Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

There was something posted during the transfer window that Chelsea had first refusal on VVD no idea if true or where came from but Ake for VVD plus plenty of £s.??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would they and why would we agree to it?

Unless they're paying money for some sort of exclusivity period, I do not see how they could possibly have first refusal.

There was something posted during the transfer window that Chelsea had first refusal on VVD no idea if true or where came from but Ake for VVD plus plenty of £s.??

A few papers have described Chelsea as being in the driver's seat for a VVD summer deal and some have linked Ake to the deal. I can't recall reading anything re an actual first refusal deal, but sometimes I forget the names of my own children so that probably does not say very much. Here's a recent VVD to Chelsea report by the Telegraph. The Mail said something similar as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/01/chelsea-already-planning-summer-spending-spree-avoid-another/

Aké is a very talented young Dutch player, but in no way close to being in the same league as VVD yet. He'd be a good player to add, but no replacement.

Who said Ake would be VVD's replacement? He could be Fonte's replacement with someone else coming in to replace VVD

We can throw away the much vaunted and fabled Southampton Way blueprint if we sign Caceres.

But we won't, we'll just modify it to fit circumstances, as we have done several times in the past, each time that Les Reed has changed "his philosophy".

"We don't buy success, well actually we do, but not always, sometimes we breed it if we get lucky, sometimes we just **** up"

But we won't, we'll just modify it to fit circumstances, as we have done several times in the past, each time that Les Reed has changed "his philosophy".

"We don't buy success, well actually we do, but not always, sometimes we breed it if we get lucky, sometimes we just **** up"

I have this vision of Reed as Captain Mainwaring and Puel as Lance Corporal Jones. Or vice versa.

With reference to VVD moving, he has recently purchased a house in St Cross, Winchester and his partner has recently had a baby and has requested he does not move in the next couple of years.

Realistically the only better team in commutable distance is Chelsea at their Cobham training ground.

With reference to VVD moving, he has recently purchased a house in St Cross, Winchester and his partner has recently had a baby and has requested he does not move in the next couple of years.

Realistically the only better team in commutable distance is Chelsea at their Cobham training ground.

heard the very same thing

The club probably thought that Fonte would knuckle down and perform up to his usual standard as Morgan did, once a move didn't happen. They are probably extremely disappointed in his behaviour. After all, him being our captain and stalwart of the club, they expected more of him, and he's made plenty of errors this season that he wasn't making in the last couple of years. He must have been undermining the manager to have sold him in January. The club might well have thought that they had this season to sort out a serious long term replacement, and might well have had someone already lined up for the summer who's not available in January. There is a serious shortage of top class centre backs available. If we had signed Sakho, this would have been called a panic signing by many, seeing he hasn't played for Liverpool for ages and Lovren is the alternative, and previous problems with his attitude.

It seems that there were problems of fitness with other centre backs they looked at. Easy to whinge, but the chances of anyone selling you a top class centre back in January when they can't find a replacement are small. It's probably only because they are causing trouble. Other teams like Bournemouth have been desperate for a central defender, but have had no luck signing one. I think the plan was to give either Yoshida or Stephens the opportunity to play alongside Virgil until the end of the season, and make a decision whether or not either is good enough for the first team. Unfortunately, Virgil's injury put paid to that plan.

Excellent post. Whatever you think of Les Reed, he is not stupid. When he said that we wouldn't release Jose until a replacement was in place he probably thought that he would knuckle down when the window was closed and we could replace him in the summer. Something has clearly been wrong with Fonte since the Euros and it would appear that it came to a head recently, prompting a shift in the management position to move him on. The situation obviously changed big time when the extent of VVDs injury became known. If it is true the price of our main target went up by 5m Euros after we had agreed a deal then I don't blame the club for pulling out. Once you get a reputation of caving in, there goes your negotiating position. Other targets didn't work out either leaving us high and dry at the end of the window and leaving us with out of contract players as our only option. Out of the very few available, there is one who has clearly been a quality player in the past. If we can get fit and stay fit he will be a decent signing. I don't believe for one minute we are paying this guy a fortune, we just don't operate like that. Yes you can call it a panic buy, but rather than a total **** up, I think the club have gone about their business in their usual way and were left short in the window because they don't bend over and get shafted.

