because there's no way he will ever play any differently? ;)

What's baffling to me is that we didn't actually play that differently. We still kept possession when needed, made a few token mistakes on the ball but we actually scored our chances which hasn't happened for a while.

Seems there's a lot of unfounded "look I was right see" going on.

Good perfromance, although Leicester were poor. If they get through to the next round of thr CL they could end up in the bottom 3.

Cedric was brilliant, the midfield were all good ( apart from PH''s shooting) amd the fowards alll linked well.

Shout out to Peul for getting Stephens to stay back for corners after we got outnumbered on the break when Scheichal caught one of ours.

What's baffling to me is that we didn't actually play that differently. We still kept possession when needed, made a few token mistakes on the ball but we actually scored our chances which hasn't happened for a while.

Spot on !!!

Very much so It looked just like many of our home games this season the big difference being we actually scored and Leicester look even worse than us at shooting.

An obvious smoke screen then. ;)

Quote from Claude at the end of this article re potential transfers. It could be a smokescreen, if so he's handled it well as it doesn't soundas if anything is imminent !

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15040045.Van_Dijk_fitness_worry_for_Liverpool/?ref=rss

“We will see until the end of the market, and we will take things about an opportunity or not to take another centre back,” he reflected.

“I am also happy with the possibilities in defence and we see if Gardos can come back with a good level.

“We will see this with calm and whether there is a possibility or not to take another player in place of Jose.”

Edited by AK

Exactly. We played quite well. We usually play quite well.

Would that be the same "whining t**ts" who said we should get rid of Puel because there's no way he will ever play any differently? ;)

Never say never mate - Puel simply had to change things as he was heading for the exit fast.

Huge game Wednesday hope he doesn't revert to defend and sideways mode.

Lots of positives from today and we could salvage something from the season if we continue with today's approach

Never say never mate - Puel simply had to change things as he was heading for the exit fast.

Lots of positives from today and we could salvage something from the season if we continue with today's approach

:lol: todays approach being actually scoring our chances...other than that we played the same as we have most of the season but if it fits your agenda knock yourself out...

Great win to ease relegation talk, just need Arsenal and Chelsea wins to help that even further.

Hope VVD recovers and I hope he plays Jay Rod and Long on Wes, Jay Rod is looking good again even his hold up play and skill in the corner was nice, he is growing in confidence.

When Austin gets back we wont need a Striker so I hope we do not buy one and we stick with what we have, we have a great defensive foundation and if we spent 15-20 mill less in the summer then the outgoings so no reason why we can not use that and the Fonte money to buy a younger replacement, no reason why we can not offer Liverpool 18 mill for Sahko who I think would be a great replacement.

Tick

Three wins out of the last four games, one goal conceded all without Fonte.

Well done Claud Puel, the quiet dignity that he shows contrasts massively with some of his ill informed critics. Yoshida and JWP greatly benefitting from having been given regular football throughout the season. Along with McQueen, Sims and Stephens coming through the ranks it's the upside of rotation, which has become almost a swear word for some fans.

Still think we could finish eighth, and make a Wembley. The bigger picture......

Big thank you to the "whining ****s". Without your incessant negativity, doom and gloom nature and repetitive complaining Claude would never have known what to do to put it right. Maybe Saints could take a few of you on in an advisory capacity. Careful not to get too good at it because if you leave for a Liverpool we'll all call you a greedy ****.

Big thank you to the "whining ****s". Without your incessant negativity, doom and gloom nature and repetitive complaining Claude would never have known what to do to put it right. Maybe Saints could take a few of you on in an advisory capacity. Careful not to get too good at it because if you leave for a Liverpool we'll all call you a greedy ****.

I haven't listened to Puel's post match interviews but I'm expecting a big shout out to his spiritual guide and mentor Glasgow saint....

I agree, not saying he should have rotated...but from what we know of Puel it probably means we'll be playing a "weaker" side midweek. Mcqueen for bertrand, long for jrod, sims for tadic etc...

why should it mean bertrand or anyone (bar VvD) is 'rotated' out.

just plain weird

A big shout to all the 'build up thread' bed wetters, hand wringers and predictors of more doom and goalless gloom.

We won !!

Great effort by the team today, a bit nervous when VVD went off but that 'useless' yoshida stepped up and saw us home. Great effort by all, can't pick a MOTM.

The Countdown starts here, 3 days and counting for so the called faithful to start another 'meltdown' thread.

