Credit to Puel Today

washsaint

The baying mod is held in abeyance - at least until midweek.

While Puel has made some strange decisions this season and our football has been, at times, dire today is hopefully how he would like to see us play week in week out.

High tempo, attacking and with the full backs heavily involved but also playing through the middle.

I'm hoping, maybe optimistically, that perhaps he is getting more time in on the training ground and the players are starting to get how he wants to play.

JRod is showing signs of getting back to his best - some of his close control was outstanding.

I believe Puel has been let down by the club - we needed reinforcements up front before the the season started. He was not really helped with many of the squad coming back after the Euros and so he did not get a pre-season with a lot of first teamers.

Hopefully very little rotation mid-week and maybe we can pull off a stunning upset. If we play to our strengths and can finish then there has to be a chance.

More of the same for the rest of the season please Puel!

every now and then we will a good performance out of the bag.

lets see over the next few games to see if this was a one-off (league)

Well it wasn't a one off because we've done it several times this season. We've just gone through a bad run of form. I think Claude is doing a good job all things considered.

Agreed (Batman)

We played well vs AFCB, then lost 4 on the bounce.

Consistency with team setup

Consistency with team tempo

Consistency with team lineups

Consistency with our approach

Puel has proved he can do it, just needs to find some consistency now.

Agreed (Batman)

I think many have underestimated the impact of no Boufal and Austin atm, not to mention the apparent rumours that 'Fonte's head wasn't in it'.

Imagine us trying to navigate the second half of last season without Pelle, Mane and a disinterested Fonte- I doubt we will have finished sixth.

Only query for me is ofc Long and Tadic don't seem to be playing as well last season, as well the style of play, but Tadic particularly I have expected more from given his 'hate for Koeman'. Hopefully them two can pick up.

Hopefully today can be the push that we need, and maybe signal to Reed we do need some reinforcements potentially.

Agreed (Batman)

Against Everton we were the best team but could not finish (we should have been out of sight)

We lost to Spurs who are an excellent team

Against Burnley we were by far and away the best team but could not finish

Against WBA we were the only team trying to win but could not finish

So of the 4 we lost we should have gotten something from 3 of them - but our forwards and midfield were the reason we did not because their finishing was abysmal.

While Puel has made some strange decisions this season and our football has been, at times, dire today is hopefully how he would like to see us play week in week out.

High tempo, attacking and with the full backs heavily involved but also playing through the middle.

I'm hoping, maybe optimistically, that perhaps he is getting more time in on the training ground and the players are starting to get how he wants to play.

JRod is showing signs of getting back to his best - some of his close control was outstanding.

I believe Puel has been let down by the club - we needed reinforcements up front before the the season started. He was not really helped with many of the squad coming back after the Euros and so he did not get a pre-season with a lot of first teamers.

Hopefully very little rotation mid-week and maybe we can pull off a stunning upset. If we play to our strengths and can finish then there has to be a chance.

"Pull off a stunning upset" ???

It's about as close as you can get to being 50/50 after the first leg imo.

Against Everton we were the best team but could not finish (we should have been out of sight)

So of the 4 we lost we should have gotten something from 3 of them - but our forwards and midfield were the reason we did not because their finishing was abysmal.

Appreciate your point mate

But there are chances and then there are 'chances' Jay scored from 3 yards out today - not seen him miss many/any from 3 yards this season.

We have goal scorers in the side, problem is they have struggled to score as strikers are typically isolated and taking shots from range.

Posted this before but it highlights the point

Jay before Puel - averages a goal every 2.8 games

With Puel it’s 1 every 5.3 games

Shane Long before Puel - averages a goal every 3.7 games

With Puel it’s 1 every 13.5 games

Tadic before Puel - averages a goal every 4.5 games

With Puel it’s 1 every 26 games

Boufal before Puel (Lille) – averages a goal every 3 games

With Puel its 1 every 11 games

But there are chances and then there are 'chances' Jay scored from 3 yards out today - not seen him miss many/any from 3 yards this season.

We have goal scorers in the side, problem is they have struggled to score as strikers are typically isolated and taking shots from range.

623051b9304a37ff2086aa9cd486ff92.jpg

Clear as day proof that you don't watch any of our games. I've seen him miss at least 2 chances practically on the goal line!!

