Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Samba is a funny one he looked excellent for Blackburn back in the day and then de-railed his own career in pursuit of money going first to Russia and then the odd transfer to QPR. He's to old and too much of a crock these days for us to be taking a gamble on him!

Can't decide if the boards itk posters have all got together to have a laugh at our expense would be nice to finally drag this one over the line!

The upside to this provided we sign him fit and get him into the team is that it releases another versatile player. Stephens started as a full back played as a holding midfielder and CB at Swindon and now having had a few first team games could possibly supply alongside Romeu the tall holding midfielder option we have lacked since losing Wanyama and also cover the right back position in front of Martina. McQueen was a forward converted to a full back but I'd like to see what he would offer as a left sided midfielder either attacking or holding.

The upside to this provided we sign him fit and get him into the team is that it releases another versatile player. Stephens started as a full back played as a holding midfielder and CB at Swindon and now having had a few first team games could possibly supply alongside Romeu the tall holding midfielder option we have lacked since losing Wanyama and also cover the right back position in front of Martina. McQueen was a forward converted to a full back but I'd like to see what he would offer as a left sided midfielder either attacking or holding.

Still obessed with CB's crabbing around in the midfield I see :lol:

Jeremy Wilson has reported it which means the club have given him the info. Midday announcement methinks. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/07/southampton-look-solve-centre-back-crisis-signing-former-barcelona/

"With Van Dijk and Fonte gone, Southampton manager Claude Puel has been using Maya Yoshida and Jack Stephens at centre-back, as well as Florin Gardos."

VvD has gone too? Must have missed that one... :)

I'd like to see a midfield of Gardos holding, with Stephens and McQueen in front and Cuco playing an innovative role at the tip of the diamond, charging things down, getting stuck in and having the odd shot. He could also retreat to help win headers from goal kicks. This role - The Offensive Super Sweeper or TOSS - is underused in my opinion.

You might say that the TOSS with the other midfield options is a bit defensive but if we pair it with a big man / little man combo upfront then you don't need to play through midfield.

I would form a Central Unit of Normal Traditional Strikers to play in front of the TOSS.

Gallagher and Gabbiadini / Long would do the trick. Get it forward to Gallagher and feed off the knock-downs.

Naturally when we sell VVD in the summer they will say Caceres was his replacement like they did with Austin and Pelle ;)

The difference being, that was quite obviously the case. I think we only signed Gabbi because of the combined injuries and form of Austin, Long and JRod. Don't be surprised to see one of them leave in summer and "not replaced FFS Les!"

View from my Italian work colleague is that Cacares is class, but very injury prone so it would be a risk. Juventus had basically had enough which was why they released him. Don't think that we have much choice given where we are, as long as he can see the season out for us.

Any news on him signing?

My Italian colleague also said that Gabbiadini had a stunning left foot (before Saturday!)

View from my Italian work colleague is that Cacares is class, but very injury prone so it would be a risk. Juventus had basically had enough which was why they released him. Don't think that we have much choice given where we are, as long as he can see the season out for us.

Any news on him signing?

My Italian colleague also said that Gabbiadini had a stunning left foot (before Saturday!)

all done bar work permit apparently

You might say that the TOSS with the other midfield options is a bit defensive but if we pair it with a big man / little man combo upfront then you don't need to play through midfield.

I would form a Central Unit of Normal Traditional Strikers to play in front of the TOSS.

Gallagher and Gabbiadini / Long would do the trick. Get it forward to Gallagher and feed off the knock-downs.

Yes but we also need width and creativity.

I would also create a Talented Winger And Tantalising Supplier unit to help. It's understaffed at the minute due to long term sickness

Any news on him signing?

I think we all expect to him to break down, but if he can help secure 6 or 9 points, then it is worth it.

You've got history hypo. The old timers and mods on here know what piece of nasty work you are.

I remember when he mocked someone because their kid died and he mentioned it on the forum. That was nice of him.

Could you guys (not just you two specifically but all involved) find the ignore button or open a thread in the lounge to take cheap shots at each other and leave this bit of the site for footy?

It's my birthday so would be nice of the club to announce a signing today!

Going back a year or two it seems he was pretty decent with loads of Serie A medals and a Champs league medal but I think he was more of a squad player. If we can get him fit enough to play then I would say he is better than the options we have available to us right now. Get him working as hard as possible so he is an interesting possibility for the Final.

Could you guys (not just you two specifically but all involved) find the ignore button or open a thread in the lounge to take cheap shots at each other and leave this bit of the site for footy?

Happy Birthday.:bun:

Southampton are hopeful of completing the signing of the former Barcelona and Juventus defender Martin Caceres, currently a free agent, over the next few days.

The 29-year-old is currently in Southampton for a medical and the move is subject to the Uruguay international successfully gaining a work permit.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/07/southampton-set-to-sign-martin-caceres-juventus-barcelona

This forum IS primarily for people to take shots at each other. Go and discuss football somewhere else.

The debacle on saturday against spam and the abuse the directors box got may have pushed there hand

What happened around the Directors' Box? Was Kat there ?I Hope she didn't get any abuse .

I'm in block 33 so couldn't tell if there was any verbals flying around.

Going back a year or two it seems he was pretty decent with loads of Serie A medals and a Champs league medal but I think he was more of a squad player. If we can get him fit enough to play then I would say he is better than the options we have available to us right now. Get him working as hard as possible so he is an interesting possibility for the Final.

