Arsenel game thrown?

Parley saint

Its funny how we get all stroppy about the Fa cup weakened side but fail to recall that we faced a very weakened Arsenal team in the EFL which has now left us with a place at Wembley. If Wenger had really put out his best side that night we wouldnt be at Wembley now

I doubt it was a deliberate ploy just to ensure this two week period but I think it will do the players (and the manager) the world of good. No doubt if we lose the final which is more than likely, there will be people who say it's because of the break and that they had too much time to think about it. Well that is valid but I actually think that Puel has structured the 2 weeks very well to minimise that effect. Giving the whole squad a few days off with their families and then to take them someone warm will boost moral no end. After they return they have a full "normal" week to prepare. It also sounds like the players have already fulfilled their media duties ahead of the final so that allows them to focus fully on what for many could be their biggest game in their career - although hopefully not! Luckily we have several players with excellent experience.

Its funny how we get all stroppy about the Fa cup weakened side but fail to recall that we faced a very weakened Arsenal team in the EFL which has now left us with a place at Wembley. If Wenger had really put out his best side that night we wouldnt be at Wembley now

We also played a weakened side in the EFL game against Arsenal in fact we played a weakened side in all the EFL games up to Liverpool. It wasn't like we put out our best 11 in all those EFL games. All the weakened teams we put out in the EFL were still competitive though unlike the FA cup team put out against Arsenal which would have struggled against Eastleigh.

It wasn't 'thrown,' but it was clearly not a priority. While it was painful to see us capitulate so meekly, there was a logic to not risking injuries and preserving fitness of our key players.

Had Gardos, Isgrove et all suddenly turned it on and beaten a significantly stronger Arsenal side I doubt there would have been any complaints.

I doubt it was a deliberate ploy just to ensure this two week period but I think it will do the players (and the manager) the world of good. No doubt if we lose the final which is more than likely, there will be people who say it's because of the break and that they had too much time to think about it. Well that is valid but I actually think that Puel has structured the 2 weeks very well to minimise that effect. Giving the whole squad a few days off with their families and then to take them someone warm will boost moral no end. After they return they have a full "normal" week to prepare. It also sounds like the players have already fulfilled their media duties ahead of the final so that allows them to focus fully on what for many could be their biggest game in their career - although hopefully not! Luckily we have several players with excellent experience.

There will be absolutely no excuses for them not to press the life out of United. This is effectively a mid season break.

I don't buy the crap they will lose sharpness. When I train for marathons the taper is as crucial and important as the hard miles that preceded it.

We should be well rested both physically and mentally and be able to out run and out fight United. No excuses.

If they manage to match that and use their undeniable higher skill then you have to hold your hands up and say fair enough.

I firmly believe we are in with a good shout.

There will be absolutely no excuses for them not to press the life out of United. This is effectively a mid season break.

I don't buy the crap they will lose sharpness. When I train for marathons the taper is as crucial and important as the hard miles that preceded it.

We should be well rested both physically and mentally and be able to out run and out fight United. No excuses.

If they manage to match that and use their undeniable higher skill then you have to hold your hands up and say fair enough.

I firmly believe we are in with a good shout.

"Supercompensation".....

We also played a weakened side in the EFL game against Arsenal in fact we played a weakened side in all the EFL games up to Liverpool. It wasn't like we put out our best 11 in all those EFL games. All the weakened teams we put out in the EFL were still competitive though unlike the FA cup team put out against Arsenal which would have struggled against Eastleigh.
that is not the point, if Arsenal had played a full strength team in any of the games we would have had trouble matching them, es[pecially at their place. I am happy that we played a strong enough side at their place to win and now be where we are rather than both teams playing full sides and us watching another at Wembley

Taking them someone warm may boost their morale but doesn't sound very moral to me.

I think we had two weeks off before playing Spurs at Xmas.

we were pants that day.

Well, that's an interesting point, actually.

We were actually very good indeed for the first 25 minutes or so and could have blown them away. We lost confidence when they scored (from a slightly flukey deflected cross). After we lost confidence they were able to dominate the ball and won comfortably in the end.

So, whilst the end result and overall 90 was indeed "pants" - I would say that was more mental than physical. Physically, we were all over them in the first 25 mins and our usual failure to stick it in the net more than occasionally is what cost us a 2 goal lead.

I think our biggest fear is being over awed by the occasion and playing in front of such a large crowd

My fear too. We clammed up massively at the San Siro and Inter were for the taking.

I think we'll be competitive at Wembley but I do worry our players will play the occasion instead of the game itself.

Whilst we didn't throw the game, having this week end off can help. I don't see how this extra time off is a disadvantage; we can recover, limit the risk of injuries and really work of tactics and formation, the lads get a break and some bonding time, all on the back of an impressive away win.

I was disappointed with not going through in the FA Cup, but it have its advantages. It's just a shame it wasn't followed up by a win against West Ham.

Personally I'm glad we have a break. The last thing we need is another game that OR , Yoshida, Gabbi or Cedric could get injured or suspended in. It's going to be tough, but without one of them we've no chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just as likely to get injured in training ir practice matches. Gaps between games dont mean chill and play fifa

Probably just as likely to get injured in training ir practice matches. Gaps between games dont mean chill and play fifa

Of course, there is statistically a greater chance that Man Utd will suffer more injuries than us, playing three times as many matches between now and the final. They have home and away fixtures against St Etienne in the Europa League and an away fixture in the FA Cup, so not just as likely at all.

On one hand, we lose momentum, on the other, there's less chance of losing a big player to injury.

It's a plus that we had a decent win against Sunderland for morale. If you can say anything about the FA cup IMO, it's that Puel wasn't interested, probably because of the League Cup final. (Although that smacks of putting his eggs in one basket.) Win the League cup and his decision will be justified. Lose and questions will be asked as to why he didn't take the FA Cup seriously.

Of course we didn't "throw the game". But any squad rotation strategy means, basically by definition, you're putting out a side that isn't maximising your chance of winning. We did that in spades in the Arsenal FA Cup game.

The EFL Cup final might actually be the first game where Puel is going to field the strongest team he possibly can. He is not going to rest anyone or "take a look" at a fringe player.

The FA cup was three days after a draining semi final at Anfield, and 6 days after a crucial PL match we had to win. In both those matches Puel rightly fielded as strong a line up as possible. Oh, and we were without Fonte and VVD. Given their absence, and with no CB coming in (and still missing a clinical striker), there was no way a) Puel could reasonably field a strong team against Arsenal and b) we'd win that competition anyway.