Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

I'm really happy that the club were able to get this one sorted. Here's what Les had to say:

Executive Director of Football Les Reed said: “Recruiting players in January is an extremely difficult task, and this year was a particularly challenging market for centre-backs.

“We set out to recruit a high-calibre player in that position during the January window so I am delighted that, following extensive work and persistence, we have now been able to sign Martín Cáceres on a short-term contract.

“Martin is a great talent, who has played at the very top level and won many trophies and medals. He is a very experienced international player for Uruguay and has enjoyed notable success with both Juventus and Barcelona.

"In a tough situation for us, losing Virgil to injury, he will bring experience, talent and character. He has played in the biggest of games, and will provide depth to our squad.

"Two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests have further demonstrated his desire and positive personality. I know Martin can’t wait to start playing again. We welcome him to St Mary’s, and his family into our family.”

Some much need cover at CB. I really doubt he is going to been seen at the cup final (other than on the bench) no football in 6 months, barely knows his team mates names and no competitive game before the final it would be bad idea to try shoe horn him in. Stephens and Yoshida are at least forming some sort of understanding throwing in Caceres would be mad.

He is cover for the rest of the season at 29 I doubt the club see him as a long term solution. A short term contract and then look for a longer term solution in the summer makes sense.

I just thought thirty one is not old for a defender and surprised that we haven't' done an 18 month contract so we can make a bit of money instead of being such an obvious and immediate stepping stone.

He is cover for the rest of the season at 29 I doubt the club see him as a long term solution. A short term contract and then look for a longer term solution in the summer makes sense.

There were some mutterings that there would be a 1 year renewal option but I haven't seen any evidence of that, particularly with Les describing it as a short term contract.

Looks like we have Gastón to thank too.

For taking so long to sign himself that this guy's move seems like a short while? In all seriousness, why do we have to thank him.

Playing him in the Final is a serious risk...But then so is not playing him. I guess we're just going to have to trust Claude on this one.

Would he be the first player to make his debut for a club in a Cup Final?

For taking so long to sign himself that this guy's move seems like a short while? In all seriousness, why do we have to thank him.

Playing him in the Final is a serious risk...But then so is not playing him. I guess we're just going to have to trust Claude on this one.

Ah, just seen the interview. That's nice of him. Always liked Gaston, shame it didn't really work out for him here but nice to know he still speaks highly of us.

Chris Baird ?

Although you did say debut, as opposed to first team debut

that would be an interesting poll - should he start the final or not? i'm not sure either way ... on the one hand it's a bit pointless signing someone up for such a short deal to not play them, on the other if he's not match fit it would be madness to start him. On my strange third hand, it was none other than stephens and yoshida who kept liverpool out at anfield. decisions decisions! I think ... 3 at the back is a workable solution but is about as likely as me growing a fourth hand!

“Two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests have further demonstrated his desire and positive personality.”

Something tells me the above quote could be the new "we have the best midfield options in the Premier League".

It's a worry if he needs to demonstrate that for the medical.

Both those games Stephens faced a big central striker...and United have the biggest and best!

And, United are more direct, throwing long balls up front. Stephens and Yoshida will be under intense pressure.

United will see them as our weakest link, for sure.

Given all that, Caceres will be a bigger risk having not played for so long.

So we have to start with Stephens and Yoshida and hope that they play the games of thier lives

Well done Les for attempting to rectify the issues that we have. A Goal scorer and now CB. I think those blaming him for all and sundry should at least acknowledge that he has bought a top quality forward and now a top quality defender. Irrelevant of injuries, form or even whether he plays at all, he was the best available.

Whether he should play I the final is down to the manager now as he see his level.

However it would be hard to imagine that, if he is fit, his experience wouldn't benefit the team?

Can't believe people think Stephens should play as he's early his place! Did you see arsenal and west ham games? This guys won champs league and Stephens vs zlatan? Really?

??

If you're going to pick two random games to prove your point I could just easily say did you not see the Liverpool and Sunderland games?

Unless he can come in and make a difference in and contribute in the final, there's not really anything exciting or relevant about this signing is there?

Not unless you're Pass the Dutchie.

This loan signing smacks of Les trying to save face with his commitment to replace Fonte. Completely against the grain of the fabled Southampton Way. Seemingly no one else wanted to sign him but we're shelling out £100k per week till the end of the season, most of which will be spent getting him match fit.

This loan signing smacks of Les trying to save face with his commitment to replace Fonte. Completely against the grain of the fabled Southampton Way. Seemingly no one else wanted to sign him but we're shelling out £100k per week till the end of the season, most of which will be spent getting him match fit.

Jesus Christ lets wait and see shall we

Unless he can come in and make a difference in and contribute in the final, there's not really anything exciting or relevant about this signing is there?

No, nothing exciting or relevant at all. Absolutely nothing. Zilch. I can't imagine what even brought you onto this thread, let alone actually contributing a post. What a waste of time, eh?

:rolleyes:

??

If you're going to pick two random games to prove your point I could just easily say did you not see the Liverpool and Sunderland games?

Liverpool could have scored 6, Sturridge missed some sitters. Man United will take chances like that

Sunderland are and have been **** all season

He looked poor vs Arsenal, Swansea and WHU

How do you know what we're paying him?

he's a pro footballer, looking for a club to play at, so i think he would of kept himself fit!!, match sharpness would be the question for me, not fitness. i think he knows why we wanted him, and he knows he can have another medal, in one game! (or does he need to of played a certain amount of the cup games to qualify for one)

Jesus Christ lets wait and see shall we

Let's hope he has a blinder in the final. If he doesn't play in that then it really is a strange one. We're not going down, we're not going to make any of the European spots via the league and we have Gardos and Bertrand to play at CB if needed.