League Cup Final Build Up Thread

View From The Top

Talking to a mate this afternoon who follows Man Utd who reminded me that to them a) it's only the league cup which hardly gets a mention in Uniteds honours list and b) to United fans this will be the 4th time within 12 months they've been at Wembley with FA Cup semi final / FA Cup final and Community Shield all recent for them. It's not really a special occasion.

I think this will help us in some way , our players should want it more who knows when they'll get the chance to play there again.

Just seen Sky's advert for the Cuo Final and as to be expected it's all about United and The Special One with us getting a few seconds at the end of the ad.

Shades of '76, step forward Dusan Tadic, my tip to be the Saints hero :)

"It's all about the occasion stupid!" (No, not you beatlesaint). Guaranteed this will be the Rooney Final as will be the pre match obligatory interview with Laurie MacMenemy even 'though he knows sod all about the modern Saints. Nobody is interested in the football or the nonentity little club from the south coast.

Lots at green man, but anywhere near wembley will be loads of fans in the pubs (the beer is **** though)

Our plan start central from 10am then work up to wembley for about 1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can take an hour to get served in the green man on match days

"It's all about the occasion stupid!" (No, not you beatlesaint). Guaranteed this will be the Rooney Final as will be the pre match obligatory interview with Laurie MacMenemy even 'though he knows sod all about the modern Saints. Nobody is interested in the football or the nonentity little club from the south coast.

Good - 'tis the way we like it. It was all about klippity in the semi final and that's what made it all the sweeter

Still slightly in shock that our next match is at Wembley in a major final. There's something about those words that just don't make sense to me, maybe it's the fact that in 30+ years i've only seen in us in 1 of them (2003) or maybe it's just that the reality won't really hit until i walk into Wembley on the day of the game.

So many different feelings going on right now, nerves, excitement, pride, and it's still a week away, god knows how i'm going to get any sleep the night/week before!!

As for the result i feel more confident than i did a few weeks back, no idea why really but the addition of Gabbi is definitely a part, though my problem is i just can't see our backline holding out Rooney/Ibrahimovic for 90mins.

I really don't want to call this as a United win but i just can't see another result as things stand, losing VVD is too big a loss and Stephen's/Yoshida will have to play the games of their lives to get us through without conceding (plus Forster has to sort his concentration out).

I'm going to go for a pessimistic 2-1 to United with us having drawn level, but i'm not going to stop that letting me believe right up till the point the final whistle, and too sing my heart out for the lads.

Has anyone started talking boozers yet?

The 6 of us are wondering where most saints fans will be

EFL Cup Final 2017

Southampton v Manchester United

Sunday, 26th February 2017

(Kick-off 16:30)

Pub and bar information

(TBC & Maybe Subject To Change)

We strongly recommend checking the supporter/pub allocations with the venues in advance.

West Side (Wembley Central): Southampton

Blue Room, Flannery’s Bar, J.J. Moon’s, Masti, Moore Spice (1966), Powerleague, Station 31, The Arch, The Copper Jug, The Corner House, The Fusilier, The Green Man, The Liquor Station, Thirsty Eddie’s

East Side (Wembley Park): Manchester United

Blue Check Cafe, Crystal Nightclub, First Class Sports Bar, Flyers Last Stand, St Josephs Social Club, The Crock of Gold, The Parish, The Torch, The Wembley Tavern, Watkin’s Folly

I think Gabbiadini could be our secret weapon. He'll be brimming with confidence and Man Utd will know relatively little about him as presumably they've not faced him previously. He'll relish playing in a cup final at Wembley and should find plenty of pockets of space on the big playing surface. Manolo could be our match winner. The flip side is that VVD will be a huge miss but with a little luck on the day I think we could upset the odds and come away with the trophy.

I think Gabbiadini could be our secret weapon. He'll be brimming with confidence and Man Utd will know relatively little about him as presumably they've not faced him previously. He'll relish playing in a cup final at Wembley and should find plenty of pockets of space on the big playing surface. Manolo could be our match winner. The flip side is that VVD will be a huge miss but with a little luck on the day I think we could upset the odds and come away with the trophy.

Fake news, Wembley's penalty areas aren't 20% bigger than those found on regular grounds.

As a kid born in '88, I've only ever known Saints to be relatively rubbish up until very recently. All the others at school supported the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool but I never went through that weird stage as a kid (some of which are making up our group of 10 or so lads going to the final, they saw sense in early teens!) I've been Saints through and through though since I was old enough to walk and had a ST since I was 5. Block Q, Row 4 seat 197 at the Dell. Happy times. I can remember crying my eyes out whenever Saints lost, and it made for a pretty miserable childhood watching them, bar MLT. I went to Cardiff in 03 but at 15 I couldn't really do the day as I'd have liked.

Having done pretty much every game home and away with the same 6 or 7 lads since L1, this game means everything to us. We are all now at the perfect age to appreciate what this means, and to know where we've been over the last 10 years to get there. Yes it's only a League Cup final, but the fact it means this much is exactly why I pity any glory hunting, armchair sitting big 4 club 'fan' who cheer on another premier league win through their TV every year. It'll be a proud day for the club, our brilliant city and 31,000 other Saints, and I can't wait to experience it with the same fellas who I go with every week.

