Who and where is the CB?

Saint Garrett

The German fella in Russia is injured until March, that news was uncovered today.

So we are back to square one, all other possible options have gone elsewhere.

Did we really wait until the last day of the window to find that out? Blimey.

The only hope now is that we can sign Martin Caceres now that he's unlikely to go to Palace (due to the fact they've signed Sakho). However, his wage demands are apparently £100k per week, and given out situation would hold the upper hand in negotiations....

And this is ignoring the fact he's unlikely to be anywhere near match fitness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only hope now is that we can sign Martin Caceres now that he's unlikely to go to Palace (due to the fact they've signed Sakho). However, his wage demands are apparently £100k per week, and given out situation would hold the upper hand in negotiations....

And this is ignoring the fact he's unlikely to be anywhere near match fitness..

Well he's played just as much football as sakho this year....

I can only assume that there is a discernible change in company policy and we are now adopting the Kevin Keegan philosophy of football which if you score 3 we will score 4 seeing that our defence is currently weaker than it has been in all the time we have been back in the EPL. Should be fun at least. Oh wait a minute, we are averaging just one goal per game the 4th worst in the league......Gabiadini has to hit the ground running!!! Fuming.

With us playing Man Utd quarter final weekend , we may have a particularly light league schedule the next few weeks. Spurs is 8 weeks after the Leicester game and if VvD's back for that he'll only miss 3 more league games ( if Utd beat Blackburn). He'll obviously miss the final, which is clearly a blow, but maybe we didn't want to be lumbered with an average player on high wages , after overpaying in the window, when Virgil's not missing too many league games. I'm ok with Stephens & Yoshida behind OR , but will be keeping my fingers crossed for the next 2 games. As I'm sure Les Reed will be.

Whichever way i look at it, this is a big recruitment failure, made worse by the fact they've known for several months that Fonte would leave in Jan if they wanted him too. If VVD leaves in the summer we'll have to replace our two main CB's which will be extremely difficult and expensive. I think Reed has kicked himself up the arse here and his previously heralded replacement list of scouted players must have been lost.

The ease with which Swansea punished our lightweight, leaderless defence last night is cause for concern for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue sliding down the league whilst the Club focus on the Cup which we'll go into on the back of poor form.

Shockingly neglectful and impossible to defend, Only hope is VVD not out too long and him and Yoshida stay fit for rest of season.

Having said that if VVD out longer and we get the Stephens who played at Anfield might just ride our luck. I'm just trying to convince myself.

It's not lying as much as hubris and him being a bit of a bull**** ter.

He's basically the football administration equivalent of Jay from the Inbetweeners.

He was too busy fingering a couple of receptionists last night to get a CB in.

Shockingly neglectful and impossible to defend, Only hope is VVD not out too long and him and Yoshida stay fit for rest of season.

Having said that if VVD out longer and we get the Stephens who played at Anfield might just ride our luck. I'm just trying to convince myself.

Yes, we might get away with it if VVD's back in the next couple of weeks but it's at best a massive gamble by the club. (Have the club given an estimated return date btw?) It makes a mockery though of their heralded forward planning where new players are identified light years in advance and seamlessly appear when required.

He was too busy fingering a couple of receptionists last night to get a CB in.

I think he was playing Fantasy Director of Football on his Spectrum and lost track of time. Easily done.

From the OS...Les Reed: "With Jay Rodriguez, Shane Long and Nathan Redmond all in good form..."

From the OS...Les Reed: "With Jay Rodriguez, Shane Long and Nathan Redmond all in good form..."

If he seriously believes that statement alone it says more about the ivory tower Les has built himself and his taking supporters for bloody idiots than anything I have ever seen from him.

I bet we don't see any mention at all of why with out first choice CB pairing leaving or being injured and there being plenty of time to address the issue the club has failed to bring in one single defender on loan even.

Its ridiculous but I hope it means we will be told that Virgil will be back in a couple of weeks. It's the only way they can in part justify what has been a monumental gamble or cock up, take your pick.

Its the first time in the Liebherr era that the club has really screwed up and with this Chinese "partnership" looming you have to wonder just how much of the unknown is behind this very bizarre decision.

The premier league finishing will be crap this year so I really hope we win the league cup and we see Stephens develop into a good CB, otherwise its a BS season by not having a strong 11 that can compete with the top 7/8.

We really did not need another Striker unless Austin is still 2-3 weeks away and Jay Rod has a knock keeping him out for the same sort of time, but what it means now is Sims wont get much playing time as Jay Rod and Long will now along with Tadic and Boufal be used outwide of the attack with Austin, Redmond ( FFS) or Gabbiadini down the middle, I would rather we signed a top CB and kept the current bunch until the summer.

Chris Samba

.....our black box identified Chris as an excellent fit for the club way back in 2015 and we have been running extensive logarithms and data modelling profiles on him since then. Plus we have spoken to four generations of his family to build a conclusive personality

profile so we know that he will blend seamlessly into the culture of the squad precisely as we have planned oh God oh God please sign for us Chris please oh please oh please oh please.

I can't see us getting relegated, maybe getting hammered at the weekend by west ham will change that, as our home form is good - it's just away we've been poor (Double the number of points at home compared to away).

The only way we are getting into Europe is via winning the League Cup - so the league is a bit of a write off.

I would guess they have some CB targets that we couldn't get in the Jan transfer window (Reuben Semedo) and didn't see any point in signing Sakho on Loan till the end of the season for a fee.

We have lacked a goal threat all season and let's hope Gabbiadini can do the business up top - let's be honest if we are going to beat United in the final we are going to need to score more than one!

It's also worth noting united have 7 games in Feb and we have 3 - and we have a 2 week break before the final they have a 3 day break (coming back from an away fix

ture).

Equally gutted about the lack of CB but I suppose we could always see Bertrand cover and McQueen or Targett (when is he due back?) in at left back where we at least have decent options.

Or, as somebody mentioned elsewhere, let's hope Jones is ready if called upon. He is young and inexperienced for a CB but often the best do start young.

Whatever happens Reed has ballsed up. My other half suggested that maybe LR is a fan of these 'alternative facts' when it comes to replacing Fonte.

Equally gutted about the lack of CB but I suppose we could always see Bertrand cover and McQueen or Targett (when is he due back?) in at left back where we at least have decent options.

Let me step in before Target becomes some sort of saviour. He, in my very humble opinion, is not anywhere near premiership standard and very much weakens the side, not strengthens it. Playing Bertrand at CB in a three with McQueen at wing back works for me, especially against the very top sides, but boy will you have fans on here moaning about negative tactics.

At the risk of being over dramatic, could this have cost us a cup win?

For years and years we've listen to how we have tens of players lined up for each position who we have properly scouted and fit in with the 'Southampton Way'.

If this is the case then where is the new defender? Maybe our top target got injured, but if so then we should have had other deals ready to go.

Reed has really f****d up this time and I'm afraid his statement of not selling Fonte without having a replacement lined up will not be forgotten any time soon.

Take away the cup final and nearly everything about this season has seen us going backwards.

On a positive note Boufal looked exciting last night (if maybe a little selfish).

Let me step in before Target becomes some sort of saviour. He, in my very humble opinion, is not anywhere near premiership standard and very much weakens the side, not strengthens it. Playing Bertrand at CB in a three with McQueen at wing back works for me, especially against the very top sides, but boy will you have fans on here moaning about negative tactics.

Wing backs don't necessarily mean defensive but agree it could be perceived that way though was picturing Bertrand as a makeshift CB in a back four.

Respect your opinion on Targett. Though I think he is still developing I think he is decent enough now (especially when you consider it as a back up plan) and both he and McQueen could develop into good players for the first team.

We did seem to accomodate Bertrand and McQueen in the same side last night when we switched to something akin to a 4-2-3-1 with McQueen as a wide player in the 3.

Martin Caceres appears in the Sky team of fre agents, maybe we'll pick someone like this up in the next day or so.

IMO would be a sensible move (assuming wages aren't an issue). Not played in months however neither has Sahko so can't imagine this being too much of an issue.

Would also provide cover at RB as Martina is absolutely sh!te.

to think we are a couple of injuries away from having a back 4 of Martina Stephens Gardos McQueen :scared:

For all the good work we can point to over the past few years, there have been a few monumental f**k ups as well.

I think what the fans get sick of is the constant stream of propaganda of what a brilliantly well run club we are, that everything is meticulously planned, and then we have episodes like Alderweireld (ok, so it worked out with VVD but we still messed up), not signing a striker or a central attacking midfielder in the summer, and now this. It hardly smacks of an organised backroom staff with everything under control.

Wing backs don't necessarily mean defensive but agree it could be perceived that way though was picturing Bertrand as a makeshift CB in a back four.

Respect your opinion on Targett. Though I think he is still developing I think he is decent enough now (especially when you consider it as a back up plan) and both he and McQueen could develop into good players for the first team.

We did seem to accomodate Bertrand and McQueen in the same side last night when we switched to something akin to a 4-2-3-1 with McQueen as a wide player in the 3.

and we looked a progressive outfit when that change was made. Getting Classie off helped though. I'm not sure Bertrand works as a CB in a back four. We are a tiny side already. I would fear for us at every set piece. One thing to consider is that Bertrand never really looks 'happy' in that formation. He is one of ur Crown Jewels and we should be careful not to **** him off. I dare say he still has England aspirations and playing him as a CB hinders his chances of being selected, despite the fact he does a great job in that formation and England would improve if they played it too.

Targett is too slow to ever be a top clas fullback IMO, but as you say he is still developing. Right now he is not the answer. I much prefer McQueen.

and we looked a progressive outfit when that change was made. Getting Classie off helped though. I'm not sure Bertrand works as a CB in a back four. We are a tiny side already. I would fear for us at every set piece. One thing to consider is that Bertrand never really looks 'happy' in that formation. He is one of ur Crown Jewels and we should be careful not to **** him off. I dare say he still has England aspirations and playing him as a CB hinders his chances of being selected, despite the fact he does a great job in that formation and England would improve if they played it too.

Targett is too slow to ever be a top clas fullback IMO, but as you say he is still developing. Right now he is not the answer. I much prefer McQueen.

Agreed on Clasie. Shows flashes with his ability to pick out the occasional top class ball but so rarely does he dictate play or the tempo of a match. Hate to say it but was enviously looking at Leroy Fer last night when he took the ball and drove forward with purpose from CM.

I don't think Bertrand is the best solution, largely for the reasons you say, but I would not be against us using him at CB should it be required. I hope Gardos and Stephens can fill the void but have little faith in Gardos and feel that Stephens is going to be under a heavy burden for such a young lad.

Targett does lack the pace of a Shaw, Bertrand or even McQueen and is unlikely to play the same sort of role of quickly overlapping and directly running at oppo full backs but the lad can cross, reads the game fairly well and can tackle. Understand you say right now he is not the answer (his injury obviously means as much either way!) but we may well find ourselves looking at the 'least worst' options should we have another injury at the back etc.

I'm not sure Bertrand works as a CB in a back four. We are a tiny side already. I would fear for us at every set piece. One thing to consider is that Bertrand never really looks 'happy' in that formation.
Imagine Fellani enjoying set pieces against us, I assume we wil find out how effective our defence is if Carrol plays against us