Transfer Deadline Day Jan 2017 Edition

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Completely agree, I don't buy all the nonsense about his wage demands are too high. Lets not be naïve, clubs and agents talk all the time, Saints will know exactly what wage demands a player will want before they even approach the clubs they are playing for. It's not like they do all the hard work and then when they're sitting round the table thrashing out the deal the player then says "I want £110k a week" saints then reply "sorry we can only go to £60k a week, adios"

We've known Fonte wanted out for six months, we have all these claims that we know who we want replace out going players long before they leave, we've always got stacks of players lined up etc, will this has been proven to be utter bo*llocks. The reality is that because we didn't have anyone lined up we were over a barrel and you cant blame agents for trying to squeeze a few extra quid out if they cant, that's their jobs. The reality was the summer window and the January one have been terrible. I like the sound of Gabbiandi but once Fonte decided to go then our absolute priority should have been an experienced defender and the failure to land one even on loan is shambolic.

I am not sure you are being serious (it can be difficult with you sometimes) but you are spot on and so was Minsk. As you know I am quick to be disgruntled but our lack of a coherent plan re signing a central defender has left me feeling even more disgruntled than normal. Hope to God we win on Saturday.

I did read the post. It's the same as every post you write. We get it you don't agree with what the vast majority thinks, you consider them trolls. A troll is a poster who posts unpopular remarks with the intention of trying to annoy people. As mentioned we are joint bottom of the form table. To say people are trolls for not being happy with that is insane. It is as you said trolling. That is why nobody takes you seriously and why most probably wished you were still banned. Rather than slag people off, offer an opinion on why you think they are wrong. Don't just play the troll card.

One more time just for you, I have NO problem with opinion just the need to repeat it over and over and that is annoying, i never said those that were unhappy were trolls so you are wrong.

One more time just for you, I have NO problem with opinion just the need to repeat it over and over and that is annoying, i never said those that were unhappy were trolls so you are wrong.

I cant work out if you live in a glass house or a bedsit.

I'm not so sure the whole issue with signing a CB is as clear cut as some are making out.

I would certainly have preferred Jose to stay until the end of the season as I'm sure he would have kept his head down and been professional enough if called upon.

However - Yoshida has upped his game this year, and I guess you could say he's been rewarded for that along with his loyalty so far (he's never thrown his toys out of the pram, despite getting plenty of flak from some fans). He at least deserves a chance to establish himself with VVD as a first-choice CB.

Stephens - I personally don't think it's a coincidence that he's broken into the team at the same sort of time as the Fonte saga reached its conclusion - I think the club wanted to give him a punt to see if he really could hack it. He's got a long way to go before you can call him a Premier League player, but the early signs are good and I have no issue with him being our 3rd choice CB once VVD comes back. Surely this is what we are looking to do as a club - develop players and give them a chance? Otherwise what is the point of them being here?

Gardos - obviously he's not had a good time with us, particularly with the serious injury. At this moment in time you'd have to say he's our 4th choice CB. He has got everything to prove and hopefully he will. He wasn't a "bargain basement" purchase, the club will have spent quite a lot of money on him so far in terms of his transfer fee and wages, so you'd like to think there is a decent player in there somewhere.

I'm not so sure the whole issue with signing a CB is as clear cut as some are making out.

I would certainly have preferred Jose to stay until the end of the season as I'm sure he would have kept his head down and been professional enough if called upon.

However - Yoshida has upped his game this year, and I guess you could say he's been rewarded for that along with his loyalty so far (he's never thrown his toys out of the pram, despite getting plenty of flak from some fans). He at least deserves a chance to establish himself with VVD as a first-choice CB.

Stephens - I personally don't think it's a coincidence that he's broken into the team at the same sort of time as the Fonte saga reached its conclusion - I think the club wanted to give him a punt to see if he really could hack it. He's got a long way to go before you can call him a Premier League player, but the early signs are good and I have no issue with him being our 3rd choice CB once VVD comes back. Surely this is what we are looking to do as a club - develop players and give them a chance? Otherwise what is the point of them being here?

