Increase in value of Saints Squad

spyinthesky

According to a report by CIES Football Observatory, based in Switzerland, Saints squad is valued at 221m euros more than their collective cost to purchase.

Only four teams have better results ie Spurs @ 525m, Leicester @ 354m, Arsenal @ 279m and Liverpool @ 237m.

Man Utd @ - 18m and Hull @ - 14m are the only negatives

All seems rather optimistic and I guess very much dependent on how much individual players have left on their contract.

Wonder what Jose Fonte was valued at for this study?

£189million, doesn't sound far off. Would assume they're putting VVD alone at £50million for that valuation, from there you only need 19 players valued at an average of £10million.

I think it undervalues the squad and doesn't consider the barmy nature of English club to English club transfers. I think we have quite a lot of players we could get £20m+ for from another Premier League club in the current crazy transfer market.

For example...

van Dijk

Bertrand

Forster

Ward-Prowse

Boufal

Redmond

Hojbjerg

...and some others

- I imagine many Saints fans will be surprised at some of those, but for example it would take a big fee to get Ward-Prowse from us when he is under contract until 2022. We got £16m for Chambers ffs!

- Forster also written off by many; but we paid £10m for him, he is under contract until 2022... so for him to be sold it would take a very big offer.

- Even though they joined in the summer (Boufal, Hojberg and Redmond) I doubt will leave the club if there is good time left on their contracts for less that £20m each. Jordan Ibe cost Bournemouth £15m ffs, so Redmond at £20m isn't out of place.

Even someone like Sam McQueen or Josh Sims if sold would fetch a large fee. Players with not Premier League exposure in the Championship are going for £12m - £15m!

Are they good value compared to what you could get for £20m abroad? No

But as I said this report appears to underestimate what Premier League clubs can get for their players in 2016/17.

There valuations are nuts. A few examples of our players with comparisons. Harry Reed €4.3 million (more than Lucas Leiva at €3.2m), Sam McQueen €6.6m (Kieran Gibbs is €7.0m, Gael Clichy €2.4m), Ward Prowse €17.8m (Jack Wilshere €9.5m), Jack Stephens €2.9m (twice Gardos at €1.2m, and Yoshida is only €4.8m) Matt Targett €7.8m. Jay Rodriguez is valued at €4.1m, but Danny Ings (similar injury to Jay but still out) at €6.5m. As for Virgil, €60m - that one I agree with.

I think it undervalues the squad and doesn't consider the barmy nature of English club to English club transfers. I think we have quite a lot of players we could get £20m+ for from another Premier League club in the current crazy transfer market.

For example...

van Dijk

Bertrand

Forster

Ward-Prowse

Boufal

Redmond

Hojbjerg

...and some others

- I imagine many Saints fans will be surprised at some of those,

I think anyone would be surprised. Apart from van Dijk we have no-one else that we would get £20m for at present (Bertrand at a push maybe just). Your "valuations" are based on what we would ask, but to sell a player you have to have someone willing to pay, and no-one would pay the amounts you suggest, no-one, not even in these crazy times. That's no reflection on the players, just football economics. It works differently in the imaginary world of FIFA17 I am sure.

The problem is, despite what fans like to think, there is no pricing formula for footballers. Comparing similar players doesn't help because there are two many variables it just comes down to what someone is willing to sell for or buy for. Where fans always so obsessed with player prices it seems like something that fans attach a lot of importance to now.

I think anyone would be surprised. Apart from van Dijk we have no-one else that we would get £20m for at present (Bertrand at a push maybe just). Your "valuations" are based on what we would ask, but to sell a player you have to have someone willing to pay, and no-one would pay the amounts you suggest, no-one, not even in these crazy times. That's no reflection on the players, just football economics. It works differently in the imaginary world of FIFA17 I am sure.

Doubts over some of those names, but Romeo would easily fetch £20million+ in this climate. There is nobody playing better in his position in the Prem right now.