Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

It's annoying having to pretend to be grateful for an honorable defeat. Plenty of people are going to feel aggrieved at the nature of that loss for a number of reasons, and their irritation is in no way at odds with anyone else's admiration for the way the team played. I thought we were great, but my overwhelming feeling is one of injustice, not pride. Oh, and we shouldn't have taken Gabbi off.

Should've beaten them. They were ok, we were a lot better. Didn't think the substitutions did much, especially taking off our goal-machine who was unlucky not to have more. He must love it in England, apart from being subbed off when on a hat-trick twice.

Still think we need a better first choice keeper even though their first two goals were well taken.

Now to stop underachieving in the league as we obviously have good players. If Caceres is any good, maybe he and VVD could form a good partnership for next season.

Would be nice to see WBA come 7th and **** on RK, especially as they are doing well. Wonder how European teams would take to Pulis-ball?

Typically lucky Man Utd, I seriously hate Man Utd as a football club, proid of the lads though they deserved the win, were the better team throughout but Utd fluke it thanks to the lino.

But meh, Pogba cost more money than our whole team pretty much, Man Utd bought that trophy, if we'd won it we would have earned it, they;ve spent what like half a billion in transfers over the last 5 years and it gets them a fluke league cup win where they had to rely on a 35 year old and the lino.

Just a shame our team can't play like this more often, we'd probably be in the top 6 and still in the other cups if they could put the same performance in against Hull and the like.

Now that we have a clinical striker we will. That's what's been missing until recently.

And for those criticising Claude for taking Gabbi off, he was obviously knackered.

Very proud of the lads and the fans a Wembley - life is just unfair - after 46 I know that - but still this defeat is hard to accept.

On the minus side FF and the subs - why take of Gabba? He didn't look happy going off.

But I'm trying to focus on the positive things tonight

Proud of the team and the fans there. They gave it their all and played magnificently....I look forward to Puel having a full pre-season with the team. His coaching is clear to see now he has had time on the training ground and with a striker who can actually score the future looks bright.

Gutted but we gave it a right go - unlike under Strachan where we were terrible.

Thought we played really really well.

Gabbi is a star

I just don't know whats happening with fraser doing punches when he should catch, poor kicked, given Zlatan 2/3rds of the goal to aim at and doesnt semm to be any sort of shot stopper anymore.

Ce La Vie.

Proud of our team today warts and all.

Really think now we will only play once a week we will move up the table rapidly to challenge for europe again.

Not fair at all. Man U did not deserve it one ****ing bit. Saints fans will remember this as the day that we won football, not Manchester. We did ourselves ****ing proud, couldn't of asked for more. Proud, really proud. That's football for you. Yes the one who lifts the cup counts.. but we should have no regrets. We played our hearts out, and the football world who watched that game knows that. Did ourselves proud as ****, Saints fans will remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very, very proud of Saints. Couldnt have done more. The difference was Ibrahimovic, in fact he carried them.

Yoshi was MOTM for me.

Concerned about Forster.

Can someone please tell me why the disallowed goal was an incorrect decision ?

Not sure if this is a serious question or tongue-in-cheek, but in case it is serious...

... Gabbiani wasn't offside when the ball was played to him, he was level. Bertrand (I think it was him?) was offside, but not interfering directly with play. Lino was distracted by that, I imagine, and raised his flag. Incorrectly, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I wasn't the ref.

But, hey-ho. I thought Man Utd were playing almost at half pace, even though we were brilliant for most of the game. They stepped up when needed, especially Ibrahimovic, and took their chances. We didn't take a high enough proportion of our chances.

Nevertheless, like you I feel very proud of our team, especially coming back from 0-2. Devastated we didn't win.

We lost as the best team as a result of dodgy ref decisions - i can take that.

Gutting, still.

Can you? I can't, why should we get ****ed over like this. We were superb today and the better team and didn't win because the officials favoured a big team. I can't take that, not at all.

What a great performance. Very proud of the club. With Virgil we probably would have won today. Excellent performance.

You might be right, but you can't fault our CBs today, particularly Yoshida. If anything our midfield were responsible for the openings that led to two of the goals. Surely we need a better keeper. Still a great day to be a Saint's fan.

Great effort from all very proud of the team but a golden opportunity missed today.

Played v. well but 3 soft goals.

Not a puel fan but we have been brilliant last 2 games and the lads are thriving in this system. Surprised people are having a go that Barry came off as he was done in. Long would have run them ragged in et.

other than play caceres, not sure what more Puel could have done today. Much better effort than 2003.

Sad to say, but the truth is if Fonte played we win that game. He's done a lot right but Les Reed dropped a huge bollock there as wasn't adequately replaced before he left.

40 years of hurt roll on.

Not fair at all. Man U did not deserve it one ****ing bit. Saints fans will remember this as the day that we won football, not Manchester. We did ourselves ****ing proud, couldn't of asked for more. Proud, really proud. That's football for you. Yes the one who lifts the cup counts.. but we should have no regrets. We played our hearts out, and the football world who watched that game knows that. Did ourselves proud as ****, Saints fans will remember that.

100% spot on mate. Proud to support Saints and we could not have asked for more from the team today. Hope Leicester get relegated because that c**t Vardy taking Virgil out could well have cost us the trophy.

My ratings

Forster 4 - Slow, hesitant and looked a bag of nerves, didn't perform

Cedric 8- Was superb, got forward well and did his back in defence

Yoshida 8- Superb as well, made some great tackles

Stephens 5- Inexperience showed, and was missing for two goals

Bertrand 7 - Played well, Solid and dependable

Romeu 6- Gave away needless free kick, got booked which limited him, and was unlucky not to score

JWP 7- Neat and tidy and some of his balls into the box caused havoc.

Davis 6- Efficient before being subbed

Tadic -5 - Never really got involved

Redmond 7 - Was a threat

Gabbidiani -9 Two superb goals, and should have walked off with the matchball

All in all, it was a magnificent performance, but we still conceded 3 goals and when you do that its hard to win.

It was a great performance from the lads, but let's face it, in this shop window, Gabbi shines out like the Hope Diamond. This game, along with his start for us is going to be immense in the summer market.....Finally we find a fix for our striker problem, and already it's going to be an agonising summer for us!!!

Tiredness aside it's a cup final and you don't take off a striker in as lethal form as him. If he'd have been on he might have turned that late chance in.

Agreed, especially a player who is clearly such a clinical finisher. There's no way Mourinho takes Zlatan off in that game even if it goes to extra time, and it already looks like Gabbiadini is just as important to us as Ibra is to them.

Agreed, especially a player who is clearly such a clinical finisher. There's no way Mourinho takes Zlatan off in that game even if it goes to extra time, and it already looks like Gabbiadini is just as important to us as Ibra is to them.

Exactly! And then what happens immediately, 2 chances fall to Saints with Long and JWP not clinical enough to bury them. It hurts me to think "what if...". Ugh.

Gutted but somewhat expected - great to come back from 2 down and the disallowed goal should have stood.

However even if Gabby was a bit tired why take him off when on a hat trick in a cup final with just minutes to go cos he would have kept going no matter what - adrenaline would have seen to that - worse still why take off Tadic when he had run them ragged and caused so many problems.

Sorry but I am still of the opinion (as I have been all season) that CP's tactics are not good enough, he isn't going to deliver success to us and has to go.

If Fonte and VVD played we win that. Good effort, were the better side but they had another gear perhaps. Should definitely have scored another and it sounds ole the Lino had a 'mare. If that decision is at the other end do we get it? Doubtful.

Plastic Man U fans though. They were poor.