Boufal

spyinthesky

Astounding the amount of people who don't rate him, he's ridiculously talented

Talented yes. But also seems brittle.

Plays in a way that gets him kicked a lot - all of his injuries so far have been from contact, not "being brittle".

Utter comedy the way people don't see what he can offer (and already has offered), and that he has a workrate including defensively, not to mention the absolute rubbish being spouted about "running it off", knowing he was injured immediately and "not wanting to play in a rubbish team". Absolute, utter nonsense.

FWIW Van Dijk stayed on because he knew he was essential, effectively irreplaceable - and who knows how many extra weeks out those couple of minutes cost him and us? Anyone knows when they've got an injury and can't continue, the fact he knew immediately was a good thing, not bad.

He does look like he'll be excellent playing in home games in the #10 role, knows how to play a pass, does sometimes hold it slightly too long but still has good awareness despite that - probably not defensively-minded enough to play there in away games though - except against the likes of Swansea apparently!

Plays in a way that gets him kicked a lot - all of his injuries so far have been from contact, not "being brittle".

Utter comedy the way people don't see what he can offer (and already has offered), and that he has a workrate including defensively, not to mention the absolute rubbish being spouted about "running it off", knowing he was injured immediately and "not wanting to play in a rubbish team". Absolute, utter nonsense.

FWIW Van Dijk stayed on because he knew he was essential, effectively irreplaceable - and who knows how many extra weeks out those couple of minutes cost him and us? Anyone knows when they've got an injury and can't continue, the fact he knew immediately was a good thing, not bad.

He does look like he'll be excellent playing in home games in the #10 role, knows how to play a pass, does sometimes hold it slightly too long but still has good awareness despite that - probably not defensively-minded enough to play there in away games though - except against the likes of Swansea apparently!

Boufal is class.

Literally Class.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of fans who know next to nothing about the game - just like with Mane and JWP, fans write of our players far far far to early... And besides all that, watching Boufal is one of the greatest joys you can get as a saints fan this season.... The quickness of his feet and ability with the ball are simply the best I've seen in a very long time, he makes Lallana and Tadic look like a donkeys at times and is easily one of the best since Le tissier, if not the best since him.

Boufal is class.

Literally Class.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of fans who know next to nothing about the game - just like with Mane and JWP, fans write of our players far far far to early... And besides all that, watching Boufal is one of the greatest joys you can get as a saints fan this season.... The quickness of his feet and ability with the ball are simply the best I've seen in a very long time, he makes Lallana and Tadic look like a donkeys at times and is easily one of the best since Le tissier, if not the best since him.

Was having a discussion at half time on Sat with mates. We've all been going for many years and they all said that he was lightweight, lazy, couldn't pass, couldn't dribble and so on. I think he is a fantastic talent and will be a special player for us.

Time will tell...

Boufal is class.

Literally Class.

A modern day Lee Trundle ;)

I'll put it out there, Boufal is probably one of the best players Southampton has had and am willing to eat humble pie if he doesn't prove this by end of next season. The guy just needs consistent games, but from what we have seen this guy literally has to be one of the best dribblers out there at the moment, the ball sticks to him like glue. He just needs to put decision making rather than show boating into his game and he could well and truly be up there with the best, just pure talent and fantastic to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have only seen flashes of it and I think I've seen him in every home game he's played, he really needs a run of games without wimping out though.

What are you accusing him of "wimping out" of? It isn't Boufal's fault many opponents see the only way to stop him being to hack him down, that is how he picks up injuries. I've also seen him accused of lacking workrate, when he is actually very effective at tackling back and winning the ball.

What are you accusing him of "wimping out" of? It isn't Boufal's fault many opponents see the only way to stop him being to hack him down, that is how he picks up injuries. I've also seen him accused of lacking workrate, when he is actually very effective at tackling back and winning the ball.
OK, maybe not wimping out but he seems pretty fragile. Other players can go 50 games without an injury but Boufal seems to struggle with 5.

Was having a discussion at half time on Sat with mates. We've all been going for many years and they all said that he was lightweight, lazy, couldn't pass, couldn't dribble and so on. I think he is a fantastic talent and will be a special player for us.

Time will tell...

Accusations which always seem to get levelled against foreign players relatively quickly..... just saying.

I agree with you on his effort, I have been very impressed with how often I see someone come out of nowhere to knick the ball back and see it's Boufal

Boufal is class.

Literally Class.

Must of missed those JWP playing like Boufal and Mane games

OK, maybe not wimping out but he seems pretty fragile. Other players can go 50 games without an injury but Boufal seems to struggle with 5.

