Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

We were largely excellent. Slight shame that as we have become very dangerous in attack we look more shaky at the back but its hardly a suprise with 3rd and 4th choice CBs and a GK short on confidence.

Redmond, Gabbi and both full backs excellent going forward, very dynamic and elusive. Credit to Puel as his time on the training pitch has clearly made a difference. Interesting to see how many neutrals thought Redmond had a great game, he is massively under appreciated by our fans IMO.

Disappointed in Romeu's poor decision to clatter Herrera. Needless free kick and hampered him for the rest of the game. Over the season there have been too many goals conceded to counter attacks, suggests a lack of recovery pace in the middle of the pitch.

Saints fans great, clearly means more to a club like ours whereas they will probably be back next season if not again this time around.

No doubt in my mind about the mistake by the assistant who possibly couldn't see Gabbiadini and thought it was Bertrand, who was in an offside position, who scored the goal but it's surprising that the Ref didn't see the error and over-rule the assistant. Video technology would change the nature of the game entirely because so many decisions would have to be referred that matches would become very disjointed. The problem we have is that if a decision is found to be wrong after the game, as this one was, it's too late to change the result, so instead the football authorities don't allow officials to admit to the errors. Maybe they are right, because to publicly admit mistakes after the game would inflame the supporters of the wronged team. But do we know whether the officials are taken to task at all for their mistakes, because if they are not, what incentive is there for them to do better next time?

It's a cruel game. We know we were the better team and we could easily have won by 2 or 3 clear goals but only the result will appear in the record books. Perhaps the consolation is that it is only a game so does it really matter that much in the great scheme of things? Of course, if you wanted us to play in Europe again next year, it does matter but maybe we will have a better season concentrating on the league and aiming for top 4.

How many disallowed goals are there on average per match? Less than 1. Ditto controversial penalties. Also, as in other (more enlightened) sports (like hockey) they allow the coach/manager a limited number of video queries per game.

So apart from disallowed goals, and penalties, give each manager 1 or 2 (maximum) video review requests. It would not add up to much interruption, and any (short) time used would be included in time added on. There are plenty of stoppages for injuries, free-kicks etc. so adding one or two video reviews wouldn't make much difference.

I've been to all 6 finals, 4 defeats now I'm fed up with that, but what a performance today. If you aren't proud of that then you best give up now.

Yes there were faults, our Goalie situation is worrying, but if the club could grow a pair and just keep some stability for a while the future looks bright.

Appalling decision for our first goal but equally both Stephens and Romeo could have been sent off (as could Lingard). Football karma will come around some day.

Still a good day to be a Saints fan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So you are 117 then!?!?

A video technology decision decided the top game between PSV and Feyenoord in the Eredivisie today. I know it's not the PL, but it's a start, and I think it's headed in that direction everywhere, eventually.

:thumbup: When it comes to running football the Dutch have been ahead of England for decades now.

Just back from Wembley. The better team lost today and I felt with a bit of luck we'd have deservedly lifted the cup. It's hard to take because Utd have won lots of trophies so when we outplay them it makes defeat harder to swallow but that's football. The lads gave everything and I felt immense pride at their contribution to a compelling game of football befitting of a final. To come back from two down and then have them on the ropes was a monumental effort. Shame Vardy crocked Virgil because we missed his immense presence at the back and I'm sure he'd have been a better physical match for Zlatan. That's not to criticise Yoshi and Stephens who both performed heroically but Virgil just has that extra presence that I think we missed. Could not fault the effort, skill and commitment and I thought we played some sparkling football that on another day and with a little sprinkling of luck would have seen us lifting the cup. Great effort lads and no shame in a narrow defeat against a multi-talented side. My one regret was that we could not quite get to the stage where a resounding chorus of 'two nil and you fuc#ed it up!' would have cascaded down from the Saints end.

Puel now seems to have found his best side, and best formation 4-2-3-1, and needs to stick to it when and where he can. Add in VVD when fit and we will be a top half side again.

We learned today that video technology must be used; that we missed VVD and maybe should have played Cacares to mark Ibra as he outshone Yoshi and Stephens.

Surprised we went toe to toe with Utd; told work colleagues we would defend deep and play on the break; but wow we looked good.

