Saints 0 Arsenal 5 Post match hilarity

Ohio Saint

On seeing our team sheet, I forecasted 0-4. CP obviously had his reasons why he played so many fringe players but if he wasn't interested in going further in the FA Cup, the most prestigious cup in the world, why didn't he play this team in the last tie?

Hope the first teamers enjoyed the rest.

My guess is because we hadn't reached the EFL final at that stage so wanted to try and stay in the FA cup until it was clear if we were in the final. It feels like getting to the EFL cup final made the club decide to bin off the FA cup.

Spot on. I'm amazed that he's got us to Wembley given the football we've played this season. In fact, getting us to the final has probably just bought him time in the job. Whatever happens in the final, I'd still like him gone. He does nothing to inspire any confidence at all. Today's team selection being a case in point. The fans were on a high after Wednesday and then he goes and ****es us all off with this nonsense.

Wtf this is crazy. He has got us to our first major final in 12 years. With our injury list he couldnt really put out a much stronger side.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

He did pretty much go with the same as the last FA cup tie

Southampton beating Norwich in the replay was

Lewis

Martina Yoshida Stephens McQueen

JWP Clasie Reed

Sims Long J Rod

Yesterday was

Lewis

Martina Stephens Gardos McQueen

Hojbjerg Clasie Reed

Sims Long Isgrove

Two of the three changes were down to injury.

I stand corrected, thanks for showing up my poor memory? CP, all is forgiven.

He has a talent but he doesn't do what a player like Romeu is doing endlessly, taking mental photographs of who is where on the pitch, PEH invariably picks up the ball with his head down then ploughs into trouble, fair play to him though invariably when he has dropped a clanger he cleans up his own mess.

PEH at least has potential to get better & he showed at the start that he can be very good Bayern Munich don't buy rubbish..... Classie on the other hand I have seen enough of to say that he will never get better simply to lightweight & too mediocre at everything he does!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why is it? Let's look at it like this.

Austin, Boufal, Rodriguez, Ward-prowse, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Targett, McCarthy out injured and the players that did play against Liverpool like Romeu, Redmond, Tadic etc put in such a monumental effort that they needed the rest.

If we'd played them they'd have been ****ed against Swansea and we need some momentum in the league. We got a tough draw, we surrendered but we are in a cup final anyway.

What exactly is there to moan about?

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we may find we have even fewer games in March - Man United at home is same weekend as FA Cup 6th round so could well have to be postponed to a future date if they make it that far. Will be really strange having such few fixtures after the mad run we've had from September to now.

Seems mad to me how there are 10 Premier League matches just in December and January when there is also more chance for Premier League clubs still being in cup competitions (Saints played 16 matches just in Dec/Jan!). I'm not in favour of a Winter break but the 'authorities' seem to do the opposite and cram in even more at that time of year. No wonder the FA cup gets lost in it all and clubs have to make choices where their prioritise lie and how best to manage their squads. Then from next Saturday onwards mostly only 1 match a week until the end of the season of 15 League matches in 3.5 months. Why not have more mid-week matches spaced out between now and mid-May?

Regarding todays match it was overall such a weakened side I wouldn't want to judge each player too much, if just one or 2 of them had been otherwise in a starting 11 I'm sure that each would have done better.

True. But they (we) didn't pay very much. It's been explained why he chose the side that he did. It was a disappointing result but I'm not going to get hugely upset by it.

Fortunately I didn't make it! Had a memorial service which I ended up not going to. Bit late to buy tickets or maybe having sat through the Norwich replay.........

I know why he chose that team. But not a good excuse that it was only £15. I went to U23 game at SMS earlier this season and it was free entry.

just to be clear I said limited, not useless. When the side is weakened he doesn't stand out at all. He doesn't get hold of a game and lead by example, he just disappears into the mediocrity. When in a stronger side we carry him. As I said, he's a decent tidy footballer, but we should be able to do much much better. RK bought Morgan. Why didn't he come back for,Clasie?