My thoughts after seeing him have another injury were exactly that. But then I did a quick look-see at his appearances over the last 3 or 4 years and he indeed plays a fair amount of games. Maybe he's just been a little unlucky whilst with us.

I'll put it out there, Boufal is probably one of the best players Southampton has had and am willing to eat humble pie if he doesn't prove this by end of next season. The guy just needs consistent games, but from what we have seen this guy literally has to be one of the best dribblers out there at the moment, the ball sticks to him like glue. He just needs to put decision making rather than show boating into his game and he could well and truly be up there with the best, just pure talent and fantastic to watch.

Agree with this. Not many better than him with the ball at his feet, reminds me of Hazard when he has the ball....obviously nowhere near as good just before certain posters pipe up....!

Sadly for us Sofiane Boufal has all the hallmarks of developing into an outstanding player of world class. He seems to be one of those rare talents that can genuinely change a game. I guess we'll see him for this season and next before the inevitable exit to Chelsea or Arsenal.

i guess thats the plan though currently - rightly or wrongly we get to see him here for two years because hes as good as been promised he will move on. Nice in the short term, guting in the medium term, not sure in the long term.

Sadly for us Sofiane Boufal has all the hallmarks of developing into an outstanding player of world class. He seems to be one of those rare talents that can genuinely change a game. I guess we'll see him for this season and next before the inevitable exit to Chelsea or Arsenal.

Yes it's ever so sad we'll have someone capabale of being world class playing for us. Would you rather he's **** and not wanted by anyone? Players developing into world class means good performances for us, it means results for us and it means we're much more likely to attract other players capable of turning into world class (Why do you think these players want to play for us) and all the while decreasing the number of clubs players will leave us for. So sad :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The time to judge him is next season

Give him a full preseason, keep him fit and let's see how he does next season. He's clearly got talent, he has struggled with injury (I know we bought him crocked - always a slight risk), but he keeps getting crocked, so if he can keep injury free, if he can enjoy a decent preseason, then we will have a decent idea about him. But not after a 20 minute cameo against a quality team today...

But I don't suppose there is much room for common sense in football...

The time to judge him is next season ��

Give him a full preseason, keep him fit and let's see how he does next season. He's clearly got talent, he has struggled with injury (I know we bought him crocked - always a slight risk), but he keeps getting crocked, so if he can keep injury free, if he can enjoy a decent preseason, then we will have a decent idea about him. But not after a 20 minute cameo against a quality team today...

But I don't suppose there is much room for common sense in football...

That's not common sense, it's optimism. That's fine too (and I share it) but you can understand pessimists see him another way, particularly when people made posts exactly like this about another record signing of ours.

Give him time and he will come good.

Struggled with injuries and the physicality of the PL and hasn't had a chance to get a good run in the team.

Give him a pre season with our medical staff and judge him this time next year! I'm confident he'll be one of our best players

Give him time and he will come good.

Struggled with injuries and the physicality of the PL and hasn't had a chance to get a good run in the team.

Give him a pre season with our medical staff and judge him this time next year! I'm confident he'll be one of our best players

Did you copy this straight out of a Gaston Ramirez thread? ;)

It is worrying - so far buying him seems to have p$ssed off Tadic - and what is absolutely clear is you cannot play both of them at the same time. Can't write him off yet as he has never had a run of games where he starts. That said I'm not impressed with his arrogant play when he comes on - reckons himself with very little end product. Hopefully he can become a better player than Tadic and he his successor, worst case is he forced Tadic out and carries on with this show pony nonsence. At the moment he is an expensive flop - which you could argue about Mane in season one. But Mane worked hard and wasn't injury prone (and cost £5m less). I'm hoping if the coaches do spot an incompatability we cut our losses early like Juanmi and don't adamantly think we can succeed like Ramirez, Osvaldo and Mayuka. Good businesses fail quick and cheap !

Typical Boufal performance today,gave the ball away on numerous occasions then danced through the Man. City defence to set up a chance we should have scored from.

Really hopeful he will come good - I'm a sucker for talent.

After Tadic has has had sunshine blown up his bum this last week, tonight he resorted to type and Boufal trots onto the pitch and suddenly we have 2 Fabrice Fernandes on the pitch!! The boy obviously has talent, he just need to learn when to be a show pony and when to be a donkey and dig in.

He was woeful yesterday. Really dislike him as a player. Thinks he's it, but in reality just loses it far too much. A double luxury with Tadic on the field