Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 108

Thread: Les does it again

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    15,877
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Les does it again

    Keeps signing talented players.

    Had some doubts this season and not enjoyed all games but his running of a club is clearly second to none.

    Looking forward to Wembley

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,068

    Default

    Childish

  3. #3

    Default

    Adultish

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    10,724

    Default

    Cup win and a finish of 8th would arguably be our best season since 76?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Childish
    Brilliant. It's eating him up inside.



    Well done team, well done Claude, well done Les.

    Investment in a proper striker has paid off massively.

    Now on to the cup final that some of us wanted us to get to.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    15,877
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Childish
    Lol, tongue in cheek but also 100% accurate and probably a lot more mature than most threads and petty insults on here

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The 4th incarnation of me
    Posts
    4,086

    Default

    Just out of interest. If we won the cup, what's the minimum league finish you'd have taken before the season? 11th for me. I'd have said 11th place and a Cup win equals a good season. Anything higher is a bonus. Maybe my glass is half empty though.

  8. #8

    Default

    I bet on 10th pre season, purely based on signings, outgoings, other teams signings and the fact that at some point we would regress in our league standings for a couple of seasons.

  9. #9

    Default

    May have done well in bringing Gabbiadini in but doesn't cloud the f^ck up over CB's.

  10. Default

    Mane just scored again

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    May have done well in bringing Gabbiadini in but doesn't cloud the f^ck up over CB's.
    Bloody centre backs, keeping clean sheets away from home. Useless bar stewards

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mane just scored again
    another player we have Les to thank for?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    May have done well in bringing Gabbiadini in but doesn't cloud the f^ck up over CB's.
    Poch has fuked up not getting a replacement for vertonghen

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Just out of interest. If we won the cup, what's the minimum league finish you'd have taken before the season? 11th for me. I'd have said 11th place and a Cup win equals a good season. Anything higher is a bonus. Maybe my glass is half empty though.
    I have always said I'd take 17th if we actually won a cup. Finishing in a good league position is all well and nice but really unless you win a league it don't amount to much. Winning a cup final now that's something that lives with you forever.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Childish
    How's it any more childish than demanding Les gets sacked?

  16. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Poch has fuked up not getting a replacement for vertonghen
    Poch is the Manager, like Puel. Not like Les Reed. You understand that don't you?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Poch is the Manager, like Puel. Not like Les Reed. You understand that don't you?
    Yes but Puel is supposed to be a yes man but not like everyones favourite poch
    Thanks for pointing it out

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintZamboni View Post
    Bloody centre backs, keeping clean sheets away from home. Useless bar stewards
    I'd be inclined to see how they fare against stronger opposition than Sunderland before I relax about our current CB options. Lets hope they cope against all that the Mancs throw at them.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'd be inclined to see how they fare against stronger opposition than Sunderland before I relax about our current CB options. Lets hope they cope against all that the Mancs throw at them.
    True although Defoe has scored 14 goals this season (which I think outstrips any of our players ) so keeping him under wraps is no mean feet.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton Researcher Football Manager 2017
    Posts
    19,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mane just scored again
    A player Les Reed and his team spotted, sold for a fee rising to £38.5m to a significantly richer club.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...or-sadio-mane/

    Then signed another extremely talented player in Sofiane Boufal to replace him.

    Isn't that a good thing? I think it is. We are never going to be at the top of the football transfer food chain. Heisenberg you are delusional if you think we ever will.

    You also bizarrely think Reed wasn't the key football figure whilst Cortese was at the club. Cortese was not a football man, he hired Reed to make football decisions. Both Liebherr's, Cortese, Reed & all the managers deserve the credit for where we are as a club. Les Reed is a key part of our success, to be demanding he goes is utterly bizarre.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    A player Les Reed and his team spotted, sold for a fee rising to £38.5m to a significantly richer club.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...or-sadio-mane/

    Then signed another extremely talented player in Sofiane Boufal to replace him.

    Isn't that a good thing? I think it is. We are never going to be at the top of the football transfer food chain. Heisenberg you are delusional if you think we ever will.

    You also bizarrely think Reed wasn't the key football figure whilst Cortese was at the club. Cortese was not a football man, he hired Reed to make football decisions. Both Liebherr's, Cortese, Reed & all the managers deserve the credit for where we are as a club. Les Reed is a key part of our success, to be demanding he goes is utterly bizarre.
    We are just going to go round in circles and will just need to respect each others opinions and move on.

    You rate Reed, I dont. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. No dramas....

    Biggest issue for me is ambition and honesty - Reed has very little of each in my opinion.

    Under Cortese we lost AOC and Puncheon

    Under Reed we've lost Mopo, Koeman, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Alderweireld, Mane, Pelle, Big Vic and Fonte (VVD n Bertrand will likely leave this summer) thats a lot of talent to lose in a short reign.

    I think we will go backwards if Reed remains.

  22. #22

    Default

    Can't help but think it's a little premature to be saying Les has done it again after our first win in quite some Time.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    A player Les Reed and his team spotted, sold for a fee rising to £38.5m to a significantly richer club.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...or-sadio-mane/

    Then signed another extremely talented player in Sofiane Boufal to replace him.

    Isn't that a good thing? I think it is. We are never going to be at the top of the football transfer food chain. Heisenberg you are delusional if you think we ever will.

    You also bizarrely think Reed wasn't the key football figure whilst Cortese was at the club. Cortese was not a football man, he hired Reed to make football decisions. Both Liebherr's, Cortese, Reed & all the managers deserve the credit for where we are as a club. Les Reed is a key part of our success, to be demanding he goes is utterly bizarre.
    Sorry but Koeman told them to sign him, he was on koemans list of potential players when he came here as he saw him in action in a friendly against Bayern Munich, koeman I believe was a guest commentator for some Dutch Tv channel. I also feel that mane was worth a lot more money than what he went for same goes for Lallana.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Biscuits View Post
    Can't help but think it's a little premature to be saying Les has done it again after our first win in quite some Time.
    That's this place all over after we lose we get a whole load of drivel about the club being **** when we win the whole thing swings the other and everything is amazing. Heaven forbid people maybe look at things objectively and actually admit Les/the board/ the club can do some things right as well as ****ing stuff up sometimes and credit were credits due the new striker looks like a good bit of business so far.

    Still I can't talk it's Saturday night and I've got nothing better to do than come on here and watch the daily flame war ....now where did I put that oil.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSaint View Post
    Sorry but Koeman told them to sign him, he was on koemans list of potential players when he came here as he saw him in action in a friendly against Bayern Munich, koeman I believe was a guest commentator for some Dutch Tv channel. I also feel that mane was worth a lot more money than what he went for same goes for Lallana.
    Even if that was true, who recruited Koeman?

    I have enjoyed how the anti-Lesbians on this forum have slowly formed a new mythology that Ronald Koeman was some kind of anti-Reed sleeper cell and everything he achieved was entirely in spite of the director of football so is disregarded from the Les Reed achievements list. So that's okay then. Yep, it's only ever when things go badly that it ever has anything to do with Les Reed.

    God help these loons if we win the league cup and rally to a respectable finish in May. The logical gymnastics have been a sight to behold in recent weeks, but if those things do happen they'll be twisting and stretching like Dhalsim in Street Fighter 2.
    Last edited by CB Fry; 11-02-2017 at 07:56 PM.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton Researcher Football Manager 2017
    Posts
    19,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSaint View Post
    Sorry but Koeman told them to sign him, he was on koemans list of potential players when he came here as he saw him in action in a friendly against Bayern Munich, koeman I believe was a guest commentator for some Dutch Tv channel. I also feel that mane was worth a lot more money than what he went for same goes for Lallana.
    He was on both lists; Koeman's before he arrived & the club were also already monitoring Mane before Koeman was appointed. Koeman even stated this in an interview.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Even if that was true, who recruited Koeman?

    I have enjoyed how the anti-Lesbians on this forum have slowly formed a new mythology that Ronald Koeman was some kind of anti-Reed sleeper cell and everything he achieved was entirely in spite of the director of football so is disregarded from the Les Reed achievements list. So that's okay then. Yep, it's only ever when things go badly that it ever has anything to do with Les Reed.

    God help these loons if we win the league cup and rally to a respectable finish in May. The logical gymnastics have been a sight to behold in recent weeks, but if that happens they'll be twisting and stretching like Dhalsim in Street Fighter 2.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton Researcher Football Manager 2017
    Posts
    19,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We are just going to go round in circles and will just need to respect each others opinions and move on.

    You rate Reed, I dont. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. No dramas....

    Biggest issue for me is ambition and honesty - Reed has very little of each in my opinion.

    Under Cortese we lost AOC and Puncheon

    Under Reed we've lost Mopo, Koeman, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Alderweireld, Mane, Pelle, Big Vic and Fonte (VVD n Bertrand will likely leave this summer) thats a lot of talent to lose in a short reign.

    I think we will go backwards if Reed remains.
    Yet again you fail to concede the point when I point out to you that Cortese appointed Reed in 2010 to make football decisions. Cortese was not a football man, he delegated tasks to people who were experts in the departments of the business he was running. Reed has been making football decisions since 2010 at the club, Cortese relied heavily on him given Cortese had no real football experience.