Excellent post. Whatever you think of Les Reed, he is not stupid. When he said that we wouldn't release Jose until a replacement was in place he probably thought that he would knuckle down when the window was closed and we could replace him in the summer. Something has clearly been wrong with Fonte since the Euros and it would appear that it came to a head recently, prompting a shift in the management position to move him on. The situation obviously changed big time when the extent of VVDs injury became known. If it is true the price of our main target went up by 5m Euros after we had agreed a deal then I don't blame the club for pulling out. Once you get a reputation of caving in, there goes your negotiating position. Other targets didn't work out either leaving us high and dry at the end of the window and leaving us with out of contract players as our only option. Out of the very few available, there is one who has clearly been a quality player in the past. If we can get fit and stay fit he will be a decent signing. I don't believe for one minute we are paying this guy a fortune, we just don't operate like that. Yes you can call it a panic buy, but rather than a total **** up, I think the club have gone about their business in their usual way and were left short in the window because they don't bend over and get shafted.

Think that all sums it nicely...

If he thought Fonte was going to stay then why make a public statement that he wouldn't be sold without a replacement? If, at the time he gave that interview, he thought he was staying then there really was no need to add that part on. This is an example of my major gripe with Les, he only speaks at times of intense speculation, says something positive and then it turns out to be wrong within a matter of days sometimes. He needs to either keep his mouth shut or only say something if he knows damn sure it's true. He wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much stick if a) he hadn't said we'd get a replacement for Fonte if we released him or b) he didn't have a previous track record of saying things and then subsequently not delivering. It just means he loses credibility amongst the fan base.

Edited by James

Jamie Redknapp apparently seemed to think there is no idea how or why he would know.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/761155/Chelsea-news-and-transfers-Virgil-van-Dijk-option

We can throw away the much vaunted and fabled Southampton Way blueprint if we sign Caceres.

Why? the club clearly want to do things a certain way. Sure they go over board on the PR side of it sometimes but they have, generally, been trying to do things in a similar way for the last few years. But no blue print/plan works all the time sometimes **** happens and things go wrong and you have to make the best of it. If we sign this player and it goes against the general "Southampton way tm" of doings things who cares? I d rather they do something to recover the situation than **** all. In the end though it doesn't mean because they occasionally veer away from the chosen path they have to give up the whole road trip.

If he thought Fonte was going to stay then why make a public statement that he wouldn't be sold without a replacement? This is an example of my major gripe with Les, he only speaks at times of intense speculation, says something positive and then it turns out to be wrong within a matter of days sometimes. He needs to either keep his mouth shut or only say something if he knows damn sure it's true. He wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much stick if a) he hadn't said we'd get a replacement for Fonte if we released him or b) he didn't have a previous track record of saying things and then subsequently not delivering. It just means he loses credibility amongst the fan base.

As I said, he may well have thought that Fonte would stay until the summer. If you believe some rumours we were looking to replace him then with Fabien Schar. Things do change you know. Reed gets slagged off for not saying anything and slagged off when he does. If you have ever worked in any sales situation there is no such thing as being damn sure about anything until the ink is dry on a contract. As for not getting as much stick, I think you will find that he would have got stick for something else by those who want to believe that the club is badly run.

As I said, he may well have thought that Fonte would stay until the summer. If you believe some rumours we were looking to replace him then with Fabien Schar. Things do change you know. Reed gets slagged off for not saying anything and slagged off when he does. If you have ever worked in any sales situation there is no such thing as being damn sure about anything until the ink is dry on a contract. As for not getting as much stick, I think you will find that he would have got stick for something else by those who want to believe that the club is badly run.

How could he have 'thought' Fonte would stay? It was his decision, Fonte had no say in the matter, short of actually refusing to play for the rest of the season.

He shouldn't have sold Fonte until after we had actually bought someone in; signed on the dotted line. That's the irrefutable act of stupidity he committed on January, when finding the right players is notoriously difficult.

Edited by Lighthouse
me English no good.

Disagree with that. If you can't guarantee something then don't make an affirmative statement that you can't stick to. No one forced him to make an implicit promise of a replacement, he chose to say it. He could have given the interview pretty easily and just omitted that bit.

Also, I'm sure some people would have continued to have a pop at Reed at the club but you can't deny that the criticism of him has exploded since the Fonte incident.

How could he would have 'thought' Fonte would stay? It was his decision, Fonte had no say in the matter, short of actually refusing to play for the rest of the season.

He shouldn't have sold Fonte until after we had actually bought someone in; signed on the dotted line. That's the irrefutable act of stupidity he committed on January, when finding the right players is notoriously difficult.

It only becomes an act of stupidity, in hindsight, when VVD gets injured. Up to that point Les is probably thinking Yoshida can step up for half a season and the newly returned Gardos can play back up we'd basically still have four centre backs if slightly less quality then in the summer we can get in Fonte's replacement when the market is better. I bet the moment VVD hobbled off against Leicester Les's seat in the directors area turned brown at that point he should have pulled all the stops to get in another CB. Basically Les gambled and lost if VVD hadn't been injured people would be far less worried about Fonte's replacement.

Has he now? Time I resumed loitering around the Wykeham Arms!!! I will be your Sky Sports reporter. "Breaking news, fellas, VVD's partner has ordered an OJ!"

It only becomes an act of stupidity, in hindsight, when VVD gets injured. Up to that point Les is probably thinking Yoshida can step up for half a season and the newly returned Gardos can play back up we'd basically still have four centre backs if slightly less quality then in the summer we can get in Fonte's replacement when the market is better. I bet the moment VVD hobbled off against Leicester Les's seat in the directors area turned brown at that point he should have pulled all the stops to get in another CB. Basically Les gambled and lost if VVD hadn't been injured people would be far less worried about Fonte's replacement.

It's like saying 'not wearing a seatbelt is only stupid if you have an accident'.

If one player getting injured makes it stupid, then it's already stupid. Gardos (right now) and Stephens are not first team players. Having 2 capable centre halves and going 'oh bugger' when one of them gets injured just stinks of poor planning.

Sadly it's quite an easy drive from Winchester to Chelsea's training ground in Cobham

How could he have 'thought' Fonte would stay? It was his decision, Fonte had no say in the matter, short of actually refusing to play for the rest of the season.

What do you think Fonte's best position would have been? Standing in the corner or sitting on the naughty step?

It's like saying 'not wearing a seatbelt is only stupid if you have an accident'.

If one player getting injured makes it stupid, then it's already stupid. Gardos (right now) and Stephens are not first team players. Having 2 capable centre halves and going 'oh bugger' when one of them gets injured just stinks of poor planning.

No its called gambling some times you get away with it some times you don't Les is no different to dozens of bosses I've worked for over the years.

Precisely.

We were one injury away from disaster when Fonte was allowed to go without a replacement in place. We have over relied on Vvd staying fit and have now paid for it.

Fingers crossed that discretion will not be worsened by employing a CB with a terrible injury record.

This is fingers crossed management at the moment which is contrary to the supposed Southampton way.

There is a story doing the rounds that things changed and Puel decided that it was best for all that Fonte moved on now. I don't know if that is true but it would explain a lot.

We were one injury away from disaster when Fonte was allowed to go without a replacement in place. We have over relied on Vvd staying fit and have now paid for it.

Fingers crossed that discretion will not be worsened by employing a CB with a terrible injury record.

This is fingers crossed management at the moment which is contrary to the supposed Southampton way.

how can it be made worse?

There is a story doing the rounds that things changed and Puel decided that it was best for all that Fonte moved on now. I don't know if that is true but it would explain a lot.

Cool, fine but whatever happened Fonte staying would have been better than having nobody.

how can it be made worse?

Well, if it's true that we're paying him £100,000 a week and he spends it all on the treatment table that would be pretty bad. But I don't believe that for a second - if the £100k figure is anywhere near true it's probably on the assumption that he's playing and getting a healthy per-appearance fee.

Well, if it's true that we're paying him £100,000 a week and he spends it all on the treatment table that would be pretty bad. But I don't believe that for a second - if the £100k figure is anywhere near true it's probably on the assumption that he's playing and getting a healthy per-appearance fee.

yeah we lose some cash but if he doesn't play or is total carp we are no worse off than now. If he even manages a handful of games at a decent level we are better off.

Wonder what happens in the summer if the club get offered £50m, can't see Les turning that down whether VVD wants to go or not.

As for this new story about Puel wanting rid of Fonte, that may or may not be the case, but it certainly helps Les off the hook, bit of a coincidence coming out now, just as he's getting flak and not at the time it actually happened.