George Best film Saints v Man Utd

spyinthesky

There has been a bit on the TV recently about a new film on the life of George Best,(for the youngsters on here - one of the most talented footballers of his generation. He would have been even more of a superstar these days)

One of the clips shown is, I am fairly sure, from the Saints v Man Utd 3rd round tie on 4 Jan 1964 at the Dell which Man Utd won 3-2 following a late winner, after Saints were up 2-0 at HT thanks to goals by Martin Chivers and Terry Paine.

Saints were in gold shirts and black shirts on the day and I am sure Tony Godfrey was shown in the clip hence the recognition of the game.

29,164 crammed into the Dell that day.

If my recollection is correct, it is odd that this clip is shown in the film as I am pretty sure George Best would not have featured in the game

There has been a bit on the TV recently about a new film on the life of George Best,(for the youngsters on here - one of the most talented footballers of his generation. He would have been even more of a superstar these days)

One of the clips shown is, I am fairly sure, from the Saints v Man Utd 3rd round tie on 4 Jan 1964 at the Dell which Man Utd won 3-2 following a late winner, after Saints were up 2-0 at HT thanks to goals by Martin Chivers and Terry Paine.

Saints were in gold shirts and black shirts on the day and I am sure Tony Godfrey was shown in the clip hence the recognition of the game.

29,164 crammed into the Dell that day.

If my recollection is correct, it is odd that this clip is shown in the film as I am pretty sure George Best would not have featured in the game

Correction, I looked up George Best's entry in Wikipedia. He actually made his debut as a 17 year old the previous September v WBA and started more regular appearances after the Xmas fixtures, so he was very likely to start in the Cup fixture at the Dell.

All I can really remember about the game are the two Saints goals, the one from Chivers being a real cracker, and the mistake from Tommy Traynor that allowed Man Utd to score the winner.

We had been knocked out of the Cup the previous season by Man Utd at the semi final stage at Villa Park

I was at that game and though it's long ago, I seem to remember Man U playing with two very young wingers Best and Morgan. I wouldn't swear to that being correct ,but have thought that ever since. What I can definitely recall is that Man U had a Bobby Charlton playing and I have never seen him play better, albeit in a deeper role bossing the midfield and endlessly supplying the two young wigers with precision passes all second half. One of the best individual displays I've ever seen at the Dell.

Correction, I looked up George Best's entry in Wikipedia. He actually made his debut as a 17 year old the previous September v WBA and started more regular appearances after the Xmas fixtures, so he was very likely to start in the Cup fixture at the Dell.

All I can really remember about the game are the two Saints goals, the one from Chivers being a real cracker, and the mistake from Tommy Traynor that allowed Man Utd to score the winner.

We had been knocked out of the Cup the previous season by Man Utd at the semi final stage at Villa Park

couldn't find the 64 game did find a video of the 63 game at Villa park.