FA Cup

Nordic Saint

Non-league Lincoln City through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, showing how far you can go when you field a full-strength team in every round. I've got a feeling Leicester might win it this year to complete a back-to back 'double'. There have certainly been some unfashionable cup finals in recent years, like Portsmouth v Cardiff, Wigan v Man City and Swansea v Bradford City.

It proves absolutely sweet FA. We're in a final, quit complaining.

Who's complaining? Lighten up. You obviously don't get the magic of the cup, do you?

You're right, Fabrice, that was a strong Burnley team that Lincoln beat. Now for Huddersfield to beat Man City and, of course, Saints to beat Man United.

Non-league Lincoln City through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, showing how far you can go when you field a full-strength team in every round. I've got a feeling Leicester might win it this year to complete a back-to back 'double'. There have certainly been some unfashionable cup finals in recent years, like Portsmouth v Cardiff, Wigan v Man City and Swansea v Bradford City.

The magic of the cup.

Lincoln's odds for winning the cup before the competition started were 2000/1

Are they going to do a Leicester?

No :lol:

You can add another 0 to those odds and it still won't be enough to part with a couple of quid.

Hope they get a decent qtr final draw and not away to bloody Middlesbrough.

Ok. Time for a wild idea to regenerate the FA Cup. What if any club reaching the last eight was exempt from relegation (from whatever league) for that season?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's a seductive idea but you'd get into all sorts of problems if two relegated teams made it, plus the guys who finished 17th or whatever. I really wish we'd give a Champions League place to the winners but I can't see it happening, the big clubs would kick up an almighty stink.

Fair play to Lincoln. Think it's the first time since 1914 that a non league team has got to the quarters when qpr did it.

The Southern League pre the 1920s appears written off by many, but it was a decent standard compared to the Football League at the time. Southern League teams count as "non league", yet Saints made the final of the FA Cup as a "non league team" in 1900 and 1902.Other Southern League teams also were able to be more than a match for the northern Football League teams in the FA Cup.

That's a seductive idea but you'd get into all sorts of problems if two relegated teams made it, plus the guys who finished 17th or whatever. I really wish we'd give a Champions League place to the winners but I can't see it happening, the big clubs would kick up an almighty stink.

Then the teams in 14th and 15th might get relegated. Unfair, maybe, but you can bet it would focus teams better in the Cup.

Then the teams in 14th and 15th might get relegated. Unfair, maybe, but you can bet it would focus teams better in the Cup.

Unfair for sure. Imagine if we got relegated for finishing 14th and Sunderland or some other dross stayed up at our expense! Cup wins can hinge on single moments or even bad refereeing decisions, whereas league finishes are always deserved.

I'd give a CL spot to the cup winners, or 4th place if the cup winners also finished top 3. But then you'd occasionally end up with rubbish teams in the CL, which would risk us losing one of our spots through the coefficient. So maybe not.

Edited by DuncanRG

Unfair for sure. Imagine if we got relegated for finishing 14th and Sunderland or some other dross stayed up at our expense! Cup wins can hinge on single moments or even bad refereeing decisions, whereas league finishes are always deserved.

I'd give a CL spot to the cup winners, or 4th place if the cup winners also finished top 3. But then you'd occasionally end up with rubbish teams in the CL, which would risk us losing one of our spots through the coefficient. So maybe not.

You're probably definitely right, but why not have ridiculous ideas after a bottle of wine? ??

It always comes down to the blo-ody coefficient!

Links to Ripping Yarns/Barstenworth Utd.

The coefficient is dead. Fear of breakaway meant they changed so big leagues won't lose their places.

Ok. Time for a wild idea to regenerate the FA Cup. What if any club reaching the last eight was exempt from relegation (from whatever league) for that season?

and the FA Cup winners automatic qualification for Champions League group stages.......

...and top of the National League with two games in hand!

It's a balance thing. If you like upsets and the 'romance', Premier League teams making several changes to their line-up quite often enables those upsets to happen. But if the FA want teams to take it more seriously, why not introduce a rule along the lines of the one the JPT has - you have to play X amount of players that started in your last league game.

I know every club has a squad of players to use in a season but when we and teams like Bournemouth, Watford etc. make 10 changes to a line-up, it makes you wonder why we even bother turning up. Teams like Arsenal, United etc can make 10 changes to a line-up and still be very strong, we can't.

Leicester look like going out to 10-man Millwall

going to get punchy there

Underdog victories in the cup are always good. Unfortunately though, big Millwall games are usually tainted by violence. If they get to Wembley and lose (or win), there will almost inevitably be violent scenes. Their first though after winning yesterday was to head straight for the Leicester fans:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/10774158/metropolitan-police-confirms-three-arrests-after-millwall-pitch-invasion

I wouldn't cash out if I was you[emoji3]

Easiest £5 I've ever made, now I'm having the "damn it, wish I'd gone with my gut instinct and put £100 on" moment, haha. I'm more dubious about Man Utd and at 1/4 I'm avoiding that one, but 1/2 was ridiculously generous once I'd seen the Spurs team!

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Easiest £5 I've ever made, now I'm having the "damn it, wish I'd gone with my gut instinct and put £100 on, haha. I'm more dubious about Man Utd and at 1/4 I'm avoiding that one, but 1/2 was ridiculously generous once I'd seen the Spurs team!

Yeah we all feel like that after we pick up although that was so comfortable and bookies must've got battered gawd bless 'em

How soft were MOTD lot on Barton's pathetic behaviour?Amounted to 'he won't be happy with that' b0llocks

Joey Barton, what a complete and utter w*nker. He's an absolute disgrace, feigning injury when there was hardly any contact at all. I hope that he was suitably embarrassed when he saw it played back, but I doubt it. Dyche seems an honest bloke, so with luck he will have had a quite word in Barton's ear and told him to cut that sort of cheating out.

So if we had made an effort to beat Arsenal we would have had Sutton to beat then Lincoln into the semi final ....Hohum

So had we made an effort v Arsenal .. Sutton and Lincoln would have stood in our way :(

If you ignore the butterfly effect and chaos theory, yes... ;)