Interesting criteria you use to demonstrate quality. Equally facile could be why did RK buy Clasie and sell Schneiderlin when here? Obviously he would have got short shrift with a Clasie bid in January and clear Schneiderlin was available.

Anyway debating this point is stupid and don't think we disagree too much.

Fortunately I didn't make it! Had a memorial service which I ended up not going to. Bit late to buy tickets or maybe having sat through the Norwich replay.........

I know why he chose that team. But not a good excuse that it was only £15. I went to U23 game at SMS earlier this season and it was free entry.

The price of the game is one of those things. If we win it's worth it. If we lose it's arguably not as you are effecting paying to see your team get beat (in no way do I blame anyone for that, the players or the manager. It was just an obvious point).

Interesting criteria you use to demonstrate quality. Equally facile could be why did RK buy Clasie and sell Schneiderlin when here? Obviously he would have got short shrift with a Clasie bid in January and clear Schneiderlin was available.

Anyway debating this point is stupid and don't think we disagree too much.

I have no idea. Clasie is no where near as good as Schneiderlin was for us by the way. Shame we didn't re-sign Schneiderlin tbh. He's a great player.

Seems mad to me how there are 10 Premier League matches just in December and January when there is also more chance for Premier League clubs still being in cup competitions (Saints played 16 matches just in Dec/Jan!). I'm not in favour of a Winter break but the 'authorities' seem to do the opposite and cram in even more at that time of year. No wonder the FA cup gets lost in it all and clubs have to make choices where their prioritise lie and how best to manage their squads. Then from next Saturday onwards mostly only 1 match a week until the end of the season of 15 League matches in 3.5 months. Why not have more mid-week matches spaced out between now and mid-May?

Regarding todays match it was overall such a weakened side I wouldn't want to judge each player too much, if just one or 2 of them had been otherwise in a starting 11 I'm sure that each would have done better.

Agree with you. The fixture list is congested at some stages of the season but extremely thin and spaced out at other stages of the season. Bad schedule imo.

PEH at least has potential to get better & he showed at the start that he can be very good Bayern Munich don't buy rubbish..... Classie on the other hand I have seen enough of to say that he will never get better simply to lightweight & too mediocre at everything he does!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

He just needs to wake up at times. I don't have natural talent as an athlete and have made it at elite level in one sport, I'm also at elite level in something else (but I'd consider that a hobby rather than a sport). It's due to effort and being constantly switched on. A lot of players are prone to falling asleep and losing their concentration. PEH is one of them. He seems decent on the ball and a natural talent and a natural athlete. But that's not enough at this level. He needs to wake up a bit.

My bad, and apologies, if I offended anyone. My intention was to support the players and the manager.

Most of us do but Claude needs backing.

Whilst I get the academy and think we have a few gems to come we have positions we don't cover well.

Our spine needs a serious look at.

Last night showed a keeper, centre half, Romeu back up and forward.

My guess is because we hadn't reached the EFL final at that stage so wanted to try and stay in the FA cup until it was clear if we were in the final. It feels like getting to the EFL cup final made the club decide to bin off the FA cup.

I don't think we binned it. We got unlucky with a weakened side.

Wtf this is crazy. He has got us to our first major final in 12 years. With our injury list he couldnt really put out a much stronger side.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree with you.

I stand corrected, thanks for showing up my poor memory CP, all is forgiven.

In fairness Yoshida and Rodriguez make that side vs Norwich look a lot better.

Most of us do but it seems the board and recruiting are not.

Whilst I get the academy and think we have a few gems to come we have positions we don't cover well.

Our spine needs a serious look at.

Last night showed a keeper, centre half, Romeu back up and forward.

