Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Good news. If you take into account we reportedly panic-attempted a loan for Jordi Amat from Swansea on deadline day, then we've actually done much better with someone of Caceres's pedigree. Although that begs the question - why didn't we sign him sooner?

I hope he makes the same impact as Gabbiadini has had, and in his relatively short time at the club, he plays his knackers off and we finish well in the top half. (Perhaps even with a trophy to his credit!) His deal may only be until the summer - but at 29, if he impresses and stays injury free, I don't see why it cannot be extended for another season.

I don't think Stephens is a bad player, but it's asking a lot for a youngster (relatively young for a centre back) to step in full time with only lower league games to his name. Yoshida is competent enough - and now with Caceres alongside him we should have enough to cope with VVD's absence. I'm excited to see what he can do for us.

Apparently the rumour about the bid for Amat wasn't true.

Good news. If you take into account we reportedly panic-attempted a loan for Jordi Amat from Swansea on deadline day, then we've actually done much better with someone of Caceres's pedigree. Although that begs the question - why didn't we sign him sooner?

I hope he makes the same impact as Gabbiadini has had, and in his relatively short time at the club, he plays his knackers off and we finish well in the top half. (Perhaps even with a trophy to his credit!) His deal may only be until the summer - but at 29, if he impresses and stays injury free, I don't see why it cannot be extended for another season.

I don't think Stephens is a bad player, but it's asking a lot for a youngster (relatively young for a centre back) to step in full time with only lower league games to his name. Yoshida is competent enough - and now with Caceres alongside him we should have enough to cope with VVD's absence. I'm excited to see what he can do for us.

I seem to remember a crocked J Rednapp being signed, with similar "oh goody goody, a player with quality, if he can stay fit blah blah blah." I just hope Cacares does a better job at earning his crust.

Delighted he has now signed a world class defender or was at Barca and Juventus, very popular with the fans wherever he has been for hi hard no nonsense style and also very well liked in the dressing room a real character. Welcome Pelado !!!

He is where i am worried ....Caceres and VVD as a pairing if they Gel is an awesome thought , so it could turn out to be a great move , have we got an option for another year ....I dont know , does anyone but you can see spuds or the scousers queuing up to nick him off us if we dont have it tied down .

Off course he could get injured a be an expensive flop ........................

Caceres hasn't played for a year, so no way he should start at Wembley as a CB pairing. Would it be insane to play both Caceres and Stephens (as well as Yoshida of course)? ZI vs. Yoshia and Stephens alone scares the shit out of most of us, it seems.

It would give the full backs license to bomb forward more often too.

What's the point in pre empting what we think caceres' fitness level might be?

Puel will make a fair assessment after a weeks training.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Starting a geezer in a cup final after he hasn't played a competitive game in a year is nothing short of madness Imo !

Reed's quote about him adding depth to the squad makes me think bench.

He hasn't joined to play second fiddle to Stephens whilst van Dijk is injured.

When all are fully fit the pecking order is most likely going to be...

van Dijk

Caceres

Yoshida

Stephens

Gardos

The way Caceres talks about the final and his expressions in the interview make me think he feels he has a chance of starting. Of course we all know given he hasn't played for a year that is a big risk, but in terms of quality he is some way ahead of Stephens. Impossible to really know what we'll do without seeing him in training, but Puel has over a week of training to decide if he is ready or not.

van Dijk

Caceres

Yoshida

Stephens

Gardos

The way Caceres talks about the final and his expressions in the interview make me think he feels he has a chance of starting. Of course we all know given he hasn't played for a year that is a big risk, but in terms of quality he is some way ahead of Stephens. Impossible to really know what we'll do without seeing him in training, but Puel has over a week of training to decide if he is ready or not.

None of what you've said is wrong, but it doesn't follow that he's going to start this game. Reed's words were that he'll add depth to the squad, which is a phrase we've only heard used about Martina and Pied, from memory. If he's fit he will probably be ahead of Stephens in the pecking order for the rest of the season, but this final is a week away and has all sorts of special factors.

van Dijk

Caceres

Yoshida

Stephens

Gardos

You had a very strong opinion that Mouez Hassan shouldn't be on the bench as he wasn't match fit. A goalie. Yet you believe it's quite conceivable that a player who hasn't set foot on a pitch in a competitive game for a year, in an extremely key position of CB, who hardly knows the names of his team mates, let alone have built any form of understanding with them should play his very first game in a cup final? That's certainly an interestingly drastic change in view I'll grant you that.

I get the distinct feeling that a lot of the people who are voicing strong opinions about Caceres either way have probably never seen him play before.

I don't think you need to have seen him play to come to the conclusion that he is almost certainly not Premier League match fit just now.

You had a very strong opinion that Mouez Hassan shouldn't be on the bench as he wasn't match fit. A goalie. Yet you believe it's quite conceivable that a player who hasn't set foot on a pitch in a competitive game for a year, in an extremely key position of CB, who hardly knows the names of his team mates, let alone have built any form of understanding with them should play his very first game in a cup final? That's certainly an interestingly drastic change in view I'll grant you that.

I think you need to re-read my post in the context of what it was replying to and you will see that at no point did I say he should (or shouldn't) start the cup final. You've twisted my post quite badly.

I think you need to re-read my post in the context of what it was replying to and you will see that at no point did I say he should (or shouldn't) start the cup final. You've twisted my post quite badly.

