What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

I dunno what channel it's on phil, we leach our shows from internet now, i have't watched an actual tv broadcast since 2008. Not hbo tho, it doen't have that hbo thing at the beginning.

I've seen all 10 episodes of the leftovers. I wouldn't say i particularly enjoyed it, but i watched it all the same! If you're hoping to get answers to what the f*ck is going on questions... you're sh*t out of luck!

Recently I have watched Noah which was one of the worse films ever and Inbetweeners 2 which was not too bad really, in fact pretty good.

with regards to Noah tokyos, cos i was thinking bout that earlier, what was good about it was the idea that Noah didn't save all the animals, some of the weird animals like the stone bros and them weird dog things never made the cut and he let them go extinct. This was a new idea for me, I hadn't heard bout this before. This is what I liked about it, I like learning stuff bout things!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a documentary this week on More 4 called: Great Pyramid: Treasures Decoded. The first 45 minutes dealt with the recent discovery of a papyrus written by someone who had actually worked on Khufu's magnificent Great Pyramid at Giza - for 3800 years quite the tallest structure constructed by mankind. A papyrus of this great antiquity is a spectacularly rare find of course so this part of the programme was interesting enough for sure, but truth be told perhaps just a tad dull.

The final segment however did come up with something that really grabed my attention. Imagine the inside of the Great Pyramid if you will and I expect that you like me have assumed that it is a (virtually) solid constructed made of the same stone blocks that can still be seen today on all its external surfaces. Indeed this is the accepted archaeological view of how this pyramid is built - but what if that is wrong?

The programme found a experienced structural engineer who has come up with a theory that claims that no builder would actually go to all the trouble and expense of building such a vast construction out of solid stone blocks. What they would actually would have done (he claims) is make the outer layers of good stone blocks, and then fill the inside of the pyramid with all the rubble and sand this huge stone carving process would have generated. To support this theory he has shown that at least one of the (much smaller) 'Queens Pyramids' that border Khufu's massive monument is apparently built in exactly this way. It is also calculated that to build the Great Pyramid as a solid stone block structure in the time available would have required the workforce to manhandle and carefully position (up huge ramps for which there is no evidence) a heavy stone block every few minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for over 20 years. How plausible is that?

Please remember that this theory is rejected by some noted Egyptolgists and could well be complete bunkum for all I know - as many others like it have been in the past. Nevertheless it is a intriguing idea that deserves further study I think.

I have always maintained this. The interior of the pyramid does not need to be layers of blocks, it's just as easy to build internal supporting walls and fill them with rubble. Much lighter and easier to carry up to the higher levels. Surely some sort of ground-penetration radar operated horizontally might show something? I don't know much about these devices.

I was more than a little impressed with episode 1 of 'The Driver' shown on BBC1 last night.

David Morrissey plays 'Vince' a 40 something Mancunian mini cab driver living on the verge of a mid-life crisis. He hates driving his crappy old cab and dealing with the low pay, long hours and stress that come with that job. His relationships with his wife and children are equally difficult, indeed it looks like he's heading for a divorce or even mental a breakdown perhaps.

Then out of the blue a old mate of his turns up. This friend is just out of prison after serving a long sentence for armed robbery and suddenly the prospect of escaping from this miserable existence he is trapped in and feeling truly alive once again is there before him. But swapping a mini cab for a stolen BMW getaway car is going to drive Vince into the fast lane of life, so this driver soon has to ask himself just how far does he want to go?

I for one will be watching over the next two weeks to find out.

Finished watching Fargo season one. Overall, enjoyed it immensely. Wasn't sure they'd be able to take a relatively tight concept and expand it to series, but they did. Apparently going to be an anthology show like True Detective with a teeny bit more linkage. The next season is rumoured to be set in 1979, events mentioned in the first series.

The good: Martin Freeman, Billy Bob Thornton, Bob Odenkirk - most of the cast, actually. Even Tom Hanks' nipper is alright in this.

The bad: Yes, I know the film did it (with tragic consequences for one person - http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2003/jun/06/artsfeatures1) but do we really have to have the show pretend that it's a true story, every bloody week?

