One goal wonders

doddisalegend

Ok trying to avoid the general Meh of our current season and looking at something a little more light hearted I was thinking about players who came to saints and managed one moment of brilliance before fading away into obscurity.

My first thought was Tadanari Lee an absolute belter of a first goal which was literally the high point (pretty much the only point to be fair) of his saints career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZKlAbyEXiY

I'm sure there must be others.

Tadanari Lee set up Rickie Lambert on the volley at the legendary 1-0 win at Leeds.

There's a great section on one goal wonders in the Matt and Franny 100 Great Goals DVD. Franny is in there of course!

Others include Mark Draper - cant remember any of the others but there were about 10 of them.

Tadanari Lee scored in the League Cup too I think, so technically not a one goal wonder...

There's a great section on one goal wonders in the Matt and Franny 100 Great Goals DVD. Franny is in there of course!

Others include Mark Draper - cant remember any of the others but there were about 10 of them.

Tadanari Lee scored in the League Cup too I think, so technically not a one goal wonder...

Don't remember it but you could be right.

Lloyd James' completely out-of-character 20 yd screamer away mid-week at Brentford, same game as Kelvin had a sensational evening in goal. And all in front of a packed away support on the terraces. For all those worrying about the R word a reminder that there is plenty of life and football beyond the PL.

(Unfortunately for the purposes of this thread wiki also records him as scoring a second goal against Exeter, I also saw that but it's not one that sticks in the memory).

Steve Basham scored one for us I thought we might really have found a player he had a decent career but never hit the heights!

Oddly Stuart Ripley only scored the one as well shame he turned out to be totally past it when we signed him I remember being vaguely excited by his arrival!

Edited by a1ex2001

Paul Tisdale scored just the one away at Man City the year they went down under Alan Ball. Was the same game Kinkladze walked through our entire midfield and back 4 to score. Also, I'm sure Mark Hughes just scored the 1 for us, in that awesome Newcastle 4-2 win when we scored 4 in about 10 min in the 2nd half?

Jermaine Wright scored once for us. Forget the game.

2-1 defeat at home to QPR in 2006 by looks of it. Game where Kelvin tried to shepherd the ball out for goal kick and got robbed on the byline for them to walk it in! Also, didn't realise that Jermaine Wright is Ian Wright's cousin

2-1 defeat at home to QPR in 2006 by looks of it. Game where Kelvin tried to shepherd the ball out for goal kick and got robbed on the byline for them to walk it in! Also, didn't realise that Jermaine Wright is Ian Wright's cousin

I think the goal was scored by the QPR lad that got killed in a car crash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd James' completely out-of-character 20 yd screamer away mid-week at Brentford, same game as Kelvin had a sensational evening in goal. And all in front of a packed away support on the terraces. For all those worrying about the R word a reminder that there is plenty of life and football beyond the PL.

(Unfortunately for the purposes of this thread wiki also records him as scoring a second goal against Exeter, I also saw that but it's not one that sticks in the memory).

He has joined the Ex-Saints Club at Exeter and seems to have replaced Oakley in midfield. Scored a decent 20 yarder on Saturday, but the celebration was as bad as his hairstyle.

Was that David Hughes?

Yes, he scored a couple IIRC and he set up MLT's "other" goal in the game against Blackburn when he scored that goal. Again if IIRC Paul Hughes, an ex-Chelsea player, was on our books at one point but I don't think he ever played.

Was that David Hughes?

Yes, he scored a couple IIRC and he set up MLT's "other" goal in the game against Blackburn when he scored that goal. Again if IIRC Paul Hughes, an ex-Chelsea player, was on our books at one point but I don't think he ever played.

Yes, I meant David Hughes.

Eljero Elia was another one game wonder.

God I forgot about him Newcastle away wasn't it? total crap after that. Funnily enough someone made a youtube video of his skills and goals in a saints shirt, complete with crap dance music, that features 3 minutes of two goals and practical no skills :lol:

Jermaine Wright scored once for us. Forget the game.

I think the goal was scored by the QPR lad that got killed in a car crash

Literally the only Saints goal I've ever missed due to being late for kick off as well. :(

And yes, Ray Jones scored for QPR (one of his 5 career goals) in that match on 30 September 2006 and died in August 2007 aged 19.

The Wayne Thomas, Cuco Martina and Paul Telfer goals were the ones that came to mind for me.

Lloyd scored a cracking goal for Exeter at the weekend.