    Talking about players that left under Cortese and then after Cortese left is daft. We have a significantly smaller income than the clubs that bought our best players... Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd & Spurs. It simply is not viable that the club can keep players that are good enough for & wanted by some of the richest clubs in the world. Your argument is a complete red herring and completely irrelevant. If Cortese somehow hadn't fallen out with Liebherr he wouldn't have been able to keep those players either, the club doesn't have the income needed to do so.

    All these thing are pointed out to you time after time. Yet you conveniently forget the rebuttals to your nonsense and trot out the same nonsense time after time. You likely will raise the same nonsense you've posted today in a few weeks.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    He was on both lists; Koeman's before he arrived & the club were also already monitoring Mane before Koeman was appointed. Koeman even stated this in an interview.
    Ah ok, I stand corrected, I only heard from a good friend that Mane's name was on koemans list before we bought him ( I was delighted as I had heard of him before and thought he was a good player), if he was on the "black box" then cool beanz

  30. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    If Cortese somehow hadn't fallen out with Liebherr he wouldn't have been able to keep those players either
    Cortese managed to keep top players even when we were in league 1 and the championship.

    Players were happy while cortese was here, hence why they left only after he left....and sharpish after he left too

    If cortese had stayed we'd be in more debt i dont doubt that (all clubs have debt) but wed also be seriously challenging the top 6 now and wouldn't have the same respect for the "top clubs" like Les does.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cortese managed to keep top players even when we were in league 1 and the championship.

    Players were happy while cortese was here, hence why they left only after he left....and sharpish after he left too

    If cortese had stayed we'd be in more debt i dont doubt that (all clubs have debt) but wed also be seriously challenging the top 6 now and wouldn't have the same respect for the "top clubs" like Les does.
    He's never coming back sweetheart. He's never coming back.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    10,693

    Default

    If we lose the cup final because of the centre backs he has still ****ed up.

  33. #33

    Default

    I do wish every result wasn't followed by a whopping amount of "I told you so" posts and threads, whichever way it may be.

    There's no denying Les Reed has put a lot of good things in place, deserves recognition for our recent continued success, and yes, has put a system in place that has allowed us to unearth some great players. However, if he misses an opportunity in one area (e.g. centre back) but delivers in another, it doesn't render any criticism of the former suddenly incoherent or incorrect.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post

    All these thing are pointed out to you time after time. Yet you conveniently forget the rebuttals to your nonsense and trot out the same nonsense time after time. You likely will raise the same nonsense you've posted today in a few weeks.
    To save you the time and effort, the guy talks absolute horseshyte, we all know that, I don't know why you bother to try to reason.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    3,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    He's never coming back sweetheart. He's never coming back.
    He's far too busy leading AC Milan (or whatever Italian giant it was who was desperate to give him a job) to another CL victory.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    3,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Childish
    Tadic linking up nicely with Les' new signing has put you in a bad mood I see.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If we lose the cup final because of the centre backs he has still ****ed up.
    Mate, if we lose another game, no matter what it is, there are people out there ready to whip him for it.

    To keep it brief, I believe he has made many, many more good decisions than bad ones during his tenure.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Yet again you fail to concede the point when I point out to you that Cortese appointed Reed in 2010 to make football decisions. Cortese was not a football man, he delegated tasks to people who were experts in the departments of the business he was running. Reed has been making football decisions since 2010 at the club, Cortese relied heavily on him given Cortese had no real football experience.

    Talking about players that left under Cortese and then after Cortese left is daft. We have a significantly smaller income than the clubs that bought our best players... Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd & Spurs. It simply is not viable that the club can keep players that are good enough for & wanted by some of the richest clubs in the world. Your argument is a complete red herring and completely irrelevant. If Cortese somehow hadn't fallen out with Liebherr he wouldn't have been able to keep those players either, the club doesn't have the income needed to do so.

    All these thing are pointed out to you time after time. Yet you conveniently forget the rebuttals to your nonsense and trot out the same nonsense time after time. You likely will raise the same nonsense you've posted today in a few weeks.
    Indeed, why is it allowed to happen, surely the repeat posting cannot be allowed to continue, isn't it trolling in most obvious form?

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cortese managed to keep top players even when we were in league 1 and the championship.

    Players were happy while cortese was here, hence why they left only after he left....and sharpish after he left too

    If cortese had stayed we'd be in more debt i dont doubt that (all clubs have debt) but wed also be seriously challenging the top 6 now and wouldn't have the same respect for the "top clubs" like Les does.
    Shut up you freaking idiot. Clubs came in for one player - AOC.

    Guess what Cortesse sold him. The one and only player that the top clubs were interested in and .....BANG he was gone.

