Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 88

Thread: Forster and Davis

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The 4th incarnation of me
    Posts
    4,085

    Default Forster and Davis

    Davis is literally the most overrated player in our history. Everyone bangs on about how "underrated" he is, which doesn't even make any sense when you think about it. But he's dreadful. Would probably be a good player for a bottom 5 team but not us. This hasn't been brought on by the own goal, that wasn't his fault tbf but he constantly gives the ball away. Offers nothing going forward and nothing going back but once every 5 games he puts in an "okay" performance...At best "Quite good". I like him as a person but effort only takes you so far.

    Forster is the worst keeper in the PL. Can't save anything lower than his shoulder and every now and again a shot just happens to get fired at him which goes against his face or something, from close up, meaning it's a "Good save". He can't catch a cold, has he EVER come out and stopped a one on one?! Dreadful, dreadful keeper.

    Something's got to give here. I don't know if I'm anti Puel or anti Reed or both or neither I'm just so ****ing angry. Something has to change.

  2. #2

    Default

    Hassan might be match fit for sunderland to replace forster.

    Just think Davis and JWP arent good defenders and arent good attackers.

    They are not good at 1 and **** at the other, they are average at both

  3. #3

    Default

    Davis and Forster were both poor today - JWP was just as ineffective in midfield as Davis. There will be criticism of our CBs, but they weren't actually that bad and Stephens showed a lot of composure on the ball.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Forster for me is the biggest issue. As others have said JWP and Davis should not play together!

  5. #5

    Default

    When is Hassen ready? Forster has cost us so many points this season.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Funny how opinion of him is changed now a lot of people have seen him without the magnificent protection he was afforded in recent seasons from our defence and midfield.

    It's not a confidence issue, he's just genuinely very limited and cannot do a lot of the basics lower league keepers can do.

  7. Default

    Forster is trash. I'd play myself over him.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Davis is literally the most overrated player in our history. Everyone bangs on about how "underrated" he is, which doesn't even make any sense when you think about it. But he's dreadful. Would probably be a good player for a bottom 5 team but not us. This hasn't been brought on by the own goal, that wasn't his fault tbf but he constantly gives the ball away. Offers nothing going forward and nothing going back but once every 5 games he puts in an "okay" performance...At best "Quite good". I like him as a person but effort only takes you so far.

    Forster is the worst keeper in the PL. Can't save anything lower than his shoulder and every now and again a shot just happens to get fired at him which goes against his face or something, from close up, meaning it's a "Good save". He can't catch a cold, has he EVER come out and stopped a one on one?! Dreadful, dreadful keeper.

    Something's got to give here. I don't know if I'm anti Puel or anti Reed or both or neither I'm just so ****ing angry. Something has to change.
    Sadly I have to say you are probably right about Forster. I have absolutely zero confidence in the bloke.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,638

    Default

    Both very good players who are presently just going through a crisis of confidence. Professional sport is largely about both ability and confidence - both have the ability, unfortunately, at present confidence is low.

  10. #10

    Default

    Why wasn't Hassen on the bench. Taylor isn't trusted for any game so why was he named again??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Davis is a cracking player but he's been really poor recently. Looked far more comfortable in our 4-2-3-1.

  12. Default

    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble
    In which league and what position in that league would you rate Forster at?

  14. #14

    Default

    I thought Davis was decent today in his overall play. Unfortunately he plays as the most attacking central midfielder and is shocking at shooting. Would make such a difference if he could relied on for at least 5 goals a season. Unfortunately JWP seems like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets in front of goal and Hojbjerg makes Davis look like Aguero!

  15. #15

    Default

    What the hell has happened to Fraser? Yet another game where his kit won't need washing, he brings nothing to the team. Getting really fed up with other teams keepers putting in performance after performance week after week, doing what I they're paid to do, and Fraser conceding pretty much everything on target. Time for a change

  16. #16

    Default

    I think FF coming back after that long injury layoff and keeping so many clean sheets in a row clouded the fact that he's not actually a great keeper - only that Arsenal away match last season do I remember him having a really good game. It's a shame that McCarthy got injured as he would probably be our Number 1 by now.

  17. Default

    OP's comments are over the top, of course, but if McCarthy was fit, I'd be screaming for him to replace Forster. Forster will still be out No.1 next season though...despite the fact he's never recovered from that clanger against Villa/Agbonlahor all those years ago (in terms of being active off his line).

    Davis is lower to midtable quality. However, for all his years as an AM here, he never scored enough....and it's quite obvious why. But he was competent there. I never considered him good enough to be part of a 2DM/CM set up, as he has been employed on a few occasions in past seasons, but figured some of his weaknesses would be offset by numbers/3CM system. I'm starting to doubt that's going to be the case. I don't think he's been attrocious, but as his defensively responsibilities have increased (=bad), and his attacking responsibilities have decreased (due to slower build-up play (he was always good for an incisive pass) and position on pitch), he hasn't exactly shone.
    Last edited by Donatello; 04-02-2017 at 07:29 PM.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble
    Agreed, Davis at times is quality for us. Forster on the other hand....