On we go. Take confidence from today and having a blinding final 12 games!

And lol at Liverpool fans already wanting Gabbiadini. (tomorrow's BBC gossip page).

Not long home.

A good day only ruined by the result, and the collective efforts of Zlatan, the linesman, and Fraser Forecast conceding three of the four shots he faced.

Other observations:

Disappointed that Gabbiadini was taken off in normal time as he's our only goal threat.

On occasion we looked easily outmuscled in midfield, although often countered that with greater guile.

Ibrahimovic is a phenominal player despite being a c^nt.

Man U fans - poor support, and gobby ****s.

VVD would have made a difference.

Linesman should be shot.

I'm still not 100% convinced by Puel,or that he's a perfect fit for us, but whatever happens between now and the end of the season, he has my gratitude for getting us to a final, and making a match of it, unlike WGS setting out as a damage limitation exercise in 2003.

Nice to see on the big screen how Kat embraced some of the players. Hope she doesn't sell anytime soon.

Edited by Badger

That's not to criticise Yoshi and Stephens who both performed heroically

Don't know why people are saying this, don't think they would if this were a league game. You can't expect wonders from Stephens, so it would be harsh to lay into him, but he and Yoshida were only on par today and were at direct fault for the winner.

Disappointed that Gabbiadini was taken off in normal time as he's our only goal threat.

This was when I lost hope. He was puffing, but we weren't gonna hit United on the break at that stage. We just needed whoever had the best chance of scoring if we could get it forward, and that's Gabbiadini.

Edited by DuncanRG

Don't know why people are saying this, don't think they would if this were a league game. You can't expect wonders from Stephens, so it would be harsh to lay into him, but he and Yoshida were only on par today and were at direct fault for the winner.

This was when I lost hope. He was puffing, but we weren't gonna hit United on the break at that stage. We just needed whoever had the best chance of scoring if we could get it forward, and that's Gabbiadini.

Exactly, a turn on a sixpence and shot, or a toe poke from a corner was how we might have won it in the last few minutes. We should know by now that Long was unlikely to provide either and keep it on target.

Just back from Wembley.

Saints, thank you for giving it everything, you made it a memorable day out for me and my two lads.

I hope they'll remember their first Wembley final forever.

Brilliant performance, made moneybags United look very ordinary. Without 'Z' we would have done them today. Hats off to him, he's a great player. But we had the better team! Next time...

How can you have traffic jams on the M25 and M3 on a Sunday night? Mile after mile spent crawling along the M3, Christ knows why!

I pity the poor saps who commute to that dump daily, but I'll happily pop up to Wembley once or twice a season - over to you Saints

All in all, fab day, great support, and all the Manc fans I spoke to whilst queuing to get back to Gerard's Cross said we were far better, and they didn't deserve it. Ho hum

I thought our support was ****e, full of middle aged couples taking pics lower tier behind the goal.

Taking photos??? Christ, that's awful. Next they'll be allowing club owners into Wembley with their cameras out during a final, how embarrassing would that be.

It was a great final and the atmosphere when we equalized was beyond compare. Sheer ecstasy. But, we were robbed by the officials and the media are all very much on our side over that appalling decision to disallow Gabbiadini's first goal. However, what ultimately cost us the game was Puel taking Gabbiadini off 5 minutes from the end. All Saints fan were perplexed at such a shocking decision and thought if we get to extra time who on earth can score our winner now? If he'd been left out there instead of Ward-Prowse that cross that flew across would probably have been buried in the United goal and we'd have won. It also lifted the United players spirits to see our main threat taken off. We'd have felt the same way if Mourinho had taken Ibrahimovic off 5 minutes from the end. I don't but this Gabbiadini was tired excuse. He looked more full of running than most of the players left out on the pitch and hurtled down the tunnel full of energy, frustrated at not being allowed to finish the game.

If only Mourinho had taken their best player off before the end of the game and ours hadn't. If only... What might have been

Nevertheless, even though he wasn't allowed by the officials or our manager to win the winner's medal he deserved, I am grateful that we had such a wonderful player playing for us today and the way he led our fight back and shook United's confidence.

Just back from Wembley.

Saints, thank you for giving it everything, you made it a memorable day out for me and my two lads.

I hope they'll remember their first Wembley final forever.

Brilliant performance, made moneybags United look very ordinary. Without 'Z' we would have done them today. Hats off to him, he's a great player. But we had the better team! Next time...

How can you have traffic jams on the M25 and M3 on a Sunday night? Mile after mile spent crawling along the M3, Christ knows why!

I pity the poor saps who commute to that dump daily, but I'll happily pop up to Wembley once or twice a season - over to you Saints

All in all, fab day, great support, and all the Manc fans I spoke to whilst queuing to get back to Gerard's Cross said we were far better, and they didn't deserve it. Ho hum

We didn't give everything though?

We thought we could get away with Yoshida, Stephens, and Forster vs Ibrahimovic.

Difficult to put into words how I feel after today, I'd like to say that I'm proud of how we played, of our fans, and the best team lost etc etc but at the moment I really don't care, I feel numb to the whole thing. I'm fed up of always being the bridesmaid, plucky old Southampton giving it their all but coming up short. I would rather we played absolutely awful today and won 1-0 to an own goal off a defenders arse in front of a soulless saints end than lose in the manner we did today.

I left the Millenium Stadium in tears in 03, was chuffed to get promoted from the Championship in 2012 but with a twinge of disappointment at not winning the league, and now today has left me a bit apathetic . I Just want this club to actually achieve something, to write its name in history so we don't have to go on and on about 1976 and our solitary triumph in an 132 year existence and I want to be there when it happens, to tell my kids and their kids all about it.

Just a bit gutted really, those plastic ****s will never appreciate it the way we would.

Unlucky, but the lads never gave in. Most teams 2-0 down would have capitulated.

One bonus (I'm clutching at straws a bit here) no Europe next season so we'll have a better league campaign, and go for it in both cups next season.

Finally, a massive applause to all the supporters at Wembley. You outsung them, you were loud, and did the club proud.

If Fonte and VVD played we win that. Good effort, were the better side but they had another gear perhaps. Should definitely have scored another and it sounds ole the Lino had a 'mare. If that decision is at the other end do we get it? Doubtful.

Plastic Man U fans though. They were poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utterly devastated as we were clearly the better team. We looked threatening, created chances, defended solidly (with the exception of all their goals).

In no way did we deserve to loose the game. However, loose it we did and that's that.

Immensely proud of the team, they couldn't of played better and on another day (probably 40 years time) we might win something again.

Annoyingly I doubt I will see it but thems the breaks.

Well done all at the stadium, barely heard United fans all game.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk

Forster cost us again i m afraid today.

The sooner we replace him the better.

Those who were at wembley you were brilliant.

Outsung those plastics mancs.

We showed fantastic desire hunger, proud of the players today.

Games are won on little margins.

Swap De Gea and Forster and we win it easily.

Their support was laughable bad today. They did not make a sound apart from to take the **** out of that. All of them sat their in their black north face jackets trying to look hard but without making a sound. At least we made some noise

I thought our support was ****e, full of middle aged couples taking pics lower tier behind the goal.

I didn't get the fact that most of the lower tier sat down. What was that all about? Luckily we were near enough to the back to stand but there were a few people arguing near us about it.

We made a lot of noise at times even if it was limited to 2 or 3 chants. I didn't hear their fans much.

You think united's support was better today?

They were louder than us at times, but they really aren't all that special.

Bloody hell!

The better team WON because if clinical finishing.

Stats wise it was almost identical.

As for support....we (united) didn't hear saints fans apart from when you scored.

It may have seemed to some of you that you were so loud, but honestly you're getting carried away with the occasion.

In the ground you were quiet, and outside on wembley way etc, like mice.

Hope this helps

It

We didn't give everything though?

We thought we could get away with Yoshida, Stephens, and Forster vs Ibrahimovic.

Give it a rest eh?

Do you really expect the club to have the power of foresight?

Excellent performance against an excessively expensive side who looked bang average against our movement and desire. I hope that's a sign of things to come because we were exciting and purposeful.

Difficult to put into words how I feel after today, I'd like to say that I'm proud of how we played, of our fans, and the best team lost etc etc but at the moment I really don't care, I feel numb to the whole thing. I'm fed up of always being the bridesmaid, plucky old Southampton giving it their all but coming up short. I would rather we played absolutely awful today and won 1-0 to an own goal off a defenders arse in front of a soulless saints end than lose in the manner we did today.

I left the Millenium Stadium in tears in 03, was chuffed to get promoted from the Championship in 2012 but with a twinge of disappointment at not winning the league, and now today has left me a bit apathetic . I Just want this club to actually achieve something, to write its name in history so we don't have to go on and on about 1976 and our solitary triumph in an 132 year existence and I want to be there when it happens, to tell my kids and their kids all about it.

Just a bit gutted really, those plastic ****s will never appreciate it the way we would.

This. Sick to my stomach that in order for us to win a trophy we have to be near perfect and yet we've seen other teams play total **** and get a huge slice of luck. United fans will have forgotten about this by next weekend. Me, this defeat and the unfairness of it all will stick with me forever.

This. They sat there and largely didn't give a ****. It meant everything to us, and as usual we blew it.

Great effort but so frustrated. Mostly we played well. Thought Davis fell asleep for Lingard goal, and seemed Forster should have been nearer the first?

Really admired the determination and work rate of Redmond, United were scared of him. Actually think bringing Long on was good. Gab was knackered and Long pace caused problems.

If that Romeu header had gone in not sure they would have come back. Its and buts...

Gab looks brilliant with link up play. JWP had a good game. Full backs were brilliant.

Ibrahimovic unstoppable at times.

Gutted

Funny - I thought that it was Oriel who was at fault - and so did the Ch5 commentator. Nevertheless OR has a good game.

You're right, we should have given everything by playing Caceres, Hassen and ????

Dear oh dear. Have a word with yourself fella.

Give it a rest eh?

Do you really expect the club to have the power of foresight?

Excellent performance against an excessively expensive side who looked bang average against our movement and desire. I hope that's a sign of things to come because we were exciting and purposeful.

Why are you incapable of discussing the day? Weird.

Bloody hell!

As for support....we (united) didn't hear saints fans apart from when you scored.

It may have seemed to some of you that you were so loud, but honestly you're getting carried away with the occasion.

Hope this helps

It

You got lucky with a linesman decision.

You scraped past little old Southampton.

You're miles off Chelsea, Man City, even Spurs.

Chin up lad :lol:

Amazing day until the 86th minute. I go into games against big teams expecting to miss out on the big decisions, but the most frustrating thing is the fans of those teams thinking we just blame everything on officials, because they don't support a 'small team' so they just do not understand. One of the biggest positives from today was watching the game back on Sky and hearing Martin Tyler actually criticise United for surrounding the ref and rolling around to get Stephens and Romeu sent off. I just wish we would ****ing do it. If United had have had that goal disallowed (which they wouldn't have), then they would have screamed at the referee which would in turn see him go and consult his assistant, which in turn may have seen them conclude that actually the player who scored wasn't offside. Instead we look perplexed briefly and they carry on as if nothing happened. Likewise with Lingard cynically tripping Redmond when already on a yellow. Herrera would've flown throughout the air like Tom Daley and every player in red would've been in the ref's face until he has no option but to send the player off. It's a horrible part of the game, but it exists, and we need to ****ing get involved or we just lose out. Wanyama being sent off vs. West Ham last year, Noble & his gang hounding ****tenburg when Vic didn't even play the man - red card. Later in the game, Byram flies through one of our lot, off the floor and studs showing, no reaction from our players - yellow card. So frustrating, i'm sick of being the nice guys because we don't benefit in any way whatsoever.

But I love my club, what a show.

Bloody hell!

Hope this helps

It

Imagine being sad enough to post on another team's forum.

Expected to lose.

But we were fantastic today.

Idiot linesman could have been a different game.

To come back from 2-0 (zds final all over again).

If only Romeu went in rather than post.

Markus tribute on 62 min was fantastic, watching on skysports even got a wow from Gary Neville (he was an utter ***** on commentary majority of match imo)

Puel IN.... Lets see what rest of season does, no distractions now for cups.

All the fans there today were absolutely brilliant, all I heard from manure was united once they scored.