Transfer Deadline Day Jan 2017 Edition

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Clutching at straws I know, but perhaps VVD's injury is healing better than expected.

Only logical reason I can see for not getting CB cover in.

Seeing as we were apparently trying to get a CB but failed, I doubt VVD recovering quickly has anything to do with it. Nothing about this situation seems calculated.

Sakho loan fee is £2m + wages of whatever. Say it is £100k a week as he is on at Liverpool. Loan to end of season say is 16 weeks away. So package might well be in the region of £3.6m for someone who hasn't played a senior game for Liverpool since 20th April 2016.

Sakho loan fee is £2m + wages of whatever. Say it is £100k a week as he is on at Liverpool. Loan to end of season say is 16 weeks away. So package might well be in the region of £3.6m for someone who hasn't played a senior game for Liverpool since 20th April 2016.

But he's a very good player when he's up to speed and we are desperate for a cb. He was available and we bottled it because of his wages.

Does Reed sign the wages off, does he sign the cheques? It's all well and good blaming him,but nobody knows his remit. Before I start slagging him off I'd like to know what budgets he was set and also the extent of VvD's injury. Only then can you make a judgement on a centre half not coming in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we plan a window in advance (Reed takes credit for), and also analyse all the available data so we know everything about the player (Reed takes credit for) and have a unique approach to strive for top 6 on our budget (Reed takes credit for, therefore knows the budget) then he has to take the blame for this. If we are by far the greatest scouting team the world has ever seen then we should have worked out, long before deadline day, that Sakho wanted to live in London and/or his wage demands would be ridiculous. We should have signed a CB long before yesterday, 3 weeks into the window really - you know when West Ham signed their new centre back.

VVD injury irrelevant here: we were clearly trying to sign Sakho and Tasci so there was a need identified.

I'd recommend to start slagging him off. I like Les in the main, I'm not one of the loons but he has really failed this time. A victim of his own hype.

we had a leader who had just won the european friggin champioships.

we ship him out early doors (whilst dropping him from every european game)

now look.

what a mess. From Fonte and VvD to Stephen and Yoshida. Given that it is puel's disturbingly boring game plan to defend and nick a goal. We are in the shyt

IF we stay up, dread to think the state of our team after the summer

VvD is as good as gone

Rom and Bertrand - will do well to keep them here

there is bound to be someone not on the radar who all of a sudden throws a wobbly (according to Jeremy Wilson) and needs to leave

Edited by Batman

Can't believe this forum is so full of whining "fans". We have possibly broken our transfer record again and instead of celebrating, people moan about no CB. Yoshi and Stephens proved us all wrong against Liverpool in the cup and will hopefully do so again and again until VVD is fit again. Yes we lost last night, but we didn't win every game with Fonte and VVD playing.

Saints fans before he signed for Palace: he's crap don't want him here.

Saints fans after he signed for palace: I'm fuming, Cant believe we didn't get him here

I didn't really want him here, too expensive and no match practice for six months, but if he was the target we'd been tracking all window then we should have signed him or been ready with another of our options the black box and greatest scouting and planning team in football had meticulously planned out.

The point is really that Palace managed to sign a centre back this window, as did West Ham United and we didn't.

An absolute abysmal window by the club. We needed a central defender and a goal scorer and we end up with a keeper and a forward who has never scored more than 10 in a season.

What worries me about Gabbiadini is that he is 25 and with limited skills to be developed. He isn't that kind of raw material we have signed earlier. And by not signing a central defender we will be in a real mess in the summer when we will need to rebuild with 2 new central defenders after VVD leaves. And due to the injury of VVD we are in a mess now as well team wise.

I think it is clear that the focus is elsewhere at the moment. We are looking too much into investment/selling the club and are loosing our place as first challenger to the top 6.

Can't believe this forum is so full of whining "fans". We have possibly broken our transfer record again and instead of celebrating, people moan about no CB. Yoshi and Stephens proved us all wrong against Liverpool in the cup and will hopefully do so again and again until VVD is fit again. Yes we lost last night, but we didn't win every game with Fonte and VVD playing.

sorry but your post really smacks of burying your head in the sand. Fair enough though if that's what you choose to believe. Let's pray one of them doesn't get injured. We have come from concern every time Yoshida plays to now viewing him as a defensive saviour, that's worrying in itself isn't it ?

