• Romeu
    • Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Højbjerg
    • Long

The difference yesterday was someone who can score. All season i've been saying we are not that 'boring' but we can't put it in the net, which obviously is key in terms of entertainment. Yesterday I didn't see us playing any differently to many games this season, the difference is a striker who can make good runs and can finish. Goals = exciting. Quality up front = goals.

Yes indeed, but not just goals. Having a striker that can finish raises the confidence of the whole team, from back to front.

Good summary

Bit harsh on JWP I think

In my opinion worth more than a 4

Thanks.

You could be right. I probably scored him on the low side because I was frustrated seeing him go backwards from attacking positions. Without that, maybe a 6 (maximum)?

Maybe I was affected by the '0' rating by the original poster, not wanting to take the pee by being over-generous.

Leicester showing quite how difficult it is to "build on" success for clubs our size. Now only one point clear in 17th, with Liverpool, Arsenal and, excitingly, Hull to play in the league next.

You can't afford to keep your best players by paying them £100k a week and expect to keep progressing.

It is very strange....I am always wary of someone who tries to use "flowery" language and yet allows his grammar to let him down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I try it sometimes when I'm a bit drunk. It usually makes me look like a drunk twonk rather than a sober twit. Therefore, I beseech those among us to look upon, with utmost disdain any post I may construct bearing the trademarks of Dangermouth's somewhat tedious verbosity.

Hey, Fido, beer me again.

Edited by Ohio Saint
Miss-placed comma, Dammit!

Yeah, I try it sometimes when I'm a bit drunk. It usually makes me look like a drunk twonk rather than a sober twit. Therefore, I beseech those among us to look upon, with utmost disdain any post I may construct bearing the trademarks of Dangermouth's somewhat tedious verbosity.

Hey, Fido, beer me again.

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can't afford to keep your best players by paying them £100k a week and expect to keep progressing.

Also losing Kante was massive, look at the difference between them and Chelsea compared to both teams last year.

Nice to see Vardy screw up a chance near the end today. If a defender takes out his ankle soon I won't shed a tear.

Great result at this time. Confidence has been rock bottom. The first fifteen minutes were evidence of this. I said a couple of weeks ago that I could see glimpses of cohesion and understanding between players and saw quite a bit of it yesterday. I know who we played and their position in the league but after the current run of results I can take little off of the players performances. Forster is terrible at the moment. Back four did well as did the rest. All played to a standard that is to be expected. Seeing Tadic come alive again was heartening especially as Manalo has been brought in (albeit six months late).

As for Jay's supposed tantrum. He tossed his shin pads to what is probably a pile of stuff in the corner and moaned a bit. I don't read a lot in to that. I am not really fussed if he does want out. He was likely to be the first to go in that summer exodus and I'd put my house on his departure then but for the injury (England call up, hyped widely, valuable).

Thanks.

You could be right. I probably scored him on the low side because I was frustrated seeing him go backwards from attacking positions. Without that, maybe a 6 (maximum)?

Maybe I was affected by the '0' rating by the original poster, not wanting to take the pee by being over-generous.

I think he played some really nice one touch around the corner passes into the box a few times, more so than people seem to realise or remember

Gabbiadini seems to be having a bit of an impact. Nice win, though didn't get to see it all as it as wasn't available in Oz unless you watched it live. And staying up to watch Saints live has been pretty much impossible with the Mogadon that's been served up for most of the season. watched a three minute highlights package and pleased we got the job done. Let's qualify for Europe by winning the cup, and give Puel a shot at redemption. And that's all we will remember this season for then.

The difference yesterday was someone who can score. All season i've been saying we are not that 'boring' but we can't put it in the net, which obviously is key in terms of entertainment. Yesterday I didn't see us playing any differently to many games this season, the difference is a striker who can make good runs and can finish. Goals = exciting. Quality up front = goals.

Presumably you're referring to the style of football, and not the formation, where the change was blatant and the result evident.

