League Cup Final Build Up Thread

View From The Top

All they need to do to get the pulses racing is just keep Shane Long's goal at Anfield on repeat, works for me.

Heard a little rumour Saints have got the decorators in, making our Wembley dressing room look a bit more like home.

Have heard something very similar.

Great to see scarfs & flags being sold from all sorts of market stalls at various point in and around the City, from Hedge End to Totton. Flags up on various building sites etc. Now work is pretty much done for the week my flag is hanging from the front of the house, be good to see scenes around the City like we did pre Cardiff! Get ya flags out fellas!

Up the Saints!

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

Puel confirms he'll also make a decision tomorrow on whether Martín Cáceres features. He's been impressed with his fitness levels. #saintsfc

Adam Blackmore‏@AdamBlackmore

#saintsfc boss Claude Puel pleasantly surprised at how Martin Cacéres has done in training - i reckon that gets him in #EFLCupFinal squad

--------------------Forster-------------------

Cedric--------Yoshi-----Stephens-----Bertrand

---------------------Romeu--------------------

-----------JWP--------------------Davis--------

Boufal-------------------------------------Tadic

-----------------------Gabbi--------------------

If Boufal is not fit then Redmond in there. Also putting faith in Stephens, he will have more heart for this than Caceres, same reason JWP is in, they're going to want this so much.

If Boufal is not fit then Redmond in there. Also putting faith in Stephens, he will have more heart for this than Caceres, same reason JWP is in, they're going to want this so much.

But Caceres / PEH have experience in big games and finals. Personally I think they are the sort of player you need.

Do you think Rashford will start ahead of Ibra because he's a local lad and will want it more.....:mcinnes:

JWP has definitely earned his start in this, plus now Carrick is fit he will play so it won't be an all energy midfield from United, so he won't necessarily be exposed on that front. We can't afford to waste possession too much in this game, so Hojbjerg shouldn't feature from the start for me, and as much as I love him, Boufal would probably be on the bench for me too because as great as he is, he will give the ball away a fair few times because that's the nature of that kind of player. Boufal or Tadic, not both. I'm so excited.

But Caceres / PEH have experience in big games and finals. Personally I think they are the sort of player you need.

Do you think Rashford will start ahead of Ibra because he's a local lad and will want it more.....:mcinnes:

Choosing between a young lad who's barely played and one of the best centre forwards of the last 20 years is not the same as deciding between two average CM's and CB's.

If Zlatan had not played a game in a year then yes. Also do think PEH deserves to be ahead of JWP? What's your line up then?

Think we should go 4-3-3 for this. I know we've been crying out for 4-2-3-1 all season, but I think that may leave us too open.

Look to control the middle and hit them with pace on the counter (like we did against Liverpool), which is why I'd have Redmond starting. Tough one to choose between Tadic and Boufal, but I think recent performances Tadic just edges it.

Important we get the first goal and not give them as many chances as Liverpool had in 2nd leg, as they will put at least 1 of them away.

Cedric-----Caceres------Yoshi------Bertrand

-------------------Romeu----------------------

-----------PEH------------------Davis----------

Remond-------------------------------------Tadic

United have been in unbelievable form recently, but if we turn up (performance wise) and they are only at 85/90% we can sneak a result.

Heart says 1-0 Saints (Gabbi) head says 2-0 united (Mata and Ibra).

This but Redmond for Boufal due to fitness !

From what I can tell PEH has played in one final, of which he was substituted when the game was 0-0.

Caceres has not played competitive football for over a year. Playing him ahead of Stephens would be idiotic.

I hope he goes 4-2-3-1 but think he may well revert to type and look to remain very tight.

I'd go with;

---------------------Forster---------------------

Cedric------Yoshida-----Caceres-------Bertrand

--------------Romeu-----JWP--------------------

----Tadic-----------Boufal---------Redmond

------------------Gabbiadini---------------------

But I expect Davis to play either for JWP in the two or in the normal 3 midfield with JWP and with Boufal on the bench. Exciting bench though with Long, JRod, Boufal/ Davis, Sims.

Nice bit of propaganda for the game!

*Dry's eyes*

At 50 years old, having just successfully fought cancer, I should be flippant about a mere game of football but fu_cke me, I couldn't possibly be more excited.

I even went away this week riding in Flanders to help temper the excitement but now I'm back I feel like nipper on Xmas eve.

As Puel's had a couple of weeks to work on the team I wouldn't be surprised if he reverts to a diamond, especially due to his comments about how he wants to play Tadic centrally and our lack of a strong DM presence alongside Romeu. I'd be half inclined to play PEH to get anoter tall player into the squad, but considering how bad he's been at marking from set pieces he's probably not much of an improvement on JWP in that respect.

I think Puel might well go for this, especially as Gabbiadini is supposed to be excellent at cutting in from the left:

---------------------Forster--------------------

Cedric------Stephens------Yoshida------Bertrand

---------------------Romeu---------------------

----Ward-Prowse----------------Davis----------

---------------------Tadic----------------------

-----Gabbiadini-----------------Redmond--------

As Puel's had a couple of weeks to work on the team I wouldn't be surprised if he reverts to a diamond, especially due to his comments about how he wants to play Tadic centrally and our lack of a strong DM presence alongside Romeu. I'd be half inclined to play PEH to get anoter tall player into the squad, but considering how bad he's been at marking from set pieces he's probably not much of an improvement on JWP in that respect.

I think Puel might well go for this, especially as Gabbiadini is supposed to be excellent at cutting in from the left:

I'm fairly certain that will be the 11 players that start. Just a question of shape but it's going to be something like that.

As you say, it would be good to have some more height in the team as United are quite big and I do worry about that but he may take the view that the best form of defence is for us to be on our game in possession.

Bench will presumably be:

Hassan, Caceres, McQueen/Martina, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Boufal, Long.

The only real other candidates are Gardos, Jay Rod and Sims but I expect Caceres will be ahead of Gardos and he would like to have two central midfielders on the bench so Sims and Jay Rod will miss out. If Caceres is deemed versatile enough you could have another forward instead of McQueen/Martina but that would be a bit of a gamble.

I admire your confidence but I don't think we would beat Utd starting with 10 players