£3.9m is a lot of money to us on here but in football terms is negligible, I'm not saying that it should have been Sakho but there must have been a good out of favour CB somewhere out there to get in on loan between now and mid May. I think that a loan would have been the way to go in this transfer window, with the transfer money and Fonte off the wages we should have been able to attract someone decent in on good money.

I feel that the club haven't got to grips with the influx of extra money available this season, other clubs seem to have realized that their income has increased substantially and acted accordingly.

Something strange seems to be going on behind the scenes with regard to treating people who apparently do not really want to leave i.e. Koeman, Fonte, I'm not saying we should bend over to their demands but we do seem to disengage with them, go cold on them, make them feel not wanted and just let them leave. Well that's the feeling I get anyway, whether that's the truth is another matter.

sorry but your post really smacks of burying your head in the sand. Fair enough though if that's what you choose to believe. Let's pray one of them doesn't get injured. We have come from concern every time Yoshida plays to now viewing him as a defensive saviour, that's worrying in itself isn't it ?

What if VVD injury isn't as bad as first thought tho, what if Gardos stands up to plate if we do get an injury! Honestly cant believe the vitriolic overreaction on here and twitter, you would think someone had died! I will take final for a start, and with Boufal fit and Gabbi signed, I am sure we will win more than we lose before end of season

Yoshida, Stephens and Gardos. We have enough bodies to 'survive', its the quality that might be the issue. The Gardos signing now really comes into focus. Putting the injuries to one side he hasn't impressed, but perhaps the club have more faith in him than the fans. Stephens has done pretty well, so the club clearly think he can be trusted to hold the fort. Is Sahko that much better?

If you look at last nights game, in general the CBs did OK. Questions can be asked about the second goal, but I'd point to the lack of a Morgan to chase down the breakaway from a defensive midfield position. Weak as **** down the middle leaves CBs exposed.

An absolute abysmal window by the club. We needed a central defender and a goal scorer and we end up with a keeper and a forward who has never scored more than 10 in a season.

What worries me about Gabbiadini is that he is 25 and with limited skills to be developed. He isn't that kind of raw material we have signed earlier. And by not signing a central defender we will be in a real mess in the summer when we will need to rebuild with 2 new central defenders after VVD leaves. And due to the injury of VVD we are in a mess now as well team wise.

I think it is clear that the focus is elsewhere at the moment. We are looking too much into investment/selling the club and are loosing our place as first challenger to the top 6.

Eight hours in and already our new striker is ****e. That's has to be a record even for this place.

I see Forren is on that list......

As is Neal Trotman!

On a serious note though, from looking at that list our options are to stick, or twist and go for Caceres, Samba or Carvalho - if any of those signed for say, Sunderland, we'd be laughing at their desperation!

Thought i'd see a nice surprise this morning, obviously not then. Epic fail from the club. Completely makes a mockery of the black box crap they spout.

If we weren't going to replace Fonte, then you don't let him leave. Simple. I have no faith in a player who has been injured for 2 years, and throwing in a 19 year old isn't fair. We've gone from having a decent defense but not scoring enough, to having an absolutely diabolical defense but not scoring enough.

Nice one everyone involved at the club for this royal **** up.

Bournemouth make an £18m bid for Ake and here we are asking for a Swansea reject on loan. :lol:

Ambition.

agree that the loan from Swansea was a weird one if true, but Howe was quoted on the BBC hours before the deadline saying that yes they had made a bid, but nothing like what was being quoted in the media, and it had been been rejected.

Sky then spent several hours talks about an £18 million bid as if it was news, well after it wasn't. Their deadline day coverage is all about hype, not reality.

Thought i'd see a nice surprise this morning, obviously not then. Epic fail from the club. Completely makes a mockery of the black box crap they spout.

If we weren't going to replace Fonte, then you don't let him leave. Simple. I have no faith in a player who has been injured for 2 years, and throwing in a 19 year old isn't fair. We've gone from having a decent defense but not scoring enough, to having an absolutely diabolical defense but not scoring enough.

Nice one everyone involved at the club for this royal **** up.

Who is the 19 year old to whom you refer?

For those that were saying the Fonte sale was good business, now you know why you can't make such judgements without having seen the quality of the replacement.

