West Ham Build Up

ALWAYS_SFC

The thing that was really worrying - well I think it´s worrying - is that at corners we have no tall players that can score with a header. Fonte and VvD usually goes up on corder to at least try and score but who will do that job now? seems like corners are waysted and against Swansea they scored on counteratacks since there is no danger at all in the box now.

Did I just hear Puel say Vvd was out for 2-3 months ?

i'm pretty level headed, but that's a monumental **** up not replacing Fonte, they must have known the potential extent of his injury.

I get that it's not as simple as saying "buy him, loan him" etc because it depends on players being available for transfer, players preferences etc but with Sakho going to palace on loan, we know there was at least 1 potential replacement!

After Led Reeds words, that he wouldnt let Fonte go without a replacement in place, it's shocking by the bored. I'm a big fan of Les Reed too!!

It's interesting that Puel also says quite clearly in the presser that they may also look at CB solutions outside the squad - "I hope also we can find other solution(s) of course outside the squad to give more opportunities, more solutions" - which I can only take to mean free agents....

It's interesting that Puel also says quite clearly in the presser that they may also look at CB solutions outside the squad - "I hope also we can find other solution(s) of course outside the squad to give more opportunities, more solutions" - which I can only take to mean free agents....
Any decent ones out there?

After Led Reeds words, that he wouldnt let Fonte go without a replacement in place, it's shocking by the bored. I'm a big fan of Les Reed too!!

Sadly, when it comes to PR statements covering cock-ups Les Reed is learning the arts of alternative facts.

I appreciate the way the club goes about it's recruitment but this cannot be dressed up as anything other that a monumental **** up.

I'd probably be most comfortable with Bertrand and Yoshida which is a sorry state of affairs

I dont understand why it is a cockup it is unfortunate that VVD is injured but getting in any old CB is not a solution

We will just have to grin and bear it and hope for the best- injuries and bad luck happen that is football

If our important players Boufel Austin and VVD get injured we are not going to have a successful season but that said if we finish in the top ten and perform well at Wembley it will be one of our best seasons ever.

I dont understand why it is a cockup it is unfortunate that VVD is injured but getting in any old CB is not a solution

We will just have to grin and bear it and hope for the best- injuries and bad luck happen that is football

If our important players Boufel Austin and VVD get injured we are not going to have a successful season but that said if we finish in the top ten and perform well at Wembley it will be one of our best seasons ever.

That we chose to sell Fonte without replacing him is nothing else but a monumental cock-up.

Up to last night I was concerned but after the way they just collapsed I believe we are in with a very good chance of picking up all three points.

COYS

They conceded 5 against City earlier in the year and yet the next two games they won scoring three goals each time. I don't think the city game will have any impact on the game against us.

We need to get a goal early on IMO. If we fall behind we may as well go home.

I think this is Stephens' chance. He's been on loan and now he needs to grab this opportunity. I think he has good potential, and I hope he steps right up into the consistent premier league CB he has the qualities to become.

I must admit I did have a bit of a wobble when I saw that VVD has been ruled out for up to three months, but we've been in tougher situations than this.

F*ck it, come on Saints. Let's salvage something from this season!

Its not CBs we need to worry about we still have 3 fit ones who can do a job with a decent defensive midfielder in front of them yet we only have one proper DM in the squad we lose Romeu and we really are ****ed..

I think the CB situation is a worry but agree completely about DM. Some of us, you may have been one, recognised this a while ago. If anyone was left in any doubt about the our reliance on OR this would have been dispelled by the debacle against Arsenal when we had no ball winner in midfield. West Ham struggled in that department against City last night. I expect they'll put that right on Saturday and expect Kouyate to play.

I think the CB situation is a worry but agree completely about DM. Some of us, you may have been one, recognised this a while ago. If anyone was left in any doubt about the our reliance on OR this would have been dispelled by the debacle against Arsenal when we had no ball winner in midfield. West Ham struggled in that department against City last night. I expect they'll put that right on Saturday and expect Kouyate to play.

Both defences look a bit dodgy so winning midfield is going to be the key. If we can cut off the supply to Carroll our defence might have a chance same at the other end the likes of Boufal, Sims, Remond or Long Should cause Fonte and Reid all sorts of problems with their pace.

Here's the views from West Ham fans. They're a happy bunch...

Fonte to score from a corner with no celebration as we will already be 3 nil down.

No RB, a very average LB, the slowest, most lackadaisical CM in chrisendom,no LW,five RWs a dazed and confused manager,a pair of owners that are doing their best to revive the Great British comedy double act - What could,possibly go wrong?

we have feck all choices with the dross Sully has given us these 2 windows.

Just set up nicely for their new striker to score a hatrick.

I think a comfortable 3-0 victory for the Saints with Redmond running riot on us. Hope I'm wrong.

Fonte to have a shocker much like Dejan Lovren does whenever he returns to St Marys.

We seem fragile. If Southampton score first I fear the boys will falter.

I seen us play at Southampton 8 times. No wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.

Expecting a loss, Romeo MOTM and it will rain all day....sadly

Who knows which West Ham will turn up on Saturday, but 2 days rest off the back of one of the most embarrassing shows I can remember, it could well be a deflated one.

All Southampton have to do is make a decent effort at using the space available and expose our fullbacks and they could have a good day.

I think this is Stephens' chance. He's been on loan and now he needs to grab this opportunity. I think he has good potential, and I hope he steps right up into the consistent premier league CB he has the qualities to become.

I must admit I did have a bit of a wobble when I saw that VVD has been ruled out for up to three months, but we've been in tougher situations than this.

F*ck it, come on Saints. Let's salvage something from this season!

To be honest, whilst he obviously had a stormer against Liverpool Stephens has looked a quite dodgy - Swansea handball, ridiculous clearance blasted straight into his own player against Arsenal (I honestly cannot ever remember seeing that done before). He may well make it, hope he does, but playing regularly for the first team now could damage him and the thought of it is pretty scary.

To be honest, whilst he obviously had a stormer against Liverpool Stephens has looked a quite dodgy - Swansea handball, ridiculous clearance blasted straight into his own player against Arsenal (I honestly cannot ever remember seeing that done before). He may well make it, hope he does, but playing regularly for the first team now could damage him and the thought of it is pretty scary.

*Just remembered Fox did it, and if that's an indicator of Stephens' level we really are ducked:scared:

So two mistakes, you can think of, in three games makes him dodgy? Most of our CBs make a couple of those sort of **** ups in a game. Look he is young and no VVD (but who is) but he looks a decent prospect and right now we have no choice but to use him so I hope everyone gets behind him and cuts him a bit of slack when he makes the inevitable mistakes a young player just breaking into a PL first team makes.

So two mistakes, you can think of, in three games makes him dodgy? Most of our CBs make a couple of those sort of **** ups in a game. Look he is young and no VVD (but who is) but he looks a decent prospect and right now we have no choice but to use him so I hope everyone gets behind him and cuts him a bit of slack when he makes the inevitable mistakes a young player just breaking into a PL first team makes.

Totally disagree that most of our CBs make a couple of those sort of **** ups in a game. Agree that a young player breaking into the first team is more likely to be more susceptible to making errors which was why I said being forced to play too often too soon could damage him.

Fair play to the lad for having an unbelievable game against Liverpool, but realistically he isn't good enough and shouldn't be anywhere near our first team, let alone starting ffs.

Only experience he has had is in L1 where in fairness he performed. However He couldn't break into the Middlesbrough team last year in the championship and had his loan terminated. Even from the u21 (about championship standard) games I've seen he's never really stood out as someone who will make it at the top level.

I hope he goes on to have a successful career but I can almost gaurentee that won't be at us and will benni higher than the championship.

Very very concerning that he is in line to start the cup final. Ibra must be rubbing his hands together :scared:

Fair play to the lad for having an unbelievable game against Liverpool, but realistically he isn't good enough and shouldn't be anywhere near our first team, let alone starting ffs.

Only experience he has had is in L1 where in fairness he performed. However He couldn't break into the Middlesbrough team last year in the championship and had his loan terminated. Even from the u21 (about championship standard) games I've seen he's never really stood out as someone who will make it at the top level.

I hope he goes on to have a successful career but I can almost gaurentee that won't be at us and will benni higher than the championship.

Very very concerning that he is in line to start the cup final. Ibra must be rubbing his hands together :scared:

Is it fear of losing, or fear of losing heavily so that your non- Saints supporting acquaintances rip the slash out of you that makes you post garbage.

Is it fear of losing, or fear of losing heavily so that your non- Saints supporting acquaintances rip the slash out of you that makes you post garbage.

Bull****, I'm just realistic. From what I've seen he is not good enough. You can't honestly tell me that at the start of the season you'd have been happy if someone was to tell you that we'd rely on yoshida & stephens at CB for the best part of 3 months.

I'd hazard a guess that I'm more of a fan/supporter than you and the majority of your happy clapping pals on here.

I'm surprised people are mentioning that Gabbiadini could start, let alone be on the bench. Isn't there a mandatory stand-down period when new players join the club,

either injured or not match fit? Being sarcastic but there always seems to be something to stop them appearing in the first few games. Hope we do see him straightaway though. Nothing to lose on what we already have on show. It took 70 minutes to show any urgency against Swansea and it was already too late by then.

Interesting that no-one has specifically mentioned the unbelievable ball skills of Boufal. His trickiness is amazing but unfortunately probably wasted in the PL as he will invariably be kicked off the ball before being able to open up a defence and set up chances. He must start though, but I bet he doesn't.

Defeat.

Miss loads of chances and Carroll will score a free header

The laughable saga of this premier league season will continue

Puel out

#puelout #weregoingtowemberly

The utter ridiculousness and fickleness of football fans never ceases to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#puelout #weregoingtowemberly

The utter ridiculousness and fickleness of football fans never ceases to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It`s not fickleness in his case, its his wish, how some fans want us to fail so they can say "i told you so" is both astounding and sad

He has also played quite a few very dodgy passes straight to the opposition (including in the Liverpool game) - perhaps not unlike Yoshida used to do sometimes. He's also redeemed himself being good in the air and have seen him make a few decent runs with the ball. Lets see how he does. He would be the perfect player for a bit of the famed rotation, but being relied upon to be a premier league quality centre back straight away is a massive risk.

If we let West Ham have the ball in good wide positions to get crosses in then Carroll would probably murder us even if Fonte and Van Dijk were playing.

The key tomorrow is to dominate possession and defend aggressively in terms of closing down and maintaining a fairly high line. Then even if Carroll does win all the headers they aren't going to be dangerous.

To that end, I'm not too worried about centre back personnel tomorrow - more about the midfield and wide players getting stuck in properly.

It`s not fickleness in his case, its his wish, how some fans want us to fail so they can say "i told you so" is both astounding and sad

It's more than that. It's boring and makes this forum a really tedious place to come. Sure things could be better result and personnel wise, but I am looking forward to Barry and Boufal tearing it up, Shlong leaving Fonte in his dust, Redmond continuing to improve. JWP maybe scoring another goal from open play (hope that that isn't going to be a twice a season thing). Romeu being dominant. Cedric and Bertrnad skipping down the wings and the CB over coming perceived weaknesses. But hey, that's just me.