Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Excellent. Sounds like we might get lucky and have signed a gem' date=' if we can get him match fit quickly.[/quote']

The guy hasn't played a match on high level in over a year and has been struggling with injuries last few season's. He is not going to be match fit anytime soon.

It's a big name and he brings experience but a gem? Im not holding my breath and it all looks like a signing out of desperation to me. Hope I'm wrong tho.

Can't see them being any higher than Fonte's wages. I don't know how big signing on fees are these days but for a man with fitness issues who's been out of contract for a while, I can't see it being extortionate.

Normally that'd be true. But we're as desperate as Desperate Dan in Desperateville.

The guy hasn't played a match on high level in over a year and has been struggling with injuries last few season's. He is not going to be match fit anytime soon.

It's a big name and he brings experience but a gem? Im not holding my breath and it all looks like a signing out of desperation to me. Hope I'm wrong tho.

I agree, it's not the ideal way to sign someone in what is a key position for us right now. I guess, for me though, I see someone who comes with real pedigree & who will have passed two thorough medicals, one with Milan & now one with us, to give some reassurance his injury problems are behind him. As a centre back, I'd imagine it could take less time to reach the requisite match fitness than say a central midfielder, so I'm hopeful it won't be too long. Time will tell, I guess...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Let's get one thing straight, this is a desperate move by a desperate club at a desperate time. This isn't our type

of signing at all, this is a club going into total panic that they are being sucked into a relegation battle and that they may embarrass themselves in a cup final, this lad was most probably near the bottom of the pile on the black box. His injury record, current level of fitness and huge wages tell you everything you need to know. That being said he is an experienced international with pedigree and we need someone desperately, although the more I think about it the more I suspect it will be a disaster, hope I am 100% wrong. If Les gets away with this one he is one jammy bar steward. COYR

Let's get one thing straight, this is a desperate move by a desperate club at a desperate time. This isn't our type

of signing at all, this is a club going into total panic that they are being sucked into a relegation battle and that they may embarrass themselves in a cup final, this lad was most probably near the bottom of the pile on the black box. His injury record, current level of fitness and huge wages tell you everything you need to know. That being said he is an experienced international with pedigree and we need someone desperately, although the more I think about it the more I suspect it will be a disaster, hope I am 100% wrong. If Les gets away with this one he is one jammy bar steward. COYR

Good post. Palace turned him down but we can't sign him quick enough, what does that tell you?

Good post. Palace turned him down but we can't sign him quick enough, what does that tell you?

It tells you that Crystal Palace had more foresight in keeping their options open in case they didn't get Sakho. Or to see which one of them would get on better with the manager. But other than that it tells you as much as Palace losing 4-0 to Sunderland tells you.

That Palace have a full squad of 25 and we don't? Milan tried to sign him, so he can't be that bad.

Do you want us to address the CB issue, or do you want to carry on complaining that we didn't? That is aimed at a what seems to be a majority on here, by the way.

The situation is not ideal, admittedly, but this is the best opportunity to make the best of a ****ty situation.

That Palace have a full squad of 25 and we don't? Milan tried to sign him, so he can't be that bad.

Do you want us to address the CB issue, or do you want to carry on complaining that we didn't? That is aimed at a what seems to be a majority on here, by the way.

The situation is not ideal, admittedly, but this is the best opportunity to make the best of a ****ty situation.

Palace turned him down because they got Sakho. Caceres was their back up option in case their deadline day attempts to get Sakho failed.

Correct. Best of a bad situation. An extra body and his experience tells me once fit will be our number one choice (whilst VVD out). Hope so anyway. Hope it also lifts Stephens' game too just by being an extra body in the squad in his position.

Unfortunately you are right. If he's a great success it'll be more luck than due to our self lauded great planning. The whole things has been a farce, the club knew for months

Fonte wanted to leave, i read somewhere that once he did our top targets price went up by £5m. Well whose fault it that? Other clubs knew we were desperate and were trying to get a bit more cash out of us and who could blame them. They had us over a barrel particularly as only a few days later we lost our only decent centre half to a long term injury. Then because we try to do things on the cheap we're left scrambling around after the window shuts trying to sign players who haven't played for a year. The whole thing has been an absolute shambles and not a business in control. I have a lot of respect for les Reed for what he's done for the club since he's been here but the last year or so it's seems like he's lost his way, two poor transfer Windows, a poor choice of manager and now clearly not in control or so great at planning as he tells everyone he is.

You don't think he'd play the Cup Final?

No. He hasnt played for a year, has been injured and possibly not doing much training. Doubt he would make a first start in a cup final. He will need a mini pre season to get anywhere near fit enough. Watford is much more realistic.