    Oh and by the way he didn't get on with Lambert, so agreed to sell him to West Ham - Katrina pulled the plug on the deal. - I am not even close to being in the know, but that's what cam out of a conversation with his (Lamberts) old man in a bar in New York.

    You are sooooo full of sh!te it's funny ..... please keep going.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    1,703
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    I do wish every result wasn't followed by a whopping amount of "I told you so" posts and threads, whichever way it may be.

    There's no denying Les Reed has put a lot of good things in place, deserves recognition for our recent continued success, and yes, has put a system in place that has allowed us to unearth some great players. However, if he misses an opportunity in one area (e.g. centre back) but delivers in another, it doesn't render any criticism of the former suddenly incoherent or incorrect.
    Agreed.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exiled in East Anglia
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Childish
    Balance?

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSaint View Post
    Sorry but Koeman told them to sign him, he was on koemans list of potential players when he came here as he saw him in action in a friendly against Bayern Munich, koeman I believe was a guest commentator for some Dutch Tv channel. I also feel that mane was worth a lot more money than what he went for same goes for Lallana.
    Which higher bids did we turn down for Mané and Lallana?

  43. #43

    Default

    Not having a CB yet can still cost us in the league standings and prevent a thrashing at Wembley, yesterdays win now means we only need 8-10 points from 13 games to stay up so I do not think we will go down, but I would like to see us finish close to the top 8 as that is where we have been the last 3-4 years. if Les addressed the CB situation in Jan I would feel more confident of a win at Wembley and finish top 10.

    But if we do finish top 10 and win or give a very good account of ourselves at wembley and we see development in Stephens then yes it would be a good season for Les and us.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Even if that was true, who recruited Koeman?

    I have enjoyed how the anti-Lesbians on this forum have slowly formed a new mythology that Ronald Koeman was some kind of anti-Reed sleeper cell and everything he achieved was entirely in spite of the director of football so is disregarded from the Les Reed achievements list. So that's okay then. Yep, it's only ever when things go badly that it ever has anything to do with Les Reed.

    God help these loons if we win the league cup and rally to a respectable finish in May. The logical gymnastics have been a sight to behold in recent weeks, but if those things do happen they'll be twisting and stretching like Dhalsim in Street Fighter 2.
    I agree with Heisenberg's viewpoint. I also am not anti-Lesbian.

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cortese managed to keep top players even when we were in league 1 and the championship.

    Players were happy while cortese was here, hence why they left only after he left....and sharpish after he left too

    If cortese had stayed we'd be in more debt i dont doubt that (all clubs have debt) but wed also be seriously challenging the top 6 now and wouldn't have the same respect for the "top clubs" like Les does.
    Is that why Morgan wanted to leave January 2013 after interest from Serie A and Cortese promised he could leave summer 2014 for £10m, if he signed a new contract on more money?

    But, you know, whatever fits your agenda.

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGalpin View Post
    Is that why Morgan wanted to leave January 2013 after interest from Serie A and Cortese promised he could leave summer 2014 for £10m, if he signed a new contract on more money?

    But, you know, whatever fits your agenda.
    Precisely. The famous Morgan outrage tweet was entirely because the Italian had already capitulated to the player and bigger clubs and already agreed to sell him. It was the new regime that had the balls to say no.

    Cash-in Cortese had already flogged the Ox, was flogging Lambert against his will and had sold Morgan before anyone had really bid. No evidence to suggest the sell sell sell mentality wouldn't have continued.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If we lose the cup final because of the centre backs he has still ****ed up.
    I can ***** with the best of them but the final is a one off game anything can happen we're there and if we for some strange reason don't win I'd hope we wouldn't be pointing fingers at who's fault it was we lost it !

  48. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    I can ***** with the best of them but the final is a one off game anything can happen we're there and if we for some strange reason don't win I'd hope we wouldn't be pointing fingers at who's fault it was we lost it !
    Don't be stupid, there's no chance of a no fault defeat on here . It'll be Les, Puel or Blacks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #49

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exiled in East Anglia
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Don't be stupid, there's no chance of a no fault defeat on here . It'll be Les, Puel or Blacks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Otherwise referred to as the same group that oversaw/masterminded us getting to the final....something so many clubs would love to see in their lifetime!

  50. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Precisely. The famous Morgan outrage tweet was entirely because the Italian had already capitulated to the player and bigger clubs and already agreed to sell him. It was the new regime that had the balls to say no.

    Cash-in Cortese had already flogged the Ox, was flogging Lambert against his will and had sold Morgan before anyone had really bid. No evidence to suggest the sell sell sell mentality wouldn't have continued.
    The whole tantrum was because he had what he thought was a gentleman's agreement that he could go, but Les is definitely the one who made him leave. Les even got 250% more than that initial £10m, what a foolish thing to do

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •