Gallagher to Sunderland?

Saint Garrett

Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko Feb 5

Sunderland want Sam Gallagher. No matter what division in. Bit in paper.

Solent also reporting it. Not sure why we would let him go. Would be tempted to finally let JRod go in the summer and replace him with Gallagher, and let Long go and replace with a top striker....

Whats the chances.

He is into the last year of his contract this summer so unless we can convince him to sign a new contract which will require some sort of promise of first team opportunities then he will be sold. Amusingly Everton have been sniffing according to the press as well which would be a real surprise given how Koeman ignored him when he was here.

I think he'll be given a new contract, he's played well and can see JRod moving on as looks off the pace apart from the odd game.

Question is will he sign it or will he decide it's time to chance his arm elsewhere? I think your right if JROD moves on he will sign but if there isn't an obvious opening for him I can see him heading for the hills!

Would be madness to sell him.

I think he'll do well as cover to Austin next year who will need to be managed well given his injury record.

A front 3 of Boufal - Austin - Gabbi with Tadic - Gallagher / Long - Redmond as cover is pretty strong!

It would be shocking if we let him go. Clearly destined to be a good quality prem striker. His loan at blackburn is doing him the world of good and he is doing a fair bit to steer them out of a serious relegation scrap.

It won't be up to us with regards to letting him go the ball is in his court, he will be entering the last season of his contract and is coming off the back of a decent loan season so he is sure to get offers elsewhere. I hope he stays and being realistic I think he will but if I were him I'd be asking for a rise and some sort of game time promise.

He's developing well at Blackburn and my understanding is that he is highly thought of, hence the loan so there's no chance he won't be given a new contract and he really does have to be blooded into the first team next year. If the others who have come through are, he definitely must be. I expect he will be but I wonder how the rotation (and I hope Puel isn't here so it's moot) will affect him. It might help, but I suspect he will need a run of games. I do now expect JRod to go but equally I do expect, once he plays regularly, that he will be a very good player again. I can even see him going back to Burnley once they stay up and I agree he will need to have the opportunity to play a fair number of games.

If it were the case that Puel didn't rate him and a case of him or Puel I'd take him and not just because I have no time for the latter but because I think he has the makings of a very very good player and if he and Seager could play up front it would be great. I didn't used to rate Seager but I've started to see what it is that people like in him.

The funds from JRod may be needed to fund Gallagher's wages if he's getting a new deal. What can we get for JRod now? £10m?

Hmm... well id imagine the funds from Jrods wages getting taken off the books would do that unless that's what you were implying whereas I think Lallana's Left peg was saying the initial fee we get for him would be used on a CB.

Even if he doesn't sign a new deal, keep him as we will get a development fee if he moved at the end of contract. Nice to see Les Reed on the ball again though.

Don't think Les has dropped the ball here, Gallagher seemed to be going backwards until this loan to Blackburn got him firing again, people would have been quick to criticise if he'd signed a new lucrative long term contract last year. Not sure we will hang out for the development fee as it is such a lottery a bad season next year could see us get peanuts in compensation.

Don't think Les has dropped the ball here, Gallagher seemed to be going backwards until this loan to Blackburn got him firing again, people would have been quick to criticise if he'd signed a new lucrative long term contract last year. Not sure we will hang out for the development fee as it is such a lottery a bad season next year could see us get peanuts in compensation.

Understandable perspective but I'd still have tied a deal down by Nov and there were posts urging a new deal to be offered. Maybe Les did and Sam said no? Either way, I wouldn't sell him and hope that he repays club for supporting him through the dark days.

Oh and happy birthday Alex!

If it was Arsenal or Man U showing interest... but Sunderland?

Sam has scored a few against Championship defences granted but if like me you've been watching Channel 5 footie on Saturday's not many of his goals have been down to outstanding individual brilliance. A few of the Greaves variety in there.

I think the club sttod by him in difficult times, I hope he shows loyalty but there again the club might just take the money

Not really true Nick. Sam actually turned out for Saints the day his dad died but Koeman never even once spoke to him in the two years he was here. Hardly standing by him. He has worked v hard at Blackburn but Saints are showing no inclination in opening contract talks up to now.