So, the way it's turned out, we've sold our captain and a lynchpin of the team, to a rival, mid-season, with a rare cup final coming up, failed to replace him, and all for the sake of a few months on a contract and a bit of careful ego management.

I hope Reed provides the fans with an explanation and doesn't leave it to Puel to face the music.

Mexes has been around for a while and played for some decent teams - could do a job am sure better than Amati!

Has become injury and suspension prone, only played about 100 games in 5 seasons at AC Milan and a lot of those missed were due to suspensions. Won't fit the bill in the PL unfortunately.

As is Neal Trotman!

On a serious note though, from looking at that list our options are to stick, or twist and go for Caceres, Samba or Carvalho - if any of those signed for say, Sunderland, we'd be laughing at their desperation!

Whats up with Cacares, he was a very decent CB when he was playing, anyone with knowledge of Serie A understand why he hasn't got a club yet, he cant have got that bad?!

Whats up with Cacares, he was a very decent CB when he was playing, anyone with knowledge of Serie A understand why he hasn't got a club yet, he cant have got that bad?!

He was out for some time with a serious injury and apparently wouldn't come cheap (apparently wants £100k a week, i assume he'll hold out for China), would imagine this is has put a lot of teams off.

We are in a poor position though and IMO don't have much choice, he'll also offer good cover at RB! If we get him now, it should give him enough time to get match fit and ready for the final.

Reminds me of when with first came back and we had Gazzaniga and Davies as out goalkeeping options before we brought in Bourc on a free, after the window closed.

Edited by SKD

He was out for some time with a serious injury and apparently wouldn't come cheap (apparently wants £100k a week, i assume he'll hold out for China), would imagine this is has put a lot of teams off.

We are in a poor position though and IMO don't have much choice, he'll also offer good cover at RB! If we get him now, it should give him enough time to get match fit and ready for the final.

Reminds me of when with first came back and we had Gazzaniga and Davies as out goalkeeping options before we brought in Bourc on a free, after the window closed.

Plus, there would be some resale value to him too (always a factor with saints) with him being an international with Uruguay and also being under 30 years old.

Jeremy Wilson writing at 11.11pm last night on the DT website

Southampton have not wanted to reveal the severity of Van Dijk’s injury until after the transfer window closes but it is understood that there is no expectation of him returning for next month’s big Wembley final. Hassen, as well as Gabbiadini, would be available to play against United in the League Cup final.

Jeremy Wilson writing at 11.11pm last night on the DT website

Southampton have not wanted to reveal the severity of Van Dijk’s injury until after the transfer window closes but it is understood that there is no expectation of him returning for next month’s big Wembley final. Hassen, as well as Gabbiadini, would be available to play against United in the League Cup final.

They don't want to reveal the true extent of his injury because he's out for 3 months, they seriously messed up by not getting a replacement in, and the backlash will be total, especially if we loose the final. I think a large majority of the fan base would blame Reed.

What a ****ing ridiculous risk to take. We knew Fonte wanted out all season, we should have had his replacement in the first week of January.

Reed is probably wetting his pants at the thought of a youngster taking the field at Wembley. Let's hope it pays off and doesn't cost us our Premier League place as well as a chance for silverware.

They don't want to reveal the true extent of his injury because he's out for 3 months, they seriously messed up by not getting a replacement in, and the backlash will be total, especially if we loose the final. I think a large majority of the fan base would blame Reed.

Well as we probably have a respectable chance of losing the final anyway I don't see that it makes a great deal of difference. With or without VvD Utd will be odds on favourites, just as they were last time we played them at Wembley.:rolleyes: I'd certainly not blame Reed because VvD got injured, I'd just blame whoever dictates transfer policy in general.

What a ****ing ridiculous risk to take. We knew Fonte wanted out all season, we should have had his replacement in the first week of January.

Reed is probably wetting his pants at the thought of a youngster taking the field at Wembley. Let's hope it pays off and doesn't cost us our Premier League place as well as a chance for silverware.

I doubt Reed is worried about youngsters playing at Wembley I'm pretty sure bring through youngsters is a big part of the club culture as Reed see's it.

I doubt Reed is worried about youngsters playing at Wembley I'm pretty sure bring through youngsters is a big part of the club culture as Reed see's it.

which is fine, except they're not good enough. Think this may have been Koeman's position on the matter.