Sunderland - Meltdown Warmup Thread

Lighthouse

Was that Alfie Jones in the training pics? Interesting.

He's basically next in line if we get another injury so I suspect he's been upgraded to first team training for now.

Not expecting much here after our recent form, their recent result and our relatively poor record up there (last year aside). Would be nice to get a win to breed a bit of confidence pre-Wembley but, with all the injuries we've got at the moment and our defensive issues, I can't really see it. 1-1 would be my guess.

Made a late decision that I'm gonna go to this one. Last visit to Sunderland was the god awful 1-0 loss in the FA cup a couple of years back (Same day McQueen made his debut I believe). It can't be as bad as that...can it?

Have a feeling they'll get 1 but we should have enough to beat them. Hopefully the fact they're at home will play into our hands (sit back and counter attack)

Let's be honest, if a Sunderland win puts a smile on young Bradley Lowery's face on Saturday evening, then I will hope for a home win.

Sorry Saints, but you can win the next one....

What about all the kids who support Saints who are also chronically or terminally ill? I'm sure they'd all like us to win to put a smile on their faces.

They'll also want to play well. A bad performance = being dropped. There will be 2 weeks, so plenty of recovery time if anyone picks up a little knock.

That hasn't been the case all season. The same as a good performance has often seen that player benched the following game.

What's your prediction for tomorrow Pamps? I know you go for an 'easy win' normally 5 or 6 nil to Saints. You going for the same this week? I want to beat the bookies and I know you're normally bang on the money! Thanks!

What about all the kids who support Saints who are also chronically or terminally ill? I'm sure they'd all like us to win to put a smile on their faces.

I've been wondering if there's something particularly special about this Bradley kid. Obviously they've done phenomenally well raising money and awareness for him and it warms your heart, but I'm not sure why he in particular has become such a star. Anyone?

That hasn't been the case all season. The same as a good performance has often seen that player benched the following game.

What's your prediction for tomorrow Pamps? I know you go for an 'easy win' normally 5 or 6 nil to Saints. You going for the same this week? I want to beat the bookies and I know you're normally bang on the money! Thanks!

Being in the side just now is pure lottery - form, goals, assists, win, lose, draw it seems to have no impact on the next team selection.

Probably why we are not seeing a lift in performances following the EFL semi win. Each time (for example) Jay and Long have scored in the league, they've dropped to the bench for the next game.... Bananas

I have to be right eventually, so I'll go for 5-0 to Saints. Easy peasy

This is the Koeman team that lost up there a couple of seasons ago, I wonder if Puels far less superior team can do better.

1 Davis

2 Clyne

6 Fonte

3 Yoshida

21 Bertrand

12 Wanyama

17 Alderweireld

7 Long

16 Ward

10 Mané

19 Pellè

Christ that team is soooooo much better than what we have now - i think defoe will enjoy himself against our awful CBs. It's got defeat written all over it.

This is the Koeman team that lost up there a couple of seasons ago, I wonder if Puels far less superior team can do better.

1 Davis

2 Clyne

6 Fonte

3 Yoshida

21 Bertrand

12 Wanyama

17 Alderweireld

7 Long

16 Ward

10 Mané

19 Pellè

Hmm, might look better on paper, but...

Yoshi is a lot better now.

There are 5 defenders in that team. And we still lost!?

Ok, Mane & Pelle were good, but not all the time - they had off days, too (especially in the winter).

Can you name any examples of a manager being sacked 2 weeks before a major cup final at Wembley?

There is always a first time, he cannot stay, club will need a lift when we lose to Sunderland, there is no way he can stay. Put Kelvin Davis in charge, more chance of winning at Wembley with him in charge than the joker Puel.

There is always a first time, he cannot stay, club will need a lift when we lose to Sunderland, there is no way he can stay. Put Kelvin Davis in charge, more chance of winning at Wembley with him in charge than the joker Puel.

That's a ridiculous statement.

I honestly think Puel got a raw deal this season, even if some of his tactics have been questionable. Koeman had Wanyama, Fonte, Mané, Toby, Pelle, Clyne and Morgan during his time here.