The big difference is that we played more direct and had 3-4 players in the box for each cross.

Even against Spurs we outclassed them for the first quarter of the match with some superb attacking football, and were deservedly 1 up (and possibly would've been more than 1 up with a quality striker). Then they equalised against the run of play and the wheels fell off.

I think many have underestimated the impact of no Boufal and Austin atm, not to mention the apparent rumours that 'Fonte's head wasn't in it'.

Imagine us trying to navigate the second half of last season without Pelle, Mane and a disinterested Fonte- I doubt we will have finished sixth.

Only query for me is ofc Long and Tadic don't seem to be playing as well last season, as well the style of play, but Tadic particularly I have expected more from given his 'hate for Koeman'. Hopefully them two can pick up.

Hopefully today can be the push that we need, and maybe signal to Reed we do need some reinforcements potentially.

I think this is mainly due to the absense of Mane, rather than Puel's tactics. Long had his best games with Mane next to him. The 2 often paired up superbly. The same may be true of Tadic without Mane and Pelle.

I've been very vocal with my dissatisfaction with how we've played this year, so it's only fair I credit Puel today. Looked like the 'old saints' today. Really took the game to Leicester, moved the ball quicker and looked a real threat in the final third.

Don't want to get carried away as we've had a few decent performances this year (just not enough and when we're bad, we're awful to watch). Important we build on this. Same team again Wednesday please, Claude.

At least two that I can remember from right on the goal line. Can't remember which games, but I don't think we won them.

I think this is mainly due to the absense of Mane, rather than Puel's tactics. Long had his best games with Mane next to him. The 2 often paired up superbly. The same may be true of Tadic without Mane and Pelle.
Lot of truth in that..

look how ordinary Liverpool has looked without Mane. Along with scoring goals, he opens up the play for others.

Further, I think Tadic was most effective playing off Pelle. They always seemed to know where the other was gonna be or where the ball needed to be put.

the dynamic is just completely different this year.. we don't look fluid. Hopefully that will come.

We didn't score from any crosses into the box though (unless you try to count JWPs free kick) so that really didn't make a difference today.

Are you joking mate? We created so many more decent chances from this and put Leicester under loads of pressure.

JWP goal is 100% a goal from a cross. The own goal was a cross. Jayrods goal was from a freekick crossed in and headed down. Then there were numerous other chances including the first one of the match that redmond should have scored with.

Insane that you can't see how much more potent we were with more numbers forward and more players in and around the box. It put real pressure on Leicester and took pressure off of our defence as the ball was nearly always in front of them. More direct, quicker tempo, and more attacking. More of the same please.

Two of the big differences were Tadic and Redmond swopping onto their natural sides and the two flank midfielders making forward runs especially Hojbjerg even though he needs shooting practice.

Hojbjerg and JWP were pushing forwards far more than usual and both were finding themselves in some brilliant positions just outside the box after we put a cross in. Romeu looked a little busier because of it but I think this was the key to our success yesterday.

Tadic also looked like he was getting back to his best. Much sharper than he has been the last few games.

Are you joking mate? We created so many more decent chances from this and put Leicester under loads of pressure.

JWP goal is 100% a goal from a cross. The own goal was a cross. Jayrods goal was from a freekick crossed in and headed down. Then there were numerous other chances including the first one of the match that redmond should have scored with.

Insane that you can't see how much more potent we were with more numbers forward and more players in and around the box. It put real pressure on Leicester and took pressure off of our defence as the ball was nearly always in front of them. More direct, quicker tempo, and more attacking. More of the same please.

JWP goal was a cut back to player on the edge of the box. Jrods and the disallowed goal where from set pieces and we always throw players up in those situations. The pen came from a through ball. I'm quite happy for us to get more bodies in the box when we cross and we did yesterday which is good but it didn't make any difference to the goals we scored yesterday.

I swear Heisenberg/Bournemouth/Glasgow is schizophrenic.....over on the UI he posts as a relatively sane human being but here he is like a demented loon practically begging for bites......

I don't think he is a schizo. He's just trying really hard to troll on here. The irony is he is the Tinkerman of trolling and yet he criticizes Puels tinkering. He is constantly switching up the scathing with the faux positive, avatar changes, the use of "mate" in a passive aggressive way, the victim playing. Clearly has some sort of issue or just gets off on the bites.

