Sunderland - Meltdown Warmup Thread

Lighthouse

The back five pick themselves as does Romeu.

Gabby looked good so should start so that's 7. Id like to see him with Tadic as he made intelligent runs behind the defence and Tadic should spot those. Although was Tadic injured or dropped on Saturday

Long has scored a couple so could be worth a start? IMO he needs a run of games but Gabby has taken that spot for now for me.

Will Boufal be fit?

Assuming 4 3 3...I'd add Clasie, Davis, Boufal and Tadic if fit.

Otherwise whatever random rotation of our players is fine.

We need a fast start like we did on Saturday and get an early goal.

The next step is to defend better, keep them out, and hopefully score a few more.

I wonder if Sunderland winning will play into our hands. They might attack a bit more then they would have done, and it'll be bit more open.

We need a fast start like we did on Saturday and get an early goal.

The next step is to defend better, keep them out, and hopefully score a few more.

I wonder if Sunderland winning will play into our hands. They might attack a bit more then they would have done, and it'll be bit more open.

--------

Shortly after we scored on Saturday, we won a freekick just outside our area, maya had his hands out trying to calm things down and take our time but someone tried to play a quick freekick, we lost the ball and Carroll scored. We just need to smarten up.

With Sunderland hitting a bit of form and JD scoring for fun I'm worried about this if Yosh gets caught ball watching again.

Sunderlands last 10 games - L L W L L D L L D W

Wouldnt call that hitting form?

They are poor at home too - only Palace and Swansea have picked up less home points that Sunderland this season

Firstly - fair play to any Saints fans making the trip up, engineering works on the train making it a very long journey for anyone looking to go via that method of transport, probably just as long by coach as well on a cold February day.

playing the team who are bottom of the team should be just what we need to help get some much needed points on the board, unfortunately our away results to the other bottom 4 clubs look like this.....

Crystal Palace 3-0 Saints

Hull 2-1 Saints

Swansea 2 - 1 Saints

i reckon we'll play for a draw and lose 1-0

Must win ?

Nah, I don't think so. Obviously I want us to - but I don't think it's a 'must win' game.

Watched the game on Saturday and we just weren't good enough on the day. We haven't scored all season and now with the VVD out - that has just compounded the situation. What I don't see, and haven't seen all season, is a team not trying. So we need a reaction and a good performance at least - if we get points, that's good, but I don't see it as a 'must win'.

What exactly do you mean by "must win"? "Must win" or what? They aren't going to sack Puel 2 weeks before a cup final at Wembley.

I was suggesting that we need to approach it in an aggressive manner and play to win, not set up to defend with the usual away game mentality.

Although he won't get sacked before the cup final, I think it's safe to say that a loss against the worst team in the PL will be factored into his job security come summer.

Sorry lads, but I'm with MLG on this one. If it's a 'must win' then surely there has to be a consequence to 'not winning'; eg knocked out of a cup, manager sacked, board under pressure, some sort of a protest etc etc.

For what it's worth, we'll probably not win on Saturday, there will be a massive meltdown on here, and our league position will look a shade worse; but personally I'd much rather win the cup final v Man Utd than a routine league game away at Sunderland.

Sorry lads, but I'm with MLG on this one. If it's a 'must win' then surely there has to be a consequence to 'not winning'; eg knocked out of a cup, manager sacked, board under pressure, some sort of a protest etc etc.

Indeed. Saturday's game isn't a "must win" per se. If we need a win on the last day of the season to stay up then that would be a "must win" (for example).

:)

We "must win" or we will be deaper in s**t

The "X" is the depth of the s**t

If you dont mind being knee deep in ***t then its not a "must" win

Personally i don't like even stepping in ***t and the thought of being knee deep in it would make me feel I "must" get out of this s**t

Keep saying "must" and it doesnt sound like a word anymore. Must stop saying must

We "must win" or we will be deaper in s**t

The "X" is the depth of the s**t

If you dont mind being knee deep in ***t then its not a "must" winu

Personally i don't like even stepping in ***t and the thought of being knee deep in it would make me feel I "must" get out of this s**t

Keep saying "must" and it doesnt sound like a word anymore. Must stop saying must

however you dont mind talking sh1t most of the time.

What I think he means by a "must win" is that psychologically it's a "must win" to try and raise the spirits of everyone. The manager, the players and the fans. Just to get more points on the board and not drop into relegation contention. Remember of the games left, we still have to play 7 out of the top 8 so points in games against the lower teams are essential, not just desirable. Also, what's this obsession with the league Cup final? Even with VVD there was always little or no hope of taking that one out. Now.......it's dreamland to expect to win that game and yes, I do remember 1976 vividly but this is a different era.

---------------Forster

--Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

----------Romeu Hojbjerg

---Gabbiadini Boufal Redmond

-------------Rodriguez

Granted, JRod was terrible for the most part against West Ham, but his ball for Barry's goal was a sublime piece of skill that neither Redmond nor Long is capable of. As he's had a run of games he's clearly been improving (last weekend aside), and Long has also shown he is better as an impact sub using his speed to get in behind tired defenders.

Ahh football cliches. What's everyone's view on a 'six pointer'? Do we really get 6 points? I'd say if so then we should really try hard to must win it.

I can't t remember talking about '4 pointers' in the old days. But 6 pointer is a good way of describing the tyranny of maths as your team could get equal with the team above, or be, quite literally, 6 points behind. I like this cliché.

Does anyone really expect our players to be up for this game??

I certainly don't, not in our last game before Wembley....no one will want to risk an injury and miss out on the biggest game of their domestic careers.

If WE had a manager like Sir Alex Ferguson then you could use the argument that the players will have to play for their cup final spot....we don't and they won't....the starting 11 for the cup final pretty much now picks itself.

I really really hope i'm wrong but I can see nothing but a loss, 2-0 Sunderland.