Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

I say kudos to Les and the team for this signing regardless of how quickly he gets into the team or plays in the final. I thought that not bringing someone in during the window was very dangerous. Fonte's departure and VVD's injury left the squad dangerously thin at CB. Even if he is just insurance against injury to Yoshida or Stephens, the team has brought in an experienced free agent with an excellent pedigree. His injury record is a worry but his arrival is entirely welcome.

I say kudos to Les and the team for this signing regardless of how quickly he gets into the team or plays in the final. I thought that not bringing someone in during the window was very dangerous. Fonte's departure and VVD's injury left the squad dangerously thin at CB. Even if he is just insurance against injury to Yoshida or Stephens, the team has brought in an experienced free agent with an excellent pedigree. His injury record is a worry but his arrival is entirely welcome.

He's only a good signing in the context of being someone we could sign after the transfer deadline passed. The bigger picture is that we're heading into a major final and last third of the season with our first choice centre backs being those who came unto January 3rd and 4th in the pecking order.

VVD's injury was unfortunate but occurred in the middle of the month and only served to highlight the need to replace Fonte (as we were told we would). Failing to do that (I don't care how hard Les Reed says the market is in January - he is the one who sold Fonte without having a replacement) isn't too clever.

That said if Caceres is anything like the player he was then he is a good pick-up. But he isn't a very Saints signing and he is clearly someone who was quite down the 'list'.

Really?

Fonte puts in a transfer request and les says he won't be allowed to leave unless it suits us and we have a replacement lined up. Fonte leaves despite being linked with numerous players we don't sign anyone. What we end up with is a footballing equivalent of the last, most p*ssed girls in the club at the end of the night when all of he fit ones had alrady pulled. Regardless of if Careces luckily becomes a great signing we were left scrabbling round at the end of the night trying to bag who was left available because we'd f*cked up

Pulling a decent bit of snatch. No kudos at all, it shouldn't have come to this.

You said that if he doesn't play in the Cup Final, then his signing is not relevant. Having a high-quality CB available to play EPL games while Van Dijk is out is not relevant? Explain.

What difference will that make to our season?

Why can't you post your opinion on the signing?

Really?

Fonte puts in a transfer request and les says he won't be allowed to leave unless it suits us and we have a replacement lined up. Fonte leaves despite being linked with numerous players we don't sign anyone. What we end up with is a footballing equivalent of the last, most p*ssed girls in the club at the end of the night when all of he fit ones had alrady pulled. Regardless of if Careces luckily becomes a great signing we were left scrabbling round at the end of the night trying to bag who was left available because we'd f*cked up

Pulling a decent bit of snatch. No kudos at all, it shouldn't have come to this.

So you think that not bringing someone in during the January transfer window was dangerous and left the club dangerously thin at CB then. That's been mentioned before.

Given what happened in January, the club has done the best in the circumstances. I'm a little surprised at some of the negativity involving this signing.

What difference will that make to our season?

Why can't you post your opinion on the signing?

The difference? Who knows exactly? Could be a dramatic difference, but also one that might be difficult to quantify.

The signing? It is a wise, precautionary move—providing cover, should Yoshida or Stephens get injured. He might even become a first team starter, if he gets fit and adapts quickly.

Ultimately, it must be better to have him in the squad than not. Regardless of how things turn out, he is obviously a "relevant" signing.

Good news. If you take into account we reportedly panic-attempted a loan for Jordi Amat from Swansea on deadline day, then we've actually done much better with someone of Caceres's pedigree. Although that begs the question - why didn't we sign him sooner?

I hope he makes the same impact as Gabbiadini has had, and in his relatively short time at the club, he plays his knackers off and we finish well in the top half. (Perhaps even with a trophy to his credit!) His deal may only be until the summer - but at 29, if he impresses and stays injury free, I don't see why it cannot be extended for another season.

I don't think Stephens is a bad player, but it's asking a lot for a youngster (relatively young for a centre back) to step in full time with only lower league games to his name. Yoshida is competent enough - and now with Caceres alongside him we should have enough to cope with VVD's absence. I'm excited to see what he can do for us.

Good news on two counts.

1. A player with good pedigree signed in a position which desperately needed strengthening.

2. It's the type of signing that Les and co would previously have scoffed at. Hopefully this means the powers that be are realising the self-hyped black box and recruitment system isn't superior to what any other top flight club operates.

Not unless you're Pass the Dutchie.

This loan signing smacks of Les trying to save face with his commitment to replace Fonte. Completely against the grain of the fabled Southampton Way. Seemingly no one else wanted to sign him but we're shelling out £100k per week till the end of the season, most of which will be spent getting him match fit.

Forgive me for being mildly excited about a new big name player joining the squad. I'm very curious to find out how he'll do, and I want to trust that we wouldn't sign someone if we think he doesn't have the potential to contribute.

