Top Pressing

magnet

I can believe that.

Our front players and midfield clearly work very hard without the ball. This pressing however, as with our time under Pochettino does leave us in a position where the opposition are pushed back, limiting space for us when attacking.

Saying that, we are still making chances! Once/If we start converting....

Pressing is a strange tactic. You may win the ball higher up the field , but the space between the lines is minimal with the opposition getting men behind the ball in a reduced and therefore congested area. It also suits defending opponents like Leicester last year, or Chelsea at St Marys this season , hitting us on the break.

Hard to believe but apparently were the joint 4th in top pressing teams according to this article.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/762674/Premier-League-stats-pressing-teams-Premier-League-ranked-sportgalleries

The only thing you can take from that article is that there is so little difference between any of the teams (except possibly Liverpool) that it is statistically meaningless. You cannot take from that that any team does it any better or any worse than any other. Range 51/7 to 56/10 is nothing.

you can see with your very own eyes how different we are under the last three managers. We don't press at all under Puel (except the Liverpool home cup game for some reason).

No we do press but in general we now only do it in own half (unlike poch who liked to press high) we seem content to sit in shape and let the other team have the ball until they cross the halfway line then we press. I guess that is because Puel wants to draw the other team out to leave space for a counter attack. We have pressed all over the pitch at times though first 15mins against spurs and second half against Bournemouth come to mind.

Edited by doddisalegend

No we do press but in general we now only do it in own half (unlike poch who liked to prees high) we seem content to sit in shape and let the other team have the ball until they cross the halfway line then we press. I guess that is because Puel wants to draw the other team out to leave space for a counter attack. We have pressed all over the pitch at times though first 15mins against spurs and second half against Bournemouth come to mind.

Exactly

No we do press but in general we now only do it in own half (unlike poch who liked to press high) we seem content to sit in shape and let the other team have the ball until they cross the halfway line then we press. I guess that is because Puel wants to draw the other team out to leave space for a counter attack. We have pressed all over the pitch at times though first 15mins against spurs and second half against Bournemouth come to mind.

Except that when the counter attack is on, more often than not we pass the ball backwards or sideways and allow the opposition time to set up defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that when the counter attack is on, more often than not we pass the ball backwards or sideways and allow the opposition time to set up defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not arguing that our counter attacking doesn't need working on but it doesn't change the fact that we do press just much further back on the pitch than we did under Poch.

At what point does pressing in your own half just become plain old defending? Wasn't the whole novelty of pressing as popularised by Bielsa, Pep & Poch that it takes place high in the opposition half?

http://www.soccer-coaches.com/introduction-of-pressing-in-soccer/

Types of Pressing

The field can be divided into three zones.

If Pressing is applied in the opponent’s half or close to the opponent’s goal, it is called High-Pressure or Forechecking. This is a hockey term where player apply pressure in the attacking third.

If a team drops into its own half to defend, this is called Low-Pressure.

The most common type of Pressing is Midfield Pressing. Pressing is applied in the area of 15m distance from halfway line in both the opponent’s half and the team’s own half.

I didn't think we pressed very much under Koeman.

It's the old "last season revisionism" back to haunt us.

Last season:

Long balls to Pellè = Exhilarating quick passing football

Pellè chasing down a defender without any support from other players = High team pressing

Most headed goals in the league = tiki taka

http://www.soccer-coaches.com/introduction-of-pressing-in-soccer/

Types of Pressing

The field can be divided into three zones.

If Pressing is applied in the opponent’s half or close to the opponent’s goal, it is called High-Pressure or Forechecking. This is a hockey term where player apply pressure in the attacking third.

If a team drops into its own half to defend, this is called Low-Pressure.

The most common type of Pressing is Midfield Pressing. Pressing is applied in the area of 15m distance from halfway line in both the opponent’s half and the team’s own half.

Low-pressure pressing sounds a touch contradictory, n'est pas?

It's funny how the games changed over the last few years. Even watching local stuff sides are pressing. I played with a few expros and they used to tell us to let the centre halfs have the ball and concentrate on stopping the full backs bringing the ball out from the back . Ball playing centre halves now mean you can't do that . The other thing I've noticed in the game is forwards now seem to be resting when their own side have the ball, rather than when the opposition have it. They don't make runs into the channels as much , and are pretty static whilst the back four fanny around with it. The work rate comes when they're trying to get the ball back