When all fit, people's first 11

Avenue_Saint

.....................Forster

Soares--Caceres-VvD--Bertrand

.............Romeu--Hojbjerg

......................Boufal

Redmond--Gabbiadini---Tadic

If we played this way, I do think we would get the best from these players.

Thoughts?

Can't agree with Caceres as we've never even seen him play for us (plus he hasn't actually signed yet). Based on current form I'd also drop Forster.

McCarthy

Soares--Yoshida-VvD--Bertrand

Romeu--Hojbjerg

Boufal

Redmond--Gabbiadini---Tadic

-------------------Forster--------------------

Cedric----Caceres------VVD-----Bertrand

--------------Romeu-Hojbjerg-------------

Redmond---------Boufal-------------Tadic

-----------------Gabbiadini-----------------

Would love to see this against teams who are parking the bus. Possibly take Tadic out move Boufal left and stick Davis in the middle behind Gabbiadini if we're on the back foot.

Also based on Hojbjerg actually being decent, which has been a rarity this year. Would quite like to see him alongside Romeu in a 2 in DM, rather than a "box to box" midfielder which it seems we're trying to make him at the moment.

Based on our current formation and assuming the potential I've seen in Gabbiadini and Hojbjerg comes to fruition, I'd probably go with this:

-------------McCarthy---------------

-Soares--Yoshida---VanDijk--Bertrand-

--------------Romeu-----------------

-------Hojbjerg-------Davis----------

--Boufal------Gabbiadini--------Tadic--

However, I'd be interested to see how something like this would work:

-------------McCarthy---------------

-Soares--Caceres---VanDijk--Bertrand-

-----------Romeu---Hjobjerg--------------

---Boufal*-------Gabbiadini*--------Tadic-

------------------Austin--------------

* Would swap these two if Gabbiadini is decent cutting in from the flanks.

---------------Forster---------------

-Soares--Yoshida*---VanDijk--Bertrand-

---------------Romeu------------------

-------Hojbjerg--------Davis**----------

-----------------Boufal-----------------

-------Gabbiadini-------Jrod***-----------

* Replacment for Yoshida needed (possibly this new lad)

** Genuine box to box replacment for Davis needed

*** Need to find someone of similar mold to Jrod / Gabbiadini (i.e can pull out wide) to play in this position

McCarthy

Soares VVD Caceres Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg Davis

Gabbiadini Boufal JRod

Based on ability/capability not just someone's having a 'mare currently. Worrying how Gabbiadini gets in after only 1 game.

Not that worrying, he scored a belter on his debut and we spent £17m on him - more worrying if we had spent that money on him and after one game we'd all decided he wasn't better than what we have!

In our current 4-3-3 system, based on past and present form for the club as well as potential, I'd go with:

GK: Forster (Although his stock is slipping, haven't yet seen enough of any of our other keepers in a Saints shirt to lose his place. On thin ice though)

RB: Cedric

CB: Yoshida (Caceres is a more gifted player, but until we actually see him play for us Maya's done enough to be in the best 11 for now)

CB: VVD

LB: Bertrand

CDM: Romeu

CM: Hojbjerg

CM: Ward-Prowse/Davis (Davis offers more in terms of all-round game, but JWP's effort and performances have been better recently and his dead ball delivery is better than Davis' (JWP's famous deliveries have become a bit of a source Saints-related commentator bull**** bingo now though, which does make me chuckle as they aren't that amazing really)

IF: Boufal

ST: Austin

IF: Gabbiadini

I know Gabbiadini doesn't look like a winger per se based on his debut, but I'd be intrigued to see him as an inside forward type of wide-player cutting in from the right onto his left foot. He does have decent pace too. Also, our wingers don't tend to do much crossing, that responsibility seems to fall to our full backs, so he could get in the box for their crosses to near/far post.

Damn. Forgot Austin. Swap him out for Boufal. Boufal has good feet but I expect all footballers to have that (Davis has them too) so I'd expect more defending/hard work and for him to score regularly for him to replace anyone.

I feel like Davis doesn't get enough credit for his ability with the ball at his feet in terms of dribbling, as he is the best of our CM options at it. However, to say that Boufal's not on another level completely in this regard is doing him a disservice in my opinion.

I've got a lot of positions up for grabs. Gd incentive for the lads, impress me in the coming weeks and you can really nail a spot down!

I've got Virgin, Rand, Seesaws & Rommel nailed on. I'm still sort of on board with Four Star, but maybe this new French lad is better. I ain't seen him yet. Everyone else can fight it out!

Interested to see the discussion but it does show that almost all the positions in anyone's 'best XI' are interchangeable. This could confirm Claude's comment some months ago indicating that he has 'important' players but he doesn't know his 'First XI'.

Don't know why everyone's throwing Gabbiadini in when he's only played one game.

He actually got the ball in the net and looked more dangerous than most of our attacking players have managed all season in that one game. On that one performance he already looks a better option than most of our attacking players right now so If I had to pick a squad for a game tomorrow he is in. This might change after a few more games but right now he would get in my team over Long or Jrod.

Don't know why everyone's throwing Gabbiadini in when he's only played one game.

I put him in based on the one game I've seen, and added the caveat that he'd be in if he lived up to the potential he showed in that match. I imagine most have done the same.

-----------Forster----------

---Cedric---VvD---Bertrand

-----------Romeu-----------

Boufal---Hojbjerg----Tadic

Long-----Austin-----JRod

I've gone for 3-4-3, to use more of our attacking options.

Tough call on a few players (Davis, Yoshi, Redmond).

Jury's still out on Gabbiadini (and Caceres), so he's on the bench along with... well, the rest of the squad!

Forster

Cedric - Yoshi - Virgil - Berty

Romeu - Hojbjerg

Redmond - Boufal - Tadic

Gabbi

Says something really when our strongest 4 attackers have about 6 goals between them.

There's no denying that our record from attack is poor, but to exclude Austin's goals and include Gabbiadini's "paltry one goal" skews the truth a little more than necessary!

Well i'd argue that first 11 may vary depending on who & where playing. Sometimes i'd definitely put Redmond instead of boufal/tadic for his pace.

Weakest area is most definitely the final midfield slot where Hojberg hasn't made quite the impact we'd hoped for and Clasie's still something of an enigma.

JWP has been much improved this season though so had to put him in as putting another forward in just lopsides the team imo.

Forster

Cedric Yoshi VVD Bertrand

Davis Romeu JWP

Boufal Gabbiadini Tadic

Its very tough now on the attacking front.

Forster

Davis Romeu

Boufal Gabbiadini Tadic.

However replace Gabbiadini with Austin for certain games and same applies to Tadic and Boufal with Jay Rod Long and Redmond, sadly the love for Redmond will ensure players like Jay Rod and Long who deserve more playing time wont.

Its very tough now on the attacking front.

Forster

Davis Romeu

Boufal Gabbiadini Tadic.

However replace Gabbiadini with Austin for certain games and same applies to Tadic and Boufal with Jay Rod Long and Redmond, sadly the love for Redmond will ensure players like Jay Rod and Long who deserve more playing time wont.

Think we would be more effective with 10 outfield players.