Gardos - obviously he's not had a good time with us, particularly with the serious injury. At this moment in time you'd have to say he's our 4th choice CB. He has got everything to prove and hopefully he will. He wasn't a "bargain basement" purchase, the club will have spent quite a lot of money on him so far in terms of his transfer fee and wages, so you'd like to think there is a decent player in there somewhere.

I totally understand your comments and it could very much be true.

The thing I dont get is we are hearing about four failed attempts to bring a CB in on the last day which suggests they too are not happy.

I am not sure you are being serious (it can be difficult with you sometimes) but you are spot on and so was Minsk. As you know I am quick to be disgruntled but our lack of a coherent plan re signing a central defender has left me feeling even more disgruntled than normal. Hope to God we win on Saturday.

Personally it seems to me that Fonte was squeezed out for finances. Get the best money for him while they could, it definately was not a football decision.

I still cant work out why he neve played in the European games unless of course that was to keep his value for any prospective buyers, but in the end was meaningless.

I just hope they have judged Stephens coreectly and he will slip in alongside Yoshida until VVD comes back.

Completely agree, I don't buy all the nonsense about his wage demands are too high. Lets not be naïve, clubs and agents talk all the time, Saints will know exactly what wage demands a player will want before they even approach the clubs they are playing for. It's not like they do all the hard work and then when they're sitting round the table thrashing out the deal the player then says "I want £110k a week" saints then reply "sorry we can only go to £60k a week, adios"

We've known Fonte wanted out for six months, we have all these claims that we know who we want replace out going players long before they leave, we've always got stacks of players lined up etc, will this has been proven to be utter bo*llocks. The reality is that because we didn't have anyone lined up we were over a barrel and you cant blame agents for trying to squeeze a few extra quid out if they cant, that's their jobs. The reality was the summer window and the January one have been terrible. I like the sound of Gabbiandi but once Fonte decided to go then our absolute priority should have been an experienced defender and the failure to land one even on loan is shambolic.

This is my biggest gripe.

I've been very critical of our style of play under Puel, but he has not been helped by Ross Wilson (i'm yet to see what he brings to the table) and Les Reed who IMO need to shoulder some of the blame for this years performances.

I totally understand your comments and it could very much be true.

The thing I dont get is we are hearing about four failed attempts to bring a CB in on the last day which suggests they too are not happy.

Exactly. Les will come out and claim Stephens was our choice to replace fonte ect.. but the fact we put in a desperate loan bid for Jordi Amat (I mean WTF???) shows that they know we have royally ****ed up this window.

Exactly. Les will come out and claim Stephens was our choice to replace fonte ect.. but the fact we put in a desperate loan bid for Jordi Amat (I mean WTF???) shows that they know we have royally ****ed up this window.

Perhaps ****ed up is not strictly fair, maybe they tried but the players clubs would not sell...

Is there a good reason why Martin Caceres is still without a club 6 months into the new season.

I mean his CV is impressive and he still is the right side of 30..

What is the black box warning us against with him?

His demand for £100k p/w wages apparently put West Ham off signing him...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-decide-against-late-9730092

It would appear that we tried to bring forward the signing of our number 1 summer CB target but the price went up by €5m and the wage demands also increased dramatically.

Looks like similar happened to the main loan target who want £3m for the period of the loan, tax free, meaning both we and Palace walked away and then panic ensued.

I agree that Reed has royally fu_cked up as if we'd done the deals early as we should have then the issues wouldn't have arisen.

It would appear that we tried to bring forward the signing of our number 1 summer CB target but the price went up by €5m and the wage demands also increased dramatically.

Looks like similar happened to the main loan target who want £3m for the period of the loan, tax free, meaning both we and Palace walked away and then panic ensued.

I agree that Reed has royally fu_cked up as if we'd done the deals early as we should have then the issues wouldn't have arisen.

Any idea who this is?

Are we starting to see a few excuses dripped out to the media by Big Les or are these just musings people are seeing on twitter and Facebook.

