Saints must be playing Manure in a cup final again....

Marino

Some reminiscing going on in the dailies this morning....

This is a particularly good read :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/23/mick-channon-football-legend-racehorse-trainer-maverick-southamptons/

The Times also has a full page article on Bobby Stokes, his moment of glory followed by his demise.

Can't put a link up as its by subscription only, but it refers to him never learning to drive the Granada he won

for his winning goal, after retirement Channon/O'Neill and Steele regularly going over to his pub in Cosham to keep him

company whilst noticing he was increasingly living for the reunions and the chance to recreate the dressing room

vibe. After the pub folded he helped out in his cousin's café and moved back to his parents house in Paulsgrove where

he died of bronchial pneumonia aged 44, his ashes being scattered in the centre circle at the Dell. Stuff we all know

but seems to get more tragic the more it's written about.

My first father in law played for oldham and Manchester City when they were a good teams. even at the age of 70 he was recognised locally. One time, I was walking through Blackburn with him, and he still got a shout from a fan! I was gobsmacked!

Sadly, so many players up until the eighties seasons at least are so easily forgotten.

Footnote, my father in law died at 80 years old. I was somehow responsible for registering his death. I put his occupation down as "Professional football player".......I like to think that I made that millworker very content! ;)

My first father in law played for oldham and Manchester City when they were a good teams. even at the age of 70 he was recognised locally. One time, I was walking through Blackburn with him, and he still got a shout from a fan! I was gobsmacked!

Sadly, so many players up until the eighties seasons at least are so easily forgotten.

Footnote, my father in law died at 80 years old. I was somehow responsible for registering his death. I put his occupation down as "Professional football player".......I like to think that I made that millworker very content! ;)

Nice work.