Now we've got Stephens in our starting XI, a player who couldn't get near the match day squad last season. When we had Fonte, Virgil and Austin all fit, we were actually half decent. Our supposed next big talent has spent most of the season in the treatment room and scored 1 league goal, whilst Redmond and Hojbjerg have looked like bang average, bottom half players. Add to that Tadic and Long have completely gone missing, through no fault of Puel's IMO.

What you think Kelvin would do with this bunch of players I don't know.

If you think a mid-table club is going to sack a manager who got them to only their 6th major cup final in their 132 year existence and replace him with an ex-player with ZERO experience as a manager days before Wembley then it is you that is a "joker".

Mad as a box of frogs.

If you think a mid-table club is going to sack a manager who got them to only their 6th major cup final in their 132 year existence and replace him with an ex-player with ZERO experience as a manager days before Wembley then it is you that is a "joker".

Mad as a box of frogs.

With Puel in charge, we will lose the cup and get relegated.

Totally agree mate. We should call up Le Tiss and get him out of retirement, maybe Benali too?

Although if we're going for putting people with no experience in maybe Usain Bolt for some pace up top? Mo Farah could give us some running in the middle?

Not sure about Kelv for manager on second thought, he's too close to some of the current lads to become boss. Maybe Nigel Farage could get the boys fired up..? He's not too busy these days.

nervous for this; it's a massive game and right now I'm doubting our ability to stand up and be counted. A win would be huge but Sunderland have picked up a bit and what might have looked easy on paper 3 months ago no longer does. We have the ability to turn up as we showed against Liverpool and Leicester, but with Claude's constant rotation (and injuries) you don't know what youre going to get with Saints these days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Forster

Cedric Yoshida Bertrand McQueen

Davis Romeu PEH

Gabbi Long Tadic

Close call between Tadic and Redmond. I'd play Bertrand CB to combat the pace and movement of Defoe as Stephens struggled to stick with Carroll last weekend. PEH in midfield to make up for a lack of height. I'm not convinced about him, JWP or Clasie to be honest but one of them has to play.

This is a man's game in men's conditions - no place for kids like JWP. Claude needs to tell Reed where to stick his academy quota today and save his own skin. PEH definately should feature for height and power. Stephens has to play but at least is 23. Romeu needs to focus on screening the back 4. Would be hugely delighted with a point today, would consider it almost an upset in our current slump. We will need the same effort, pressing and focus as Anfield.

Forster

Davis Romeu PEH

Gabbi Long Tadic

Close call between Tadic and Redmond. I'd play Bertrand CB to combat the pace and movement of Defoe as Stephens struggled to stick with Carroll last weekend. PEH in midfield to make up for a lack of height. I'm not convinced about him, JWP or Clasie to be honest but one of them has to play.

Not Tadic for this one. More than anyone he hates the cold.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Home banker.

Where once we had Fonte and Van Dijk we have Yoshida and Stephens.

Where once we had Wanyama and Schneiderlin we have Ward Prowse and Romeu

Where once we had Pelle and Mane we have Rodriguez and Redmond.

We've gone all in with a pair of 8s and are hoping 3 players have got less than that.

1) Still have Van Dijk

2) Romeu is as good as Wanyama imho

3)Austin and Boufal you mean, no one has ever said Rodriguez was the replacement for Pelle, nor Redmond for Mane.

Unfortunately I do have to agree, we've been left bare after the last transfer window (and the summer). No command in the middle of the park anymore.

We

Forster

Davis Romeu PEH

Gabbi Long Tadic

Yep. I like this team for today. Good call for Bertrand to watch Defoe - neutralise him and they have few other attacking options.

Like Shroppie, I'd go with Redmond to start instead of Tadic, who likes to be a hero so bring him on later to win it (or seal the victory).

3-1 Saints.

Be interesting to see what Puel can do now hes had some "coaching" the time.

Sunderlands last 10 games - L L W L L D L L D W

Imagine what can be done with an entire TWO WEEKS for the next match

It would be typical Southampton to lose at Sunderland but then go on to win at Wembley.

I just cannot see anything but a Sunderland win. They have nothing to play for other than their Premiership survival, which is everything. They will know our players will not want to get injured and risk missing the Cup final. They had a brilliant result against Palace last week and will be flying.

We are on a really poor run, we have a very soft centre, we cannot score goals and our players have only one thing on their minds...the Cup final.

I so hope i'm wrong....we need a confidence boosting win and no injuries. C'mon Saints!