I suppose with Juventus first choice back 3 of Bonnucci, Chiellini and Barzagli then being a back up to those 3 was not too shabby a place to be really.

He does have an excellent CV so his quality is not in doubt - However his fitness is !

The difference being, that was quite obviously the case. I think we only signed Gabbi because of the combined injuries and form of Austin, Long and JRod. Don't be surprised to see one of them leave in summer and "not replaced FFS Les!"

I fully expect this to be the case. I just don't know which one. I suspect both JRod and Long will be considering their options in the summer.

I fully expect this to be the case. I just don't know which one. I suspect both JRod and Long will be considering their options in the summer.

By all accounts, it would appear to be J-Rod that wants to leave. Plus, I don't see where Long would get a better deal than what he's currently getting here...

If we sign him and he is fit to play at Wembley will we have more players with CL winners medals than United?

Romeu, Hojbjerg and Bertrand have won it but I don't know if they qualified for medals.

Utd have Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Mata.

Off the top of me 'ead.

Don't hold your breath if you're waiting for an announcement today:

The 29-year-old has been at the club’s Staplewood training base for a medical and has agreed a deal until the end of the season, with the club now waiting on a work permit before making a formal announcement. That is expected later this week or at the start of next week.

-Wilson's Telegraph article.

Edited by Saint Albert
Really bad grammar

Romeu, Hojbjerg and Bertrand have won it but I don't know if they qualified for medals.

Utd have Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Mata.

Off the top of me 'ead.

I'm fairly sure Betrand has a medal after playing the final, not sure about Romeu. Hojbjerg has a medal too I believe. So we'd have 4 (if Romeu has one).

Even if he hasn't played for a year you could chuck a class player into a cup final and he'd get by on adrenalin, however when it's a centre half who has to play in a partnership it does become extremely risky. My guess based on absolutely nothing is it's too early & we'll go for Yoshida & Stephens on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this guy is/was a decent player but he is made of glass. To me this deal just shows how badly our transfer policy has been implemented recently. We are searching around for anyone who we can bring in on a free and obviously Caceres is up there with the better ones available. However he has been without a club for 6 months (even though Juve said in April he is free to leave). Has not played in a year and on top of that he is a bit of a nutjob.

IF we can get him fit and IF he can avoid injuries then he would be a decent signing. He played RB just as much as CB for Juve so he can play multiple positions which is a bonus. But as reported he wants a massive wage to sign for someone. Some say its £100k a week. If that is the type of money we will be paying him then it is beyond stupid. He is a massive gamble. Which brings me to Fonte. If he wanted a bigger contract why sell him in January? I have no doubt Fonte would have been professional and put in a shift just as others have who were to move on at the end of the season. He was the captain and knew the club/players. He rarely got injured and chipped in with some goals here and there. It was a gamble to sell Fonte without a replacement lined up, and its another gamble in signing this guy. For a club that repeatedly tells us how they have everything planned out it is a strange decision making process that has led us to pin our hopes on someone who has not signed with anyone else in 10 months whilst being free.

This signing has the feel of a "Hail Mary" pass to use the NFL terminology. Les and/or Ross screwed up royally on the CB side of things during the transfer window and this is their emergency remedy.

That being said he looks like a classy replacement. Injury record is a major concern. It's also the reason we were able to sign a player of this pedigree as a free agent. If the Saints training staff could just keep him going for the next few months during VVD's absence and he plays to his ability, it will hopefully work out OK. Les may just have pulled his nuts out of the fire.

Don't get the criticism. He provides height in the box, experience, calmness at the back and is able to put in a tackle.

If he isn't super fit and fast, I think that's not a great concern, I accept a compromise will be made elsewhere, for instance Romeu or else Bertrand/Cedric needing to hang back a bit to avoid getting exposed.

So our solution is to desperately sign someone last minute for high wages who by all accounts hasn't played for more than a few months without injury & injuries have plagued his whole career

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So our solution is to desperately sign someone last minute for high wages who by all accounts hasn't played for more than a few months without injury & injuries have plagued his whole career

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Of course the solution shouldn't be. 'Cope with Yoshida, Stephens & Gardos until VVD gets fit' so as the emergency loan window no longer exists and transfers aren't an option, then what you surmise is the only sensible solution remaining.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When school finishes look him up. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Both these players provide a solidity and presence that our current options do not.

Samba is absolutely shocking mate. You clearly haven't seen much of him in the last few years.

i couldn't agree more! I get sick of reading posters insulting each other about a difference of opinion. Why the Mods allow it, I don't know.

Happy Birthday!

Were only signing this guy because of the injury to VVD my bet is that if VVD had stayed fit we would have looked to get through the rest of the season with Stephens and Gardos as back up to VVD and Yoshida and replaced Fonte in the summer when more players were available. Always a gamble which has thanks to Vardy come out looking like a bad bet.

Were only signing this guy because of the injury to VVD my bet is that if VVD had stayed fit we would have looked to get through the rest of the season with Stephens and Gardos as back up to VVD and Yoshida and replaced Fonte in the summer when more players were available. Always a gamble which has thanks to Vardy come out looking like a bad bet.

Looks very much the case and was a huge risk by Reed and Wilson. Let's hope Caceres can stay fit for some of the games and gets us enough clean sheets