Manolo Gabbiadini Signs - Official

SKD

Don't really know much about him, but personally that £17m would have been better putting towards some defensive options. The situation changed when Fonte went. Seems like the club have put a lot of effort into this one, so they obviously think he's the real deal. Just need to hope we score more than the oppo then.

Jeez, the biggest problem we have had all season is not putting away our chances !

We have dominated so many games but not killed off the opposition by missing sitters and buggering about instead of shooting !

The club have looked to remedy that and yet most seem unhappy !

Time will tell whether Gabbiadini is the answer but at least they are trying !

Give them a chance before slagging them off !!!

I'm happy that we've signed him and hope he is the one to convert the chances but I think it could cost us not getting at least 1 CB for cover. The club are taking a massive risk relying on our current CBS for the next 4 months, if Yoshida gets injured we wouldn't keep many clean sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just really hope the club realise that he is not a CF and play him in his best position, coming in from the right wing.

we quite often cut balls back to the CF/CAM position in front of goal, problem is the generally fall to Redmond (who often scuffs them), Davis, PEH (who blast them over) or Tadic (who passes it to someone else).

Will be nice to have someone who can hit one on target from there.

People were underwhelmed when Bertrand signed. It's fair to say he's been excellent for Saints and one of our best modern-day signings.

I can't remember anyone being particularly underwhelmed tbh, the form Luke Shaw was in it was always going to be a hard act to follow but Bertrand has proved an excellent (and probably soon, profitable) signing. We signed him as a left back, any more injuries at CB and that may be where he ends he Saints playing days.

Looking forward to seeing Boufal and Gabbiadini together, probably off the bench at the weekend.

I can't remember anyone being particularly underwhelmed tbh, the form Luke Shaw was in it was always going to be a hard act to follow but Bertrand has proved an excellent (and probably soon, profitable) signing. We signed him as a left back, any more injuries at CB and that may be where he ends he Saints playing days.

Looking forward to seeing Boufal and Gabbiadini together, probably off the bench at the weekend.

Yeah people certainly not underwhelmed there......

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51238-Bertrand-signs-for-a-season-long-loan

I'm particularly impressed with post no. 34

Post 100 very sensible as always -

Im please with this, great player imho

Was good whenever he played for Chelsea and won a couple of England caps when he got a run of games.

We need players, if a couple of them are loans thats absolutely fine. We have not used the loan system effectively imho. Times have now changed

and 251

Be good if he has a storming season and edges fatty Shaw out of the England squad

This could be a great signing, even if it means JRod and Long have to up their game. We started on this one a month ago which is probably the length of time we spend on sorting out our signings. With Fonte going I'm sure we were looking but VvD's injury meant panic buying. We have definitely missed a trick not even getting a squad player in but if VvD is back next week then panic over *****il the next injury).

We'll see, I'm not going to get stressed about it, we were missing goals and if Gabbiadini can bag a few then we'll be ok.

For most of the season, the defence has meant that a single goal scored has been enough to pick up points.

But that isn't going to be the case with while VVD is injured. We might get away with it from time to time, but if Yoshida gets a knock we are really in trouble. We could use Bertrand at CB, but then the left side is weakened.

Its a really big gamble IMO. I.'m sure Gabbiadini will improve our attack, but it won't make any difference if our defence is shot. Hopefully the club are right, and VVD isn't too bad, and Gardos will step up. but for a relatively small investment they could have picked up a reasonable CB on loan , presumably with the wages saved on Fonte.

Don't disagree with what you say here but my post (which you referenced) was about Gabbiadini and the hope that he would improve on our inability to score goals from chances made !

This thread is entitled "Manolo Gabbiadini signs - official" after all, not "our defence is even more sh't than before" !

I keep saying posts he plays off the right side and he is not a striker. Is that correct? Will he therefore be challenging Redmond, Tadic, Sims and Boufal rather than Austin, Long and Jrod?

Apparently Puel sees him as more of a CB got all the attributes to be the next Franz Beckenbauer or something...