I can't find any good shows to watch, I've seen all the good ones that pap is only just getting round to cos he's such business and having an actual Life :(

I was watching this one show bout a guy with a hot sister, and i was watching it mainly for the hot sister, but then she got outed in the Fappening and now I've seen an actual video of her fingering herself I'm less interested in watching her poncing about with clothes on :(

abigail-spencer-4.jpg

"Hi, my name is Abigail Spencer. I make videos where I'm fingering myself and I save them to iCloud for safe-keeping"

Edited by Bearsy

I can't find any good shows to watch, I've seen all the good ones that pap is only just getting round to cos he's such business and having an actual Life :(

I was watching this one show bout a guy with a hot sister, and i was watching it mainly for the hot sister, but then she got outed in the Fappening and now I've seen an actual video of her fingering herself I'm less interested in watching her poncing about with clothes on :(

abigail-spencer-4.jpg

"Hi, my name is Abigail Spencer. I make videos where I'm fingering myself and I save them to iCloud for safe-keeping"

I've heard good things about The Americans, which is about a Soviet sleeper cell couple living in the US.

Did you ever get around to watching True Blood? Black comedy, violence, world-building and supernatural nooky.

* sigh*

Americans started strong & the two leads is excellent, but somewhere along the line I lost interest and I don't watch it no more.

I tried True Blood also but I couldn't stomach that Sookie bird at any price and I found it the wrong kind of dumb, I mean the kind of dumb where the bros making the show don't know they're being dumb :(

I'm v.hard to please, apparently!

Well, here's something to look forward to Bearsy!

HBO have said that Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn are in Season 2 of True Detective. Apparently it centres around 4 leads - Farrell playing a detective with masters in the criminal underworld and Vaughn is playing a crooked businessman trying to save his skin after his rivals start popping his business partners. The main plot thrust is about organised crime trying to get in on a deal to build a high speed railway through California apparently. Taylor Kitsch and Elisabeth Moss are lined up to play the other 2 leads according to rumours as well.

Pizzolato is finishing off the scripts for S2 now, going into production by the end of next month.

Well, here's something to look forward to Bearsy!

HBO have said that Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn are in Season 2 of True Detective. Apparently it centres around 4 leads - Farrell playing a detective with masters in the criminal underworld and Vaughn is playing a crooked businessman trying to save his skin after his rivals start popping his business partners. The main plot thrust is about organised crime trying to get in on a deal to build a high speed railway through California apparently. Taylor Kitsch and Elisabeth Moss are lined up to play the other 2 leads according to rumours as well.

Pizzolato is finishing off the scripts for S2 now, going into production by the end of next month.

tks Mikey this sounds promise, altho of the four actors mention Elisabeth Moss is the only one I have much time for. Farrell & Vaughn are likeable enough, I spose, but deffo downgrade on McConaghay + Harrellson

I watched a new show, in my hunt for new show to watch! This one is called TYRANT

It's about a white guy called Barry who lives in america with blonde wife + two kids, and works as a paedophile which is apparently good money cos he has v.nice house, but then we learn - OMG - that his dad is a Dictator in arab country called Abo Din which i don't know if it's a real country or not but I'm assuming it is, and this bro Barry has to go back there cos his nephew is getting married!

It's a fun show at first! All the characters are fun + ridiculous and at first it's a bit like Homeland, if Homeland was even more dumb. There is some good bits like when the Dictator is worried that the wife he has selected for his son might not be virgin, so he fingers her and when his fingers come out covered in blood everyone is like, omg *relief*. Also one dude has his knob bit off by a prostitute. But as time goes by you realise it is v.soap opera and you start counting what pap calls TV tropes, we have the Secret Gay, the Rebellious Daughter, the Nagging Wife, the Secretly F*cking My Brother-In-Law etc etc. Overall, it's a lot like Dallas if Dallas was set in Iraq.

I do not recommend this show for bros. Soz.

I'm more than a little impressed with Professor David Reynold's 'Long Shadow' (BBC2 Wednesday) a series that examines the profound and continuing effect the Great War has had on subsequent history. Yesterday's instalment focused on how, in the aftermath of the war, Britain managed to avoid the extremism that engulfed much of Europe during the 1920's and 30's.

Today everyone is familiar with the 'supermen' of last century, dynamic personalities such as Churchill, Mussolini, and Hitler who (for better or worse) did so much to bend history to their own ends. Reynolds argues here - persuasively I might add - that is was in fact self consciously 'ordinary' men who actually saved this country from the political chaos that befall France, or the bloody extremism of Nazi Germany and Stalin's Soviet Union.

So it turns out that the real heroes of our history are men like Stanley Baldwin and Ramsay MacDonald (and even good old King George V) who so skilfully steered Britain towards a path of moderation and consensus politics at a time when other nations were descending into extremism and division. This moderate 'consensus' style lasted from the 1920's, via Atlee's iconic 1945 Labour administration, right up until Maggie Thatcher called time on it in the 1980's.

