Who is your favourite Saints player?

Nordic Saint

One's a natural goalscorer and the other is a constant trier, which fans always like. What's the surprise?

One is a naturally injury prone striker and the other is a non scoring striker.

Seems like a good bloke does Long but when he figures as people's favourite player in a PL side its not going to be an especially good one.

I find him extremely frustrating to watch because he has such little composure.

Seems like a good bloke does Long but when he figures as people's favourite player in a PL side its not going to be an especially good one.

Being good at football and being a fans favorite aren't always the same thing.

Favourites at the moment are Van Dijk and Romeu. One because he's our best centre back since Alderweireld and those two are the best in the division, and the other because he works his balls off and I've got one of his Europa League shirts. :)

Being good at football and being a fans favorite aren't always the same thing.

This is true, coincidentally my favourite two players are (arguably) our best two players though.

For a bit of balance I also like Cuco Martina for no particular reason other than he seems to be a little bit random and hilarious. Quite like Austin and Rodriguez for non-footballing reasons as well.

Austin is injury-prone yes, but also a natural goalscorer.

I am obviously aware Long doesn't have the best of strike-rates, but as many, many others have said the thread is about favourite players not best players. Ability of course plays a part, but so does commitment and effort and I think Long has contributed enough in terms of both categories to deserve a place as a favourite player.

Le Tiss (had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity game as a nipper) Niemi, Beattie going back a little.

Current lot either Tadic or VVD (though Boufal is an exciting watch!). Plenty of likeability amongst the squad mind.

Honourable mention for Billy Sharp. Class act all around, scored against Pompey and played a big part in our final promotion push. Genuinely smile every time he flashes up on soccer saturday as having smashed in another.

The turnover of our best players is so rapid now that.......

.....this is the weirdest season in over 50 years supporting Saints. We never know who will be playing from one match to the next, nor who will be gone by the next window. Revolving doors are frustating.

Weird that you're reluctant to call Van Dijk a "favourite", yet you considered Mane and Wanyama to be.

Not really. I thought that we'd keep Wanyama and Mane longer than we did. I've learned my lesson now. Van Dijk has been viewed as a player who is going to another club almost since he arrived. But there is another factor: he is obviously our best player but Fonte was a favourite player of mine for years and I always thought that his defensive partners, Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk got more than their fair share of the credit for our great central defence whereas Fonte was taken for granted.

Anyway, getting back on track, I've decided I do have a favourite current player. I mean you've got to have one, haven't you? It's part of being a football fan.

Ever: Channon

Now: Sims

In both cases I followed their progress through our youth system. I remember the first time I saw Channon in a reserve game I went home and told my Dad, I've just seen a brilliant player. He’s going to be famous one day. I felt the same way when I first saw Sims play. The thing about Channon is that no matter what other clubs he played for, and they included Pompey, he will always be remembered as a Saints player. It would be great if the same could be said of Sims one day or any other of our star players.

Not really. I thought that we'd keep Wanyama and Mane longer than we did. I've learned my lesson now. Van Dijk has been viewed as a player who is going to another club almost since he arrived. But there is another factor: he is obviously our best player but Fonte was a favourite player of mine for years and I always thought that his defensive partners, Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk got more than their fair share of the credit for our great central defence whereas Fonte was taken for granted.

Anyway, getting back on track, I've decided I do have a favourite current player. I mean you've got to have one, haven't you? It's part of being a football fan.

Ever: Channon

Now: Sims

In both cases I followed their progress through our youth system. I remember the first time I saw Channon in a reserve game I went home and told my Dad, I've just seen a brilliant player. He’s going to be famous one day. I felt the same way when I first saw Sims play. The thing about Channon is that no matter what other clubs he played for, and they included Pompey, he will always be remembered as a Saints player. It would be great if the same could be said of Sims one day or any other of our star players.

You must have been about the only one then...

You must have been about the only one then...

I seem to recall quite a number of fans though that the fact Mane had signed a 5-year-contract, meant he'd stay here longer than 2 years. I expected 3 years at least. But, experience has taught me now that if they're one of our best players and remain injury free, they're sold after just 2 years.

So, are you telling me that it's pointless to have Sims as a favourite player as he is going to be sold as quickly as Shaw and Chambers were?

Anyway, I would like to see a bit more continuity in our team and from what I've read on here so would some of my fellow fans while, admittedly, some others on here really don't seem to care who is in the team or even whether we win or lose.

I seem to recall quite a number of fans though that the fact Mane had signed a 5-year-contract, meant he'd stay here longer than 2 years. I expected 3 years at least. But, experience has taught me now that if they're one of our best players and remain injury free, they're sold after just 2 years.

So, are you telling me that it's pointless to have Sims as a favourite player as he is going to be sold as quickly as Shaw and Chambers were?

Anyway, I would like to see a bit more continuity in our team and from what I've read on here so would some of my fellow fans while, admittedly, some others on here really don't seem to care who is in the team or even whether we win or lose.

Mane and Victor had their agents hawking them around for a while before they left it was pretty clear to anyone paying attention they didn't see Southampton as a long term destination. We have plenty of players who have stayed around for a while Davis, Bertrand, JWP or Yoshida none of those float your boat Nordic.