#binthenegativity

Yoshida was outstanding, followed closely by romeu and Soares. The midfield was the key, hojbjerg started to get forward more which gave us momentum up front even though he was off target with his shooting. JWP had his best game for a long time helped by his shot going in and being more positive so less sideways and backwards. Rodriguez is showing good signs of coming back to form and worked hard, Tadic on his left at last was better, Redmond missed a sitter early on, needed to head the ball down but was better on the right but not much of a threat,

The team played at a better tempo but later on played too many short balls to opponents when the ball needed was up the channels behind the static Morgan and Huth with Leicester pressing and leaving them exposed. Stephens did everything he needed but it must have been difficult with the high balls and the low sun late on.

What didn't make sense to me was that the lino didn't actually raise his flag. He made an odd signal with his left hand to the ref when the ref looked at him. Ref then came over to talk to him, awarded free kick and then the lino raised his flag.

What didn't make sense to me was that the lino didn't actually raise his flag. He made an odd signal with his left hand to the ref when the ref looked at him. Ref then came over to talk to him, awarded free kick and then the lino raised his flag.

The Lino obviously thought it was offside, the ref backed his man.

it was a couple of centimetres. luckily, it didnt hurt us today.

The linesman was in front of me. From our position it looked like Yoshida had headed in and that he was offside, which is what he flagged for. In fact Morgan was goal side of Yoshida, who wasn't offside. Whatever they may say later to cover themselves, it was a complete cock-up by the officials caused by the fact the linesman didn't realize it was an own goal. Fortunately, it didn't affect the result so it will be forgotten about.

Leicester were pretty bad first and foremost, but we can only beat what we we put in front of us and the overall shape, tempo and ethic of the team looked very good. We bossed the game and they barely had a sniff.

I would say our shooting at times is still poor, Hojberg had two decent chances, one that should have been a goal, another where he should have hit the target.

Plus the 15 minutes after half time saw a lot of miss placed passes and a few getting caught in possession but we seemed to step it up and got the deserved third, should have been four or five.

Jay Rod for me gets better and better, great touch and hold up play, excellent work rate and a very good finish for the goal. JWP was also excellent, busy, always bringing top quality into his passes and crosses, plus a very good finish. It was a very Lampard esque goal IMO. He needs to start doing that more often and making those runs into the box.

All round very positive, VVD a worry, Anfield will be hard without him and Liverpool can't be as bad as they were against Swansea or as bad as Leicester.

Quality from Saints today, if only we'd do this every week.

JWP my MOTM, but good performances all over the park.

Reckon Vardy knew what he was doing with that nasty late challenge, the snide ****er. Don't wanna be traveling on Wednesday without VVD

Absolutely - and from the usual suspects. We've done very little differently today from what we've done previously, if truth be known. Yes, our finishing hasn't been too good - but overall play wise, nothing changed radically today. We deserved more at Burnley but didn't get the rub of the green - hey ho, it happens.

We have some high class trolls on here - but at least this week no one wants to sack Claude Puel or Les Reid, and it appears that JWP is not really all that bad.

Glass half full man myself, it's a win, 3 points, clean sheet, confidence booster going into the Liverpool game - what's not to like?

A great way to start a Sunday and nice win after a bad run of results in the league. It has to be said that Leicester looked dire. I'm very happy for JWP...has he ever scored a PL goal from open play before?

I'm trying to figure out if VVD's injury was from being raked by Vardy or if he turned his ankle. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and he can play Wed.

I agree, not saying he should have rotated...but from what we know of Puel it probably means we'll be playing a "weaker" side midweek. Mcqueen for bertrand, long for jrod, sims for tadic etc...
i am thinking that he won't.

This has got to be one of those "suck it up, you are a professional" type games. It is a BIG GAME. The adrenaline alone will probably get most of the starters today through the match next Wednesday.

Unfortunately, might have to start some of our fringe players for the FA Cup Arsenal game - that was a crappy draw. Would have been nice to draw a League 1 team and rest players.

games are coming every 3 days again..

Sun 22/1 Leicester W

Wed 25/1 Liverpool EFL Cup

Sat 28/1 Arsenal FA Cup

Tue 31/1 Swansea PL

Sat 4/2 West Ham PL

Puel will be criticized game to game for lineups, but he has to manage the ENTIRE season and prioritize matches.

That's what I thought. I wonder if a few were pleased to see the back of Fonte.

I sent a message to my absent fellow season-ticket holder a few minutes after kick-off, remarking on a clear difference in atmosphere around the ground, emanating from the pitch, the positivity was palpable. One bad apple etc...