League Cup Final Build Up Thread

View From The Top

As a kid born in '88, I've only ever known Saints to be relatively rubbish up until very recently. All the others at school supported the likes of Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool but I never went through that weird stage as a kid (some of which are making up our group of 10 or so lads going to the final, they saw sense in early teens!) I've been Saints through and through though since I was old enough to walk and had a ST since I was 5. Block Q, Row 4 seat 197 at the Dell. Happy times. I can remember crying my eyes out whenever Saints lost, and it made for a pretty miserable childhood watching them, bar MLT. I went to Cardiff in 03 but at 15 I couldn't really do the day as I'd have liked.

Having done pretty much every game home and away with the same 6 or 7 lads since L1, this game means everything to us. We are all now at the perfect age to appreciate what this means, and to know where we've been over the last 10 years to get there. Yes it's only a League Cup final, but the fact it means this much is exactly why I pity any glory hunting, armchair sitting big 4 club 'fan' who cheer on another premier league win through their TV every year. It'll be a proud day for the club, our brilliant city and 31,000 other Saints, and I can't wait to experience it with the same fellas who I go with every week.

Up the Saints.

In exactly the same situation, almost exactly. Well put.

I've never had the chance to watch Saints much (except for '85-'86 season, went a few times).

Went to ZDS final at Wembley in '92. Gemmill broke my heart, the barsteward. Was still a great day out.

BUT...

... aged 5, I was one of the multitude by the Civic Centre welcoming the '76 heroes back to the city. Dad said I was 'too young' to go to the final, yet we were part of that chaotic throng! Still remember it. Fantastic!

I've definitely got a buzz for this final - even though I can't be there.

Anyone going up the night before?

booked into a hotel 800 yards away from Wembley stadium and I fancy a good night out with my son.

group of us going up Saturday, coming back Monday, and headed to the Barnet game on Saturday ... lads, lads, lads. Staying in Edgware

I'm truly devastated that I won't be able to make it. I may not have a season ticket, I may not be an official member, I don't go to many away games but I've followed this club through thick and thin. Many a Tuesday night back in the L1 days I'd forego a night out at the Uni bar to be able to sit alone in my room listening to a dodgy SaintsPlayer, cheering as we beat the likes of Yeovil and Dagenham, or cursing losses to Rochdale.

Now I work most weekends so I don't get to as many games as I'd like to, but I'll still be following the game as best I can, rushing out as early as possible into the nearest pub I can find (think I'll be in Colchester of all places). I may end up elated and head into London to join you all for a night out. I may be crushed and head home in silence. Either way I'll be proud from start to finish of being a Saints fan.

Sing it proud chaps.

COYR (/W)

Anyone else thinking of heading towards the Borough Market area for a few lunchtime beers? Yes, I know it's a bit out of the way, and not enroute from Waterloo to Wembley, but I like the pubs over that way, e.g. the Market Porter / Wheatsheaf :)

Not a bad shout. I misinformed you all on my last comment about visiting Neal's Yard for cheese - the one you want is Stichelton..

If he keeps up his goal-scoring progression, Barry will score three in his third game for us.

MU will have to score four to win. Sadly, that could easily happen. But with our extra desire to win something, anything, versus United's comparative lack of real interest in the EFL Cup Final, it definitely WILL NOT.

COYR

The thought of a penalty shoot-out struck me earlier. We're hardly overflowing with dependable takers, as we? Depends who's on the pitch but my running order would be something like this:

Gabbiadini

Tadic

Bertrand (coolest head on the pitch for the first pen which could win/lose it)

JWP

Redmond/Boufal

Davis (although one of him and JWP would probably be subbed off by the time 120 minutes came round)

Long/JRod

Romeu

Yoshida

Cedric

The thought of a penalty shoot-out struck me earlier. We're hardly overflowing with dependable takers, as we? Depends who's on the pitch but my running order would be something like this:

Gabbiadini

Tadic

JWP

Redmond/Boufal

Davis (although one of him and JWP would probably be subbed off by the time 120 minutes came round)

Long/JRod

Romeu

Yoshida

Cedric

Forster never looking like saving one is a bigger issue.

Changed my mind and decided to fly back for it! Absolutely buzzing for it but sat up in the Gods.

I would be great it we could get everyone standing in the top tier and make some proper noise for the whole 90. It would crap to look down at all the noise from coming behind the goal exclusively. It's a cup final, we should be going a bit mental! It happens so rarely! A few of us tried getting songs going Inter away with little success and getting looks for actually wanting to sing. Block 530 etc near the away fans should be able to generate some decent noise!

Any of you loves driving? Any good ideas where to park?

Yes Kingsbury. Although Wembley is maybe 20 minutes from my house on a good day on the North Circular, Cup Final day obviously isn't a good day. In the days when I was lucky enough to get Cup Final tickets, I used to drive to Kingsbury, one stop north of Wembley Park on the Jubilee Line. There is a pay and display behind the shops on the Main Street, maybe 50 yds from the tube station. If you are prepared to walk a bit you'll probably get free parking in the residential streets.

Gabbiadini

Tadic

JWP

Redmond/Boufal

Long/JRod

Romeu

Yoshida

Cedric

I think we are quite blessed with penalty takers in our team.......

I'm not driving up this time, but I've parked at Hillingdon Tube Station before when going to events at Wembley. 20 minutes on the tube to the stadium from there.

That's where I usually park for Wembley as well but this time I'm taking advantage of the free parking on offer at Harrow Borough FC and will have a beer in their clubhouse.

Gabbiadini

Tadic

JWP

Redmond/Boufal

Long/JRod

Romeu

Yoshida

Cedric

I would back us to lose a penalty shoot-out against most professional or semi-professional teams in the country, to be honest.

I think we've got plenty who would miss and I can't imagine Forster saving a penalty.

Absolutely this. The Mancs will have to completely miss the target for us to win a penalty shoot out.

I would sub him for the new guy.

Team should do that more often, even if their regular keeper is decent. It messes with the other team's mind.

Forster never looking like saving one is a bigger issue.

It will be interesting to see if all penalty takers and even forwards with a clear shot at our goal all aim for the bottom corners against Forster in future. This may ultimately work to Forster's advantage as it will make them more predictable (if he can get down to them in time). I still think Forster is one of the better goalkeepers we've had over the years. His clean sheet record is outstanding.

I would back us to lose a penalty shoot-out against most professional or semi-professional teams in the country, to be honest.

I think we've got plenty who would miss and I can't imagine Forster saving a penalty.

gabbiadini

tadic

boufal

ward prowse

jayrod

could see all 5 scoring