The two DMs struggled for the first 20 mins, and in keeping with what Supersaint has said, Davis is going to struggle massively against better teams (defensively). He played okay today though, neat passing, a few bursting runs in the second half, but obviously light in the tackle when tracking back. I'm not really sure why I've gone off on a 'negative' tangent :p Ultimately, I guess I'm saying I'd prefer to see JWP/Hojbjerg there in future.

Anyway, I'm surprised there hasn't been too much talk about the first appearance in 4-2-3-1. I thought it was pretty telling/influential, particularly with Tadic central, playing some fantastic through balls. Rom was my MOTM. Gabby is looking like a class act (early days though). Special mention to Yoshida who was had near faultless performance, backed up by a solid Stephens.

What's the prognosis for the formation change? Anyone think we'll stay with it? Or was it a one off tactic for Sunderland? (which I wouldn't understand)

Sunderland were bloody awful second half and didn't actually create much. N'Dong, however, gave Romeu quite the run-around first half in the middle of the park and looked like he could be quite a threat, but disappeared entirely when Romeu got up to speed after the break. FWIW I thought Ward-Prowse somehow still managed to be awful almost all the way through, which was quite the achievement with us winning 4-0.

We notably had a bit of a 4-4-2 going on at times too, and Sunderland had completely stopped playing altogether by the 70th minute with every Saints player finding 10 yards of space all of the time. Their fans had mostly left by the 3rd goal, never mind the 4th.

As expected, as soon as we don't have a match every midweek we look like a much more effective and creative side. Anyone would think it was the schedule all along...

Edited by The9

Gabbiadini seems to be having a bit of an impact. Nice win, though didn't get to see it all as it as wasn't available in Oz unless you watched it live. And staying up to watch Saints live has been pretty much impossible with the Mogadon that's been served up for most of the season. watched a three minute highlights package and pleased we got the job done. Let's qualify for Europe by winning the cup, and give Puel a shot at redemption. And that's all we will remember this season for then.

He gives us the threat of a through ball even if we don't actually play it, which gives defenders more to worry about.

Presumably you're referring to the style of football, and not the formation, where the change was blatant and the result evident.

The two DMs struggled for the first 20 mins, and in keeping with what Supersaint has said, Davis is going to struggle massively against better teams (defensively). He played okay today though, neat passing, a few bursting runs in the second half, but obviously light in the tackle when tracking back. I'm not really sure why I've gone off on a 'negative' tangent :p Ultimately, I guess I'm saying I'd prefer to see JWP/Hojbjerg there in future.

Anyway, I'm surprised there hasn't been too much talk about the first appearance in 4-2-3-1. I thought it was pretty telling/influential, particularly with Tadic central, playing some fantastic through balls. Rom was my MOTM. Gabby is looking like a class act (early days though). Special mention to Yoshida who was had near faultless performance, backed up by a solid Stephens.

What's the prognosis for the formation change? Anyone think we'll stay with it? Or was it a one off tactic for Sunderland? (which I wouldn't understand)

I don't think Davis is a DM either however he is our Captain ( in the absence of VVD) and I think we'd miss his leadership on the pitch if we played Hoj or JWP instead. I guess in Saturdays formation you could swap JWP and Davis over but the advantage of JWP out a a bit wider is he can whip in a decent ball.

Anyone would think we actually beat a top side rather than the worst team in the league.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Just think of the fun you could have had on here if we had lost! We won away from home and scored 4 goals. What's not to like? Cheer up for goodness sake!

Just think of the fun you could have had on here if we had lost! We won away from home and scored 4 goals. What's not to like? Cheer up for goodness sake!

Of course its a good result but people calling for humble pie regarding Puel ?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day .

A little surprised at the reaction on here . Kinda shows how low expectations have fallen when beating the bottom side results in near euphoria .

Of course its a good result but people calling for humble pie regarding Puel ?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day .