Another keeper, another centre back, back up for Romeu and a forward. I'm with you on that. The stronger we are the better (obviously). It's a shame we didn't sign Schneiderlin when he was available (he might have been demanding extortionate wages that we weren't willing to pay though). In terms of a keeper it's difficult to find good ones willing to sit on the bench. Dare I say it we could try to sign an improve on Forster and a back up (and sell Forster). Centre back I'd like to sign one that comes into the first team personally, with Yoshida shifting once more to back up (although I do appreciate his work ethic and professionalism). Back up for Romeu would be good enough to be in the side as a central midfielder I imagine. We do need a proper top quality centre forward. Right now both our centre forwards are just hard workers with pace, physicality and stamina, which there's nothing wrong with (but it's not really good enough if we want to keep improving as a side and want to keep finishing higher up each season on a regular basis).

just to be clear I said limited, not useless. When the side is weakened he doesn't stand out at all. He doesn't get hold of a game and lead by example, he just disappears into the mediocrity. When in a stronger side we carry him. As I said, he's a decent tidy footballer, but we should be able to do much much better. RK bought Morgan. Why didn't he come back for,Clasie?

Yes he's limited. I don't rate him. I think I could do the same job personally. He's just a hard worker, that's it. Not saying that's a bad thing, but he doesn't really bring much else to the table. I do think he's a good player still. Just not good enough to be more than a squad player. I rate the likes of Ward-Prowse and PEH above him. Clasie is just an engine like Davis. You need one in every side. If you already have Romeu in the side then Clasie should never get a game. Davis can still get a game (within reason) in my team with Romeu in the side as he's a different type of player despite being mostly an engine as well.

I agree with the player assessments but whether Puel ballsed it up is a moot point. If Puel was undecided about whether some of those that played last night were just squad players, or need to be moved on, then I suspect he has probably got a clearer view on some than others. I guess with so many Premiership teams putting out under strength teams it proves that most clubs value being in the PL rather than the FA cup looks like we are no different.

I think teams, and managers, like to trial youth and fringe players in the cup. There isn't much on the line financially and they can learn a thing or two about these players. Agree with your general point.

Clasie has had plenty of good games and is far from useless. He has played part in some of our weak lineups though so hasn't helped him progress.

He's a good player. I do understand the frustration with players that can't win an aerial. Short footballers are so unphysical at times it's not funny. It surprises me more of them haven't developed a huge vertical to make up for lack of size. What they miss out on in the air helps them on the floor. They are much quicker on their feet, better at defending one on one, better dribblers, more agile and so on. It's a trade off.

Another keeper, another centre back, back up for Romeu and a forward. I'm with you on that. The stronger we are the better (obviously). It's a shame we didn't sign Schneiderlin when he was available (he might have been demanding extortionate wages that we weren't willing to pay though). In terms of a keeper it's difficult to find good ones willing to sit on the bench. Dare I say it we could try to sign an improve on Forster and a back up (and sell Forster). Centre back I'd like to sign one that comes into the first team personally, with Yoshida shifting once more to back up (although I do appreciate his work ethic and professionalism). Back up for Romeu would be good enough to be in the side as a central midfielder I imagine. We do need a proper top quality centre forward. Right now both our centre forwards are just hard workers with pace, physicality and stamina, which there's nothing wrong with (but it's not really good enough if we want to keep improving as a side and want to keep finishing higher up each season on a regular basis).

With the games we have we could have recruited the Irish keeper. To sign Taylor and not risk him in any game is poor recruiting.

We gave Gazza a 4 year deal why???

There are a few decent players lower down that would be good. Lawrence on loan at Ipswich from Leicester worth keeping an eye on.

Hopefully we can get a few over the line this week to help Claude.

With the games we have we could have recruited the Irish keeper. To sign Taylor and not risk him in any game is poor recruiting.

We gave Gazza a 4 year deal why???

There are a few decent players lower down that would be good. Lawrence on loan at Ipswich from Leicester worth keeping an eye on.

Hopefully we can get a few over the line this week to help Claude.

I really have no idea. I wouldn't mind us going in big for a keeper (as mentioned above, including a back up). Forster can't catch a cold this season. Whether that's his fault, or not, I really don't know. Is it just all he's capable of now after the knee injury and getting older? The same thing happened to Lewis against Arsenal (the couldn't catch a cold part). But there's no argument Forster should have done a lot better with a lot of stuff this season. He's got a hand on a lot of shots and not kept them out. I saw a stat that put him 20th out of 23 keepers this season for goals conceded vs expected goals conceded. Tom Heaton was number 1 out of interest. I would go in for Tom Heaton personally if I was in charge. I like to build my side from the back and he probably has a few years left in him at that standard. What he would cost to usurp from Burnley I really don't know.