The post you were replying to was specifically talking about him being on the bench for the final.

The post you were replying to was specifically talking about him being on the bench for the final.

Nope, I only quoted one sentence from that post... the one about Les Reed where he was talking about squad depth in general. My point was that Reed talking about Caceres adding to squad depth doesn't mean Caceres i a back-up player, he is adding to numbers of CBs. As I mentioned, I think it is likely with everyone fit, Caceres would only be behind van Dijk in pecking order.

I think maybe you're the one who needs to read what was written more clearly. I said 'you believe it's quite conceivable...' that he could play (or be involved) whereas there was absolutely no way a non-match-fit goalie (who doesn't need to know much about his team, team mates or tactics - in relative terms) should be on the bench.

Nope, I only quoted one sentence from that post... the one about Les Reed where he was talking about squad depth in general. My point was that Reed talking about Caceres adding to squad depth doesn't mean Caceres i a back-up player, he is adding to numbers of CBs. As I mentioned, I think it is likely with everyone fit, Caceres would only be behind van Dijk in pecking order.

That post was entirely about him being on the bench in the cup final, not being on the bench forever, unless in your world "his first game in English football" has some different meaning.

Read it, and read it again.

Sentiments say Stephens plays - do this and we are giving UTD the edge especially on current form.

A mate is a season ticket holder at Juventus he says if you can keep him fit you have a seriously good player.

If he is deemed match fit if only for 60 minutes or so we must play him, there really is no argument here - this lad is class

Sentiments say Stephens plays - do this and we are giving UTD the edge especially on current form.

A mate is a season ticket holder at Juventus he says if you can keep him fit you have a seriously good player.

If he is deemed match fit if only for 60 minutes or so we must play him, there really is no argument here - this lad is class

I'm sure there'll be no sentiment involved and neither should there be, it's a ruthless profession. But sometimes it doesn't boil down to who is the best player, clearly the new guy is. But & it's a ****ing big but, Centre halfs are all about partnerships & the English game does take time to adapt to, it's also a fact that players need to be match fit ( that's why we have a pre season) . The way I look at it Martin C has never played with Yoshida, never played in English football , & hasn't played a competitive game for ages. He needs to be some ****ing player to trump Stephens over those facts. He trumps Gardos, who has hardly played with Yoshida & hasn't played for ages, but Stephens/Yoshida has been ok, and ok is the best we can hope for IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the distinct feeling that a lot of the people who are voicing strong opinions about Caceres either way have probably never seen him play before.

Considering that he played for Uruguay against England in 2014 World Cup I'd hazard a guess that pretty much everyone here has seen him play at least 1 game.

I seem to remember a crocked J Rednapp being signed, with similar "oh goody goody, a player with quality, if he can stay fit blah blah blah." I just hope Cacares does a better job at earning his crust.

Now I always remember Jamie putting in a decent shift for us and being disappointed when he hung his boots up, he'd have been great for us in the championship. Everyone has a different perspective let's hope his impact is more Chris perry than Callum davenport!

Let's face a few facts before we slag this guy off as a panic buy who has nothing to contribute. Ordinarily if he had been fully fit and playing regularly at his best level and he was a free agent when the transfer window opened we wouldn't even have got a sniff at a guy of this quality let alone be able to afford to outbid the rich clubs of English football for his signature. If he settles in well, plays well and decides he likes it enough here to stay on a longer contract we will have stolen a march on the big boys; with the prospect of a fit again top notch Carceras lining up alongside van Dyke next season what is not to like?

This could be the start of something great! He will be a boon to young players as a teacher and of course as a challenger for a place in the team. Not only that but he is a "name" that can only be good to attract other top players and persuade the stars we have here to stay. His entry may have been unorthodox and unseemly but he might well be one of the signings of the century

Since Puel came we do seem to have more long term injuries than recent seasons . Doesn't bode well for Caceras seeing as he is known for being injury prone

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Since Puel came we do seem to have more long term injuries than recent seasons . Doesn't bode well for Caceras seeing as he is known for being injury prone

It's the French diet he is forcing on them. It's not good for their knees or ankles - well definitely in VVD's and Austin's case. We need to get a proper football man in, one who knows the English game. Sorry I digress

It would help, if they stopped sliding around on their knees, every time they score imo.

Just of the top of my head Gardos, Forster, Clasie, Austin, Bertrand, maybe Juanmi, we're all injured before Puel came. Austin has a history of injuries, VVD was because of the pikey Vardy, McCarthys injury was disappointing and their has been some research about being in a danger zone for muscle injuries when moving to a new club like Clasie and Pied.

Yes I totally agree. Puels ridiculous training regime that encouraged VVD to stand in an area where vardy could stamp on his ankle whilst his jumping training meant Charlie fell awkwardly on his shoulder. Damn the man.

A good purchase to strengthen a weak area as he clearly has quality - but I don't think I'll be rushing out and getting his name on a shirt quite yet.

He will either become a cup legend or that bloke who played three games for us and then went to Stoke for his retirement.

Yes I totally agree. Puels ridiculous training regime that encouraged VVD to stand in an area where vardy could stamp on his ankle whilst his jumping training meant Charlie fell awkwardly on his shoulder. Damn the man.

Lol

Great answer to a ridiculous suggestion

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC