Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

You're right, we should have given everything by playing Caceres, Hassen and ????

(Sorry for biting, everyone)

We should have given everything by letting our best player Gabbiadini stay out there and win the game for us like Mourinho did with 35-year-old Ibrahimovic, even though he played a European game in midweek, and was United's best defender as well as attacker today. In a game as big as todays' was for us you lay everything on the line and you DON'T take your best player off. The whole game turned when Puel decided to give Gabbiadini a rest, which he didn't want, and when Mourinho sensibly did not decide to give Ibrahimovic a rest. He wanted to win at any cost, even if Ibrahimovic is a bit tired for their next league game, and he did. Today's should have been Gabbiadini's. He was robbed of it by the officials and our manager.

Expected to lose.

But we were fantastic today.

Idiot linesman could have been a different game.

To come back from 2-0 (zds final all over again).

If only Romeu went in rather than post.

Markus tribute on 62 min was fantastic, watching on skysports even got a wow from Gary Neville (he was an utter ***** on commentary majority of match imo)

Puel IN.... Lets see what rest of season does, no distractions now for cups.

All the fans there today were absolutely brilliant, all I heard from manure was united once they scored.

In English?

Sorry, complex sentences too challenging for you?

We should have given everything by letting our best player Gabbiadini stay out there and win the game for us like Mourinho did with 35-year-old Ibrahimovic, even though he played a European game in midweek, and was United's best defender as well as attacker today. In a game as big as todays' was for us you lay everything on the line and you DON'T take your best player off. The whole game turned when Puel decided to give Gabbiadini a rest, which he didn't want, and when Mourinho sensibly did not decide to give Ibrahimovic a rest. He wanted to win at any cost, even if Ibrahimovic is a bit tired for their next league game, and he did. Today's should have been Gabbiadini's. He was robbed of it by the officials and our manager.

Easy to say in hindsight. Puel wanted to win the game, obviously. Gabbiadini was knackered. Puel hoped that fresh legs might just get us the winner. He took a gamble. That is his call. If Long had scored, you'd be calling Puel a clever tactician. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Luck went against us.

Amazing day until the 86th minute. I go into games against big teams expecting to miss out on the big decisions, but the most frustrating thing is the fans of those teams thinking we just blame everything on officials, because they don't support a 'small team' so they just do not understand. One of the biggest positives from today was watching the game back on Sky and hearing Martin Tyler actually criticise United for surrounding the ref and rolling around to get Stephens and Romeu sent off. I just wish we would ****ing do it. If United had have had that goal disallowed (which they wouldn't have), then they would have screamed at the referee which would in turn see him go and consult his assistant, which in turn may have seen them conclude that actually the player who scored wasn't offside. Instead we look perplexed briefly and they carry on as if nothing happened. Likewise with Lingard cynically tripping Redmond when already on a yellow. Herrera would've flown throughout the air like Tom Daley and every player in red would've been in the ref's face until he has no option but to send the player off. It's a horrible part of the game, but it exists, and we need to ****ing get involved or we just lose out. Wanyama being sent off vs. West Ham last year, Noble & his gang hounding ****tenburg when Vic didn't even play the man - red card. Later in the game, Byram flies through one of our lot, off the floor and studs showing, no reaction from our players - yellow card. So frustrating, i'm sick of being the nice guys because we don't benefit in any way whatsoever.

But I love my club, what a show.

You're absolutely right. United's only real game plan today was to cheat their way to victory by trying to win as many free-kicks as possible, until they could get a couple near enough our goal to score and trying to get our players sent off. Ibrahimovic is a master at it but they all must have been working on it in training with Mourinho like Chelsea did: the perfectly timed dives, grimaces and screams, mobbing the ref. We couldn't compete with that level of cynicism, and it is sad that in order to compete at the highest level you need to do that plus getting dodgy decisions from the officials going your way. Imagine if one of United's goals had been wrongly disallowed and ours hadn't. That's never going to happen though, is it?

I thought theirs was sh**e, but was their 4th Wembley game in the last 11months. Why don't you have an opinion? Rushing home to post on here I guess.

Not sure how the two follow. Thought we were louder than them for large parts of the game, particularly 2nd half (was at the back on the halfway line, so was relatively near the United side). Not particularly bothered whether our songs were varied or not - with those numbers, OWTS is as good as you're going to get. Not as if I heard a lot of different songs from United who seemed fixated with that 'I'm into something good' chant.

So you think a knackered Gabbi is better than a fresh Long? Fair enough, that's your opinion. Puel and I disagree.

What a day that was. When the equaliser went in I went mental, haven't gone that nuts since Rickie scored at Fratton. Voice - gone.

So proud of the team but if that isn't the most typical Saints vs Man Utd cliché, I don't know what is.

Out play them - check

Miss chances to win it - check

Big officiating error in their favour - check

One world class player bails out their underperforming superstars - check

Media w**k over said player despite obviously better performances from Saints players - check

Anyway, fantastic performance all round. Yoshida, Gabbi, Cedric, JWP and Romeu all exceptional.

At least he's getting a reputation. Redmond, by contrast, was too honest with the Lingard challenge.

Yes, Redmond - who had such a good match, particularly first half - could have put Lingard's role in the game to the test had he gone over in a crumpled heap as so many others would have...well done to the lad for his decision to keep going. One afterthought I have about the game is a belief that someone like Sims, with his run and pace might have been the right sort of sub to have had on the bench to try and win the game late on, rather than Rodriguez or even Long.

Yes, Redmond - who had such a good match, particularly first half - could have put Lingard's role in the game to the test had he gone over in a crumpled heap as so many others would have...well done to the lad for his decision to keep going. One afterthought I have about the game is a belief that someone like Sims, with his run and pace might have been the right sort of sub to have had on the bench to try and win the game late on, rather than Rodriguez or even Long.

Rather than Boufal too who looked to be overawed by the occasion.

Thought he was poor today - lost the ball numerous times and gave United the chance to break (the only real time they looked dangerous).

I thought he had a role in all ofbtheir goals. The second in particular I'm pretty sure he failed to step up to the player coming in off the wing.

3-3. United go through to Europe on the Big Clubs rule. Proud of Saints today. Why do officials favour the big clubs though - that Lino is a professional so should know the flag only goes up if he is certain it's offside. Benefit of any doubt to the attacker. Unless it's a goal against a big club, when the benefit of any doubt goes to the big club. We all know it. No way that gets chalked off if it's Ibra.

Absolutely gutted to have lost that game. P!ss poor decision from the Lino and absolutely the best case ever for a TMO (spare me the whole 'it would ruin the game' rubbish, everyone would just adapt and get on with it)

Best performance I've seen this season and the team should be proud of what they did achieve.

Need to keep this going into a push up the table for the rest of the season now.

Yesterday didn't feel like an ending. It felt like a beginning. He picked an unchanged side. He's found a system. We have our goalscorer. JWP seems to have found his position. Boufal, Long, PEH on the bench suddenly seems like a strong squad.

I hope we can take this form into the last matches of the season. No Europe next season but let's finish as strongly as we can.

I thought our support was ****e, full of middle aged couples taking pics lower tier behind the goal.

I'm saying this as someone who can be pretty critical of our support at times but it really wasn't. I was sat up in the gods yesterday and there were numerous times that everyone young, old, blokes, birds, foam hands, jester hats and casuals were stood arms in the air singing their hearts out screaming the team on if only our support was like that ever week.

I thought he had a role in all ofbtheir goals. The second in particular I'm pretty sure he failed to step up to the player coming in off the wing.

Davis has never been particularly good defensively his strength is carrying the ball forward and linking up the forward play which he did well enough one of the reasons he always looks ****e played as a DM..

Presume all the people slating Puel for subbing Gabbiadini were watching on TV rather than at Wembley. He was clearly flaggijg for 15mins before he came off and was in communication with the bench about how much longer he could last.

No comparison to Ibra as they played in a totally different way with different physical output required.

We didn't lose because Gabbiadini was subbed and it seemed like the correct decision at the time.

Presume all the people slating Puel for subbing Gabbiadini were watching on TV rather than at Wembley. He was clearly flaggijg for 15mins before he came off and was in communication with the bench about how much longer he could last.

No comparison to Ibra as they played in a totally different way with different physical output required.

We didn't lose because Gabbiadini was subbed and it seemed like the correct decision at the time.

Dead on his feet no surprise seeing as he never played full games at Napoli and that he works really hard, he isn't afraid to drop deep to help out defensively, Bringing on Long against a tiring Man U didn't seem a bad decision at the time. Plus as you say Zlatan doesn't actually do much during a match except be in the right place to put the ball away (amazing player at what he does mind) the most effort he put in all game was chasing after Stephens after that tackle.

What a day that was. When the equaliser went in I went mental, haven't gone that nuts since Rickie scored at Fratton. Voice - gone.

So proud of the team but if that isn't the most typical Saints vs Man Utd cliché, I don't know what is.

Out play them - check

Media w**k over said player despite obviously better performances from Saints players - check

Anyway, fantastic performance all round. Yoshida, Gabbi, Cedric, JWP and Romeu all exceptional.

This and also - Puel did a cracking job - kudos to him

Unlucky, but the lads never gave in. Most teams 2-0 down would have capitulated.

One bonus (I'm clutching at straws a bit here) no Europe next season so we'll have a better league campaign, and go for it in both cups next season.