It was a slightly foolish time for Les to remind everyone of his previous nicknames (les miserables, Santa Clueless)

Also liked the end of the Jeremy Cross interview

Reed embodies the old adage ‘fail to prepare then prepare to fail

World renowned ITK Jack Schitt Said (bottom off page)

1st time I've seen that. All I'd heard was the main target was playing in Germany. The loan was Tasic (however you spell it) who wanted such insane money that even Palace, and we know Sam loves a defender, baulked.

I'm now more interested if Schar, if that's who it is, is still coming in the summer.

Reed is taking one hell of a gamble and I can't help but feel Puel is being royally fu_cked over.

World renowned ITK Jack Schitt Said (bottom off page)

I don't know if any of that is true but he's not that bright! " VVD shouldn't be out for months as reported " at best another 4-6 weeks before he starts training when he's already been out for 2 weeks so lets call that 8 weeks or two months, plus say 2 weeks getting fit again .This puts him back playing again somewhere as said in the press between 2 and 3 months out.Although that's definitely not months.

I don't know if any of that is true but he's not that bright! " VVD shouldn't be out for months as reported " at best another 4-6 weeks before he starts training when he's already been out for 2 weeks so lets call that 8 weeks or two months, plus say 2 weeks getting fit again .This puts him back playing again somewhere as said in the press between 2 and 3 months out.Although that's definitely not months.

I'm sure Puel just said 2-3 months in the presser

His demand for £100k p/w wages apparently put West Ham off signing him...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-decide-against-late-9730092

right now, i think we should pay it. we could call it a 'signing on fee' to ensure we don't incur the weekly wages jealousy. no? or are we confident in Jack Stephens being the saviour of all things?

I can't believe that any falls for anyone of the nonsense he posts.

Most of it agrees with the info I've heard but there are some new details in there I wasn't aware of.

Seems to agree with View from the Top's info as well.

Obviously doesn't agree with the 'Les and Kat trying to fleece the club for all it's worth' conspiracy theories that are peddled shamelessly on here.

Gosh, I really don't know who to believe.

Oh hold on a minute .... I actually do.

right now, i think we should pay it. we could call it a 'signing on fee' to ensure we don't incur the weekly wages jealousy. no? or are we confident in Jack Stephens being the saviour of all things?

The difficulty is if he comes in at 100k a week, how is that going to make the other players feel. Especially VVD who is captain.

My guess is that it'll upset the apple cart and you'll have more than 1 member of the squad asking for a pay rise.

sorry just re read and this is pretty much exactly what you've said :blush:

The difficulty is if he comes in at 100k a week, how is that going to make the other players feel. Especially VVD who is captain.

My guess is that it'll upset the apple cart and you'll have more than 1 member of the squad asking for a pay rise.

sorry just re read and this is pretty much exactly what you've said :blush:

People alwasy talk about "how is that going to make the other players feel" do top clubs have this problem for example did Man Utd have similar problems when signing a Pogbe/Ibrahimovic, was for example Luke Shaw kicking up a stink?

Perhaps ****ed up is not strictly fair, maybe they tried but the players clubs would not sell...

.....then they shouldn't have sold Fonte. They f**ked up, there's no other way to describe it. I've always been *very* pro-Les Reed. Within the past 12-18 months I've begun to take what he says with a pinch of salt, since he's made himself look foolish on one too many occasions. In this instance, his actions (and those of his team, etc) are that of a f**cking clown/amateur.

People alwasy talk about "how is that going to make the other players feel" do top clubs have this problem for example did Man Utd have similar problems when signing a Pogbe/Ibrahimovic, was for example Luke Shaw kicking up a stink?

Have you seriously just compared Shaw to Pogba and Ibrahimovic :lol::lol: Think how much the latter have won in football and will earn the club in shirt sales alone...

My point is that VVD is our captain, if we desperately bring in someone not as good and pay him more than the captain, then he will rightly be p*ssed off. We could (imo should anyway in order to keep him) increase VVD's wages so that he is highest paid still, but then you'll have others coming to ask for more.

This will leave you with either unhappy players or a completely broken wage structure (you decide what you'd prefer).

As a side note, i'm surprised Gabbiadini is reportedly only on 40k a week! For our record signing I'd have expected it to be much more than that.

Have you seriously just compared Shaw to Pogba and Ibrahimovic [emoji38][emoji38] Think how much the latter have won in football and will earn the club in shirt sales alone...

My point is that VVD is our captain, if we desperately bring in someone not as good and pay him more than the captain, then he will rightly be p*ssed off. We could (imo should anyway in order to keep him) increase VVD's wages so that he is highest paid still, but then you'll have others coming to ask for more.

This will leave you with either unhappy players or a completely broken wage structure (you decide what you'd prefer).

As a side note, i'm surprised Gabbiadini is reportedly only on 40k a week! For our record signing I'd have expected it to be much more than that.

That might be his wage.... But what's his goals bonus.?

.....then they shouldn't have sold Fonte. They f**ked up, there's no other way to describe it. I've always been *very* pro-Les Reed. Within the past 12-18 months I've begun to take what he says with a pinch of salt, since he's made himself look foolish on one too many occasions. In this instance, his actions (and those of his team, etc) are that of a f**cking clown/amateur.

Agreed. I've always defended the club and our transfer policy (in the main, there were a few WTF signings) but there was absolutely no need to sell Fonte at all. Forget 'having replacements lined up', we shouldn't have sold him until a replacement was signed, sealed and on the OS holding a scarf in front of the Itchen stand.

The CB farce from the January Window is gone and we just need to get on with what we have. Yoshida, Stephens and Gardos have the potential to keep us solid until VVD returns hopefully mid March. We have two good full backs and Romeu in DM who can protect them as much as possible, not to mention that with the addition of Gabbiadini and return of Boufal, our chance creation and ultimately goalscoring will hopefully improve. All this talk of relegation is ridiculous. When you look at the CB possibilities for other clubs, ours dont look too bad -

Sunderland - Djilibodji/O'Shea/Kone

Bournemouth - Francis/Cook

Swansea - Mawson/Fernandez/Amat

Watford - Prodl/Kaboul/Cathcart

Hull - Maguire/Dawson/Ranocchia

Burnley - Keane/Mee

Not to mention the struggles of Leicester and West Ham defensively.

Yes LR and whoever else deals with transfers have messed up big time, but we should end up mid table by the seasons end and a day out at Wembley where we can all pray to the heavens. LR owes the fans after this and will hopefully make it up in the summer window.

This is my biggest gripe.

I've been very critical of our style of play under Puel, but he has not been helped by Ross Wilson (i'm yet to see what he brings to the table) and Les Reed who IMO need to shoulder some of the blame for this years performances.

Yes, I wonder what his contribution is meant to be. For a club that has a much lauded black box and recruitment dept we do seem to have ended up with several Koeman connections whilst he ws here, and more recently from Ligue 1.

The CB farce from the January Window is gone and we just need to get on with what we have. Yoshida, Stephens and Gardos have the potential to keep us solid until VVD returns hopefully mid March. We have two good full backs and Romeu in DM who can protect them as much as possible, not to mention that with the addition of Gabbiadini and return of Boufal, our chance creation and ultimately goalscoring will hopefully improve. All this talk of relegation is ridiculous. When you look at the CB possibilities for other clubs, ours dont look too bad -

Sunderland - Djilibodji/O'Shea/Kone

Bournemouth - Francis/Cook

Swansea - Mawson/Fernandez/Amat

Watford - Prodl/Kaboul/Cathcart

Hull - Maguire/Dawson/Ranocchia

Burnley - Keane/Mee

Not to mention the struggles of Leicester and West Ham defensively.

Yes LR and whoever else deals with transfers have messed up big time, but we should end up mid table by the seasons end and a day out at Wembley where we can all pray to the heavens. LR owes the fans after this and will hopefully make it up in the summer window.

I don't think relegation talk is ridiculous when we've just lost 5 out of 6. Hopefully, we can destroy West Ham on Saturday.