Hopefully this signing will see us return to the diamond formation with gabbiadini on the right and Jay on the left with boufal just behind. Both jay and gabbiadini don't seem to be the traditional number 9 strikers and I personally think we played our best football with the diamond.

This may be les Reeds' way of giving puel the players he needs to return to this formation

Hopefully this signing will see us return to the diamond formation with gabbiadini on the right and Jay on the left with boufal just behind. Both jay and gabbiadini don't seem to be the traditional number 9 strikers and I personally think we played our best football with the diamond.

This may be les Reeds' way of giving puel the players he needs to return to this formation

That's a fair point and IMO would work. However I can't see Les letting him play something that's not 'the Southampton way'.

Boufal (the Ben Arfa role) as a false 9 and Jay and Gabbiandini dropping into the wings when we don't have the ball.

So who would be the other striker up with Long, presuming Romeu is at the base?

So who would be the other striker up with Long, presuming Romeu is at the base?

He means this:

-----------------GK--------------------

RB-----------CB----CB---------------LB

----------------Romeu------------------

--------CM---------------CM-------------

----------------Boufal------------------

--Barry Manilow-----------Jay Rod-----

He means this:

Yes, that's how I'd see us playing too. Wrong personnel though as you've left out Redmond.

He means this:

That's given me an idea for a song "Hey Manny" ;)

I was also thinking the same although I suspect redmond would be preferred to j rod as the left sided forward

Don't know anything about this guy but the club obviously rate him as they've paid a fair amount for him.

Boufal + Gabbiadini could be a very interesting setup, shame Charlie's currently injured - he could really have benefitted from these two.

All the best Manolo, welcome aboard.

Good read:- http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/one-got-away-southamptons-manolo-gabbiadini/

I'm looking forward to Boufal and him together. If only Tadic could find some form.

It will be very interesting to see how we line up. I think everyone would agree that we need to get Boufal on the pitch as much as possible and, in my opinion, he is better used centrally than stuck out on the left. I know the forwards are encouraged to rotate but the starting position / defensive structure still dictates where the majority of touches will occur. Allegedly, Gabbiadini is not a central striker but would be better suited to the wide right role.

Boufal and Gabbiadini both sound like players that would suit the "diamond" with the wide-split forwards that we played at the start of the season. T

If we stick with the current 4-3-3 with Gabbiadini on the right and Boufal on the left then, with Long, Jay Rod (or Austin) playing centrally there would be no starting place for Redmond, or Tadic.

It seems a shame to sacrifice Redmond or Tadic in place of what is likely to be one of our midfield "steady Eddies".

A 4-2-3-1 does seem like the obvious approach but perhaps we doubt whether we have sufficient muscle in midfield to only play the 2 genuine central midfielders. If we're determined to stick with a central midfield three then I think the diamond is probably our best bet, with Boufal central, Gabbiadini on the right and Tadic or Redmond coming in from the left.

we quite often cut balls back to the CF/CAM position in front of goal, problem is the generally fall to Redmond (who often scuffs them), Davis, PEH (who blast them over) or Tadic (who passes it to someone else).

Will be nice to have someone who can hit one on target from there.

Exactly. I do hope that Gabbiadini is the real deal and can score from a distance which he may have to with current tactics. I would like to see as an attacking right wing, but I am disillusioned with Puel. Our front players are shy of getting too close to the box, especially from the right. Wing backs surge forward then stop as if they've hit an invisible wall and pass sideways or back , when there are opportunities to cross dangerously further upfield. Frustrating.

I already feel sorry for this lad, he arrives and we should be really pleased to have someone that potentially could be an improvement on what we have up front.....but instead most of us are really P***ed off that VVD is out long term and no CB have been brought in....welcome to the club MG!!!

People ARE pleased he's signed, but a lot of people are also p*ssed off that Les Reed appeared to tell his biggest lie to date when he said "we won't let Fonte leave without a replacement" and now as well as him being sold, our first choice centre back is injured for a while.