Finally, a massive applause to all the supporters at Wembley. You outsung them, you were loud, and did the club proud.

Totally agree, without Europe we can concentrate on both cups and league! Excited already, if CP had a say in Gabbi as well, the level of signings should be exciting as well

Out play them - check

This precisely....

Gutted after that. Great performance and the fans were excellent. I can't understand why the ref and linesman didn't consult about that disallowed goal. Manolo was immense and just watch his movement throughout that match. Personally although he may have been tired I'd have left him on until the 90 was up. Now we need to see an uplift in league form as if we revert back to how we've been of late then the rest of season will be dire.

Gutted after that. Great performance and the fans were excellent. I can't understand why the ref and linesman didn't consult about that disallowed goal. Manolo was immense and just watch his movement throughout that match. Personally although he may have been tired I'd have left him on until the 90 was up. Now we need to see an uplift in league form as if we revert back to how we've been of late then the rest of season will be dire.

I think Puel has hit on the right formation with the players he has now and having a goal scorer makes such a big difference to the whole feel of games. Just got to push for as high a finish as possible in the league know. Finish in the top 10 after a cup final and coping with the rigours of Europe is a decent season in my book.

The team was excellent. Credit to them and Puel yesterday!

And two who surprised me in a positive way was Redmond and JWP. Redmond was a constant threat with his movements and energy. JWP composed and didn't put a foot wrong.

But Gabbiadini... wow what a signing!

Didn't get back 'til late last night as the M25 and M3 were horrendous, not sure what that was all about. What a day though.

Immensely proud of the whole team and club, they really gave it their all and 9 times out of 10 we'd have won that. At 2-0 I thought it was game over and was already resigned to defeat, but they showed incredible guts and determination to get back into it. After the equaliser I could only see one winner, really felt at that point it was written that we would go and win it. That's what makes the defeat even harder to swallow, it's the hope that kills you!

Special mention for Redmond who I have been very critical of, he was brilliant yesterday and Utd couldn't handle him at times. Hope he starts putting in more performances like that.

If anything I feel even more gutted with the cold hard reality hitting home this morning. Very unlucky Saints, hopefully not too long to wait for another final.

Feels weird now that we were being warned that Gabbiadini wasn't a centre forward in the traditional sense. It seems that a centre forward is exactly what he is.

Yes, amazing what a difference he has made to our attacking play in just a few games.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Only one team deserves to win this, but lost in classic Saints style. Everyone was great except Forester who I would be happy never to see play for us again. Overall game lost by Les Reed and the ineptitude with the defensive situation. If we had two experienced defenders and a goalie today would have been a victory.

Somebody has to be the first effing **** to find someone to blame as is so predictable on this website. As others have said go find another club to support.

Special mention for Redmond who I have been very critical of, he was brilliant yesterday and Utd couldn't handle him at times. Hope he starts putting in more performances like that.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Redmond included in Southgate's next England squad.

Very proud of all the team, and the the manager who set up the side so well.

Sometimes in life you don't get what you deserve, but hopefully we can take it as a spur to kick on so that next time it our turn to celebrate. Not for a long time have I seen a Manure side so battered and without Zlatan they would be mid table in my opinion. Mourinho summed it up by his face, words and bosy language after the game - he knew they did not deserve to win that..

Gabba was fantastic of course but Yoshi gets my MOTM... he was immense back there.

Proud Saints !

It was a great final and the atmosphere when we equalized was beyond compare. Sheer ecstasy. But, we were robbed by the officials and the media are all very much on our side over that appalling decision to disallow Gabbiadini's first goal. However, what ultimately cost us the game was Puel taking Gabbiadini off 5 minutes from the end. All Saints fan were perplexed at such a shocking decision and thought if we get to extra time who on earth can score our winner now? If he'd been left out there instead of Ward-Prowse that cross that flew across would probably have been buried in the United goal and we'd have won. It also lifted the United players spirits to see our main threat taken off. We'd have felt the same way if Mourinho had taken Ibrahimovic off 5 minutes from the end. I don't but this Gabbiadini was tired excuse. He looked more full of running than most of the players left out on the pitch and hurtled down the tunnel full of energy, frustrated at not being allowed to finish the game.

If only Mourinho had taken their best player off before the end of the game and ours hadn't. If only... What might have been

Nevertheless, even though he wasn't allowed by the officials or our manager to win the winner's medal he deserved, I am grateful that we had such a wonderful player playing for us today and the way he led our fight back and shook United's confidence.

And the winner for the Alpine Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud Award goes to........

Which songs, other than owts did our support sing?
we sang a coule of others, but OWTS is an anthem for us that all can sing. I suppose you wanted us to sing about Pompey lol

At least we sang one more song than those United fans. Pathetic bunch, there end was just a dark soulless mire