Up the Saints.

As a kid born in '88, I've only ever known Saints to be relatively rubbish up until very recently. All the others at school supported the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool but I never went through that weird stage as a kid (some of which are making up our group of 10 or so lads going to the final, they saw sense in early teens!) I've been Saints through and through though since I was old enough to walk and had a ST since I was 5. Block Q, Row 4 seat 197 at the Dell. Happy times. I can remember crying my eyes out whenever Saints lost, and it made for a pretty miserable childhood watching them, bar MLT. I went to Cardiff in 03 but at 15 I couldn't really do the day as I'd have liked.

Having done pretty much every game home and away with the same 6 or 7 lads since L1, this game means everything to us. We are all now at the perfect age to appreciate what this means, and to know where we've been over the last 10 years to get there. Yes it's only a League Cup final, but the fact it means this much is exactly why I pity any glory hunting, armchair sitting big 4 club 'fan' who cheer on another premier league win through their TV every year. It'll be a proud day for the club, our brilliant city and 31,000 other Saints, and I can't wait to experience it with the same fellas who I go with every week.

Up the Saints.

Very refreshing to see when someone "gets it" :)

Up the Saints.

Brilliant post, exactly the same boat for me.

Fake news, Wembley's penalty areas aren't 20% bigger than those found on regular grounds.

Well surely we all know that penalty areas are a standard size on football pitches. The overall playing surface at Wembley is bigger than all but Old Trafford and The Etihad Stadium. Gabbiadini will not spend the whole 90 minutes in the penalty area so I'm missing the point you're making.

Up the Saints.

That is fkn beautiful. I mean that sincerely.

Up the Saints.

I get that totally.

My story is a wee bit different to how I'd like it to be as I won't be able to go with the fellas I'm been going with for over 20 years.

When I moved up north 22 years ago I met, through the now defunct Midland Saints, 2 lads, 1 of whom posts on here, Corky Morris (and his dad hasper57saint) and @waggywagman who is on twitter.

Home and away we've dragged our sorry arses up and down the country from Newcastle to Plymouth, Carlisle to St Mary's, week in, week out for 21 years. We always had a great laugh as well as a few beers, often at a time when getting any Hampshire based fans to travel north of Villa Park was a major achievement. We've seen us go through uni, been to each others weddings, helped each other through the dark times of family death, serious illness & imprisonment, had kids, grown middle aged and contented but always been mates. We've had season tickets together, taken our kids since they could kick a ball, right up to this year when our kids own sporting endeavours have taken centre stage so the season tickets finally went, mine a couple of years ago, Corky's this year. Waggy due to his own sporting commitments now does a handful of away games a year.

So, alas, despite 21 years of going together, watching us get relegated twice together, being there together in our rise we won't be together at Wembley. My son and I will be, we secured our tickets via Northern Saints, Corky missed out as he has only 3 homes and 3 aways and Waggy knew we'd not get one, but as he said, he had Anfield when 1000s missed out because they didn't go because they though we'd lose.

So Wembley is bitter sweet for me. I'll have my lad with me, nearly 15, already a 10 year vet with around 60 grounds done which makes it very special, but I'll not be with my mates who I've laughed with, argued with, fallen over seats with in stupid celebrations with, frozen on terraces with, stood in stunned silence as MLT smashes in another screamer with, been sat in a stinking car full of Saturday morning beer and kebab farts with and who are Saints to their soul. So whilst it'll be wonderful, it won't be perfect, even when we do win.

, but as he said, he had Anfield when 1000s missed out because they didn't go because they though we'd lose.

Sorry to hear that but can I point out I didn't go to Liverpool due to budgetary constraints. I thought we'd get to the final and that's going to cost a bit.:-)

I shall be on my own as most of my usual crowd aren't going due to age and illness, but that won't stop me. Most of the away games I've been to have been on my own: Newcastle last year, O.T. this, but I do remember kebab fumes in my younger days...

Well surely we all know that penalty areas are a standard size on football pitches. The overall playing surface at Wembley is bigger than all but Old Trafford and The Etihad Stadium. Gabbiadini will not spend the whole 90 minutes in the penalty area so I'm missing the point you're making.

Old Trafford and the Emirates don't have bigger playing surfaces than St Mary's. They are exactly the same size and St Mary's is the same as Wembley.

In 2012 the Premier League implemented a pitch size rule that all clubs must meet if their stadium allows... 105m by 68m ​St Mary's is at that side, as are the majority of clubs, any others are smaller, none are allowed to be bigger.

Old Trafford and the Emirates don't have bigger playing surfaces than St Mary's. They are exactly the same size and St Mary's is the same as Wembley.

In 2012 the Premier League implemented a pitch size rule that all clubs must meet if their stadium allows... 105m by 68m ​St Mary's is at that side, as are the majority of clubs, any others are smaller, none are allowed to be bigger.