I often feel that a study of some of the main trolls on here could be very interesting from a psychological and sociological point of view.

You have: Heisen who will stop at nothing to try and get bites.

Dalek: Even though he has stuck to the same 2 lines for years (Hoddle and 40 points sleepwalking etc) he has become a parody of himself and will often make fun of himself.

MLG: The most disciplined of them all. A grand master, he has never ever wavered from his tactic. He is the zen master of trolling.

Alpine: I think he is an individual with a passion for Saints but not much patience and loses his temper easily. He gains relief in being able to vent on here so that he doesn't let that anger spew into his normal life. Occasionally he will deliberately troll because I think he enjoys the bites and notoriety.

Turkish: I think is sociopathic.

Saint_Robbie: is just an immature little idiot.

I don't think he is a schizo. He's just trying really hard to troll on here. The irony is he is the Tinkerman of trolling and yet he criticizes Puels tinkering. He is constantly switching up the scathing with the faux positive, avatar changes, the use of "mate" in a passive aggressive way, the victim playing. Clearly has some sort of issue or just gets off on the bites.

I often feel that a study of some of the main trolls on here could be very interesting from a psychological and sociological point of view.

There aren't any trolls on this forum. The mods reiterated a few weeks ago that trolling won't be tolerated and no-one has been ejected since, ergo there can't be any trolls on this forum. Indeed, this is probably the only forum on the whole world wide web that doesn't have any trolls. Not a single one.

:)

Edited by trousers

There aren't any trolls on this forum. The mods reiterated a few weeks ago that trolling won't be tolerated and no-one has been ejected since, ergo there can't be any trolls on this forum. Indeed, this is probably the only forum on the whole world wide web that doesn't have any trolls. Not a single one.

:)

I expect them to remove you any day........:lol:

I think Leicester were clueless- Puel kept to the same formula.

15 mins of attacking football followed by a bit of clueless hoofing.

Luckily Yoshida only made one potential goal losing mistake instead of 3. We need a quality CB urgently.

Redmond missed loads as usual. And Puel had obviously told him to stand close to the corner takers which was a colossal waste of time.

Hoeberg was shocking and needs some shooting practice.

BUT!

Rest played well Romeu growing on me.

We were the slightly less clueless of the teams - bad management by Leicester and mediocre by Saints.

I hope he proves me wrong and takes us to Wembley tomorrow.... but I doubt it. Still don't rate our manager despite the result - some of our players deserve the credit for that one, not him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily Yoshida only made one potential goal losing mistake instead of 3. We need a quality CB urgently.

Redmond missed loads as usual. And Puel had obviously told him to stand close to the corner takers which was a colossal waste of time.

BUT!

We were the slightly less clueless of the teams - bad management by Leicester and mediocre by Saints.

I hope he proves me wrong and takes us to Wembley tomorrow.... but I doubt it. Still don't rate our manager despite the result - some of our players deserve the credit for that one, not him.

We won 3-0.

BUT!

Yeah don't forget to add a bit of praise there Richmond. We did keep to a similar formula though which shows that it isn't a bad one.

BUT!

You really are a clueless t88t. Mediocre - really? You should give up watching Saints as it is clear you are a troll or completely mental.

BUT!

Quite amazing the ability to cram so much tosh in to so few words!

Redmond standing near the corner take drags 1/2 defenders out of the box. Once the corner was taken, Redmond would take up a position outside the 18 yard box ready in case the clearance comes towards him, allowing him to either shoot or immediately play it back to the corner taker. Quite a good tactic actually.

Once most of you lot actually spend a bit of time watching Redmond, you will realise that he is one of our best players, and the slating he gets is quite ridiculous. Yes, he misses chances, more than most, but that is because the lad is absolutely everywhere and earns the right to have those chances in the first place.

Hojberg was fantastic but his shooting was shocking. You are clearly one of those plonkers who will only see the negatives and ignore the graft and endeavour these players put in just because they miss the target when they shoot.

Case in point, Yoshida was imperious, quite brilliant, and all you mention is his mistake, which was that insignificant that I don't even remember it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've never kicked a ball in anger in your life, because if you had, your opinions would change dramatically.