Doing things on the cheap always costs you more in the long run

Hmmmm Maybe just maybe this was planned in a way by the club

Tasci lets put it out there we tried to get him .....but lets not meet his demands , Sakho ...do we believe they really refused us a Loan option but gave one to Palace .....why would they do that

Perhaps the club were quite happy to go with no new CB and pocket the 8M from the Fonte sell and the wage reduction .

If you look at the options that were available it seems incredible that one of them could not be done , Maguire 10m no that means spending money , Jagialka maybe . There were options that could have been closed.

The debacle on saturday against spam and the abuse the directors box got may have pushed there hand and here is where we now are.

If he gets fit he may be a viable replacement for Fonte , he has the experience and ability certainly , but lets not lose sight of what has been achieved here .....net income 8M and huge reduction in wage bill against a free agent ...job done Les well done

Tasci lets put it out there we tried to get him .....but lets not meet his demands , Sakho ...do we believe they really refused us a Loan option but gave one to Palace .....why would they do that

Perhaps the club were quite happy to go with no new CB and pocket the 8M from the Fonte sell and the wage reduction .

If you look at the options that were available it seems incredible that one of them could not be done , Maguire 10m no that means spending money , Jagialka maybe . There were options that could have been closed.

The debacle on saturday against spam and the abuse the directors box got may have pushed there hand and here is where we now are.

If he gets fit he may be a viable replacement for Fonte , he has the experience and ability certainly , but lets not lose sight of what has been achieved here .....net income 8M and huge reduction in wage bill against a free agent ...job done Les well done

This is a load of crap. Doubt it's a reduction in the wage bill either, and he's probably got a large signing on fee to boot.

This is a load of crap. Doubt it's a reduction in the wage bill either, and he's probably got a large signing on fee to boot.

Just balancing out the defence situation .....Gabbadini cost us money but I am just comparing Fonte (our highest wage earner ) + 8M ....a six month contratc with option for a further year will not cost us the same money no way

Jesus. Do most people just believe the comments sections on facebook? They never refused us a loan deal. They preferred a sale but when no one wanted to buy him they accepted the Palace loan deal. WE backed out because of his wage demands and Liverpools loan fee.

Edited by Shance

Not really sure what to make of the potential Caceres signing.

I know Fonte leaving was pretty much inevitable over the last few months, and financially we seem to have done fantastically well out of a bloke who will be turning 34 this year, but I'd still rather have kept him until the end of the season (unless his presence truly was having a negative effect on the squad).

Age wise, Caceres is a bit "out there" compared to our usual type of signing, but as a short-term deal he SHOULD be just about perfect for our situation. A lot will depend on his attitude and whether he settles in quickly, I'm not really bothered about his lack of games and injury record to be honest.

I hope the club are not panicking as much as most seem to be on here. We are struggling but we are not relegation material.

6 league defeats in the last 7 games including 3 Home defeats plus a Cup Spanking by Arsenal would suggest we are making a pretty good attempt at getting there :-(

Has he signed yet?

Should be within the next couple of hours if manji's source is accurate...

Announcement later.

Cheers for info Manji.

By "later" do you mean "later tonight" or "later this week"?

Tonight or tomorrow morning. Doesn't matter we have got him.

Couple of points raised....

I'm not one for panicking, but recent form, home and away puts us in the bottom three. Most of the sides below are in really poor form too at the moment (could be that's why they are below us), but it would only take another two or three defeats for us and we could be struggling down there too

It tells you that Crystal Palace had more foresight in keeping their options open in case they didn't get Sakho. Or to see which one of them would get on better with the manager. But other than that it tells you as much as Palace losing 4-0 to Sunderland tells you.

I didn't see that CP had Yosh, Stevens or Gardos on their radar in case the Sakho deal fell through. I don't think any of those three would be a first choice CB for (m)any team in the prem at the moment.

And that's why it's worth bringing in, even an old crock, to give more options at the back. And to be fair after the WHU game we need them

I hope the club are not panicking as much as most seem to be on here. We are struggling but we are not relegation material.

6 losses out of 7. Poor play. Defence leaking goals, heading fast towards the bottom three. At what point do you think it valid to get a bit worried?

No. He hasnt played for a year, has been injured and possibly not doing much training. Doubt he would make a first start in a cup final. He will need a mini pre season to get anywhere near fit enough. Watford is much more realistic.

I disagree.

Assuming he signs today and then trains tomorrow he'll have 2 and half weeks to embed himself in the team and can squeeze in an U23 game against Everton on 20th (6 days before the final).

Whilst he hasn't been at a club I'd be very surprised if he hasn't been keeping himself fit. If he hasn't, then he doesn't strike me as very professional!

Cant think of anyone worse than Chris Samba. Would take Callum Davenport over him

When school finishes look him up. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Both these players provide a solidity and presence that our current options do not.