Cheers Geoff

What we saying about the trains?? I know JPT was an absolute nightmare but we did take an extra 10,000 and it was an earlier kick off?

I'll be getting train up from fareham at 8:45am

We're not bothering and have hired a mini bus. They'll be queues outside Central & I dread to think what Parkway will be like because there's buses to there from Poole, Bmth direction as there's no trains until Brock . Add in an England Rugby match and it's not going to be pretty, particularly trying to get home.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Hesketh, Boufal and Clasie have all scored their first goals for the club in our run to this final, so i'm going with a Cedric, Stephens, Sims or Hojbjerg winner! Also think JWP finally is well worth his place in the team for our next game, would love him to really make a name for himself in the final.

Due to financial constraints, I can't go. The worst is that I can't take my 6 year old son either.

I'm absolutely gutted about it.

However it made the cousins day when I offered them my tickets so at least something good has been done.

Will there be any pubs in Southampton showing it? I might just go to my local but being in town with a load of other fans who also couldn't go would be better

We're not bothering and have hired a mini bus. They'll be queues outside Central & I dread to think what Parkway will be like because there's buses to there from Poole, Bmth direction as there's no trains until Brock . Add in an England Rugby match and it's not going to be pretty, particularly trying to get home.

Always the option of going via Reading/Paddington for a quieter route.

And for those on the east of the city, jump on the train from Hedge End.

First major cup final at Wembley in my lifetime (2003 at Cardiff; JPT & ZDS don't count), looking forward to it immensely. Going on holiday for a week and due back on the Saturday - it was the Sunday until I changed my flights!

As much as I will try to enjoy the holiday, I'm already feeling anxious about something going wrong with the flights and somehow not making it back..

Always the option of going via Reading/Paddington for a quieter route.

And for those on the east of the city, jump on the train from Hedge End.

Even better, drive 5 minutes further East and get on at the people's Republic of Botley! Guaranteed a decent seat (treat yourself and lump the guard an extra fiver for first class via the SWT weekend upgrade offer) as have a feeling Hedge End will be packed (Botley has a bigger platform so tonnes of room). Frankly travelling from Central any time after 8am will be chaos. Pity anyone having to get on at Winchester as well!

Personally we're going to give that a miss and doing a Hostel in Borough the night before and night of the game.

I've just received an email from the club that is headed "Wear your colours for Wembley". When I clicked on to the link it took me to the Official Online Store, where I could purchase the Saints replica shirts. Great I thought. There was the home kit, the away kit & the goalkeepers kit. But correct me if I'm wrong, Saints are playing in the 3rd choice kit at Wembley, which is white shirts. The club have missed a big money making opportunity here. But what do I know!

I've just received an email from the club that is headed "Wear your colours for Wembley". When I clicked on to the link it took me to the Official Online Store, where I could purchase the Saints replica shirts. Great I thought. There was the home kit, the away kit & the goalkeepers kit. But correct me if I'm wrong, Saints are playing in the 3rd choice kit at Wembley, which is white shirts. The club have missed a big money making opportunity here. But what do I know!

It's a great kit and they certainly would have sold at least a few thousand. I just don't think they had enough time to get in manufactured etc.

I was 11 years old in 76 and didn't go to Wembley, my dad did with his mates. My mum decided that Southampton would be deserted on that May afternoon and took me out shopping instead!!!!

I lived in Lordshill back in those days and my memories live long in my heart as i was running home from the bus stop as fast as i could when suddenly as i got close to my house one of my friends flew out of his front door screaming we had just scored. I got to watch the last few minutes and went crazy with joy.

The next few hours were spent with my mates on Lordshill Way waving our scarfs wildly at passing traffic that honked their horns back at us. Fantastic time, such excitement and joy.

Yes we have been back to Wembley a few times since and my greatest memory was being there for the Johnstone player trophy with my eldest son and my wife and wildly celebrating a Saints win at Wembley and seeing Markus with his camera.

Us Saints fans know how to enjoy the occassion, the Manchester fans will never understand it.....I really hope we win on the 26th, not just because i want us to but so every current fan gets to understand the sheer joy i had as an 11 year old back in 76!

Up the Saints.

Exactly this. As a fellow '88 the only time I've been close to something like this was our promotion game against Coventry, which was a very special day for me. I've been to my fair share of awful matches home and away from league 1 back up to the prem, so although it sounds a little stupid to say, we've earned this. Win or loose, I'll be a very proud Saints fan on the 26th.

Edited by Jai27

I don't want to stamp on your dream jimmy but you sure you were there? We wore red and white stripes when we won at Wembley, the sash kit didn't come out until the season after.

As for the game, Its also my 40th on cup final day and a watching us win our second major trophy in our history would be amazing. By coincidence the day when I was born we had an FA cup fifth round tie at the Dell, our opposition? Man united.

We got relegated by Man Utd on my birthday. I guess some of us are born lucky ;-)

The Globe pub opposite baker st was great for JPT and if it is crap you have 100s of options around there. Not going to head till wembley until mid afternoon, sh!t around there.

The Globe is an expensive shît hole with crap drink, avoid. Opposite is Wetherspoons.