  19. #19

    Default

    Forster just doesn't do the basics of goalkeeping correctly. He's gone backwards very quickly. Needs to be dropped ASAP.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble
    Just about sums it up - and, much how many don't like it, we are exactly that - a decent mid table premier league team.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    I think at his best we are his level. He has had a really bad season to be fair, he also has no competition - the club made this clear from day 1 & that is dangerous imo.

    Our current options are embarrassing. McCarthy Palace 3rd choice, Hassen 3rd choice at nice, Harry Lewis average at U23 level & Stuart Taylor has played a wopping 5 games since 2013!

  22. Default

    I seem to be in a minority about Foster.

    Ok he has not been in the same form at previously but I cant see how he can be blamed for the 3 goals today

    Davis has been an excellent signing for us for the money.

    By no means was he the worst performer today.

    He needs the right formation to fit into which may be the overall problem with the current team

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    9,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazza View Post
    Davis is a cracking player but he's been really poor recently. Looked far more comfortable in our 4-2-3-1.
    Agreed - people seem to judge his overall contribution purely on his erratic shooting. JWP is more deserving, currently, of the 'overrated' tag.

  24. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Agreed - people seem to judge his overall contribution purely on his erratic shooting. JWP is more deserving, currently, of the 'overrated' tag.
    Except Prowse get absolutely hammered on here, second only to Martina.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Just about sums it up - and, much how many don't like it, we are exactly that - a decent mid table premier league team.
    Isn't it funny how NO other player, but NO other player gets this defence whenever he has a bad game?

    The line that "after-all-we're-only-little-old-Southampton-and-we-can't-possibly-expect-better-than-Steven-Davis-can-we"?

    OP's point massively proven.

  26. Default

    Davis hasn't been great this season but he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for three years as we became a European team. There's a reason, even if he's not showing it now.

  27. #27

    Default

    Both players are decent players but their confidence is shot - tell me one player other than Romeu who is playing well. Long, Jrod, JWP, tadic are also playing poorly, bertie and cedric are shadows of the players they were last year. Is is a coincidence that all the players are playing poorly or is it the crap tactics, formation, poor motivation and crap manager that are the problem

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Petworth
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    What the hell has happened to Fraser? Yet another game where his kit won't need washing, he brings nothing to the team. Getting really fed up with other teams keepers putting in performance after performance week after week, doing what I they're paid to do, and Fraser conceding pretty much everything on target. Time for a change
    He has lost confidence because of all the changes in front of him. All keepers like a settled back four!

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    9,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    OP's point massively proven.
    B0ll0x.
    Steven Davis is quite plainly not 'literally' the most overrated Saints player in our history.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Oxfordshire
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Think Fontes been telling his new team mates to keep most of the shots low today.

  31. Default

    Davis has been a key player for the last 4 years, it's crazy to say he was ever over rated. But for some reason there are a few who have some sort of anti-davis agenda.

    But he's a position we now need to evolve with a forward thinking midfielder (a Sigurdson type).

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wheelsucking at the back of the group!
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    B0ll0x.
    Steven Davis is quite plainly not 'literally' the most overrated Saints player in our history.
    Neil McCann't anyone?

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Davis has been a key player for the last 4 years, it's crazy to say he was ever over rated. But for some reason there are a few who have some sort of anti-davis agenda.

    But he's a position we now need to evolve with a forward thinking midfielder (a Sigurdson type).
    This. He's a good player to have in the squad but shouldn't be first choice any more. The midfield needs a HUGE overhaul in the summer IMO, as that is where we have been weak all season. Reed should spend a season on loan somewhere playing week in week out, Clasie should be sold and I think JWP should go as well. We need some pace and power in there.

    Forster has been abysmal all season. A dreadful keeper. I just hope Hassen was bought in to genuinely challenge him and not just be back up whilst McCarthy is injured

  34. Default

    Heard from a very good source a few weeks ago that Forster "was 90% likely to leave" either last summer or the January just gone.

    It would explain as to why he doesn't look like he is 100% at it- he's played this season almost as if he has gone through the motions.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    Heard from a very good source a few weeks ago that Forster "was 90% likely to leave" either last summer or the January just gone.

    It would explain as to why he doesn't look like he is 100% at it- he's played this season almost as if he has gone through the motions.
    Why does he want to leave?

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Davo is a decent mid table premier league player. The OP is a cock womble
    The fact that you identify with him so much that you call him 'Davo' suggests you're probably not all that objective a judge of his ability. He's a mediocre premier league midfielder who excels at nothing. Always has been. The only odd thing about him is that so many Saints fans have spent so long insisting that he's more than that, despite the utter absence of evidence.

  37. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Why does he want to leave?
    That I don't know.. I'd presume that talk of higher wages or potential European football on offer from another club would entice him. I don't know whether there is any interest in him, only that he was linked heavily to Everton in the press (that presumably has to come from somewhere).

    The goalies seem a pretty tense subject at the moment. Considering Dave Watson was basically in charge of scouting and choosing goalkeepers, the fact that Mouez Hassan seems to be Puel's choice seems to be a big change.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    Isn't it funny how NO other player, but NO other player gets this defence whenever he has a bad game?

    The line that "after-all-we're-only-little-old-Southampton-and-we-can't-possibly-expect-better-than-Steven-Davis-can-we"?

    OP's point massively proven.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean - I would say the same about all of our players. I don't think that we have any really bad players, and other than VVD, we have no real top players - the players are what they are, good decent professionals and we are a mid table prem team. If you call that 'little-old-Southampton', fine but making the transition from mid-table to higher is very, very difficult as many teams have found out to their cost. Therefore, my expectations are realistic.

    OP's point not at all (massively - lol) proven. Reality creeps in.

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    Heard from a very good source a few weeks ago that Forster "was 90% likely to leave" either last summer or the January just gone.

    It would explain as to why he doesn't look like he is 100% at it- he's played this season almost as if he has gone through the motions.
    Can't have been that good a source - he hasn't left.

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    Heard from a very good source a few weeks ago that Forster "was 90% likely to leave" either last summer or the January just gone.

    It would explain as to why he doesn't look like he is 100% at it- he's played this season almost as if he has gone through the motions.
    Can't imagine there'll be many takers lining up for him.

  41. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    That I don't know.. I'd presume that talk of higher wages or potential European football on offer from another club would entice him. I don't know whether there is any interest in him, only that he was linked heavily to Everton in the press (that presumably has to come from somewhere).

    The goalies seem a pretty tense subject at the moment. Considering Dave Watson was basically in charge of scouting and choosing goalkeepers, the fact that Mouez Hassan seems to be Puel's choice seems to be a big change.
    I'm holding out hope Koeman and Everton are stupid enough to come in for him this summer. Anything over what we paid for him should be taken. He's a very poor keeper

  42. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Can't have been that good a source - he hasn't left.
    Can take it or leave it as you please. But the info came from someone who knows Fraser very well. Whether you choose to dismiss it is your prerogative.

  43. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    The fact that you identify with him so much that you call him 'Davo' suggests you're probably not all that objective a judge of his ability. He's a mediocre premier league midfielder who excels at nothing. Always has been. The only odd thing about him is that so many Saints fans have spent so long insisting that he's more than that, despite the utter absence of evidence.
    That's crap Verlaine; you're absolutely locked into your position of Davis as "mediocre" but there has been plenty of evidence in the past 4 seasons that he is a very good attacking midfielder. As S-Clarke points out, the Club is at a point where players like Davis need to be transitioned towards a more part time role with new talent brought in to bolster what is becoming a very average midfield. You might turn your attention to whether the Club is going to bite the bullet and look at replacements for Clasie and Ward-Prowse who are clearly part of the midfield problem. While you're at it you might be able to come up with ideas to resurrect the early promise Hojbjerg showed. And one last thing - calling Steven Davis "Davo" has got nothing to do with lack of objectivity of the player's contributions in the same way that some posters call JWP "Prowsey".

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    FF appeared slow in getting down for WH second goal. He must have let in more goals from 30 yds than any other in the Premier League.

  45. #45

    Default

    I'm not FF biggest fan but whilst the 2nd was close to him it was in the corner, the other 2 he had no chance with. Get some perspective here

  46. Default

    [QUOTE=Donatello;2459457]OP's comments are over the top, of course, but if McCarthy was fit, I'd be screaming for him to replace Forster. Forster will still be out No.1 next season though...despite the fact he's never recovered from that clanger against Villa/Agbonlahor all those years ago (in terms of being active off his line

    Totally agree that Villa game showed his hesitancy and his subsequent all round game has been quite poor since. I know being a keeper is a thankless task in many ways as your mistakes are there for all to see and can cost a team a game but poor Lewis the other week against Arsenal made a poor decision for their second goal so you begin to wonder what on earth is Dave Watson doing in his training sessions every week?

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,184

    Default Forster and Davis

    Davis: great servant, reliable, high-end journeyman.

    Forster: more tricky to analyse. When he was laid off with injury we leaked goals and points. We clamoured for his return and when he did we had one of the top 4 defences in Europe. We then cleverly sold first the defensive midfield screen and more recently the defence itself. Fraser is now woefully unprotected and is unhappy. Result - form and record in tatters.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,570

    Default

    The difference between Whams keeper and ours yesterday was pretty marked. Their keeper made three decent saves ours spent most of the game doing the mannequin challenge. He just doesn't seem to move spending most of the time just glued to his line I don't think he even attempted to save any of West Hams three goals yesterday. A keeper his size should be commanding the box but his doesn't even do that. His kicking has been ****e this season to. I wouldn't be to bothered to see him go in the summer there must be better more mobile keepers available out there.

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The 4th incarnation of me
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    I'll be honest, this thread from me was a slight overreaction but only slight. Last night I was more angry than I have been (Saints wise) since the pre Leibherr days. However I stand by 90% of it.

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    28,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    Hassan might be match fit for sunderland to replace forster.

    Just think Davis and JWP arent good defenders and arent good attackers.

    They are not good at 1 and **** at the other, they are average at both
    From the little I've heard or read about Hassen him replacing Forster at any time soon, barring injury of course, is not about to happen. He was cast aside at Nice for a reason.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •