League Cup Final Build Up Thread

View From The Top

Huge. Let's lay off the negativity for 2 weeks at least. We shouldn't take days like this for granted as they don't come round very often. Cover that end of Wembley in flags and banners hung over the tiers, hang bedsheets over bridges on the M3 and make as much noise as you can. Up the Saints.

Huge. Let's lay off the negativity for 2 weeks at least. We shouldn't take days like this for granted as they don't come round very often. Cover that end of Wembley in flags and banners hung over the tiers, hang bedsheets over bridges on the M3 and make as much noise as you can. Up the Saints.

This

I remember going up to Wembley on the M3 in 2010. Each bridge packed with people waving us on, cars packed with red and white scarves hanging out of the windows. Tube in London packed with Saints fans.

Just this!

We need to find a way of neutralising Ibra and Pogba (easier said than done) but if we can limit their influence on the game we've got an excellent chance.

I think we start the same team as today only query, as above, is whether we start Hoj or Clasie over JWP to give us a bit more steel in the tackle but JWP has been good recently.

We should have decent options with Long, JRod and Boufal (if fit) on the bench if we are chasing the game.

Didn't feel real until there was a buildup thread on SaintsWeb! Can't bloody wait. I'd like to see today's team with Boufal for Redmond, though I don't know if he's best used out wide. Valencia will be a threat.

Would start Redmond and bring Boufal on if we need him. Redmond played very well today and was brilliant against Liverpool in the away semi. He deserves to keep his place I think.

Agreed.

Can't get the white kit, the Sash kit is the closest one I have, and we won at Wembley the last time I was there wearing it too :)

I don't want to stamp on your dream jimmy but you sure you were there? We wore red and white stripes when we won at Wembley, the sash kit didn't come out until the season after.

As for the game, Its also my 40th on cup final day and a watching us win our second major trophy in our history would be amazing. By coincidence the day when I was born we had an FA cup fifth round tie at the Dell, our opposition? Man united.

A bit more confident after today. I think with United's fixtures and the fact that they are facing a right bun fight to get a CL spot mean that we may want it more, be better prepared and fitter than them on the day. Gabbiadini is on fire so that gives us a real puncher's chance. I just hope the CB situation doesn't prove to be our undoing.

I don't want to stamp on your dream jimmy but you sure you were there? We wore red and white stripes when we won at Wembley, the sash kit didn't come out until the season after.

As for the game, Its also my 40th on cup final day and a watching us win our second major trophy in our history would be amazing. By coincidence the day when I was born we had an FA cup fifth round tie at the Dell, our opposition? Man united.

Huh, you're right of course.

Guess this is how people that get the Man Utd grey kit/6-3 games mixed up feel!

In any case, The sash kit is still the one to go with this time I reckon :)

I'll be there with my lad and I'm fully expecting for us to be watching our club lift the cup.

I cannot wait.

Agree with the excitement / anticipation for the occasion but I'm definitely not expecting us to lift the trophy, got to go into the game with an underdog mentality , we've got no right to win it when you consider the fact we'll be missing Van Dijk and other important players but that might take the pressure off a bit which might help the younger lads cope with the occasion.

Liverpool away semi final is one of my all time Saints memories now , would be magic to go and top that and lift the silverware, this generation of Saints fans who missed late 70s / early 80s deserve it.

How are we expecting us to set up?

I would not be surprised to see a repeat of the same ethos as Liverpool away. Sit deep and hit on the break. With Gabbiadini providing a more clinical forward option, it could be an idea? Or would it leave us as sitting Ducks to Ibrahimovic/Martial/Mata?

I would not be surprised to see a repeat of the same ethos as Liverpool away. Sit deep and hit on the break. With Gabbiadini providing a more clinical forward option, it could be an idea? Or would it leave us as sitting Ducks to Ibrahimovic/Martial/Mata?

Any other approach without VVD would be madness. Sit deep, defend well, be organised and take a chance when it comes. And if we do get in front then we have the perfect sub to come on and kill the game on the break.

A massive occasion and I can't wait to see us playing at Wembley in a major final

Agree with the excitement / anticipation for the occasion but I'm definitely not expecting us to lift the trophy, got to go into the game with an underdog mentality , we've got no right to win it when you consider the fact we'll be missing Van Dijk and other important players but that might take the pressure off a bit which might help the younger lads cope with the occasion.

Liverpool away semi final is one of my all time Saints memories now , would be magic to go and top that and lift the silverware, this generation of Saints fans who missed late 70s / early 80s deserve it.

I said to my lad during the Arsenal game that we'd win it and that belief has never wavered.

I think the best approach is to sit deep and be patient.

They play three times before the final so hopefully, we will be fresher and in the second half that can show as they start to tire.

i remember on the train up everyone was a bit doom and gloom for us to lose to Liverpool but I said we will win.

have the same feeling for this,

remember in cup finals we've played united once and won,so unbeaten to them at Wembley.

absolutely buzzing for this.

hope your old man is going.

lets get behind the lads like at anfield and we can do this.

up the saints

Nice. Most definitely this. Buzzing for this.

Wonder if we'll set up like we did against Liverpool, as in sit deep and soak it all up hoping for a counter attack. Their attacking quality suggests we may, but they're not as vulnerable defensively so one and two man attacks may not have the desired effect like it did at Anfield. Will be interesting.

Got to be the same personnel as today:

--------------Forster-------------------

Cedric--Stephens--Yoshida--Bertrand

----------Romeu---Davis--------------

--JWP---------Tadic---------Redmond

-------------Gabbiadini----------------

With Boufal, Long and Clasie/Hojbjerg to come on at some point.

Boufal for JWP and I think we've actually got a chance.

Got to be the same personnel as today:

--------------Forster-------------------

Cedric--Stephens--Yoshida--Bertrand

----------Romeu---Davis--------------

--JWP---------Tadic---------Redmond

-------------Gabbiadini----------------

With Boufal, Long and Clasie/Hojbjerg to come on at some point.

i would love to keep the 4-2-3-1 with Boufal as the #10, tadic left, Redmond right

I'm with many others on this site. Here is an opportunity to win a major trophy and re qualify for Europe. Let's enjoy this ... I just woke up and had had a dream so vivid I thought it was the morning after the game. Saints were 3-0 up in the final, 2 of those goals coming late on as UTD pushed for an equaliser. 3-0 90th minute, Utd have a player sent off at 3-1 for abusing the ref and then get another quick goal to make it 3-2 but we hang on.

Here is hoping

I'm with many others on this site. Here is an opportunity to win a major trophy and re qualify for Europe. Let's enjoy this ... I just woke up and had had a dream so vivid I thought it was the morning after the game. Saints were 3-0 up in the final, 2 of those goals coming late on as UTD pushed for an equaliser. 3-0 90th minute, Utd have a player sent off at 3-1 for abusing the ref and then get another quick goal to make it 3-2 but we hang on.

Here is hoping

united haven't lost for god knows how long. We aren't going to be 3-0 up in the cup final.

united haven't lost for god knows how long. We aren't going to be 3-0 up in the cup final.

Man Utd haven't lost in the league since a 4-0 loss to Chelsea in late October. But since then they have lost to Fenerbahce, and to Hull City (EFL second leg). We were bigger underdogs in '76. Being underdogs this time will help us. A repeat 1-0 win counter attacking style would do.

Man Utd haven't lost in the league since a 4-0 loss to Chelsea in late October. But since then they have lost to Fenerbahce, and to Hull City (EFL second leg). We were bigger underdogs in '76. Being underdogs this time will help us. A repeat 1-0 win counter attacking style would do.

For Bobby Stokes see Shane Long ?