League Cup Final Build Up Thread

View From The Top

I wonder if we have a match lined-up for this weekend / early next week for him to play in?

IMO would be sensible, just to keep the teams legs ticking over and maintain match fitness.

Anyone know where in Spain the squad have gone? Glad they've not gone Dubai or New York as others have tbh!

All noises coming from the club are suggesting this... No sure how I feel about it to be honest. It'll be his first appearance as a Saints player and he hasn't played a competitive 90min in some time. On the other hand, Stephens vs Zlatan is equally unappealing.

Out of interest which noises from the club suggest Caceres will start?

IMO would be sensible, just to keep the teams legs ticking over and maintain match fitness.

Anyone know where in Spain the squad have gone? Glad they've not gone Dubai or New York as others have tbh!

Alicante (according to OR).

Maybe we will have a friendly with Hercules u21s or something.

Not very impressed at the notion of parachuting in a guy who hasn't played in over a year into a cup final at expense of our own youngster who played so well to get us there.

Hopefully we'll get someone in on loan to help give us cover alongside Stephens whilst Van Dijk is out.

Done..and now you're not impressed?

Cover does not mean starting a league final without having played a competitive match in over a year.

Nobody has said he's starting yet tbf and if it gets to match day and the people working with him everday think he's A) Better than Stephens B) Fit enough to play then I'm happy he's playing.

Couple of further things to think about as well

1) Stephens may have played the last 4? games, but other than that he's hardly been active in competitive football.

2) When it comes down to it, on the day, I want the guy who is going to nullify Zlatan and United. I want the guy who has played at the highest level, I want the guy who has experience of being in and working with one of the best defences in world football.

I think if Stephens plays and we win then great. If Stephens plays and we lose, we'll be thinking what if in regards to having this guy on the bench. I dont want to be thinking what if after the game.

If the staff think he's capable of playing and is the right man to start then he should play.

Not very impressed at the notion of parachuting in a guy who hasn't played in over a year into a cup final at expense of our own youngster who played so well to get us there.

I don't think there's any chance they'll do that. It could seriously damage squad morale.

I think we have to start Stephens unless Caceres does get a closed door friendly or a u23 game under his belt first and has really impressed in training.

Agree I do not fancy either Yoshi or Stephens vs Zlatan, but if Bertrand and Cedric can stop some crosses along with Romeu and Davis then hopefully that eliminates some pressure, we will need who ever is starting up top to really cut them open, I feel Jay Rod Gabbiadini and Long two of them should start along with Tadic if Boufal is deffo out or only fit enough for the bench.

Nobody has said he's starting yet tbf and if it gets to match day and the people working with him everday think he's A) Better than Stephens B) Fit enough to play then I'm happy he's playing.

Couple of further things to think about as well

1) Stephens may have played the last 4? games, but other than that he's hardly been active in competitive football.

2) When it comes down to it, on the day, I want the guy who is going to nullify Zlatan and United. I want the guy who has played at the highest level, I want the guy who has experience of being in and working with one of the best defences in world football.

I think if Stephens plays and we win then great. If Stephens plays and we lose, we'll be thinking what if in regards to having this guy on the bench. I dont want to be thinking what if after the game.

If the staff think he's capable of playing and is the right man to start then he should play.

And if Caceres starts and Zlatan tears him a new one (due to him not being match fit) we'll also be thinking what if after the game.

I think claude will just assess quickly where Martin is in terms of fitness and sharpness, if he is getting there he will spend most of the training camp get back into playing and then drilling defending back in the UK but a guy who is good enough for barca and juve should be able to pick up our style very quickly.

He seems of lean build so probably has good endurance so maybe match sharpness is what he needs to work on over the next week.

I have a feeling Puel might opt for the experience of the seasoned international over the raw youngster. He may start with Caceres and see how it goes - if he's comfortable leave him on but if he struggles there's always Stephens on the bench. This is may be too big a game for Stephens but he will be desperate to play and it's a tricky one for Puel that's for sure.

There's no way they've chosen not to sell it. It'll be time taken to turn them around, but if we win I'm sure they'll flog em.

Not beyond the wit of man to do it quick. Would have shifted 10,000 at £30 a pop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not beyond the wit of man to do it quick. Would have shifted 10,000 at £30 a pop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would we? I doubt we do much more than 30-40k shirts in total every season, expecting us to shift another 30% or so for one match seems fanciful. And of course you've used the classic stadium expansion argument of let's just cut the price to sell more - new release shirts would be normally be closer to £50. Being that this would be a premium, short run, high risk item you'd have to sell it for its normal RRP.

And then there are the logistics. From design sign off to how many sizes are they producing to freight timelines there is a lot to work out. All this for something that between the decision to wear it at the fixture and the point at which the club needs to sell 80% of the stock is about four weeks. While in one world it may be possible to buy time in a factory and air freight the stock, on planet earth the whole thing becomes pointless if the club/under armour lose or nearly lose money on every shirt.

It's not beyond the wit of man to understand the club and UA likely did review the opportunity and decided not to proceed.

Edited by CB Fry

Interesting (perhaps) to note that the club have seemingly decided on a zero coverage approach to this week's Spanish training camp.

Our social media team are usually all over these visits like a rash, with wall to wall coverage, but next to nothing for this one.

Interesting (perhaps) to note that the club have seemingly decided on a zero coverage approach to this week's Spanish training camp.

Our social media team are usually all over these visits like a rash, with wall to wall coverage, but next to nothing for this one.

It's because Van Dijk is fit and we don't want to tip off United...

Oh wait, that was a wet dream I had.

I have a feeling Puel might opt for the experience of the seasoned international over the raw youngster. He may start with Caceres and see how it goes - if he's comfortable leave him on but if he struggles there's always Stephens on the bench. This is may be too big a game for Stephens but he will be desperate to play and it's a tricky one for Puel that's for sure.

In a game that could last 120 minutes, I don't think we are going to want to risk having to make a substitute because a player isn't up to it. If Caceres plays, we will have to be certain that he is good enough and fit enough.

As for Boufal, physio room has him down as returning from injury on Friday 26th...

In a game that could last 120 minutes, I don't think we are going to want to risk having to make a substitute because a player isn't up to it. If Caceres plays, we will have to be certain that he is good enough and fit enough.

As for Boufal, physio room has him down as returning from injury on Friday 26th...

If you have managed a FF team and ever relied on PhysioRoom you will know its guesswork at best.

26th isn't a Friday either

Think the club agreed that all players media commitments for the final would be done before the trip to Spain and only Puel has to do his usual presser on Friday before the game.

Ok then.

Me and a mate are staying in Islington Saturday night as we know some lads there. Anyone know where the best place to drink will be on Sunday morning/afternoon before the game that's not too far from Wembley?

Cheers.

I'd advise a couple of places in Finchley Road- only a few minutes away on the Metro line a probably nicer/less packed than in Wembley.

We haven't got a great record of playing well after more than a week off. It always seems to take a bit too much time in the first game afterwards to get up to full speed. Hopefully this will be different.

I agree, though Read may have instructed Puel to play our youth product, Stephens, anyway.

I think unless Stephens or Yosh are injured Martin won't play. He could be very useful in league matches, though. We need a strong run in to the end of season.

I guess most people on here are going to Wembley to watch a football match not stand around in a boozer all day - hence no replies. Still, each to his own aye?

yep there won't be a football fan within a mile of any pub, nobody wants alcohol to impair their football experience. However, I would consider myself a Saints fan rather than a football fan and will be off my t1ts on class A by noon.

I guess most people on here are going to Wembley to watch a football match not stand around in a boozer all day - hence no replies. Still, each to his own aye?

Or some of us are going up on Saturday, coming back Monday to make a weekend of it. Football without booze pah

Afraid I am not that familiar enough to advise Shance on specific boozers hence no reply.