Then as now perhaps, the irony is that the 'middle of the road' often turns out to be the safest place to walk.

I've caught a couple of brand new shows both riffing on popular DC properties.

First up, Gotham. It's Smallville for the Batman universe, with the pilot episode kicking off with Bruce Wayne's parents being murdered. Essentially, it's a police procedural with slightly nuttier villains and a lot of fan service. There is a young Catwoman, a very good Penguin and quite a bit of Carmine Falcone, the mob boss that was also in Batman Begins. Sean Pertwee plays Alfred Pennyworth, and is clearly going for the Michael Caine take instead of the refined Alfreds of yore. Out of the three episodes I've seen, two have been good and one was a little concerning. Smallville used to have a lot of "freak of the week" episodes, something that Gotham will probably have to do if it's going to fill a 20+ episode season. The only other slight concern is that it's airing on Fox, which isn't known for being the most hospitable incubator for new shows.

The other show is Flash, a CW show set in the same universe as Arrow. Indeed, the character was introduced in Arrow a while back, according to ms pap. They show a bit of the crossover in this show. I've only seen one episode of this, but of the two shows, definitely the "safer" option. Smallville spent nine years having Clark run around like a blue-arsed fly. It's really not going to be difficult to pull this off here. Quite enjoyed the pilot, despite everyone overacting.

Jury is out on both of them right now, but I'll probably watch next week regardless.

both them shows suck, pap! Pls stop watching them shows, it will only encourage them. Be more discernment!

Bah, they're only a couple of episodes in.

Besides, I don't know what happens to this young Bruce Wayne fellow :)

Nah bølløcks Tokes.

C4 has just cancelled Utopia (so bad David Fincher is about to do a US version), which means more shîte like this, My Big Fat Hobo Holiday & 24 Hours in Guildford Civic Centre will be clogging up our schedules.

Fück that man.

A big part of the problem is that it isn't worth watching broadcast telly for scripted shows. Loads of people watch in other ways, such as streaming or torrenting, both better options for many.

Unfortunately, it can leave the impression that viewers are only interested in reality crap.

Yes bear, it was good. The guy is basically an out of work wrestler of something. He is somewhere with loads of weirdos and Paedos, I thinks they call it Birmingham. Anyway, he goes on these forums like the Jonus Bros forum and tries to entrap people pretending to be someone they are not. Then when he does, Brummy Paedo usually send pic of his knob or something. Then hunter uses more pic of young birds and invites them round saying their parents are away and they are sat in a their nightie watching Cbeebies. Paedo loves this and is round like a shot. What he doesn't know is that really it is the 3 guys above. He doesn't beat them up when they are there, just asks them questions on why they are paedo. Then he puts it on the internet, send the info to the police and *spoilers* they get arrested and get suspended sentence. some guy who arrived on foot/bike tried to leg it away. Problem for him was everyone knows paedo hunter is paedo hunter and wanted to kill him.

Worth a watch.

Above is a not so interesting interview with him. Look at facebook stenson hunter for better stuff or 4OD for the actual program.

Nah bølløcks Tokes.

C4 has just cancelled Utopia (so bad David Fincher is about to do a US version), which means more shîte like this, My Big Fat Hobo Holiday & 24 Hours in Guildford Civic Centre will be clogging up our schedules.

Fück that man.

You sound guilty. What's your objection? What you got to hide KRG? What? Come on speak? Why you running away from the camera? Why? Come back! Why?

You sound guilty. What's your objection? What you got to hide KRG? What? Come on speak? Why you running away from the camera? Why? Come back! Why?

Just fed up of this 'reality' junk that is the TV equivalent of clickbait. Cheap crap that is easily churned out with a nice little #mygypsylife to get all the idiots watching 'engaged' online (aka spewing absolute bile).

Just fed up of this 'reality' junk that is the TV equivalent of clickbait. Cheap crap that is easily churned out with a nice little #mygypsylife to get all the idiots watching 'engaged' online (aka spewing absolute bile).

Panel shows.

These are my absolute ichiban programs while having a few drinks and playing FM2014 - only the good ones not my big fat A&E in Spain or anything like that. This one below is another good one that made me laugh.

[video=youtube;FA-Rj_saAB4]

It is about some guys from Glasgow who decided to become WWF wrestlers and make their own wrestling federation.

On similar topic, anyone see those hacked pics? I have the type of friends who keep me regularity updated with this kind of information. It is usually a Russian site with mixed results. Usually I would not know who the naked 'celeb' was if she was dancing in front of me with nothing but her CV to cover her modesty.

Anyway, in the latest way of hacked pics were pics of Maisie Williams (Arya Game of Thrones). I guess this is OK in Russia but I felt bad. I had to make a declaration to that I didn't like this in case Mr. Hunter was looking in on our whatsapp convo.

On similar topic, anyone see those hacked pics? I have the type of friends who keep me regularity updated with this kind of information. It is usually a Russian site with mixed results. Usually I would not know who the naked 'celeb' was if she was dancing in front of me with nothing but her CV to cover her modesty.

Anyway, in the latest way of hacked pics were pics of Maisie Williams (Arya Game of Thrones). I guess this is OK in Russia but I felt bad. I had to make a declaration to that I didn't like this in case Mr. Hunter was looking in on our whatsapp convo.

I broke TMS last time I got into this. So, I'm going to refrain. Basically, KRG = Feminazi and v disapproving.

The most thing I am disproving of is that I don't know who they are. It is worse that Celebrity big brother. If they are going to post their naked pics online for our entertainment, they should be made to put a link to their IMBD as well. I mean Jennifer Lawrence is ok but it must have been a job for the hacker to know who half the others were in order to hack them.

I'm sort of with KRG i was lols at the Fappening at first, but now i feel bad for the birds and i would rather it hadn't happened :( I mean still send me those pics of the little boy from game of thrones, obviously, but i won't enjoy looking at them and if i ever bump into him or whatever i won't mention that i have seen them i will be preux chevalier

Some stuff I've seen this week:

Cosmonauts: How Russia Won the Space Race (BBC4 Monday)

A valuable reminder (if one were needed) of how the USSR managed to beat the USA into space with a series of important 'firsts' - from Sputnik to Yuri Gagarin via Liaka the space dog. Apparently because the first Soviet nuclear bombs were so very heavy a extremely powerful rocket was required to lift the bloody things - which in turn coincidently led to the early Soviet lead in Space. A 'must see' I would think for anyone at all interested in space exploration.

Guy Martin's Spitfire (C4 Sunday)

A mildly informative 90 minute programme about the restoration of a super rare Mk1 Supermarine Spitfire that might well have been made into a series I thought. Despite the misleading title Martin's contribution to this project is obviously minimal, for that matter how you go about 'restoring' a aircraft while using few (if any) of the original parts is also something of a mystery.

Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius 1976 (DVD)

A fun pastiche on the classic Frankenstein story set on the planet 'Karn' where the 4th Doctor and Sarah Jane find themselves guests of the sinister Doctor Solon (Philip Madoc) who has a mad plan to re-embody the brain of the heretic Time Lord 'Morbius' using assorted salvaged body parts and Tom Baker's (big) head. Solon is supposed to be a genius surgeon but methinks it's fair to say the result of his efforts is not exactly a pretty sight ... oh and Sci-Fi nerds might like to know that the name 'Morbius' is taken from Forbidden Planet.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I know its a bit like the TV equivalent of Marmite - you either love it or hate it - but I've been watching repeats of Victoria Wood's situation comedy 'Dinnerladies' on Freeview recently and I can't deny that I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp. Sometimes you can find yourself watching a complete sit-com series and at the end of it you'd honestly struggle to remember a single genuine 'laugh out loud' moment from hours of programming. Not so with Dinnerladies because VW makes sure that they come thick and fast - and all without you will note resorting to the US practice of employing whole teams of hired gag writers to do it.

Wood's 'bren' character is of course central to the plot, but I think the real secret of her success is that not only is she an exceptionally gifted comedy writer and actor, she is also a selflessly generous one too because our Victoria freely gives away many of her best lines to the rest of the ensemble cast she has recruited around her. She must be a dream for any actor to work with and it's no surprise to see so many have chosen to do so time and time again. Both outrageously funny and deeply humane and perceptive too Dinnerladies is surely a comedy masterclass that will stand the test of time just as 'Fawlty Towers' or 'Fools & Horses' has - I think it really is that good.

I caught about ten minutes of Jennifer Ellison's new reality dance show Dance Mums before leaving the room in a state of near-madness. Two of my family were watching it. I could not. Essentially, it's a show presented by a gobby scouse woman and populated by pushy scouse dance mums.

I am interested whether people who do not have a scouse missus enjoy it, but for me, it was too much. Much too much.

[video=youtube;-DBG4T0HFeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBG4T0HFeo

Eeerm, isn't she, like, 12 years old?

Here is updates for bros:

The Affair is 2 episodes in & I find it v.interesting. What it does is show the same story from 2 different people's perspective so you can see what is different.

Forever is like 4 episodes in & it's bad, but not quite bad for me to tap out of yet. It's bout a bro who can't die, which is good situation, but they give it a twist that when he dies he wakes up naked in river, which is dumb situation.

All other shows is bad.

I have watched both episodes of the Walking Dead. Interesting start to what looks like is going to be a wandering season. Last time out, Rick and company were holed up in a railway carriage, held captive by some people who advertise themselves as a safe haven, then get around to (ahem) assimilating the newcomers. They're not nice. Episode one stands out for the general badassery of Carol, one of season one's few remaining survivors. She had a hugely strong arc in the last season, becoming something of the embodiment of the ends justifying the means. She really does kick arse in this episode.

Second episode is a bit slower, but has a bit of a shocking reveal at the end. It'll put you off your tea.

On to series 5 of Love/Hate - an Irish series based on gangland Dublin. Hasn't made an impact over here at all (I think the first series was shown on 5) but it's brilliant TV. Would recommend anyone to go out and get the box set of 1-4 and not be gripped.

I have watched both episodes of the Walking Dead. Interesting start to what looks like is going to be a wandering season. Last time out, Rick and company were holed up in a railway carriage, held captive by some people who advertise themselves as a safe haven, then get around to (ahem) assimilating the newcomers. They're not nice. Episode one stands out for the general badassery of Carol, one of season one's few remaining survivors. She had a hugely strong arc in the last season, becoming something of the embodiment of the ends justifying the means. She really does kick arse in this episode.

Second episode is a bit slower, but has a bit of a shocking reveal at the end. It'll put you off your tea.

I enjoy the slowness. It builds the atmosphere, raises character development and to be fair if this was happening there would be plenty of times when nothing of note was going on. Would be different if they were in the city but they're in the middle of nowhere.

Episode 3 was brutal.

For me it's hands down the best series on tv now and one of the best ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more TV I've been watching recently:

The Passing Bells (BBC1)

A story of the doomed generation (both British and German) who were destined for sacrifice during the Great War. It seems churlish to criticise a series of such noble ambition, but this sort of thing has been done so many times now that it's becoming increasingly hard to say anything new. This series also lacked the budget to convincingly convey the epic scale of the war and its pre-watershed time slot meant that the true nature of the bloody violence inflicted on Human bodies during combat had to be toned down significantly. Judge for yourself whether that is a good or a bad thing.

As for soldiers peacefully strolling around 'no mans land' (in broad daylight!) contemplating the meaning of life during the Battle of the Somme ... well that really is a utter nonsense.

Hawaii Five-O (CBS Action)

Apart from its exotic location this is in truth a fairly routine 1970's police procedural that I watch for purely nostalgic reasons. However it does boast what is surely the greatest title sequence ever shown on TV ... and how the preternaturally cool 'Steve McGarrett' (Jack Lord) can afford such a endless array of expensively tailored suites on a coppers wage is a enduring mystery.

Book him Danno!

Not Going Out / Would I lie to You? (BBC)

I really like and admire Lee Mack, on 'WILTY' he (and David Mitchell) are bloody brilliant. However, it seems to me that being such a obviously gifted standup comedian and panel game contributor does not necessarily mean that he must then also be a equally good sit-com actor. 'Not Going Out' just doesn't work for me as not only do these US style team written 'one liner' shows not really work over here (see the awful 'My Family') but Mack comes across as a bit of a Mackerel - IE a fish out of water.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Glue. Thought it was pretty good. Interesting to see a UK drama about young adults set in the countryside. Had it's moments of dodgy acting and some of the scenes around the horse racing were slightly shoddily done but overall it was a decent series with some great lines and kept the intrigue up to the end.

Now starting series 2 of Utopia.

• 3 weeks later...

While surfing YouTube the other day by pure chance I came across this half remembered four part series from way back in 1981 - The Nightmare Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbzmyDZEnQ

Okay it's not great TV by any means and the ending is disappointingly banal, but by the standards of the day this was a pretty effective chiller and it still has its moments.

PS - if this series reminds you somewhat you of a 80's Doctor Who story without Tom Baker actually making an appearance this is no coincidence because the both script writer (Robert Holmes) and the Director (Douglas Camfield) were both 'Who' regulars back in the day.