FA Cup

Nordic Saint

Sutton boss Paul Doswell echoed his counterpart's sentiments and declared his happiness with the hosts' display.

"Five letters - proud," he said.

"One of my little goals was to do better than Southampton and we have done that.

"They lost 5-0 to them and we lost 2-0 so in my mind that's a moral victory."

:lol: Ah, bless 'em. Hopefully they'll be cheering us on at Wembley on Sunday.

Watching Sutton v Arsenal last night I noticed Saints were mentioned as much as either team.

Co-commentator Le Saux, ex-Saint Alan Shearer in the studio who mentioned being in the youth team at The Dell with Sutton substitute goalkeeper the great pie eating Wayne Shaw who still lives in Totton, managed by saints season ticket holder Paul Doswell, assistant manager ex-saint Ian Baird and ex-saint Walcott scoring for Arsenal.

The cameras panned in on Matt Le Tissier and Lawrie McMenemy in the crowd, if you didn't know better you'd think Sutton was a suburb of Southampton not London.

This is a really interesting article on Wayne Shaw from a local perspective.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15100983.amp

We still have some interest in the FA Cup , if Chelsea make the semi final our away game in April will be postponed as it is on the same weekend.

Why ? let him have his 15 minutes of fame who is he hurting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He ate a pie in the last 10 minutes live on air when he knew that Sunbet had put odds of 8-1 for him to do so, he's being investigated for betting irregularities. :lol:

Wayne Shaw embarrassed himself and his club last night.

No he really hasn't- brought a bit of life into the cup yesterday.

Also- if I was him and it was possible to have placed a bet on me eating a pie- I certainly would have done it- nice little earner and some extra income for some of the players and possibly his mates!

He ate a pie in the last 10 minutes live on air when he knew that Sunbet had put odds of 8-1 for him to do so, he's being investigated for betting irregularities. :lol:
It was stupid of the betting company to do such a bet. Although it has got them some publicity Id never heard of them before then.

wow........... seems like a massive over reaction considering Barton has be accused by the Football Association of placing*1,260 bets in the last ten years and is still allowed to play in the PL this guy loses his job for eating a pasty which had no effect on the game its self.

wow........... seems like a massive over reaction considering Barton has be accused by the Football Association of placing*1,260 bets in the last ten years and is still allowed to play in the PL this guy loses his job for eating a pasty which had no effect on the game its self.

is being Sutton's reserve keeper really his 'job'?

is being Sutton's reserve keeper really his 'job'?

It was part of what he did, along with being the goalkeeping coach, and various odd jobs around the ground ( where he apparently slept 3 days a week ). He's been listed on the substitutes' bench several times this season.

Edited by badgerx16

I thought the whole thing from start to finish was a farce, and in the end I was glad they lost. From selling out to the sun, this pie nonsense and all the little scamps running on and goading the Arsenal, I bet the few hundred genuine Sutton fans are rather embarrassed.

I recall a pre-season friendly at Eastleigh prior to the 2004/05 season I think? Two notable subs came on that night, one a quick nippy right-wing for Saints who looked like he was about 11 years old (yes I know he was actually older than that), named Theo Walcott. And one slightly larger looking goalkeeper for Eastleigh, named Wayne Shaw.

I wouldn't have thought that all these years later it would be Shaw I'd be reading about on front page of BBC Sport website. What would be odds on that be?

Although what I remember most from that game was how astoundingly bad Neil McCann really was.

If he had wilfully not eaten a pie then he would also need to be investigated as that influences the outcome of the bet as well.

Images of him struggling against a group of men holding him down and shoving a meaty pie down his throat.

...that sounded like a euphemism for prison rape.

I know everyone wants to think our sacred game is pure but who cares if bookies get stung. Le Tiss admitted he tried it to get early throw in as had bet on it.

Down at non-league level far more of an issue I guess just like tennis.

I know everyone wants to think our sacred game is pure but who cares if bookies get stung. Le Tiss admitted he tried it to get early throw in as had bet on it.

So what would have happened had the deliberate ball out for a throw in resulted in a goal for the opposition and saints lost 1-0? Just the bookies that get stung?

What's the difference between deliberately kicking the ball out for a throw in and deliberately bowling a no ball?

So what would have happened had the deliberate ball out for a throw in resulted in a goal for the opposition and saints lost 1-0? Just the bookies that get stung?

What's the difference between deliberately kicking the ball out for a throw in and deliberately bowling a no ball?

It is the hypocrisy. Good examples to illustrate actually. Yes the greedy Pakistanis versus our saintly Le Tiss.

I don't like the thought of Le Tiss doing that either but bookies give people a chance to bet on such trivial things and people do take advantage. I have no sympathy for the bookie.

Re Wayne Shaw farce. Enjoyed this article

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-magic-of-the-cup-is-paying-a-man-to-eat-pie-on-television-for-money/114058

yeah but this incident wasn't even related to the game the guy ate a pasty it's not like he did a Grobbelaar vs Rosenthal performance to give Arsenal the game.