Gazzaniga is a natural athlete, tall, lean, limber and acrobatic. Big kick too. But I don't know if that's enough at this level. He is all over the place at times and his brain seemed scrambled whenever he played for us. Shame really.

Nor are we going to be buying one discreetly.

I don't think we'll buy one either. Not really relevant to the discussion I started above. I said what I wanted and how I wanted to improve the squad. To open a discussion about how other posters would. It wasn't a prediction on what I expected to happen (and wasn't a prediction about how I expect the club to build a squad).

Is anyone really bothered about last night ?

Bad team choice. Bad performances. Not many alternatives given the hectic schedule of games and the mounting list of the injuries to key players

All in all, a very bad day at the office

No ones died. We can focus on the Prem and defeating Manure at the end of the month.Not bothered.

We march on

There's no need for your puerile insults. Did you actually pay your money and go last night? Two of us did and had to sit there watching lambs get methodically slaughtered.

We comprehensively threw this game. Gave up before the start. Lay down and let them trample all over us. Use whatever metaphor you like it was cheap and demeaning, totally lacking in any integrity. Can anybody please suggest any other sporting competition in which it is acceptable that you just don't bother, don't give it your best shot, don't even begin to try? Would this action have been acceptable in the last game of the season against a team that need to win in order to be champions?

You can't pick and choose which games you want to win, you have to give everything 100% or don't bother.

There's no need for your puerile insults. Did you actually pay your money and go last night? Two of us did and had to sit there watching lambs get methodically slaughtered.

We comprehensively threw this game. Gave up before the start. Lay down and let them trample all over us. Use whatever metaphor you like it was cheap and demeaning, totally lacking in any integrity. Can anybody please suggest any other sporting competition in which it is acceptable that you just don't bother, don't give it your best shot, don't even begin to try? Would this action have been acceptable in the last game of the season against a team that need to win in order to be champions?

You can't pick and choose which games you want to win, you have to give everything 100% or don't bother.

Some people who were bemoaning fans commitment and bragging about their Anfield attendance are the same ones who do pick and choose and openly don't give a sh1t about many games. Amusing their definition of loyalty when in effect are nothing more than glory hunters.

'Yeah I just gave up and turned the tv off'

Simo - were you watching Let it Shine or at the game?

Embarrassing, puel should take a serious look at himself after choosing that team.

Not only that he the manager said we can not play every three days with same team, sorry we played Leicester and three days latter played Liverpool with the same team.

Some people who were bemoaning fans commitment and bragging about their Anfield attendance are the same ones who do pick and choose and openly don't give a sh1t about many games. Amusing their definition of loyalty when in effect are nothing more than glory hunters.

'Yeah I just gave up and turned the tv off'

Simo - were you watching Let it Shine or at the game?

:lol:

Nice to see what we have in the Stable, a lot of good young players. That's as positive as it gets! I don't usually put down our players, they are part of my team! but no stand-outs, no one with something special in their skill, physically or speed. Arsenal had a few gems in their young players, they were far better than our young players. Arsenal pros of Welbeck/Waclott destroyed our poor back line, there was too much pace and experience. I have to agree not many are ready to step up into the first team and some should step out of the first team. Gardos to slow, not good reading or man tracking. Martina was ok but still showed his imitations of not being able to beat a man, he almost always checks back if challenged and kills forward momentum. Clasie is ok, nothing special, but not bad enough or good enough to change a game. PEH was the man whom I lost faith in....should not be in out first 11, should not have played out that last game. The reason I picked him out of the rest of the ****e on the field is because I had high hopes for him. He came to SFC with the reputation of having something special (pep G said he had something special), his composure and ball movement looked very good, not great pace but a good engine. But the FA game he seemed to take on the leaders roll and it failed miserably. So much of the play broke down through him. He tried to make things happen but couldn't pull it off, he destroyed the rhythm of the game. OK, one bad game, but its not! several times this season he has been poor on the field, head down in tight spots and then a panic pass! I could see CP was very angry with his play, CP was hoping the play would go through PEH, but it kept breaking down through him. I will never boo a saints player, but for someone who i thought had the potential to be great, he really let me down in that game. SAINTS GO MARCHING IN!!