Good news on two counts.

1. A player with good pedigree signed in a position which desperately needed strengthening.

2. It's the type of signing that Les and co would previously have scoffed at. Hopefully this means the powers that be are realising the self-hyped black box and recruitment system isn't superior to what any other top flight club operates.

Seems very similar to signings like Eljero Elia or Filip Djuricic except instead of being a loan he is a free transfer.

That's how i see it tbh.

I know playing Stephens in the final is a risk but being the sentimental old fool that I am I'd play him as I think he's earned it and I don't think MC will be ready match fit wise or will have built any kind of understanding with Yoshi and cb's apart from anything else are all about partnerships.

The difference? Who knows exactly? Could be a dramatic difference, but also one that might be difficult to quantify.

The signing? It is a wise, precautionary move—providing cover, should Yoshida or Stephens get injured. He might even become a first team starter, if he gets fit and adapts quickly.

Ultimately, it must be better to have him in the squad than not. Regardless of how things turn out, he is obviously a "relevant" signing.

In what way could he make a dramatic difference?

He's going to go ponytail to ponytail and mark Zlatan out of the final (i may have dreamt this)

That's a wonderful dream but Man U have a heck of a lot of height in their side with players like Pogba 1.91, Fellalini 1.94 and Ibrahimovic 1.95. Caceres is only 1.83 - it would be a horrible mismatch to have him pick up Zlatan.

Sorry Doddis + Cellone . Didn't notice that we were paying absolutely nothing for him (signing on fee, weekly wages etc) and this was all pre-planned by our outstanding strategy - I take it all back - Les is a genius. On a serious note hopefully we get a few games out of him, he stays injury free, and is committed to the club whilst he is here.

Sorry Doddis + Cellone . Didn't notice that we were paying absolutely nothing for him (signing on fee, weekly wages etc) and this was all pre-planned by our outstanding strategy - I take it all back - Les is a genius. On a serious note hopefully we get a few games out of him, he stays injury free, and is committed to the club whilst he is here.

Each to their own personally I think Les is a half decent DOF who has done some good things but being human is also prone to the odd **** up.

The CB situation this Jan was a **** up but at least Les has tried to rectify the **** up. I'd rather that then he did nothing.

As for wages and stuff where you expecting the club secure a player that was happy to work for free?

Do we know if he has any shít tattoos? I feel like that's what's been missing to our game since Jose left.

:lol: I'm sure some of the other players have got that one covered.

Pretty sure he hasn't. We've all seen A LOT of him in that Twitter picture in the Juve changing room!

Bet those that are moaning now would have moaned if we had missed out on this signing to another club, literally no winning with some of you. Start being more positive, negativity isn't good for the health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative people have a shorter life expectancy. Fact.

Would be risky to start him imho

He will be very rusty having not played 90 minutes of competitive football in over a year.

Im not a huge fan of Stephens and doubt he will make the cut long-term (Div 1 maybe) but he's the sensible option for the final given the limited options.

Hoping Ibra and co have an off day

"I very please to be here. I look forward to play and show my qualities. I speak to Gaston Ramirez. He say it very nice but he say, "watch out for Alpine, man, he will call you Fartin Craperes and say you lazy asseshole".

Funniest thing on here in ages. :D

Let's face a few facts before we slag this guy off as a panic buy who has nothing to contribute. Ordinarily if he had been fully fit and playing regularly at his best level and he was a free agent when the transfer window opened we wouldn't even have got a sniff at a guy of this quality let alone be able to afford to outbid the rich clubs of English football for his signature. If he settles in well, plays well and decides he likes it enough here to stay on a longer contract we will have stolen a march on the big boys; with the prospect of a fit again top notch Carceras lining up alongside van Dyke next season what is not to like?

This could be the start of something great! He will be a boon to young players as a teacher and of course as a challenger for a place in the team. Not only that but he is a "name" that can only be good to attract other top players and persuade the stars we have here to stay. His entry may have been unorthodox and unseemly but he might well be one of the signings of the century

WELCOME MARTIN CACERES!!! welcome to the SFC family!! We have an experienced defender that has been an International and played at the highest level. I hope you bring that beast mode to EPL, your speed and defending skills are some of the best in the world. You are a no nonsense defender that will revel in the brawly EPL. I fully expect you to establish yourself as a first team starter, for if you cannot show your qualities over a young learning CB then ya should not be here!! but no worries, Les and company have a good eye for quality, lets hope we unearthed another one, lets show we can find the gems in the unproven youth and in the Mature "out of contract" still have something to give.

This is probably not our preference in a new CB, I am sure we have one lined up for the summer ( a real gem of course), but when the chips we down they seemed to have found a good CB that could prove to be a master stroke.

March on Saints, with Martin in step!