Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

My ratings

Forster 4 - Slow, hesitant and looked a bag of nerves, didn't perform

Cedric 8- Was superb, got forward well and did his back in defence

Yoshida 8- Superb as well, made some great tackles

Stephens 5- Inexperience showed, and was missing for two goals

Bertrand 7 - Played well, Solid and dependable

Romeu 6- Gave away needless free kick, got booked which limited him, and was unlucky not to score

JWP 7- Neat and tidy and some of his balls into the box caused havoc.

Davis 6- Efficient before being subbed

Tadic -5 - Never really got involved

Redmond 7 - Was a threat

Gabbidiani -9 Two superb goals, and should have walked off with the matchball

All in all, it was a magnificent performance, but we still conceded 3 goals and when you do that its hard to win.

Stephens wasnt at fault for two goals. Midfield lost Lingard for the second and the third was a breakaway from our own corner which Stephens was up for. Romeu made a silly tackle for the free kick and he needs to be stronger in the tackle in the lead up to Zlatans winner

My ratings

Forster 4 - Slow, hesitant and looked a bag of nerves, didn't perform

Cedric 8- Was superb, got forward well and did his back in defence

Yoshida 8- Superb as well, made some great tackles

Stephens 5- Inexperience showed, and was missing for two goals

Bertrand 7 - Played well, Solid and dependable

Romeu 6- Gave away needless free kick, got booked which limited him, and was unlucky not to score

JWP 7- Neat and tidy and some of his balls into the box caused havoc.

Davis 6- Efficient before being subbed

Tadic -5 - Never really got involved

Redmond 7 - Was a threat

Gabbidiani -9 Two superb goals, and should have walked off with the matchball

All in all, it was a magnificent performance, but we still conceded 3 goals and when you do that its hard to win.

I agree with most of your scores but would put Forster on 3, JWP on 8 Tadic on 4. The last sentence says it all. You can play magnificently and still lose because of occasional lapses in concentration. Even more likely to happen against a team so experienced in winning trophies that they take the chances those lapses create.

Utterly devastated as we were clearly the better team. We looked threatening, created chances, defended solidly (with the exception of all their goals).

In no way did we deserve to loose the game. However, loose it we did and that's that.

Immensely proud of the team, they couldn't of played better and on another day (probably 40 years time) we might win something again.

Annoyingly I doubt I will see it but thems the breaks.

Well done all at the stadium, barely heard United fans all game.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk

Immensely proud that we did enough to win but I didn't like the Tadic and Gabbi substitutions.

Boufal came on and immediately got into two excellent positions on the field. Both times he held on to the ball and the chance was gone (on one he could have gone for goal as well).

Gabbi on 2 goals and giving them all sorts of problems. Yes Long got the winner at Anfield but come on, he takes 4 or 5 chances to score, we needed a clinical finisher out there if we wanted to win. If he was tired then take a chance on him and if we get to FT then reassess.

**** it.

Stephens wasnt at fault for two goals. Midfield lost Lingard for the second and the third was a breakaway from our own corner which Stephens was up for. Romeu made a silly tackle for the free kick and he needs to be stronger in the tackle in the lead up to Zlatans winner

Watch again lingard walks off Stephens who stands still and on ibras he's barely got back in box, not his fault as such as he was excellent just inexperienced

Gutted but somewhat expected - great to come back from 2 down and the disallowed goal should have stood.

However even if Gabby was a bit tired why take him off when on a hat trick in a cup final with just minutes to go cos he would have kept going no matter what - adrenaline would have seen to that - worse still why take off Tadic when he had run them ragged and caused so many problems.

Sorry but I am still of the opinion (as I have been all season) that CP's tactics are not good enough, he isn't going to deliver success to us and has to go.

You are either a Skate on a windup or completely clueless. CP has just delivered a first major Cup Final in 14 years and had the team playing amazing stuff today in a game we deserved to win. Disappointed to lose but for anyone to have a pop at the management/team today is bang out of order.

Forster cost us again i m afraid today.

The sooner we replace him the better.

Those who were at wembley you were brilliant.

Outsung those plastics mancs.

We showed fantastic desire hunger, proud of the players today.

Games are won on little margins.

Swap De Gea and Forster and we win it easily.

Tiredness aside it's a cup final and you don't take off a striker in as lethal form as him. If he'd have been on he might have turned that late chance in.

Tired. Are you f*cking kidding. They played 3 games before this final, and we were sunning it up for 2 weeks. DELULDED!!!

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

You are either a Skate on a windup or completely clueless. CP has just delivered a first major Cup Final in 14 years and had the team playing amazing stuff today in a game we deserved to win. Disappointed to lose but for anyone to have a pop at the management/team today is bang out of order.

Not having a go at the team at all - just frustrated as I have been all season at the manager - I have never had any faith in him and don't believe he is right for us even if we had won.

Our route here was far from being emphatic, apart maybe from the way we played against Liverpool at St Mary's and I am still worried about the rest of the season - however I would love to be proved wrong and judging from the way the team played today that could be a real possibility - but as I said I am still worried and entitled to an opinion.

Forster 10

Umm. I'm proud too but FF had a poor game today. He made one decent save (with his legs). Made 2 poor punches when he could have caught the ball. Gave Ibra a whole goal to aim at (look at the replay, ball went in about 2 feet from the post) and was nowhere for the other 2 goals. A decent keeper performance and we would have won that.