What did Puel say in his post match interview? Can't listen to it here....

The possibility for an opportunity, for opportunities and possibilities, and possibility of opportunity.... and on and on.

Same as every pre and post match interview since he arrived.

Great post whitey....this is the FA cup and I could not believe the team selection and it's a serious question. I remember being excited the day before the FA cup final in the late 60s and beyond. Most of my class mates felt the same. What has happened? Why not withdraw from the cup? This would send a message to the greedy buggers who are making the teams play so often that enough us enough. I didn't go yesterday (minimum of 5 hours in the car there and back) and I could not bring myself to watch it. I am very, very disappointed with Saints and with football for allowing this situation to arise. At the root of it is greed with the premier league being awash with cash.

Spot on. I'm amazed that he's got us to Wembley given the football we've played this season. In fact, getting us to the final has probably just bought him time in the job. Whatever happens in the final, I'd still like him gone. He does nothing to inspire any confidence at all. Today's team selection being a case in point. The fans were on a high after Wednesday and then he goes and ****es us all off with this nonsense.

I agree with this totally .

Not even Pamplemouse using capital letters can sway me now .

Puel needs to go .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

We have 8 first team injuries. We have 9 points possible from winnable games for a team of our status in the next 3 games. But to maximize points we need to not have any more injuries.

Just this once, quite happy to play our second string.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This

Why? We are comfortably going to finish mid table the Swansea game will have little impact one way or the other. One cup final is fantastic no getting away from that but I don't see why getting to one should mean we just blow the other cup off just to prioritise one league game that will have make very little difference at the end of the season.

That's one of the most arrogant posts I've seen.

I was not surprised with the team selection given the efforts we must have put in on Wednesday night. However I did spend good money to go and watch what was a Men vs Boys display. There is no way you can expect a team with 10 changes on starting line up to perform. It's unfair to judge any individual player on the basis of that result.

Either I was numbed in to apathy watching that training pitch game that my hearing was affected, but I don't think anyone in the stadium was bothered at the final whistle as I didn't hear any boo's

The stadium was half empty so those that were still there were the faithful sort who would never boo their own team. We stayed until the final whistle because that's who we are and what we do. And because we wanted to avoid the crowds outside the ground when we left ;)

You should be ashamed. Be quiet child.

Sorry Clod ( I mean 'dad').

Rubbish. Don't make stuff up.

Sorry Arsene ( I mean 'dad').

PEH is no where near as good as claimed on here. He's half decent, but some seem to worship him on here. Romeu is a top player, PEH isn't even close to that. Hopefully PEH improves and becomes one in the future.

Sorry, I actually agree in part with JBS. I make no comment about the photograph bit although that could be right.

I think the squad in general is quite injury prone. We have two centre forwards that play on the edge and with high intensity, as a result both are prone to injury. Boufal and Tadic both seem injury prone. As does Davis a bit (plays on the edge mentally and physically). Bertrand plays on the edge, so he gets injured more too than some. Romeu is robust, so despite playing on the edge seems to rarely get injured (just needs the occasional rest).

The likes of Cedric are small statured (not a dig, just a fact) so are more prone to injury it seems. Not many of our players are particularly robust so I do understand the rotation.

I am interested in the possibilities of this Doctor ... Who?

You sound like a club plant or a fantasist. For the first time ever on this forum I find myself reaching for the 'ignore button'. Please feel free to congratulate yourself.

Seriously, are we trying to become more like Arsenal by flipping between calling for the manager to be in/out after each up or down?

Is anyone calling for Puel out on this thread? The debate is surely weather we should, as a mid table side, prioritise a cup game over a league game and what form rotation takes. Yesterday was the first time this season I've felt Puel took rotation to far.