A little surprised at the reaction on here . Kinda shows how low expectations have fallen when beating the bottom side results in near euphoria .

Or perhaps those with half a brain can see what he's actually trying to achieve now he has a mobile striker making telling runs and with a week on the training pitch and more to come now we don't have such a killer schedule.

With Boufal and Redmond either side, Barry up top and Tadic in the number 10 position we'll be fast and fluid. The 2 fullbacks are both excellent and we know about the issues at CB so the only really question is who partners OR?

Of course some would still prefer failure to justify their position.

Unlike the low brow

Or perhaps those with half a brain can see what he's actually trying to achieve now he has a mobile striker making telling runs and with a week on the training pitch and more to come now we don't have such a killer schedule.

With Boufal and Redmond either side, Barry up top and Tadic in the number 10 position we'll be fast and fluid. The 2 fullbacks are both excellent and we know about the issues at CB so the only really question is who partners OR?

Unlike the low brow

Sorry I stopped reading your post when you did your usual insults .

Unlike the low brow

Very true VFTT, Why some continue to fail to accept or understand is beyond me or is it just to suit their unmovable agendas?

Delighted to have been proved wrong. I think Gabba is showing himself to be the real deal and Stephens is growing into a very capable and comfortable CB. However, before we all get too excited, let's remember who we just played off the park. Yes, Sunderland - a team that has looked very poor at times, so let's be realistic but also content that on that performance there's little chance of us going down.

Delighted to have been proved wrong. I think Gabba is showing himself to be the real deal and Stephens is growing into a very capable and comfortable CB. However, before we all get too excited, let's remember who we just played off the park. Yes, Sunderland - a team that has looked very poor at times, so let's be realistic but also content that on that performance there's little chance of us going down.

There has always been zero chance of us going down. None. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Naff all.

Nice to see some humour. Reminded me of what this place use to be like before it went a bit soft.

Can't believe I've spent the last half an hour reading that... however it was quite amusing. Amazing how their opinions, much like those on here I suspect, change so much through the course of the game. "Gibson looks nails", "Januzaj has really turned up today!", "N'Dong bossing it" after 20 minutes; By the end - "Forgot Gibson was even playing", "God Januzaj has been poor today" and "N'Dong is soft as fk, gives the ball away and falls over".

:lol:

There has always been zero chance of us going down. None. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Naff all.

Of course there was a chance - crass arrogance to suggest otherwise based on the previous 6 games. And from that I don't mean the results necessarily, but the manner of the defeats. Did you watch the games - were you impressed?

Having a player who puts the ball in the net changes everyones view on the type of football played under Puel.

All those so called dull games with dull football would have been a lot dfferent had we scored goals. The feelgood factor of actually scoring makes the world of difference to fans matchday experience

Having a player who puts the ball in the net changes everyones view on the type of football played under Puel.

All those so called dull games with dull football would have been a lot dfferent had we scored goals. The feelgood factor of actually scoring makes the world of difference to fans matchday experience

Isn't that a bit like saying 'All those so-called dry days would have been a lot different had it rained'?

Yep, if we had won those games the posting on her would be miles different, i doubt we would have many saying " we won again but ffs, the football is not what i want to see"

Isn't that a bit like saying 'All those so-called dry days would have been a lot different had it rained'?

The style of football is a constant in his hypothesis. The only variable being goal chances converted. So, no, your analogy isn't comparing like with like. :)

Edited by trousers

@ Chez and 5 string. Thank you for the sensible replies. As to the remainder of you who were so kind to comment: I'm all ears as to my innumerable grammar faux pas from you as I wish to learn and no doubt you are ready and willing to dissect my 'flowery' language. :)

Chez. Yeah, I'll give you that on Cedric; I guess he just made it look too easy. I have been critical of JWP for a while now but do recognise he did more than I gave him credit for so will give him a 4. Like 5 string I think I was annoyed when we went backwards in the first minute when we were on the edge of their area and that probably coloured my view as did a couple more incidents. I think we won professionally, but within ourselves: even Paul Merson said it was a walk in the park for us.

5 String. Take out the 'Sunderland effect' and add 2 to the scores and that should put them where otherwise they might be. I agree that there was a settling-in period from us but I thought that was because of the difference in confidence between the two sides. Romeu (yes, for those who pointed that out) I will give a 7 to but having seen him at Man City this season am well aware he can perform even better against much better opposition.

Of course there was a chance - crass arrogance to suggest otherwise based on the previous 6 games. And from that I don't mean the results necessarily, but the manner of the defeats. Did you watch the games - were you impressed?

Not arrogance at all- just realistic. The relegation battle was always between the current bottom 6 teams - there is not a chance anyone from Bournemouth upwards will be going down. I'd be saying that even if we had lost.

We need to play 4231 from now on. Been banging on about it all season. We slaughtered them with a 4231. It could have been more than 4.

I'm generally happy with Puel, and I hope he will learn and continue with 4231 system. That being said if I was the manager at the start of pre-season I would put my house on the fact we would have more points in the league right now.

1st 20 was shocking but after that full control and played some great stuff.

Great to see 4-2-3-1 back and I thought the whole team played really well despite sunderland retreating after the fantastic 2nd goal. Great goal from the whole team.

Hope some lessons have been learned and we can look up from here.

The problem with basing things on 6 games is that they're based on 6 games.

We have never at any point this season looked bad enough to go down. Bottom half, probably but you've really got to be something else to go down. Just look at our defence when we ctually did get relegated. To a man they were dreadful, we'd have stayed up if any of them were as good as Yoshida.

There was no chance at all. None.

We were never going down this season. Not arrogance, just basic analysis of the available information.

@ Chez and 5 string. Thank you for the sensible replies. As to the remainder of you who were so kind to comment: I'm all ears as to my innumerable grammar faux pas from you as I wish to learn and no doubt you are ready and willing to dissect my 'flowery' language. :)

Chez. Yeah, I'll give you that on Cedric; I guess he just made it look too easy. I have been critical of JWP for a while now but do recognise he did more than I gave him credit for so will give him a 4. Like 5 string I think I was annoyed when we went backwards in the first minute when we were on the edge of their area and that probably coloured my view as did a couple more incidents. I think we won professionally, but within ourselves: even Paul Merson said it was a walk in the park for us.

5 String. Take out the 'Sunderland effect' and add 2 to the scores and that should put them where otherwise they might be. I agree that there was a settling-in period from us but I thought that was because of the difference in confidence between the two sides. Romeu (yes, for those who pointed that out) I will give a 7 to but having seen him at Man City this season am well aware he can perform even better against much better opposition.

No worries.

Re: Romeu - some players raise their games for better opposition. I think many professional players do that (in other sports, too). Didn't Fergie often complain that every ManUtd game was like a cup final because other teams always tried harder against them?

I think the first 20 was all about confidence - we were coming off the WHam shocker, they were bouncing after a 4-0 away win. The rest of the game (after we scored, especially) more than adequately demonstrated how good we actually are, and how bad they actually are. If only a match was 100 or 120 minutes long...

Nevertheless, "you can only play the opposition on the day" as an old coach used to say.

That's my take on this season, and last season too.Last season I thought our style of football was generally very poor , often pumping it up to Pelle.This season shares a lot of similarities with Poch 1st season, with the same complaints. Sideways, backwards passing, possession for the sake of it blah blah blah. Goals really do change people's perspective of what they see.

That's my take on this season, and last season too.Last season I thought our style of football was generally very poor , often pumping it up to Pelle.This season shares a lot of similarities with Poch 1st season, with the same complaints. Sideways, backwards passing, possession for the sake of it blah blah blah. Goals really do change people's perspective of what they see.

Give up the drugs.

Seriously You are complaining about our best ever finish and Poch's first season side ways and backward passing ....FFS .....completely the opposite.