Not really true Nick. Sam actually turned out for Saints the day his dad died but Koeman never even once spoke to him in the two years he was here. Hardly standing by him. He has worked v hard at Blackburn but Saints are showing no inclination in opening contract talks up to now.

More mismanagement by Reed. He has earned some credits for his strategy over an excellent few years, but this year seems as though he has been hitting the crack pipe.

Big summer striker wise. Decisions to be made on Jay, Austin and Long as well as Gallagher and possibly Seager too.

IMO would try to ship out Long and Austin and go back to the drawing board - both have too big a flaw in their game to be a long term bet.

Big summer striker wise. Decisions to be made on Jay, Austin and Long as well as Gallagher and possibly Seager too.

IMO would try to ship out Long and Austin and go back to the drawing board - both have too big a flaw in their game to be a long term bet.

I don't really trust us to make good decisions on strikers.

Yea right Charlie's only scored 9 goals this season in 16 app we could get so much better

NOT

If we let him go then it'll just about sum up Les Reed this season.

Agree. Strike force needs a total overhaul.

Yep. Best of luck to Rodriguez at Sunderland as well after that bid we accepted.

Great response to a daft post. J Rod to Sunderland is fine, doesn't want to be at SFC. Sam Gallagher to SAFC not fine. Would rather see a new deal offered and if not, we have a season out of him and take the development fee.

Great response to a daft post. J Rod to Sunderland is fine, doesn't want to be at SFC. Sam Gallagher to SAFC not fine. Would rather see a new deal offered and if not, we have a season out of him and take the development fee.

I've watched a lot of Sam this season, much improved player in a struggling team and Charlie Wayman is wrong, some of his goals are individual efforts (see the one v Wolves). I have a feeling this could end up as another big mistake if a contract is not offered sooner or later.

I've watched a lot of Sam this season, much improved player in a struggling team and Charlie Wayman is wrong, some of his goals are individual efforts (see the one v Wolves). I have a feeling this could end up as another big mistake if a contract is not offered sooner or later.

Hi FF - is he a back to goal - holds the ball and brings others in or a face to goal - playing along the line on the shoulder type of striker - from the little i've seen him play for Saints it was the back to goal type.

Hi FF - is he a back to goal - holds the ball and brings others in or a face to goal - playing along the line on the shoulder type of striker - from the little i've seen him play for Saints it was the back to goal type.

'Back to goal' centre forwards are history nowadays which is why Pelle had so many poor games.

Easy to mark and generally too slow to catch up with play and arrive in the box when the ball comes in.

'Back to goal' centre forwards are history nowadays which is why Pelle had so many poor games.

Easy to mark and generally too slow to catch up with play and arrive in the box when the ball comes in.

For his size Gallagher has some pace about him.

To me, he looks like a natural goal scorer and has played on the wing for U23's a couple of years ago.

I actually think he'd suit our style and would fit into a diamond.

I'd say from that comment above you have seen very very little of him.

So which is he? Cos if your right and, he is a back to goal type then perhaps the club will not offer him a contract as he is a dinosaur?

Lets be honest, as at the start of this season he wasn't worth a new contract. He had 2 years to go on this current one and had endured a very disappointing season last year, failing to get into a L1 team.

He has done really well this season which is great and Im sure Saints will be trying at the right time to offer him a new deal - to protect a value increasing asset if nothing else.

Can hardly blame them in this case for the action they have taken.

If Gallagher accept or rejects that offer when it comes is up to him.

In all seriousness, Gabbiadini already looks a better all-round player than any of our other strikers.

Given that, I would be happy enough with Rodriguez leaving and Gallagher coming into the squad. Not sure what Long's contract situation is. If that's winding down then I wouldn't be that fussed if he left and was replaced by a promising youngster as well.

I think the area that needs most attention in the summer (CB aside) is midfield.

In all seriousness, Gabbiadini already looks a better all-round player than any of our other strikers.

Given that, I would be happy enough with Rodriguez leaving and Gallagher coming into the squad. Not sure what Long's contract situation is. If that's winding down then I wouldn't be that fussed if he left and was replaced by a promising youngster as well.

I think the area that needs most attention in the summer (CB aside) is midfield.

Signed a new one this summer.

It's Saints, the contract will be last minute and he'll have already decided to f**k off by then, with the words "but we offered him a contract" ringing around the helmetforums.