I'm going to credit Puel. I think that he got his tactics right today. The team played really well and made Man U look like second best for much of the game. Yoshida was superb. I can't help thinking that the third goal would not have reached Zlatan's head if we had VVD in the middle, he is such a commanding aerial presence. I therefore choose to blame Vardy for an undeserved loss. Oh and the incompetent linesman. Him too.

This isn't sitting well with me. Had united deserved it it would be easier to swallow. Haven't even moved off the couch since the game ended.

Once, just once, why couldn't it be our day? Those ****s have won stacks of trophies. We did enough out there. Whyyyyyyyyyy?

When my wife gets home from work, she will be asking me why I didn't continue with decorating the landing........My excuse will NOT go down well!.......Today started badly, and is only going downhill from here. :(

Can you? I can't, why should we get ****ed over like this. We were superb today and the better team and didn't win because the officials favoured a big team. I can't take that, not at all.

If we where only to lose games due to dodgy referring decisions I would die a happy, and some what paranoid, man.

The performance today was stellar.

I'm going to credit Puel. I think that he got his tactics right today. The team played really well and made Man U look like second best for much of the game. Yoshida was superb. I can't help thinking that the third goal would not have reached Zlatan's head if we had VVD in the middle, he is such a commanding aerial presence. I therefore choose to blame Vardy for an undeserved loss. Oh and the incompetent linesman. Him too.

This. We should not have conceded 3 goals, however strong our midfield and attack are.

Not having a go at the team at all - just frustrated as I have been all season at the manager - I have never had any faith in him and don't believe he is right for us even if we had won.

Our route here was far from being emphatic, apart maybe from the way we played against Liverpool at St Mary's and I am still worried about the rest of the season - however I would love to be proved wrong and judging from the way the team played today that could be a real possibility - but as I said I am still worried and entitled to an opinion.

All of our EFL Cup games were against teams in the Premier League. We didn't concede a single goal until the Final. That's not emphatic enough for you?

:rolleyes:

Superb display from the lads, we couldn't have asked for more from them. We dominated huge swathes of that game and looked by far the more likely to win it after the second equaliser, the difference was ibrahimovic who barely raised a sweat other than his two goals, he seemed to be saving himself for the big chances when they came his way. It took an appalling mistake from the lino, plus a goalpost to deny us what would have been a thoroughly deserved trophy. Well played Saints, proud to be a fan.

3-3. Still waiting for extra time! The script was always written in advance. Favour the "big" team on the "big" occasion. Appalling decision. Daylight robbery.

Good news! At least we have found the striker who has been missing all season. Great hat-trick! Now to see some impact on the PL.

Utterly devastated as we were clearly the better team. We looked threatening, created chances, defended solidly (with the exception of all their goals).

In no way did we deserve to loose the game. However, loose it we did and that's that.

Immensely proud of the team, they couldn't of played better and on another day (probably 40 years time) we might win something again.

Annoyingly I doubt I will see it but thems the breaks.

Well done all at the stadium, barely heard United fans all game.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk

We defended solidly ...... Oh yeah apart from all their goals.... How is that defending solidly?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gave it our all. No complaints. Utd weren't great but Zlatan is world class and is a game changer. We don't have players like that. We did ourselves proud though. we march on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hard to put it better than that. With any bit of luck we would have won but having Zlatan is pure class. Oh for VVD. Best part today was the way we worked going forward. Was a long trip to get to see the game but I left proud of the team - knowing he best team lost.

I think the game turned on three moments for us, which shows how football is a game of minute margins.

Gabbiadini's disallowed goal - if we go 1-0 up, it is a completely different game as United have to come chasing the game.

Romeu's header which hit the post - had that gone in, we go 3-2 up and they would have been deflated.

But the third moment - and I think the most significant and the poorest refereeing decision - was when Marriner let Lingard off the hook when he tripped Redmond.

He was booked first half for exactly the same thing, and Marriner did not apply the letter of the law, which he should have.

I hate to see players diving, it is the biggest blot on the modern game. But Redmond staying on his feet kept Redmond on the pitch.

Had Redmond gone over, Marriner would have had little option but to send Lingard off. In that instance when Redmond gave Marriner the opportunity to play the advantage, he also gave the referee the get out of jail card he needed to not dismiss Lingard. When the referee eventually caught up with Lingard, the moment had gone and he got away with a ticking off, when it should have been a second yellow.

Again, as with the disallowed goal, and Romeu's header, if United are reduced to 10 men with 20-odd minutes left, it is a different game.

The difference today is that United had three moments in the game which they took advantage of (to be honest, they did little else up front but score, although you could argue that is clinical finishing).

We had three moments which cost us dearly, two of which were beyond our control.

Umm. I'm proud too but FF had a poor game today. He made one decent save (with his legs). Made 2 poor punches when he could have caught the ball. Gave Ibra a whole goal to aim at (look at the replay, ball went in about 2 feet from the post) and was nowhere for the other 2 goals. A decent keeper performance and we would have won that.

I know, he's having some shockers at the moment but we don't have anyone else until McCarthy comes back...He's probably hurting more than we can imagine.

10 for having the shirt on...